Start by marking “Trial by Fury (J.P. Beaumont, #3)” as Want to Read:
Trial by Fury (J.P. Beaumont, #3)

Trial by Fury (J.P. Beaumont #3)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  2,961 Ratings  ·  134 Reviews
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published December 1st 1986 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Trial by Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trial by Fury

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardThe Color Purple by Alice WalkerMatilda by Roald DahlWatchmen by Alan Moore
Best Books of the Decade: 1980's
462nd out of 1,375 books — 1,632 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonTell No One by Harlan CobenHeavy Duty People by Iain ParkeEveryone Burns by John Dolan
Favourite Crime & Thrillers
273rd out of 747 books — 691 voters

More lists with this book...

Judy
Jun 20, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good mystery by Jance. The Beaumont character is so different from Johanna Brady. I like the setting and both characters, and will continue with both series.
Megargee
Jan 24, 2015 Megargee rated it liked it
I think the only fictional detectives who log more time in their vehicles than Beaumont and Peters are Tony Hillerman's Navajo tribal policemen Leaphorn and Chee and they have to cover the whole Navajo nation. Part way through this third novel in the Beaumont series, my wife and I downloaded a map of the Seattle are so we could follow their paths as they shuttled back and forth across the lake interviewing witnesses (always in restaurants) and following various leads as they investigate the app ...more
Thomas Bruso
May 31, 2014 Thomas Bruso rated it really liked it
In her usual page-driven narrative, J. A. Jance delivers another fast-paced suspense story like no other author working today. It is a riveting, aggressive work of fiction at its very best.

"Trial By Fury," a third solid homerun in the ongoing J. P. Beaumont mystery series, unravels a gruesome discovery for the acerbic detective in the form of a high school coach. Left behind a dumpster, the body is later identified as Darwin Ridley, a victim of a hate crime--a lynching, no less.

The story moves a
Karen
Sep 11, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
This was another decent mystery/police procedural by Jance. Beaumont is trying to figure out who killed a coach. The man left behind a pregnant wife, but it seems that he is not a perfect husband. Beau hates to think that his wife had something to do with his murder.

One thing that separates Jance's books stand separate from many other series, is that the books can stand by themselves outside of the series. If you pick one up from the middle of the series you will still enjoy the book, and find
Sheila
Dec 17, 2010 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this series of police dramas but I got turned off by the narration in the audiobook and switched to large print book instead. In this book J.P. Beaumont is investigating what appears to be a lynching of a black basketball coach in a primarily white school in Seattle. On closer investigation there is a lot more going on. I gave it 4 stars.

I previously read this book in Dec. 2010 but didn't realize it until well into the book.
Dyana
Sep 15, 2015 Dyana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yeh - this book is the 3rd in the series and the 1st one where Detective J.P. Beaumont doesn't fall in love with a deranged female murderer. Someone else in the book does. If the reader has read future books in the series, this is the book where we find out how Beau's partner, Ron Peters, becomes paralyzed.

A nude black High School coach, Darwin Ridley, is discovered behind a dumpster at a Seattle grocery store. He was the basketball coach at a prestigious all-white high school on Mercer Island.
Nancy
Jun 20, 2014 Nancy rated it liked it
Starte this one today and read the whole thing. it helped that I was in the car for 6-7 hours and that my husband was listening to a tedious Tom Clancy audiobook (I admit - my fault because I checked it out of the library for him since we were going on a 6-day road trip). The other books I am reading require more concentration; this I could read with the background distraction. It is not the best J. P. Beaumont mystery but it kept me entertained. An African-American basketball coach (at an elite ...more
Lenny Findley
Jan 13, 2014 Lenny Findley rated it liked it
This book was both the most and least enjoyable of the J.P.Beaumont series so far. Beau was at his most erasable self in this book, but I found the ending unsatisfying. The development of the story was great, but then you find out who did it and bang she gets killed in a car wreck. Peters survives, but you're left hanging. I'm left with very mixed feelings about the book.

I've read all of the Ally Reynolds books, and most of the Joanna Brady books, and had started reading J.P. Beaumont books as I
Norma
Aug 16, 2014 Norma rated it really liked it
Jance never disappoints..this time Beaumont is on the trail of the killer of a high school basketball coach. I know Seattle only slightly, but, some of the places are familiar and I always wonder 'Does that restaurant or that school or that hotel really exist?' I'm saving all of these re-reads for whenever it's time to go to "the home".... Or maybe I'll become a fan of Audio books. I hope that's a good many years away and they'll all sound vaguely familiar and I'll figure out who the killer is b ...more
Stephanie Benoit
Sep 12, 2015 Stephanie Benoit rated it really liked it
Ok, well I flew through that book with only a little eyestrain and dry corneas. These books really hook and drag me in.

