Start by marking “Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss, #2)

Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss #2)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  122,983 Ratings  ·  13,126 Reviews
There is an alternate cover edition for this ISBN13 here.

In this companion novel to "Anna and the French Kiss," two teens discover that true love may be closer than they think
Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn't believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit - more sparkly, more fun, more wild - the better. But even though Lola's style is
Published September 29th 2011 by Dutton Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Lola and the Boy Next Door, please sign up.

Aleeza Athar I had a similar question before reading this novel and the answer is: Yes, it is. It isn't about the same characters but it's about a girl who works…moreI had a similar question before reading this novel and the answer is: Yes, it is. It isn't about the same characters but it's about a girl who works with Anna. Anna and Etienne appear a lot in the novel as Lola's friends. Also, if you want to know what happened to them after Anna and the French Kiss, you should definitely read this. Hope i helped. (less)

Sophia.
Oh, gosh. I really cannot understand all the good reviews for this book (even if half of them were given BEFORE the book actually came out, which, if you ask me, is completely stupid). To say it's overrated is an understatement.

This book is such a huge disappointment. I guess this is a typical example of what happens when you fantasize so much about something that you've actually built up this ideal in your mind... which has nothing to do with reality, sadly. Careful people, spoilers ahead.

I'd
tonya.
Here's the thing. I think Stephanie Perkins is in my head. Or at least my daydreams. How else could she consistently write characters that seem to be tailor-made to hit my flutter buttons? Etienne for my anglophilia, Max for my tattooed, Buddy Holly glasses wearing (view spoiler) rocker boy, and Cricket. Cricket for everything I've ever wanted in a real boy.

Because that's the beauty of Lola and the Bo
Flannery
Jun 17, 2011 Flannery rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People Who Read Anna & The French Kiss
Did you read Anna and the French Kiss?:
A.YES, I loved it!
B.YES, it was okay.
C.YES, and I didn’t like it.
D.NO, but I intend to.
E.NO, it’s not for me.

If you picked A, B, or D, please proceed to review #1.
If you picked C or E, please proceed to review #2.
__________________________________________________
Review #1:
LOVE! This book is fun, fun, fun (til her daddy takes the T-bird away). It has a very similar feeling to its companion novel Anna and the French Kiss—a teenage girl who already has a boyf
Lyndsey
Set to "Copacabana" by Barry Manilow.

Her name is Lo-la. She's a steal-the-show girl.
With purple stripeys in her hair, wearing leggings worthy of Cher.
She's friends with Etienne, and of course, with An-na.
The boy next door draws on his hand, and Lola yearns to understand.
Across their midnight lawn, they talked from dusk til dawn.
They were young and needed each other.
But did the boy next door want more?

At Lola's, Lola Nolan's Casa.
The hottest thing since Etienne and Anna!
At Lola's, Lola Nolan's Ca
Ariana
Dec 23, 2010 Ariana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ariana by: JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko

I'm definitely going to burn in hell..
Oh, that awkward moment when everybody loves a book and you don't understand why... You know that feeling, right? Well, yeah, I'm pretty much living it.

It's not that I DIDN'T LIKE the book, it's just that I didn't LIKE it.. Does it make any sense to you, because for me there is a whole damn big difference.

Anyways, this is not Anna's book-sister, this is more like the evil stepsister.. It  actually managed to  raise my blood pressure, unfortunately not in a
Limonessa
The thing about Lola and the boy next door is that, since it's a companion book, it's inevitable to make a comparison with Anna and the French Kiss which, in this case, comes out as a disadvantage because, as far as I am concerned, Anna is the absolute winner.

Lola is a really cute story: she is a quirky, raised by gay parents, unique teenage girl.
When her first crush and ex-neighbor, Cricket, reappears on her doorstep after two years, things get complicated because Lola already has a boyfriend,
Tatiana
Jun 22, 2011 Tatiana rated it really liked it
I don't know how I am going to justify this rating. Books like Lola and the Boy Next Door rarely work for me. I dislike chick-lit, I dislike two-timing/emotionally cheating/lying heroines, I dislike when the "wrong" guy in books with love triangles is vilified at the last minute to make it right for the heroine to break up with him. And yet I liked this book that contains all these elements.

