Class Trip

Class Trip

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  431 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Two harrowing tales of pyschological suspense -- hailed as "stunning" (John Updike) -- from the mathematician of horrorTwo by Carrere brings together the greatest works of Emmanuel Carrere, "the Stephen King of France" (Mirabella), two novels that are at once gripping suspense stories and laser probes into the modern psyche.

In Class Trip, little Nicolas embarks on an ill-f...more
Published April 19th 1999 by Metropolitan Books (first published May 3rd 1995)

Jen
This book was very unsettling. Creepy. Moody. Eerie. Bleak. And amazingly well written. The slow and creeping dread was almost unbearable. To top it all off, at the end you can't quite be sure what horrible thing has occurred, but you think you might know, and the thinking and guessing is worse than if the author had just come right out and written it. Basically, it is the difference between a "Yo,come here so I can stab you" or a wide smiling "Come here, my pretty."

I am not usually fond of th...more
Jeff Jackson
Lately I've been overwhelmed by life and trying to work on my own writing project - and as a result my attention span for reading has take a serious nose-dive. For this easily distracted reader whose head is often brimming with static, "Class Trip" came along at the right time. It's a fully imagined but briskly written story that perfectly evokes the fantasies of childhood while also hinting at awful psychopathic traumas that few of us will ever encounter. At first it seems like this is going to...more
Michelle
Poor little Nicholas...This was an eerie tale about a class of boys going away on a class trip and the whole of the pretty short novel focuses on Nicholas' frame of mind during the experience. It's strange to say with the short length and I have to give my own imagination some credit for this, but there were some very well-done characters and interpersonal relationships partly described in this book that I could run with to create such a rich environment that reminded me a little of LORD OF THE...more
orsodimondo
CHE VITA POTRÀ MAI ESSERE LA SUA
All’inizio sembra di essere in zona Giamburrasca, non è un collegio, ma una classe di bambini delle elementari con i loro insegnanti e istruttori chiusi dentro uno chalet di montagna per trascorrere la settimana bianca del titolo. Poi, man mano, la fantasia inarrestabile di Nicolas, il bambino protagonista, e il talento di Carrère, trasformano la fiaba in incubo, delirio e infine horror: senza bisogno di colpi di scena, il mostro è arrivato tra noi.
Ma a ben guarda...more
Diane
Mircalla64 (free Liu Xiaobo)
il pensiero magico e le sue trappole

Nicholas è un timido ragazzino reso impacciato dall'ingombrante presenza dei genitori,
durante una settimana bianca, unica situazione in ci si immagina che al ragazzo sia consentito allontanarsi da casa, accade qualcosa...

le insinuazioni lasciate cadere qua e là circa il passato della famiglia, un trasloco fatto in fretta e troppe domande a cui non viene data risposta, sono solo l'inizio...poi c'è lo strano comportamento di suo padre, che se da una parte non lo...more
Bren
As a silent blanket of snow covers the perimeter of the small French resort, the life of prepubescent Nicolas begins its transformation into something he no longer recognizes as his own.

Of course, it all began simply enough. Due to the recent memory of a fatal school bus accident, Nicolas' father insisted upon driving the boy over five hours to his class skiing trip. This way, he said, he could trust the person who was doing the driving. But after delivering Nicolas to his destination, he drove...more
Núria
No voy a negar que es posible que el hecho de que haya leído ‘La classe de neige’ en su francés original haya influido en mi amor por dicho libro. Siempre hace ilusión ver que ya puedes leer un libro de verdad en una lengua que estás aprendiendo y (queriendo o sin querer) siempre sueles ser más benevolente a la hora de juzgarlo. Además, ‘La classe de neige’ es el primer libro en francés que me gusta de verdad. Antes me habían hecho leer ‘El principito’, que me pareció sobrevalorado y cursi y fal...more
Erika
This short little story was a good one to read right before Halloween. It was written very well. I loved the nuances that made each character exactly right. Eerily done and I won't spoil the end but I liked it.
Floor
It was difficult to decide how many stars I would give 'La Classe de Neige', because while reading I wasn't really focusing on the story itself unfortunately. For now, I'll just rate it in the middle.
Ffiamma
la settimana bianca del piccolo nicolas comincia sotto sinistri presagi e, pian piano, si trasformerà in un racconto horror in cui le paure e gli incubi infantili prenderanno forma. carrére costruisce magistralmente una storia spaventosa senza indulgere in particolari truculenti- alludendo, accennando, mescolando fragilità e indizi e definendo pian piano la figura complessa di un bambino bisognoso di protezione e spiazzato da un'educazione sui generis. piccolo libro disturbante- in modo diverso...more
Ubiqua
Ecco la storia di Nicolas, bambino oppresso da una famiglia troppo protettiva e imbevuto del disagio degli adulti che lo circondano. La settimana bianca è il romanzo breve delle giornate più importanti e spaventose della sua vita. Con una mano tanto lieve quanto implacabile Carrère descrive l’aumentare del panico nella quotidianità fanciullesca e la crescita della consapevolezza che qualcosa di terribile non solo sta per accadere, ma è addirittura già successo, è sempre stato lì.

