Start by marking “Shameless (The House of Rohan, #4)” as Want to Read:
Shameless (The House of Rohan, #4)

Shameless (The House of Rohan #4)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  2,266 Ratings  ·  199 Reviews
A long string of tragic loves haunts Viscount Benedick Francis Alistair Rohan. Cool and cynical, he's weary of life's fickle games and wants a prim and proper wife he can ignore while indulging his sensual appetites.

Lady Melisande Carstairs is nothing less than a tornado storming into Benedick's measured life. Possessed of boundless energy and the soul of a reformer, Melis

Published June 21st 2011 by MIRA

To ask other readers questions about Shameless, please sign up.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
This is my first Anne Stuart book and I am kicking myself that I haven't read anything by her sooner! I am also feeling a little shamed that I have started this series on the fourth book, I am normally a stickler for reading a series in order.

Lord Benedick Rohan has come to London for two reasons, 1, to find a bland wife with whom he can create an heir and a spare and 2, to shag himself silly. But when Lady Melisande Carstairs, or Charity Carstairs, turns up on his door demanding that he helps h
Juliana Philippa
Wonderfully matched leading characters make this a supremely enjoyable romance (4 stars)

This was my first Anne Stuart and was a great one to start with. The plot is a good one, the chemistry sizzles, there are some wonderfully humorous lines, and the secondary characters are well-written, with two of them being extremely compelling (my guess is they get their own romance). I loved Melisande and Benedick together; there is a wonderful mix of antagonism and attraction to their relationship. They'r
Lelyana
Jan 01, 2012 Lelyana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Tara
Jul 01, 2011 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This whole series blows my mind. Shameless is another example why Anne Stuart is a superior writer/author.

We start with two less-than-perfect characters and immediately love them both. Someone is scarred, someone isn't tiny, blond and breathtakingly beautiful, someone has deep fears which incringe on everyday life and decisions. It doesn't matter how warped or twisted or scared or unreasonable these characters are, we love them. And that my friends, is good writing.

Benedick seemed tame in compa
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
This is more of a reminder of what this book is about than a proper opinion. I liked it. I'll rate it a bit higher since I got a sort of an epilogue for the previous book here. Miranda and Lucien make an appearance and they are great.
"“You’ve known her all your life,” Lucien retorted. “Do you really think I have a chance in hell of keeping her home?”
“Oh, you’re a fearsome creature, indeed, Scorpion.”
“Stuff it. Your sister is enough to terrify anyone.”
This isn't a 'thirty years later' type of st
Katie Michaels
This is my first Anne Stuart book, but I can assure you, it won't be my last. Shameless is one of the best Historical Romance books I have read this year. It's fourth in the House of Rohan series, but at no time was I lost or confused by jumping in mid-series. I am, however, compelled to go track down and read the earlier installments, on the chance they are as good as this one.

Benedick Rohan has outlived two wives and a fiance. He has decided that he needs to find himself a new bride. You see,
Robin
Dec 31, 2015 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Viscount Benedick Rohan has returned to London in search of a wife. Since his last two wives have died in childbirth, Benedick wants to find a biddable woman to give him an heir and retire to the country never to bother him again. After that he can accommodate as many mistresses, widows and whores as he can stand. His request for a nights entertainment leads to a meeting with Lady Melisande Carstairs. Melisande is on a mission to save as many prostitutes as possible by opening her home to them. ...more
Kathy Davie
Mar 03, 2012 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, history, funny
Fourth in the House of Rohan's historical romance series set in the London of 1842. The couple focus is on Lord Benedick Rohan and Lady Melisande "Charity" Carstairs.

My Take
Too funny! It's like a sex manual for the innocent with Charity taking in soiled doves and finding them new careers. Naturally, these ladies of the evening repay her with lots of useful advice that Benedick just doesn't see coming. Too bad she didn't follow their advice about the nightgown…!

It's all rather slapstick comedy be
Caroline The HEA Lover
(this review was originally published on Secret HEA Society)

Shameless is the 4th book in the House of Rohan series. I am a big fan of this series and I just couldn't wait to read this last installment. It was on my Auto-read list, it was such a sure thing in my mind that I would read it that I didn't read the book synopsis. So when I started the book, I didn't really connect the dots. You see, the first 3 books followed the House of Rohan on 3 generations. So I was expecting Shameless to be abou
Tzippy
Kelly
Jun 10, 2011 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, Anne Stuart, thank you so much for giving us this fun, fun book. It was delicious and decadent and I'm kinda in love with all your characters. All of them. Especially the broken ones.

