Start by marking “The QI Book of Quotations ADVANCED BANTER” as Want to Read:
The QI Book of Quotations ADVANCED BANTER

The QI Book of Quotations ADVANCED BANTER

Paperback
Published (first published October 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The QI Book of Quotations ADVANCED BANTER, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The QI Book of Quotations ADVANCED BANTER

David
This is a perfectly respectable collection of quotations. Anyone expecting it to live up to the sheer brilliance of the Q.I. television show will be disappointed, however. Their sales pitch is that it is a cut above all other such collections (they don't explicitly say "because we're smarter", but that's obviously what they mean).

It's not. There are some gems, some duds among the quotations. But here is an example of where they follow the Q.I. pattern (which is to avoid the standard, expected a
Rick
Nov 28, 2010 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not just the usual suspects, this anthology of quotes is thoughtful, surprising, and, despite its brevity, remarkably rich and wide-ranging in its selections. The title quote, for example, is by Victor Cousins, a 19th century French philosopher—three surprises there: time, nationality and occupation. Really? A French philosopher from the 19th century with a 20th or 21st century stand up comedian’s deadpan humor? The editors toss in some mini commentaries on selected contributors, helpful, ironic ...more
ej cullen
"Ninety percent of politicians give the other ten percent a bad name."

"Someone has tabulated that we have thirty-five million laws on the books to enforce the Ten Commandments."

"For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe."

"If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to
me."

"Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new."

"That which has been accepted by everyone, everywhere, is almost certain to be false."

"Let the people th
Manny
Feb 06, 2009 Manny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally, a book of non-recycled quotations. Even if it increases your carbon footprint, go out and buy it already! You can quote me on that.
Valerie
Aug 27, 2010 Valerie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
It is in the whole process of meeting and solving problems that life has meaning. Problems are the cutting edge that distinguishes between success and failure. Problems call forth our courage and our wisdom; indeed, they create our courage and our wisdom. It is only because of problems that we grow mentally and spiritually. It is through the pain of confronting and resolving problems that we learn. M. Scott Peck

When you worry, you go over the same ground endlessly and come out the same place you
Valerie
Aug 27, 2010 Valerie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Quotes to remember:

Think like a man of action; act like a man of thought. Henri Bergson

Introducing 'Lite' - The new way to spell 'light' but with 20% fewer letters. Jerry Seinfeld

Inside every old woman is a young girl wondering what the hell happened. Cora Harvey Armstrong

I'm at an age when my back goes out more than I do. Phyllis Diller

America is a large friendly dog in a small room. Every time it wags its tail it knocks over a chair. Arnold Toynbee

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coa
Dane Cobain
Feb 01, 2016 Dane Cobain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The problem that we have here is that there’s not enough about this book that makes it feel like a Q.i. book – sure, it’s written by the show’s creators and it includes a prologue by Stephen Fry (and even a jokey proverb by Alan Davies), but once you actually get into it, it’s just the same as every other collection of quotations that are on the market.

It’s actually kind of daunting to read it, because there’s such a huge amount of information packed in such a (relatively) small amount of space.
Oleg Avgustovskiy
Великолепная книга, лучший и самый необычный цитатник из всех,что попадались в мои руки,и вряд ли какой-то другой когда-либо переплюнет этот.
Из всей моей библиотеки,наверно,именно эту книгу кусками я перечитываю чаще всего,часто вдохновляюсь ею при написании стихов, когда это дело совсем не идет.
Просто открываю, понимаешь,оглавление, ищу глазами нужное слово, читаю связанные с ним высказывания Великих, и вот, рождается свой собственный панч по данной теме, вокруг которого в последствии закрутитс
Amy
Jan 24, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
What exactly can you say about a book filled with quotations. It is very extensive, and actually took a lot longer to read than I thought. I figured it is just a bunch of quotes, read them and move on, but no, it did take awhile to read them all. This is not a bad thing, it is a thick book and a lot of categories to cover.

Aside from it just being a big book the quotes included were quite interesting. Topics range from Art to Hope, to Potatoes to War. There are quotes from a range of people whet
Kristen
I wasn't sure what this book was going to be when it came. I knew it said it was a quote book, but having never bothered to read other quite books I wasn't sure what I was in for.

This book has a short intro/prologue in which the author informs us of their love of quotes, collecting quotes, and how this is the collection of the greatest quotes they have encountered.