This novel is just such a light, breezy, charming read. The main character, who would normally annoy the
Aj the Ravenous Reader

One thing I have to appreciate about this story is its glaring reminder that is to NEVER EVER ENTER A SERIOUS RELATIONSHIP WHEN YOU’RE UNSURE OF YOURSELF and I know age isn’t always an indication of a person’s maturity but in this case and it’s most often, sixteen year olds are yet on their way to discovering who they are and like what I’ve already mentioned, when you’re 16, be 16. I don’t have to explain that further.^^

Truthfully speaking, I didn’t like the significant first half of the story
Emily May
Jul 10, 2011 Emily May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Yay for warm fuzzies. Stephanie Perkins has a talent and that talent is for making me happy, allowing me to enjoy the entire reading experience, laugh at times and come away with no deep sense of revelation - just the knowledge that I will have to get my hands on whatever she writes next. Her writing may be light and mostly meaningless but it achieves one of the greatest things a book possibly can: fun.

And that's just it... this book is silly, mindless fun. I'm not sure why some people who enjo
Christine Riccio
adorable and wonderful! didn't want to put it down =)
Jessica (priceiswong)
Apr 25, 2013 Jessica (priceiswong) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own
I first read this book in May of 2013, and fell in love with Lola and Cricket's story. For some reason, I never wrote out a proper review for it though (although I do have reviews for Anna and the French Kiss and Isla and the Happily Ever After)

I just finished my first reread of the book, and it was the audiobook version. It was so good! I was so happy to be back with Lola and Cricket again! I love that this story is set in San Fransisco, and I just love all of the characters!

Lola reminds me of
Arlene
Dec 29, 2010 Arlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Anna and the French Kiss
Recommended to Arlene by: Etienne. I'm sticking to it... =)
First off, a huge thanks to Rebecca for giving me this ARC. Thank you!!

♥ ♥ ♥ ABSOLUTELY CRUSH-WORTHY♥ ♥ ♥

HOLY CRICKET!! I am absolutely in love with Lola and the Boy Next Door! I’m not denying it, I have a HUGE crush on this book and it’s not going away. Stephanie Perkins, without a doubt did it again. She’s managed to tap into my inner giddy making me a shameless book hugger. For fans of Anna and the French Kiss eagerly anticipating Lola and the Boy Next Door breathe with ease. This book is fr
Alyssa
You know how all you Harry Potter fans were, like, living for the release of the seventh book, and then how some were disappointed in it? Lola was my disappointing Deathly Hallows.

You see, Anna and I, we hit it off. She smacked me in the face when I needed a slap, she caressed my stupid romantic heart, and she left me laughing out loud and wanting more. Anna, well, she’s kind of the reminder in a genre full of heavy stuff that it’s okay to watch romantic comedies on Valentine’s Day with a box o
lena
Aug 01, 2016 lena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
cricket is the sweetest, but just wondering who the hell names their kid cricket?
Jiana
Jan 08, 2017 Jiana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No. NO. NO. JUST NO. This book is a mess. If you loved this book, then you might not want to read this review. Because I'm so annoyed right now. And my review will probably sound harsh to you. But I gotta let out all my anger.

Let me just start by saying that I loved Anna and the French Kiss. It was beyond enjoyable and adorable. But this? Oh my God. Lola and the Boy Next Door is a big fat NO. I'm beyond disappointed.

Cricket is a cutie. I liked Cricket. But, unfortunately, he was not enough to s
Priscilla
Nov 02, 2011 Priscilla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
D'AAWWWW, well isn't that just lovely.

Initial reactions:
1. GAH, the cuteness OVERWHELMS ME! *faints*
2. Okay. Serious business guys. Love the story. There are more things going on than just the boy next door. Family, figuring out who you really are, and growing up.
3. Writing is amazing of course. Perkins is able to write her main characters with such a voice. They are complete characters. I love how Lola has interests, and there are issues surrounding her life other than boy problems. And althoug
Anzu The Great Destroyer
** Favourite YA of 2011 **

OMG!

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!

How the hell am I supposed to review this without seeming sick or desperate?? I have no idea! …. But I’m going to try!