I am beginning to feel either the author or the character, Beau, or both, are a little disrespectful when describing some of the overweight characters. It really does bug me. We'll see if it continues in the next book. I don't appreciate some of these characterizations. Maybe I am a bit oversensitive but the prejudice is jarring to me and I knocked a star off because of it. I w
Joan
May 20, 2015 Joan rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Beau and his partner are called in to find the killer of a championship basketball coach. The coach is black so the detectives don't know if the killing is based on race. The games the cheer leaders are playing each year is appalling. The coach's pregnant wife was going to divorce him. There are many clues that lead in different directions. Beau's partner is injured and the book ends with him caring for the girls. Beau is always a kind and careful man. Good story with a few disgusting parts.
Phyllis
Mar 24, 2015 Phyllis rated it it was amazing
The dead body discovered in a Seattle dumpster was shocking enough--but equally disturbing was the manner of death. The victim, a high school coach, had been lynched, leaving behind a very pregnant wife to grieve over his passing, and to wonder what dark and disturbing secrets he took to his grave. A homicide detective with twenty years on the job, J.P. Beaumont knows this case is a powder keg and he fears where this investigation will lead him. Because the answers lie on the extreme lethal edge ...more
Neil Mudde
Jul 25, 2011 Neil Mudde rated it liked it
Another great read by Jance, filled with all sorts of characters that kept me glued to the book, good heavens there were twists and turns which I really do not want to give away in order to spoil the reading of the book for others.
The book is filled with love, of sorts, racism, twisted personalities, and several surprises, as sometime I felt I knew were the author was going, or thought I did, and surprise, surprise the story took on a total different conclusion.
As a gay male, I tend to be sensit
Ed
Aug 17, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
#3 in the J.P. Beaumont series. Finalist 1987 Anthony Award for Best Mystery.

J.P. Beaumont, Seattle police detective, investigates the body of a nude black man found behind a dumpster - evidence shows he was hung before being dumped. The victim was a high school basketball coach with a very pregnant wife. The case leads to the high school's cheerleaders, their faculty advisor, the principal, and the life threatening injury of his partner, Ron Peters.

Stephanie Buck
Apr 26, 2015 Stephanie Buck rated it it was ok
3rd in the JP Beaumont series from 1986.

In this edition we discover that old-fashioned detective J.P. Beaumont is homophobic and sexist but capable of learning to be a better person. There is also another crazy female murderer. This time he does not get involved with the crazy female murderer, but his partner does.

Notable quotes that either had me laughing or cringing:

"Are you kidding? I dropped the crate and lost my cookies!"

"I'm not a homophobic, exactly, but I confess to being prejudiced. I d
Carol
Feb 05, 2014 Carol rated it it was ok
I am a huge fan of J.A. Jance. I enjoy the J.P. Beaumont series but this book was a train wreck!..The third book in the series (1986). Detective's Beaumont and his partner Peters are on the case of a dead high school basketball coach. A good story line....but, the constant bickering and out guessing between Beaumont and Peters made me want to trash the book. Jance had some good characters,but then they all seemed to go "out of character"....
Marty
Sep 14, 2016 Marty rated it liked it
Third in the J. P. Beaumont series. I actually read as part of an anthology of the first three novels.

