Start by marking “Oscar Otter” as Want to Read:
Oscar Otter

Oscar Otter

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  116 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
When the otter slide is blocked by a beaver building a dam, Oscar Otter decides to go against his father's advice and attempts to build the biggest otter slide ever. What he doesn't know is that someone is watching him.
Published (first published April 27th 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Oscar Otter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oscar Otter

Elijah Libert
This was Elijah's first book read!!
Edward Creter
I like this story so much I had to read it twice just to make sure. Oscar Otter thinks he can climb a mountain on his own without getting lost in the forest. Little does he know such animals as the local fox, the mountain lion and a moose want him for breakfast! Watch out, Oscar! Very good for kids.
Adrienne Furness
Another gem I found while weeding the beginning readers. It's really funny, and I think it would make a fun read-aloud. It might even be a good story to memorize and tell, but then you'd miss out on the Lobel illustrations, which are, per usual, fantastic.
Elizabeth Scheller Williams
May 14, 2015 Elizabeth Scheller Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids of all ages
I collect otters and my daughter needed a new book...guess what we read a lot of?
Cosette
I caught the moral, I think, but my daughter didn't.
Crystal
Oct 10, 2007 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all children and parents of children
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
This was one of my very favorite books when I was a child. I LOVED IT! I can still recite the first line or two: "Oscar the Otter was a young otter. He lived by the side of the pond." My mother must have had this book burned into her eyeballs by the time I outgrew it--and I hope to do the same for my children someday.
Cedric
Dec 28, 2009 Cedric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book on a whim because I like otters.
ha! it was SO much fun! The artwork is pretty minimal, but it's beautiful. And the moose is my favorite character! What a fun book. Definitely read this with your kids... or if you're an adult like me and you want to just enjoy five minutes of a cute book.
Erik Erickson
Apr 08, 2013 Erik Erickson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oscar Otter has a simple plot with a traditional moral to it's story. I really enjoyed the simple ink pen and watercolor illustrations with short word phrases, making it both a figurative and literal page-turner.
Dolly
May 22, 2009 Dolly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009
Silly story about an otter who disobeys his father and goes off to have an exciting adventure. I'm not sure if this was meant to teach a lesson or what, but I wasn't overly impressed.
Jubilation Lee
Poor Oscar. All he wanted to do was go sledding in the woods -- alas, that the woods was apparently infested with foxes, bobcats, wolves, *and* moose. Weirdly crowded, really.
Lorelei
Mar 28, 2009 Lorelei rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, childrens
I really good story for beginning readers or read aloud to the younger ones. Lots of exciting fun.
Ara
the story seems to be a bit too week.. and kids didn't like it.
Alana
Loses a star for the ending. Don't be smart??
Miss Clark
Fantastic little story:)
Melaine
Melaine marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Deborah O'Carroll
Deborah O'Carroll rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
Bob Wu
Bob Wu is currently reading it
May 30, 2016
April
April marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Kelly Coates
Kelly Coates rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Shaelysa Dodd
Shaelysa Dodd marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Richard Ferguson
Richard Ferguson marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
F.
F. marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Jackie
Jackie rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Morris the Moose
  • A Picture for Harold's Room
  • Dinosaur Time
  • Henry and Mudge in the Sparkle Days (Henry and Mudge, #5)
  • Oliver
  • Biscuit's New Trick
  • The Berenstain Bears at the Aquarium
  • Dixie
  • Little Chick
  • Fancy Nancy: Just My Luck!
  • Amelia Bedelia Hits the Trail
  • Splat the Cat with a Bang and a Clang
  • Red Ted and the Lost Things
  • Norman the Doorman
  • Nate the Great and the Tardy Tortoise
Born in Newton, Massachusetts to a literary family, he was the son of Gertrude Darling and Robert Benchley (1889-1945), the noted American writer, humorist, critic, actor, and one of the founders of the Algonquin Round Table in New York City.

Nathaniel Benchley was the highly-respected author of many children's/juvenile books that provided learning for the youthful readers with stories of various a
More about Nathaniel Benchley...