First things first, despite being the 4th book in the series I had no problems at all jumping into the lives of the characters. I have read the free prequel (The Wicked House of Rohan - available here) and enjoyed it immensely, but seeing as the prequel deals with the current Viscount's great-uncle (I think, may
Jen
Jan 27, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stuart
This installment of the House of Rohan was not as good as the last three. Benedick Rohan is the older brother of Miranda (Breathless) and son to Adrian and Charlotte (Reckless). He is unlucky when it comes to keeping his wives alive. They keep dying in childbirth. So he has come to London to find a breeder to give him some heirs and lots of women to keep him occupied otherwise.

Unfortunately for Benedick, Melisande has made it her crusade to reform old prostitutes, madame, light 'o loves and so o
Duchess Nicole
Anne Stuart is officially the queen of the tortured hero, and this series is phenomenal. I have been consumed with Benedick and Melisande. Each of them is unique and yet Ms. Stuart has found a way to make me adore them both.

Benedick is similar to the other Rohans (and Lucien) in that his lifestyle has led him to live the rest of his days in a nihilistic, apathetic stupor. To top it off, he's had the worst run of luck with wives, losing three women to either madness or childbirth. He is determi
Crista
Perhaps I am getting a bit spoiled by Anne Stuart's consistency and her "formula" that works so well for me. I love Anne Stuart's bad boy's, I love that her books contain secondary love stories that are as compelling as the primary love stories, and I love that I know what I'm going to get when I pick up one of this awesomely talented author's books.

Shameless threw me for a loop.

Although I loved the story and recommend the book wholeheartedly, it left me a bit disappointed because it definitely
Rebecca ♥ Ash, Kishan, Warner ♥
This is probably my second favourite of the series after Ruthless. Benedick was actually nice, which is weird, because I read this series for its dark heroes. Sure, he is a rake, but he isn't an asshole like his father and grandfather were. And Melisande is the first heroine not to get kidnapped by the hero at some point in the story. I guess I wasn't in the mood for a dark hero as much as I thought, since I still enjoyed this so much.

But what happened to Brandon?! Anne Stuart's novels always h
willaful
Sep 29, 2011 willaful rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: series completionists only
A bit different from other Stuart books, because the hero is not a bad boy and has loved before. Even so, it felt stale and extremely repetitive; he just keeps thinking the same thoughts over and over. I liked the characters, but otherwise it was pretty meh. The secondary romance had a lot of potential but was given short shrift, so perhaps another book about those characters is coming.
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: June 28, 2011 (Available Now!)
Publisher: Harlequin
Imprint: Mira
Author’s Website: http://www.anne-stuart.com/
My Source for This Book: Netgalley
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 4, House of Rohan
Series Best Read In Order: Works well as a standalone
Steam Level: Steamy

I should probably preface this with a disclaimer: I adore Anne Stuart. She has the incredibly tendency to write the most delicious heroes, a
Bekah
Benedick Rohan has had the worst luck in love. He’s loved and lost many, and for now he wants to just find a woman he can marry who will leave him be. His plan; to come to London, find his next wife, and then find the woman who he will spend his nights in bed with. They are two separate women of course. However his plans are interrupted by Melisande “Charity” Carstairs quite literally at the worst possible moment. Once she has stormed into his life, he finds his life is never quite the same agai ...more
Quinn
Let me start by saying that I am not a fan of this author’s contemporary Ice series. I abandoned that one after the first book having been told that the each of the ‘heroes’ in the subsequent books were cut from the same cold, heartless, soulless cloth.

That said, it seems that I can now say that I am a fan of this series. Well…… With the exception of the undoubtedly well-written train-wreck that was Breathless.

Many fans of this author seem to have been disappointed with Shameless, possibly due t
Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess
Reviewed for Wickedly Bookish

I was graciously provided with a copy for review by Netgalley for Harlequin. Having never read this series before with the exception of a short story, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that this book could easily be read on its own. I absolutely loved the setting, characters, and sultry situations the couple gets themselves into.

Bennedick Rohan is in the market for a new wife after the loss of his previous two to childbirth.
Alba Turunen
En realidad un 2'5. Reconozco que no me ha parecido una gran conclusión para la serie, creo que esperaba una historia más entera o sensual como la de los padres. Tampoco tengo mucho con qué comparar porque sólo he leído el 2º y 4º libro, pero "Juegos de seducción" me gustó mucho más.

La historia de Benedick y Melisande me ha dejado fría, muy fría, apenas he sentido amor o pasión entre ellos. Él está tan preocupado en no volver a enamorarse para no perderla, que no sientes que la quiera en ningún
ALPHAreader
Jul 02, 2011 ALPHAreader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decades ago Benedick Rohan’s grandfather birthed ‘The Heavenly Host’. A decadently erotic party where the elite ton could let down their hair and partake of scandalous orgies and phony demonic rituals. The ‘Host’ tradition was passed down the Rohan line, to Benedick’s father and then it vanished into gossip oblivion . . . until now.

