The Happy Family: Restoring the 11 Essential Elements That Make Families Work

The Happy Family: Restoring the 11 Essential Elements That Make Families Work

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In their new book The Happy Family, NY Times #1 bestselling authors Linda and Richard Eyre argue that the social problems that are ravishing America--family breakups, escalating substance abuse, teen pregnancy--are the unfortunate result of hearts and minds turned away from the essentials of parenting, marriage and families. In this landmark work, the Eyres help parents to...more
Published June 18th 2002 by Golden Books Adult Publishing (first published March 15th 2001)

Pam
I think I'm on a parenting self-help kick. I get into these whenever I feel like I don't know what I'm doing. This book looked great and Jeff and I were reading it together but it focused too much on what I already knew--the world is EVIL--but with more focus on the non-sarcastic side of that statement. Yes, there are things to avoid in life but rather than tell me all about them with statistics a plenty tell me how to help teach my kids to choose to avoid them. We didn't even finish reading, in...more
Jason Galloway
we are trying to incorporate some of the things the Eyres have done. They are an impressive family. We also heard them speak in 2012 and do a fantastic job.
Annmarie
Mar 09, 2009 Annmarie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm thinking about reading this due to a lady who's reading it that I respect AND that I love the author's other books. Any comments from people who have read this would be appreciated to let me know if I should move this up on my list of "to read". OR if it's more for parenting teenagers so I have time to wait ??? Thanks.
Rachel
I really like the Eyre books, but I've skimmed way too many of them now, because all the stories/points are becoming repetitive. NOT that they aren't good ideas! I would say just stick to Teaching Your Children Values, How to Talk to Your Child about Sex, and then my favorite A Mother's Book of Secrets.
Lisa
Good sound principles. I especially appreciated how they defined the influences of organizations outside of the family. I hadn't taken time to consider the reasons why an outside organization would influence a family (innocently or otherwise). Now I see the picture a little more clearly.
Mulhollandj
This book is definitely dated. I didn't like their approach to some the issues and thought the book spent too much time on all the perceived woes. But the book did have some very good ideas on how to make families stronger.
JoAnn
Another great read from the Eyres. A good look at what society contributes to your family breakdown and how to battle it in order to preserve tight knit family bonds. Good stuff-
Heidi
I think the Eyres have some good practical ideas for families. I did not care for all the ideological/political commentary in this book, though.
Malina
I think there are some great ideas in here about really making your family the center of you and your kids' world.
Donelle Nelson
Donelle Nelson marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2013
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
Wenda
Wenda added it
Oct 04, 2013
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Wendy Abel
Wendy Abel marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2013
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2013
Bandra
Bandra marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2013
Ronit Raj
Ronit Raj marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2013
Kristy Daugherty
Kristy Daugherty marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2013
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2013
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2013
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2013
Mindy
Mindy marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2013
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
As writers, lecturers, and grassroots and media catalysts, Linda and Richard Eyre's mission statement is: FORTIFY FAMILIES by Popularizing Parenting, Validating Values, and Bolstering Balance. Their latest efforts in these directions are their new books, The Happy Family (St. Martins Press,), Empty Nest Parenting (Bookcraft,) and The Book of Nurturing (McGraw Hill,), and their regular appearances...more
More about Linda Eyre...
Teaching Your Children Values A Mother's Book of Secrets How to Talk to Your Child About Sex: It's Best to Start Early, but It's Never Too Late -- A Step-by-Step Guide for Every Age I Didn'T Plan To Be A Witch: And Other Surprises Of A Joyful Mother A Joyful Mother of Children: The Magic and Mayhem of Motherhood