Start by marking “Every-Day Dress-Up” as Want to Read:
Every-Day Dress-Up

Every-Day Dress-Up

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  31 reviews
It's no secret that little girls love playing dress up, but the little girl in this book ditches her princess duds in favor of costumes inspired by great women in history.

Now dressing up is an adventure
When, every day of the week,
I am a daring new dame!

From Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor to chef extraordinaire Julia Child to queen of jazz Ella Fitzgerald, our protag
Published October 11th 2011 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Every-Day Dress-Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every-Day Dress-Up

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
It is hard to rate certain books. This one has some fun features - At the back end of the book there is a picture book with dress up clothing and a bio list of all the women noted in the book. However, the end kind of made me think..."And when I'm older, I hope to have my own outstanding outfit, so that little girls will sport costumes of me!" (taken from F & G) Question - Do I want girls to emulate someone because of who they are or what they wear? What is the message being sent here?

I wou
Bianca Rosa-Aviles
When looking for a quality character education book, I began to think about the values that I maintained, and what values I want my students to have. Each text that we choose to read exposes us to values, and is often indicative of values in a culture. Many books continue while have merit in it's purpose often perpetuate gender norms in a patriarchal society. I like this book because it introduces young girls something different. It is a play on a game that is for "girls," a game called dress-up ...more
Karen
I loved, loved, loved the concept of this book. The execution, not so much.

The book seemed a bit schizophrenic. It wants to be a preschooler's picture book according to the illustrations, which even include paper dolls costumes, and it wants to be an Early Grade picture book according to the text. I actually would have gone further in the text to include the full names of the women and why they were important and then give more details in the back as the author did.

Actual rating: 3.5 stars, bu
Margo Tanenbaum
In this charming new picture book perfect for Women's History Month, author Selina Alko celebrates great women of history through one small girl's imagination and offers an alternative to the princess onslaught. The book opens as follows:

"I used to only play princess/ until Mommy showed me pictures/ and told me stories of real, great women.
Now dressing up is an adventure/ when, every day of the week,/ I am a daring new dame!"

Each day of the week, our heroine dresses up as a different famous woma
Maribeth Tomas
Picture Book Project

Picture Book Soak- One more that caught my attention

This book will entice readers because of the many colors and the different notable women that are mentioned throughout the book. It's about a girl who plays dress up and pretends to be all these different women and many kids do this so they will be able to relate.