Good story, but it's a bit annoying ending with almost a cliff-hanger. I suppose the first two in the series did also, but in this case it's very obvious. Authors should be attracting readers with the brilliance of their stories, not roping them in with unfinished plot lines.
Dana
Jun 24, 2016 Dana rated it liked it
I just couldn't get into this one as much as the others. I'm starting to not care for the main character. Also, there are several times he refers back to characters in the previous novels without really explaining who they are. Luckily I've read them, but I think it would be irritating to people who are just picking up the book. I'm not sure if I will continue reading the series.
Laurel Deloria
Complicated plot, Good read
Trial By FuryThe body lying naked and dead in a Seattle Dumpster was a shock. But even more shocking was the manner in which he died. The victim, a high school coach, was lynched -- a grim echo from a dark past -- leaving behind a very pregnant wife with a very dangerous secret. And a sixth sense... (learn more about this book)
Carole Anderson
Jul 06, 2014 Carole Anderson rated it it was amazing
J.A. Jance is one of my favorite authors. I first fell in love with Joanna Brady, then found J.P. Beaumont. I found the Beaumont books after she had written several, so Ron Peters was always paralyzed - not I know the whole story. As always, my attention never wavers during the book and I have to read the whole thing from start to finish. This was another great story!!!
Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
An average thriller. The plot is an oft-used one. Scorned woman and the fury that leads to murder. Why is it such a favorite of writers.? From the very beginning,the story was transparent,you could see the motive and the perpetrator. I guess this is my first reading of this author and I rate her nowhere near the good ones,but I'll try a few more just to make sure.
Dan Smith
Sep 25, 2016 Dan Smith rated it it was amazing
A body is found behind a store. It is the body of a black man who, the police discover has been hung. Beaumont and his partner go to great lengths to find the murderer and cash in on a couple of prospects only to find out that a person who has been giving then info was the one they had overlooked. I love the Beaumont series.
Brenda Benoit
Apr 11, 2016 Brenda Benoit rated it really liked it
Beau is really starting to grow on me. He's old fashioned in so many ways and his reaction to advancing technology just cracks me up. I have to keep reminding myself of the time period of this series which in turn makes me realize just how far we have come in how resources are used to solve crimes. So many times I would stop and think if Beau just had a cell phone things could have turned out so differently. His relationship with Ron is like that of brothers - they can fight and bicker like nobo ...more
Tracy Stackhouse
Aug 06, 2016 Tracy Stackhouse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cliff Hanger

Beware - if you like this series, you will be wanting the next one right now. I have it on hold at my library and am getting impatient. Excellent series - good character development, tight writing, good plot twists.
Marie
Jun 22, 2015 Marie rated it really liked it
I have read Jance's other series, but not the J.P. Beaumont ones. Yet. So Here I go. I do like detective stories and I like Jance's writing style. This one was exciting and interesting with just enough human interest and compassion to make it worthwhile.
Mum
Jun 24, 2014 Mum rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The J. P. Beaumont series, while interesting is not as engaging as the Joanna Brady series does have its good moments. It's weaknesses about traffic jams, senseless murders and an arch-enemy in the media continue to weaken what is otherwise a perfectly good mystery.
Diana
Jun 15, 2014 Diana rated it really liked it
I have read the JP Beaumont series out of order & I finally read this installment (book #3) & was very pleasantly surprised by the story & the writing. I knew JA Jance is a great writer, but even her earlier books are very good, as this book shows.
Pamela
Dec 25, 2014 Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read even if predictable

I liked the book because I like the characters of Beaumont and Peters. The plot was somewhat easy to predict. The book contains enough information to keep the story interesting.
Peggy
Jan 28, 2016 Peggy rated it liked it
I listened to this audiobook. J. P. Beaumont is a Seattle detective. In this story Beau and his partner Ron Peters are investigating the murder of a high school basketball coach. They uncover as candle within the school and Ron is placed in danger.
Pattie
Mar 11, 2016 Pattie rated it really liked it
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • A Brace of Bloodhounds
  • The Seduction of Peter S.
  • The Demon of River Heights (Nancy Drew: Girl Detective Graphic Novels, #1)
  • The Dark Wind (Leaphorn & Chee, #5)
  • Black Hearts and Slow Dancing (Mac Fontana, #1)
  • Canto for a Gypsy
  • Stripped (Jonathan Stride, #2)
  • Hunting Season (Anna Pigeon, #10)
  • Borderlines (Joe Gunther #2)
  • Cast In Stone (Leo Waterman, #2)
  • Shadow Woman (Jane Whitefield, #3)
  • Death of an Artist: A Mystery
  • The Alpine Betrayal (Emma Lord, #2)
  • Diamond Solitaire (Peter Diamond, #2)
  • The Serpents Trail (Maxie and Stretch, #1)
  • The British Cross (November Man, #4)
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

Series:
* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann
More about J.A. Jance...

J.P. Beaumont (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Until Proven Guilty (J.P. Beaumont, #1)
  • Injustice for All (J.P. Beaumont, #2)
  • Taking the Fifth (J.P. Beaumont, #4)
  • Improbable Cause (J.P. Beaumont, #5)
  • A More Perfect Union (J.P. Beaumont, #6)
  • Dismissed with Prejudice (J.P. Beaumont, #7)
  • Minor in Possession (J.P. Beaumont, #8)
  • Payment in Kind (J.P. Beaumont, #9)
  • Without Due Process (J.P. Beaumont, #10)
  • Failure to Appear (J.P. Beaumont, #11)

“In the world of murder and mayhem, liars are losers. And they’re usually guilty.” 0 likes
“When are you going to give up and accept the inevitable? Automation and microchips are here to stay.” 0 likes