La discesa in qu...more
Marilena Maripont
Ancora una una volta padri e figli ma qui Carrère mescola i disturbi e omologa le psicosi: quella del padre si riflette nel figlio, l'innocenza infantile si vela di terribile colpa, ancor più tragica perchè involontaria, ingiusta. E non c'è via di scampo. Il crescendo noir è un crescendo tragico e ne sei consapevole fin dalle prime pagine. Un grandissimo Carrère, il più bello, finora, e terribile.
Emma
Eigenaardig boekje. Erg Frans. Het speelt hoofzakelijk in het hoofd af van een 8 jarige jongetje op en klasreis naar de sneeuw.Je weet eiegnlik al onmiddelijk waarover het gaat, kindermishandeling of misbruik. Maar je weet het eigenlijk ook niet. Jongetje toont een rare gedachtenstroom. Makaber en soms erg volwasse voor zijn leeftijd. Een klinkklaar outsidertje. En dan verdwijnt er een kind in de buurt van hun "sneeuwklas". Verrassende spanningsboog en ontknoping. De moeite waard om te lezen. He...more
"Class Trip" was a gripping, unsettling read and excellently written. Like most things French it was a master of understatement, a bit too much understatement for my American sensibilities.
From an admittedly small sample size, it seems to me that French authors have their child protagonists thinking about sexuality, wondering about their bodies, and also thinking about heavy topics like death and suicide at noticeably younger ages than American and British authors do. It's interesting how the c...more
Whitaker
Why "it was okay": It's probably just a cultural thing, but sometimes I think French novels get all twisted into an emotional knot over very little. Oh, doesn't he have such an awful life?!! Oh, feel pity for him!!! Oh, isn't it dreadful what he's going to find out?!! A lot of teenage dramatic posturing with very little real feeling.
Pourquoi c'est seulment ok: J'en ai marre de toutes ces histories trop emotionelles. C'était pas mal écrit mais l'histoire est plutôt de genre telenovella avec cett...more
Benjamin Montero
Pow! Great! Splampf - onto 'A Russian Novel'
Frederik
Une petite histoire sans grosses surprises qui a gagné le Prix Femina 1995 (!!) et qui transmette bien la peur et l’insécurité d’un petit enfant qui doit affronter la mort de son père.

Cependant, la dernière phrase n’est pas très profonde: « … mais Nicholas savait que la porte allait s’ouvrir, qu’á cet instant sa vie commencerait et que dans cette vie, pour lui, il n’y aurait pas de pardon».

Banale, certes, mais cela n’a pas effrayé les lectrices de Femina.
Frederiqueeilish
The first book I read by Emmanuel Carrère (La Bravoure)so rubuffed me that I would not have read any of his other books if I had not already bought a few of them. What a mistake that would have been. He is a very good writer and his short story La Classe de Neige is full of unease well described and of the adolescent point of view of a lonely child. No spoiler but one will enjoy the unavoidable end to this book. I loved it.
Stuart
Brief, poetic, mesmerizing. Horrifying. Quietly horrifying. Beautiful translation by Linda Coverdale.

Along the lines of Tim Krabbé's novel The Vanishing. But far better.

Just read it.

Myriam St-Denis Lisée
Un livre troublant et touchant.
Sharonm
A short intense book about a boy’s discovery that his father killed another small boy. This book put me in the head of the son, as he tries to get close to other boys and teachers, fantasizes about his own importance, and finally realizes without being told directly what his father has done.
Andy Weston
Short and interesting read about a school trip to a ski resort. There hold be a warning for teachers who want to read this, as it may put them off ever running a trip gain. Worrying and unsettling, and at the end, which is not disappointing, one is left unsure of hat exactly happened.
Bonnie Jean Michalski
The interiority in this book is eerily adept. Don't read this one for plot, exactly. I love about this book what I love about shyamalan's film The Village. I have a love/hate relationship with horror and suspense. This book is on the smart end of that discourse.
P.  Flaherty Pagan
An excellent, disquieting story of a boy with a very active imagination who spins fear and danger into his fantasies and then finds them in reality. The tension builds to a terrible yet perfect ending that is at once a surprise and the only credible conclusion.
ill.cut.you
nicci (yeah she CAN read) suggested this book stating it was weird...nicci was right, it was kinda weird. i like the kids inappropriate imagination, i was the same when i was a wee child....
Paola M.
After Limonov I still greatly enjoy Carrere's book, novels, reportage, whatever. Looking forward to reading him again. Most interesting author in the last two years' reading.
Hanna
Hienosti otteessaan pitävä jännityskirja, joka ei lopussa turhia selitellyt vaan päinvastoin jätti lukijan oman harkinnan varaan mitä todella oli tapahtunut.
Vespertine
One of the most engrossing, intriguing and disturbing book I've ever read. Hate it or love it, but it is certainly a literary rarity - a literarity !
Inge Vermeire
Een mooi boekje. Emmanuel Carrère slaagt erin de eenzaamheid en de triestheid van Nicolas treffend te verwoorden.
  • Apocalypse Bébé
  • Un zoo en hiver
  • Je vais bien, ne t'en fais pas
  • The Horseman on the Roof
  • Sudenmorsian
  • Amateurs
  • Entre les murs
  • La Mort du roi Tsongor
Emmanuel Carrère is a French author, screenwriter and director. He is the son of Louis Carrère d'Encausse and French historian Hélène Carrère d'Encausse.

Carrère studied at the Institut d'Études Politiques de Paris (better known as Sciences Po). Much of his writing, both fiction and nonfiction, centers around the primary themes of the interrogation of identity, the development of illusion and the d...more
More about Emmanuel Carrère...
I Am Alive and You Are Dead: A Journey into the Mind of Philip K. Dick Limonov The Adversary: A True Story of Monstrous Deception The Mustache Lives Other Than My Own: A Memoir