The colors on the cover are very girly. It is mostly pink so I think it'll attract more girls than boys. The title, however, may be what intrigues the boys to read
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Being a mother of a little girl who loves to dress up, I loved the concept of this book. The little girl dresses up each of the week and pretends to go on the adventures of the prestige women she's pretending to be. While as I grown up, I knew who these amazing women are, they were totally lost to my little girl. Young girls would know more about these women than young preschool aged girls. I do love the concept that dress can be more than just Disney princesses. I'm a little torn on how to reco ...more
Christine Turner
A young girl imagines her own future as she puts on costumes and pretends to be great women from history, including Amelia Earhart, Lucille Ball, and Eleanor Roosevelt.
Mary
A little girl loves playing princess dress-up but when her mom shows her a book with pictures of famous women, she dresses up like a different one of them each day. The girl names the days of the week and usually one phrase about the famous woman she dresses up as. Best suited for kindergarten through second graders, but even they will not be familiar with most of the famous women mentioned in the text. Vocabulary and context are very specific to each famous lady, so some explanation by adults m ...more
Wooden Horse
This book seems like a really poor copy of My Name Is Not Isabella by Jennifer Fosberry. I like that it tries to match the brilliance of Ms. Fosberry's book however it falls short in my opinion. It is excellent at mixing a bit of history and girl power into a cute story. I really like the variety of historical figures. The illustrations mixed with collage is also very interesting.
Sarah Stumphf
Really cute book celebrating famous women in history.
Heather
Aug 31, 2013 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Girls 3+
This book starts out with, "I used to only play princess. Until Mommy showed me pictures. And told me stories of real, great women," and then continues to introduce young girls to accomplished, famous women as the protagonist dresses up as a few and briefly introduces them (there are more detailed introductions at the back of the book for each of the featured women). I really love the message of this book: that little girls should be inspired by real heroines, instead of just fairy-tale inspired ...more
Jen
Nov 25, 2012 Jen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: pb
I like the concept of this book, but the pictures are a little busy. It would be the adults role to give the child more information about the important women mentioned in this book. Also, I'd be worried that a child would think it was bad to dress up like a princess, because it's not, that is a very valid way of playing. Maybe the book would have been enhanced by adding a strong woman that was a princess that had done something great (like Queen Emma of Hawaii starting a public hospital).
Brianna
This book is great for Women's History Month. This little girl always dressed up as a Disney Princess until one day her mom told her that she didn't always have to be a princess. Her mom told her stories about all the amazing women so she decided that she was going to dress up like Amelia, First Lady of Flight, Ella, Queen of Jazz, Marie, Star-Studded Scientist, and Frida, Prized Painter. It's really inspiring for young girls it shows them they can be anything their heart desires.
Jen
I really liked this book. The story and illustrations were both cute and it had the added bonus of being education: the little girl in the story used to dress up only to play princess, but once her mom introduced her to books featuring stories about women from history, she started role-playing, instead. Over a seven-day week, she dresses up as seven different women; each of the women (and a few others) have mini-biographies at the end of the book. :-)
Justine
A mom gives her daughter a book of famous women who have made big accomplishments to teach her daughter there are others to aspire to be besides princesses. I may have loved this book more because I understood who each of the women was and because I could use an occasional reminder to filter how many princess-theme stories enter our home. It would be a great book for older Elementary school girls who are ready to learn about historical figures.
Heather
Finally, a perfect picture book about "real, great women" appropriate for the pre-school and early elementary set! Instead of playing "only" princess, the young narrator - after hearing true-life stories from her mother - now spends each day dressing up as a different woman in history, having daring adventures as the First Lady of Flight, the Queen of Jazz, and Star-Studded Scientist, to name a few.
Rakisha
Perfect picture book to help stoke the imaginations and ambitions of the little girls in your life. Colorful, fun, and with social commentary. The mini biographies in the book of the famous women mentioned throughout definitely makes Every Day Dress Up a welcome addition to any personal library. I intend on buying this book for my daughters and reading it at every story time I get!
Lynn DeFord
The little girl in this picture book ditches her princess duds in favor of costumes inspired by great women in history. I think PK-3 will enjoy this book. It reminds me of My Name is Not Isabella. I like the illustrations. Could be used for history or biographies or as a tie in with imagination and/or costumes. I think it will be appealing to girls with dress-up and princess being used.
Emily
This is a story about a girl who loves to dress up. But instead of your everyday, little girl, princess dress up costumes, she dresses in costumes of great women in american history like, Ella Fitzgerald and Sonia Satmoyer. I think this is a great book because its like we travel through time watching her dress in all these different women from different periods of history.
E.A.
I have to agree with many of the other views. I loved the concept of this book, teaching young girls about famous women and what they did. The content of the book is really more elementary school age, including choice of vocabulary. Yet it looks like it's geared toward preschool through K. This would be a good beginning to read.
Beth
Learn about inspiring women of more character than Ariel, Jasmine, or Belle all together. Journey through each day of the week dressing up as an inspiring real woman: Amelia, Ella, Elizabeth, Marie, Julia, Maria, and Frida. And maybe the next dress-up will be you years from now.
ReadingWench
This is another of those books hidden in the picture book area of the library. On a fifth grade level, this book is unique in the way of dressing up as different women in history. It is finished off by a short biograpght of each of the women.

AR 5.3
Catherine
I've been reading this with Kindergartners as a way to introduce Women's History Month. I like having them call out the days with me for each page, and it's interesting to see who of the featured women these kids have heard of.
Michael
Some great role models for girls in here, worth seeing by children of all genders. The main character is Caucasian, but there is still a lot of racial diversity in the book, and in the real-life women they write about on the last page.
Sandybear76
A little girl likes to dress up as a princess but one day she decides to dress up a bit differently. She is the famous pilot Amelia Earhart and then she dresses up as other famous women through history.
Sandy Brehl
A fun twist on dress-up for young girls. Each day costumes are used to reenact moments from the lives of famous American women. back matter provides brief profiles of each.
Linda Atkinson
Dress-up with substance! I loved how mom took "only play princess" to the next level. A great storytime read for Women's Hx Month. Picture book ages 4-8.
Daryl Murphy
PB26 - Good story about a young girl admiring her idols through dramatic play everyday.
Edward Sullivan
A little girl dresses up to imagine herself as great women in history.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Case for Loving: The Fight for Interracial Marriage Daddy Christmas and Hanukkah Mama I'm Your Peanut Butter Big Brother B Is for Brooklyn My Father's World