Start by marking “Waking” as Want to Read:
Waking

Waking

Long live Ron Rash the storyteller, but heres the news. Ron Rash the poet is back and giving us poems that are both the river stones and the water making them shine. If allowed only two words for this wonderful poet, they would have to be clear and lithe.
Published October 1st 2011 by Hub City Press (first published August 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Waking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waking

James
Jan 04, 2016 James rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, 2015
I did not know Ron Rash was a poet until I discovered this book. I am familiar with his novels, particularly the amazing Serena, and short stories, which are distinctly Southern, often focusing on those who work hard yet seem to get pulled down further. His poetry is similar and very much the poetry of a storyteller with particular real locations and characters. There are beautiful moments here and I want to read more of this poet's work.
Larry Bassett
Apr 24, 2014 Larry Bassett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I was eager to read this most recent (2011) book of collected poetry by Ron Rash after reading his first three poetry offerings in recent weeks. Rash started with poetry and reviewers of his more recent novels note that as they praise his poetic use of words in his prose work. He is rapidly becoming more than a well known and well respected regional writer in the southern and Appalachian areas. His recent bestseller Serena and his short story collections have moved him into the national scene. M ...more
Serena
Sep 29, 2011 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Waking by Ron Rash — a collection of poems broken up into five parts — and the cover’s barren landscape with its snowed in vehicle is a perfect depiction of the run down landscape presented in the first selection of poems. From “Woodshed in Watauga County” (page 7) “as mud daubers and dust motes/drifted above like moments/unmoored from time, and the world/” and from “Junk Car in Snow” (page 8), “No shade tree surgery could/revive its engine, so rolled/into the pasture, left stalled/among cattle, ...more
Alarie
Jan 02, 2014 Alarie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I read this book of poems because I was taken by Rash’s rich use of language in his novel, Serena. He uses his powers of observation, knowledge of Appalachia, his culture and people, and concise word choice to full advantage. Many of the poems are snapshots or paintings in words in which little happens: the sort of poems I’m not usually fond of, but I give his 5 stars. Others are full of action, violence, and its aftermath, some about the Civil War. I’ll be going back to read them all again.
Laura Heller
Jan 10, 2016 Laura Heller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most poems in this collection I enjoyed, especially having lived in Appalachia and loving the wildness of the mountains. I liked the specific details of nature, and rural people working, and life and death cradled in nature and shadows of home. However, section IV seemed slightly out of place among the other poems, but nonetheless a great contribution. These are poems for feeling deeply the land and people in the mountains.
Terri
Jan 04, 2016 Terri rated it really liked it
Ron Rash continues to write evocative, earthy poetry rooted strongly in his sense of place. I especially loved the poem that inspired to the cover art.

Popsugar Reading Challenge Categories:

Under 150 pages
Finished in a day
Recommended by a family member
Poetry
Borrowed from library
Jan 12, 2016 Sarah rated it did not like it
I was surprised by how uninspired I was with this collection. For something with such a heavy focus on the beauty of the natural world and the rich but simple traditions of Southern Appalachia, this felt mighty forced and stuffy to me.
Will White
Feb 10, 2015 Will White rated it liked it
My first book of poetry I've reviewed and it fell short for me. Maybe the familiarity I have with the area actually took away from the impact. I do enjoy Ron Rash's other books and would recommend them all. I'll keep Waking on nightstand to see if I can better relate after a couple of reads.
Melissa
Nov 06, 2011 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Even if you don't like poetry, I think you'll love this book. Little gems of stories packed into poems, they bring to life people of the Southern Appalachians and many other places. I'm particularly fond of the first three sections.
Angela
Feb 07, 2015 Angela rated it really liked it
Beautiful little gems of poems, the best are stories or the basis for stories
Joyce
Jul 08, 2012 Joyce rated it it was amazing
I've read casually, now seriously. Superb
Robert Arndt
Apr 05, 2012 Robert Arndt rated it really liked it
Good NC mountain poetry that makes good use of the people and landscape.
Sara
Aug 29, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: local, poetry
This was my first Ron Rash to read and I liked it. I KNOW these places that he speaks of, the images spring up inside of me like home!
Samuel Gee
Samuel Gee rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2016
Jim Minick
Jim Minick rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2012
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2014
Scoutaccount
Scoutaccount rated it liked it
May 13, 2017
Tim
Tim rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2015
Pam
Pam rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Rennie Coleman
Rennie Coleman rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2016
CDB
CDB rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2014
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2014
Marly Rusoff
Marly Rusoff rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2015
William Clark
William Clark rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2014
Bethany Winter
Bethany Winter rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2013
R.K. Cowles
R.K. Cowles rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2014
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Amy Morrison
Amy Morrison rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2016
Linda Wimberly
Linda Wimberly rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2012
Paul Womack
Paul Womack rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Life of Emily Dickinson
  • Delphi Complete Works of Henry James (Illustrated)
  • The Lady in the Lake, The Little Sister, The Long Goodbye, Playback (Everyman's Library)
  • The New York Stories
  • A Summer of Hummingbirds: Love, Art, and Scandal in the Intersecting Worlds of Emily Dickinson, Mark Twain , Harriet Beecher Stowe, and Martin Johnson Heade
  • Helen in Egypt
  • Aeneid Book VI: A New Verse Translation
  • Dickinson: Selected Poems and Commentaries
  • Hard Twisted
  • Oswald's Tale: An American Mystery
Ron Rash is the author of the 2009 PEN/Faulkner Finalist and New York Times bestselling novel, Serena, in addition to three other prizewinning novels, One Foot in Eden, Saints at the River, and The World Made Straight; three collections of poems; and four collections of stories, among them Burning Bright, which won the 2010 Frank O'Connor International Short Story Award, and Chemistry and Other St ...more
More about Ron Rash...