Start by marking “Leaders of Learning: How District, School, and Classroom Leaders Improve Student Achievement” as Want to Read:

For many years, coauthors Rick DuFour and Bob Marzano have been co-travelers on the journey to help educators improve their schools. As Rick has focused on bringing the professional learning community process to life in schools, he has relied heavily on Bob's vast research on effective teaching and effective leadership. Bob has come to the conclusion that the best environm ...more
Published June 7th 2011 by Solution Tree (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Leaders of Learning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leaders of Learning

JAGged
Aug 30, 2013 JAGged rated it really liked it
Shelves: plcs
The first four chapters can easily be skipped, unless you're a principal, or you need convincing.
Mr. Brammer
Jul 02, 2016 Mr. Brammer rated it it was ok
DuFour, as the earliest proponent and instigator of the PLC process, has a lot invested in its success. It's refreshing how dismissive of previous reform movements he is, drawing the ultimate conclusion that successful teachers are successful collaborators, and that a school that follows the PLC process with fidelity will see large gains in student achievement.

While I generally agree with these conclusions, they are just a piece in the puzzle. Often times what ends up happening is that good tea
Ken
Sep 05, 2012 Ken rated it liked it
It's truly the Daily Double when you tag-team Richard DuFour and Robert Marzano (kingpins of the "Cartel," as they call it). And you can always count on good, solid, and sober stuff when you read them, even combined. Exciting? Hardly. "You've got to read this!" caliber? Not nearly. But a few nuggets may be ingested. For me, the best part is the opening pitch about every single one of us (in education) being a leader. Their singing my song when they riff on that note.

If your school is heavy into
Laurie
A great overview of the big ideas, concepts, and misconceptions. I also just spent three days at a conference hearing people speak about this. I feel a little brainwashed and overwhelmed.

Also, it makes a subtle (although at times, not so) case for the ineffectiveness of other reform efforts, all while speaking in general terms and citing themselves as evidence from their research. It's hard at times to to feel like these men got together from a PLC circle jerk.

In the end I am convinced this wou
Jane
Oct 30, 2011 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: education, leadership
This book really nails what it takes to turn schools in to true learning communities--and it is also brutally honest about the work involved. Leaders who are "dipping" into professional learning communities need to use this book as a thermometer--are they really leading this movement or simply mandating superficial things? Read to understand District, Principal, team leader and teacher responsibilities that need to be covered for true collaboration...
Brian
Aug 01, 2015 Brian rated it really liked it
Started strong making a great case for PLCs and the value that they can bring to a campus professional development environment. However, they lost me when they talked about implementation and a total revamp of how curriculum is written and how tests are graded. I understand it was only an example, but they left me with little when it comes to actual implementation strategies that will work well on campuses that have only one teacher teaching every subject.
Ken
Dec 26, 2013 Ken rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book that provides a good overview of the Professional Learning Communities that the authors propose as the best way to improve student achievement. This book does a great job of making real life applications of their strategies.
I would recommend this book to non educators if you wanted to get a good overview of the latest reform efforts that are working to improve student achievement.
Emichail
May 01, 2014 Emichail rated it liked it
I wish this had been my 1st DuFour book. Since it was my 3rd, it just reiterated what his workshops & other published works teach about PLC's.

I recommend reading it if you're starting to learn about how to implement PLC's, but consider it a quick skim if you're already familiar with the DuFours.
Temoca
Dec 13, 2011 Temoca rated it liked it
This was a quick read. My principal has been reading it and passed it along to me. I like that some of the points are ones I have incorporated and much of it makes sense. The statistical information is pretty scary. I hope we can start effecting change in our academic system.
Kelsey Shivers
Nov 06, 2016 Kelsey Shivers rated it it was amazing
This book is GOLD for any school, department, or grade-level leader trying to implement PLCs as a means of improving student achievement. The chapters on guaranteed curriculums, monitoring student learning, and responding when students don't learn were among my favorites in this book.
Lanell
Aug 04, 2011 Lanell rated it liked it
Definitely textbook style but I actually learned a lot. Read this because I was asked to by the principal at my school. Other than chapters 6-7 the book was not terrible. Again lots of information I can use in the work setting.
Kerry Gain
Feb 16, 2012 Kerry Gain rated it it was amazing
Great, great book - but you would expect greatness when Marzano and DuFour get together! Also loved that my friend Darwin Spiller is cited as an example of a great leader in the last chapter -- all of his hard work has really paid off!!
Teri
Sep 15, 2013 Teri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
If you are interested in implementing PLCs on your campus, then this truly is THE book to read. Be prepared for some brain washing. The prevalent tone, in my opinion, is that PLCs can solve virtually every campus problem.
David
Jul 11, 2012 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
Good overview of PLC structures. Starts with good stats about current education. Some chapters more relevant than others
Melissa Marie
May 22, 2016 Melissa Marie rated it really liked it
Read this book for a master's class on becoming a principal. Pretty easy to follow and a relatable guy. I enjoyed it.
Hanrong Tham
Oct 26, 2012 Hanrong Tham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
A must read for a school leaders who are leading PLCs. It highlights many misconceptions of PLCs and what pitfalls to avoid when leading PLCs.
Ouida Myers
Mar 06, 2013 Ouida Myers rated it it was amazing
Must read for administrators. Highlights the importance of systemic culture of learning communities from the central office to the classroom.
Richard
Apr 09, 2016 Richard rated it liked it
Shelves: education, plc, hard-copy
There were some great points. Definitely a must read. This book contributes nicely to other books on the topic.
Carla
Dec 27, 2012 Carla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helped me to better understand the Professional Learning Community trend and some insights into Response to Intervention.
Tim
Jan 26, 2013 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book.
Karen James
Oct 23, 2013 Karen James rated it liked it
First couple chapters were good... A bit of a ramped up version of PLCs and district leadership. Not bad but not earth shatering.
Lynn Green
Jul 24, 2016 Lynn Green rated it really liked it
A great book on how to make teaching effective. Difficult to see how to accomplish it.
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Geraldine
Geraldine rated it did not like it
Jun 30, 2016
Sharon K. Anderson
Sharon K. Anderson rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2014
Mrs. Waage
Mrs. Waage rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2014
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2013
Marsha
Marsha rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2012
Katie L Kelly
Katie L Kelly rated it it was ok
Feb 07, 2017
Alyssa Doeden
Alyssa Doeden rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Shifting the Monkey: The Art of Protecting Good from Liars, Criers, and Other Slackers
  • Essential Questions: Opening Doors to Student Understanding
  • Who Owns the Learning?: Preparing Students for Success in the Digital Age (Incorporate Technology and Opportunities Into Instruction)
  • Classroom Instruction That Works: Research-Based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement
  • The Principal: Three Keys to Maximizing Impact
  • Embedded Formative Assessment - practical strategies and tools for K-12 teachers
  • Focus: Elevating the Essentials to Radically Improve Student Learning
  • The Multiplier Effect: Tapping the Genius Inside Our Schools
  • Learning Targets: Helping Students Aim for Understanding in Today's Lesson
  • Visible Learning for Teachers: Maximizing Impact on Learning
  • Transforming School Culture: How to Overcome Staff Division
  • Comprehension Going Forward: Where We Are / What's Next
  • Unmistakable Impact: A Partnership Approach for Dramatically Improving Instruction
  • Making Thinking Visible
  • Classroom Habitudes: Teaching Learning Habits and Attitudes in 21st Century Learning
  • World Class Learners: Educating Creative and Entrepreneurial Students
  • Making Learning Whole: How Seven Principles of Teaching Can Transform Education