The set up is simple - Topics are arranged alphabetically and each topic has 3-15 quotes filed under it. Each quote is attributed t
CuteBadger
May 24, 2014 CuteBadger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is very much a book for dipping in and out of and not something you'd want to try to read all the way through from front to back as it's just a list of quotations arranged under subject headings. There are some familiar ones in here, but I found that there were more than enough quotations that were new to me to make for an entertaining and sometimes enlightening experience.
Bob
Feb 13, 2015 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A large collection of witty and interesting quotes. A lot of information about the originators of most. Enjoyed the way the quotes were listed by subject alphabetically. Just wish I had come out with any lines quite so good.
Lisa
Jul 09, 2016 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this snippet by snippet over the course of a few weeks because of its layout. It's a collection of quotations, neatly arranged by category. Some hits, some misses...and some more hits and misses. If you're constantly looking for a quote to suit a situation (meme, anyone?), you may want to keep this one on your shelf.
Terry Ryan
Nov 10, 2014 Terry Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why not read this gem and have one-liners ready to fire at any moment? May as well.
Cognac Legion
Aug 06, 2015 Cognac Legion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More fun facts than you can shake a stick with finite length at.
Dagný
Dec 20, 2009 Dagný marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Another QI book which, like the other one(QI The Book of General Ignorance), is more of a reference book than something you'd read in one fell swoop. I want to show these books off though, because I'm very proud of owning them, so here they are.
Neil
Apr 24, 2012 Neil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing unexpected, in a way...just the same cornucopia of unconnected quotes you always get from the QI people. How they find so many without much repetition is itself one of the universe's unsolved mysteries. Yes, it's a book for the toilet...but only in the guest bedroom, so when there are no guests you can sneak in and enjoy it without being disturbed. Excellent.
Goodnews
"A book should serve as an axe for the frozen sea within us." ~Franz Kafka
"I would not exchange my early and invincible love of reading for all the treasures in India." ~ Edward Gibbon
"When the solution is simple, God is answering." ~Albert Einstein
"There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness." ~Josh Billings
Rhianyn
Jul 30, 2009 Rhianyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I haven't exactly read the whole thing. It's a book of amazingly witty quotes that would take a long time to read in between novels. which is no problem except that it is a borrowed book (thanks Erin!!!!!). so it is being added to my xmas list and added to a box to (hopefully) be shipped back to it's home.
Dylanm
Nov 02, 2011 Dylanm rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a collection of famous and non famous quotes that have been said or written by people. I think that this book is pretty good because it's interesting to read what people have said about anything from cats and dogs, to democracy and dictators. And some of the quotes can even be funny.
Andi
Oct 07, 2014 Andi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With a title like this, there is no way I could pass it up! It was an enjoyable collection of quotes, some witty, some inspiring, and some that were a bit dull. Overall, it was a fun book. I enjoy quotes very much and will probably to back to this book over and over again.
Christie
Jan 26, 2013 Christie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quotes
Nice collection of quotes for all occasions sorted by tag line. I added 20 or so quotes cited in this collection to my list of personal favorites. The quote chosen for the title is what grabbed my attention and there are many more "smart" quotes throughout the book.
Elf
Sep 27, 2013 Elf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A funny quote book that doesn't focus on giving you wisdom but rather on entertaining you. It's been couple years I bought this book, to this date I still often grab it to read couple quotes and it's still entertaining. It makes a very good gift too.
Ming Siu
Some great quotes in here, and some are very funny indeed. Yet, it's a bit hard to get through all of them at one go.
Fred Bayley
Sep 13, 2009 Fred Bayley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A superior collection of quotes. These two authors have been collecting quotes for more than 10 years and have included the best of the best. I really like the organization which mkaes it easy to use.
Taruia
Apr 26, 2014 Taruia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Quotes people
I have a dozen 'quote' books and whilst they use the same 'core quotes' there are a few different ones here (as with all other books I suspect) which differentiates this from others.
Prachi Pati
There's no story in this book, but its a good reference book if you want to get hold of some funny quotes about various topics in life, said by various famous people.
Susan
Feb 09, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
I love quotations. This book does a good job of grouping them into categories. Nice to keep on the nightstand for light reading before going to sleep.
Andreas Strom
Oct 11, 2014 Andreas Strom rated it really liked it
Ok...took me exactly a year to read this. Only picked it up now and then and read a few quotes. Lots of really good ones of course.
Hallie Warren
Feb 22, 2010 Hallie Warren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent collection of usable quotes for everyday use from the thinkologists at Qi. And yes, I did flinch when I wrote thinkologists.
  • The Book of the Dead: Lives of the Justly Famous and the Undeservedly Obscure
  • How Hard Can It Be? (World According to Clarkson, #4)
  • D.I.Y. Dentistry and Other Alarming Inventions
  • That Book: ...of Perfectly Useless Information
  • Last Man Standing: Tales from Tinseltown
  • The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations
  • Do Polar Bears Get Lonely?: And 110 Other Questions
  • Absolute Pandemonium: My Louder Than Life Story
  • Don't You Know Who I Am?
  • Why Do I Say These Things?
  • Billy Connolly's Route 66
  • Extraordinary Uses for Ordinary Things: 2,317 Ways to Save Money and Time
  • Mack the Life: The Autobiography
  • A Young Man's Passage
  • My Life
John Hardress Wilfred Lloyd CBE is a British comedy writer and television producer. Lloyd was Trinity College, Cambridge, where he befriended and later shared a flat with Douglas Adams. He worked as a radio producer at the BBC 1974–1978 and created The News Quiz, The News Huddlines, To The Manor Born (with Peter Spence) and Quote... Unquote (with Nigel Rees). He wrote Hordes of the Things with And ...more
More about John Lloyd...

“Introducing ‘Lite’ – The new way to spell ‘Light’, but with 20 per cent fewer letters. JERRY SEINFELD” 0 likes
“Hockey is a sport for white men. Basketball is a sport for black men. Golf is a sport for white men dressed like black pimps. TIGER WOODS” 0 likes