This was AMAZING! I was expecting it to be great, but there was still a part of me cringing at the idea that I might be too demanding and find out that it’s not so good. Well, it surpassed my expectations.

How can I best define Lola and the Boy Next Door?

I literally couldn’t put the book down. It got stuck to my hands. It beca
Amy (Foxy)
FOUR POINT FIVE STARS

Two years ago I remember reading the first book in this series and enjoying it. So, when I was looking through the library's audios and saw this one I thought, 'why not.'

First off, I liked this one more than the first book. I know it's been two years since I read book one but this one was more fun to read.

What got my attention right away was LOLA. What an interesting character. She's a senior in high school who has a boyfriend who happens to be five years older than her. Ri
Eren Nadir Akşamoğlu
Allahım en sonunda badboy olmayan bir erkek karakter. Şükürler olsun şükürler olsun \(^o^)/ Kitaba başlamadan önce bazı şüphelerim yok değildi. Sonuçta "Komşu Çocuk" ki biz bu zamana kadar ne komşu çocukları gördük. E haliyle en başta badboy-saf kız klişesi okuyacagimi düşündüm ama Cricket ve Lola beni benden aldı. Yaşasın düşüncelerini açık seçik dökmekten kaçınmayan, heyecanlaninca ellerini kollarını nereye koyacagini şaşıran hafif aksak erkeklerin kardeşliği (*︶*) ...more
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Oh. My. God. What a perfect little book! I wasn't expecting to love it so much. I enjoyed 'Anna and the French Kiss' but this one was on a whole other level. So good! I've been in the mood for fluffy contemporaries and this was perfect. I'll definitely read it again in the future when I need a smile.
Ninoska Goris
Lola viste extravagante y tiene una vida única: padres gays, madre alcohólica y sin hogar, mejor amiga que se cree Charlock Holmes, un novio rockero y un vecino que acaba de mudarse nuevamente a la casa de al lado con el cual tiene tema pendiente.

Aparecen Anna y St. Clair, quien va a la misma universidad que el mencionado vecino.

Parece complicado, pero no lo es. Es bastante predecible.
Ash Reads
Sep 13, 2015 Ash Reads rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
first read: September 21 - 22, 2015
first reread: March 8 - 12 , 2016

MARCH 2016: I loved it just as much the 2nd time around!!!

------
SEPTEMBER 2015: Totally loving these books! I think overall, I liked Anna's story better....but I definitely found more things that I could relate to in this book.

“Just because something isn't practical doesn't mean it's not worth creating. Sometimes beauty and real-life magic are enough.”

I really ended up liking Cricket, he is just...so awkward, and sweet and tal
Lucy
Lola and the Boy Next Door was a clumsy fumble for Stephanie Perkins. It had the potential to be something much better, but got bogged down with Anna's history and Isla's future. I often wondered how much of Lola was planned while Anna and the French Kiss was being written and how much of Lola's story was simply dictated by the circumstances the first story had and the third story would require. Even Perkins' charming writing couldn't really save the book after tying it to so many heavy bricks a ...more
Jenna Major
Oct 27, 2016 Jenna Major rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a fun read!
A bowl full of fun!

Stephanie Perkins has not disappointed me yet! Lola and The Boy Next door is about 17 year old Lola (or Dolores, if she's in trouble). She has an older boyfriend, strict parents and a great best friend. Her boyfriend Max is 22, in a band and totally cool. Her dads are strict, but caring and other than their strict dating rules, Lola doesn't mind. Lindsay is her best friend and can sense when something is up or guess how Lola is feeling almost immediately. Lola thinks she's hap

Whitney Atkinson

This book is exactly how I expected it to be. Light, meh main character, and predictable. The main thing I love about this is Stephanie Perkins is just a great writer. She writes contemporary romances so well and I really find it enjoyable to read. I knew going into this that the main thing I wouldn't get along with is Lola. I've heard things about Lola, and kinda had a preconceived notion of her, and my prediction that I wouldn't like her was correct. She just seemed.... ingenuine to m
Kimi

That's it I'm done.
DNFing this one. I honestly can't bear to read one more page.