Benedick Rohan is the eldest of the Rohan clan, and the most jaded. He has lost two wives to childbirth and a sister to the devilish Scorpion. His younger brother, B
Liz F
Jun 19, 2012 Liz F rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHAAAAAAT?!?!?!? This book was frickin awesome! Wow wow wow! I seriously hope this isn't the end of the series because...well... just because (I don't want to give anything away).

Ok, so here's the rundown. Shameless is book 4 of the House of Rohan series. This one is about Benedick Rohan. No, that is not a typo. His name is Benedick.... with a "d" "i" "c" "k". Lord have mercy why do these authors have just ridiculous names for characters!?? LOL! Anyways, Benedick (quit giggling!) is the oldest o
Nisha
Sadly, I am being generous to rate this 4 stars. This book had so much to offer us and Ms. Stuart botches it. Alright, I enjoyed certain parts of it, but the fact that I was disappointed should be taken under consideration, right?

Benedict Rohan is cursed when it comes to love. He's already suffered a failed engagment (remember crazy suicidal sister of Lucien, from book 3?) and 2 wives dying during childbirth (one that he loved wholeheartedly and the other a monumental biatch). So, clearly, Rohan
Lea's Audiobooks Hensley
Narrated by Susan Ericksen
As a fan of The House of Rohan series, I find myself gasping in both horror and delight as I listen to each entry. These edgy stories with their cold, ruthless heroes are definitely not for the faint of heart. All with heroes “you love to hate” at one point or another, each of the four books has been my favorite of the series until the next one comes along. Now book 4, Shameless, holds the honor.

Benedick, Viscount Rohan, stands out from the other Rohan heroes in that he
SidneyKay
Jun 28, 2011 SidneyKay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-regency
Bonnie
‘Shameless’ was kindly provided to me by Netgalley for Harlequin.

This is the 4th novel in the House of Rohan series by Anne Stuart. This is actually the first book I’ve read of hers and found it worked as a stand-alone novel. I loved how this story was more than just a simple romance novel; it was also a mystery with a very interesting storyline that proceeded to completely absorb me.

The Viscount Benedick Rohan has only two goals in mind: One, find a suitable woman to marry and have children wit
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under The Covers

And we have finally come to Benedick. Viscount Benedick Rohan is one of Adrian's sons. We first meet him in the last book where he was the cause for his sister meeting Lucien. As always with the heroes in this series, he's a bad, bad boy. And he has a way of making you like it that he is. He is in London now looking for soft and demure woman to bear his children, and to have some fun.

Instead he finds Melisande. First point, I love the name. And I really
Twiggy
Oct 24, 2011 Twiggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well I enjoyed this much more than the last book and it definitely had a softer tone than the others in the series.

The basic plot is that Benedict has been extremely unlucky in love: a fiance went mad and shot herself, his first wife whom he loved died in child birth and his second wife, was chronically unfaithful before she too died in child birth. In essence he is thrice bitten and not keen to have to care again. he does however need an heir and so determines to marry again - but to someone h
  • Seduction & Scandal (The Brethren Guardians, #1)
  • In Total Surrender (Secrets, #3)
  • Romancing the Countess (Romancing, #1)
  • A Lady's Lesson in Scandal
  • Midnight's Wild Passion
  • Unclaimed (Turner, #2)
  • Soldier of Fortune (Rakes and Rogues of the Restoration, #2 )
  • Desired (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #5)
  • Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3)
  • Forever and a Day (The Rumor, #1)
  • Scandal of the Year (Abandoned at the Altar, #2)
  • Lessons in French
  • How to Seduce a Scoundrel (How To #2)
  • The Best Man
  • After Dark with a Scoundrel (Lords of Vice, #3)
  • The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
Anne Stuart is a grandmaster of the genre, winner of Romance Writers of America's prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award, survivor of more than thirty-five years in the romance business, and still just keeps getting better.

Her first novel was Barrett's Hill, a gothic romance published by Ballantine in 1974 when Anne had just turned 25. Since then she's written more gothics, regencies, romantic sus
More about Anne Stuart...

The House of Rohan (4 books)
  • Ruthless (The House of Rohan, #1)
  • Reckless (The House of Rohan, #2)
  • Breathless (The House of Rohan, #3)

“You tell anyone that I cried, and I'll cut your liver out."
"Do you even know where a human liver resides?"[...]
"Yes," she said, and punched him in it.”
18 likes
“He should have known someone like Lucien de Malheur would offer no loyalty, no male solidarity.” 3 likes