Can someone please explain the hype to me? Usually when I dislike a popular book I can tell why everyone else loved but with this one I have absolutely no clue.

➨ I didn't like any of the characters. Especially not Lola and Cricket (out of all names she had to call him cricket) I know Lola is supposed to be different and awesome but wearing wigs every single day is just weird to me.

➨Lola is practically cheating on
Ariel
May 16, 2012 Ariel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in under 24 hours just like I did with Anna. IT WAS SO AMAZING . I WILL REVIEW SOON.

The worst part about this book is that I'm done reading it.
Seriously.

'Cila
Sep 17, 2016 'Cila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some books you read for their intellectual properties, some out of mere curiosity, and some because they make you happy, ... this is definitely one of those books. It's lighthearted and fun to read; it's not thought-provoking or something that will make you reevaluate life choices, but there's such a comfort in knowing that in the end it'll make you smile, and sometimes a happy-ending is exactly what the doctor recommended.
Macarena
Después de 3 meses volví a terminar un libro físico. Estoy tan feliz y fue tan tan hermoso. Adore este libro, no sé si me gusto más que Anna and The French Kiss pero lo ame lo ame lo ame. Y Cricket es amor.
Reseña completa en Gracias a los Libros.
Grace (LovingDemBooks) Z.
Buy this book HERE on Amazon or buy this book HERE on BookDepository with FREE WORLDWIDE SHIIPPING

3.5 out of 5 stars (Please read my rating system further below). GAH THIS BOOK WAS SO CUTE!!! I just wish that the cliche line "I release a breath I didn't know I was holding" UGHHHHHHH. Cricket <3

My rating system: (I do use half stars.)
5 - I do not use the 5 star. Not because a book might not be worthy, but because a book is never perfect.
4 - I loved it! There weren't too many flaws, and I h
  • Stealing Parker
  • The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon—and me, Ruby Oliver  (Ruby Oliver, #3)
  • Sean Griswold's Head
  • Past Perfect
  • Such a Rush
  • Audrey, Wait!
  • Five Flavors of Dumb
  • Saving Francesca
  • Just One Year (Just One Day, #2)
  • Amy & Roger's Epic Detour
  • Geek Girl
  • Adorkable
  • Saving June
  • The Liar Society (The Liar Society, #1)
  • Scarlett Fever (Scarlett, #2)
  • Bittersweet
  • A Midsummer's Nightmare
  • Smart Girls Get What They Want
Hi, there! I'm Steph, and I wrote Anna and the French Kiss, Lola and the Boy Next Door, and Isla and the Happily Ever After. I also edited (and contributed a short story to) a romantic holiday anthology called My True Love Gave to Me and its companion anthology, Summer Days and Summer Nights. My next YA release is a horror novel called There's Someone Inside Your House, which will be released Fall ...more
More about Stephanie Perkins...

Anna and the French Kiss (3 books)
  • Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1)
  • Isla and the Happily Ever After (Anna and the French Kiss, #3)

“I know you aren't perfect. But it's a person's imperfections that make them perfect for someone else.” 1869 likes
“Once upon a time, there was a girl who talked to the moon. And she was mysterious and she was perfect, in that way that girls who talk to moons are. In the house next door, there lived a boy. And the boy watched the girl grow more and more perfect, more and more beautiful with each passing year. He watched her watch the moon. And he began to wonder if the moon would help him unravel the mystery of the beautiful girl. So the boy looked into the sky. But he couldn't concentrate on the moon. He was too distracted by the stars. And it didn't matter how many songs or poems had already been written about them, because whenever he thought about the girl, the stars shone brighter. As if she were the one keeping them illuminated.

One day, the boy had to move away. He couldn't bring the girl with him, so he brought the stars. When he'd look out his window at night, he would start with one. One star. And the boy would make a wish on it, and the wish would be her name.

At the sound of her name, a second star would appear. And then he'd wish her name again, and the stars would double into four. And four became eight, and eight became sixteen, and so on, in the greatest mathematical equation the universe had ever seen. And by the time an hour had passed, the sky would be filled with so many stars that it would wake the neighbors. People wondered who'd turned on the floodlights.

The boy did. By thinking about the girl.”
1277 likes