Start by marking “Street Dogs” as Want to Read:
Street Dogs

Street Dogs

4.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  64 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
90 irresistible, soulful portraits and outdoor photographs of street dogs feature in this book, taken by a woman who has witnessed and assisted in the rescue of many of them. There are also mini-biographies of many of the dogs, with details of their rescue amd journey to new homes.
Published October 1st 2007 by Merrell Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Street Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Street Dogs

Peacegal
Feb 16, 2016 Peacegal rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
Stray, feral, and community dogs in Mexico and Puerto Rico are lovingly photographed in STREET DOGS.

Street dogs in general are a fascinating subject. Through their behavior we can observe the ancient partnership of canine and human, when the first primitive wolves crept along the borders of human encampments. Indeed, when left to randomly breed on their own, domestic dogs start evolving away from many human-selected traits, and instead begin to resemble the Australian dingo, which is probably w
Jaguar
Jul 13, 2015 Jaguar rated it really liked it
"Street Dogs" by Traer Scott reveals a series of photos of dogs who live in the streets, and information about each one. Traer captures the moment in each photo. It is beautifully written, and so touching. A FABULOUS job well done.

2015-Summer-Reading-Review
Shaun
Apr 25, 2015 Shaun rated it liked it
I want my next dog to come from one of these rescue organizations. Great photos. My favorite were Wolly & Onyx.
Darren
Jul 25, 2014 Darren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dogs
Dogs willingness to forgive and love humans regardless of cruelty shown them in the past is always surprising. The world would be a much better place if we could learn this behaviour from them.

This book was a wonderful companion to Shelter Dogs, and once again I had watery eyes.
Tasha
Feb 08, 2015 Tasha rated it it was amazing
Love.
Martha Garvey
Dec 30, 2007 Martha Garvey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: dog lovers, dog rescuers, all those interested in animal rescue
Traer Scott is one hell of a photographer/storyteller. The photos, of street dogs she found in Puerto Rico and Mexico, are so beautifully composed that you will return to them again and again. And Scott's understanding of the conditions that create street dogs in the first place is complex. Many of these dogs have been adopted; some cannot be. Scott honors them all. I defy you not to cry when you read this--and to be inspired to action.
Gracee
Jul 06, 2009 Gracee rated it really liked it
We forget that dogs (and cats) elsewhere are in need of homes. Our less fortunate neighboring countries have even less ability or resources to care for their abandoned pets. Mini documentaries about rescue groups and like minded individuals motivated by compassion for animals otherwise doomed. Very moving.

Read this in the library while I was searching for another book. I had to discreetly use a tissue to wipe my tears.
Katherine
Jul 31, 2011 Katherine rated it it was amazing
A terrific complement to the original in the series, Shelter Dogs. The book does cite a couple of cases of horrific cruelty to homeless dogs but does not dwell on them, but rather emphasizes the wonderful, selfless work of the many people who devote their lives to finding and caring for homeless animals and to the stories of those dogs who were rescued.
Loren
Mar 01, 2015 Loren rated it it was amazing
Street dogs focuses on dogs from Puerto Rico and a few areas of Mexico. Just like the author's previous book, the portraits of these dogs show them in a dignified light. The foreword was well written and informative explaining why there are problems with strays in these locations.
Diane Dunham
Aug 18, 2012 Diane Dunham rated it it was amazing
Some parts sad and heart breaking, but good to know there are people trying to help the street odgs.
Bailey
Jun 16, 2011 Bailey rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Beautiful photographs and surprisingly uplifting stories. Thank you, Robert!
Gretchen
Apr 15, 2013 Gretchen rated it really liked it
gorgeous pics, heart breaking book, I did like the updates on each dog.
Hanna
Nov 13, 2008 Hanna rated it it was amazing
Amazing documentary with more text than in "Shelter Dogs".
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
ShekeytaAustin
ShekeytaAustin marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Casey Palmer
Casey Palmer rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
Sydney
Sydney rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Pug Cake
Pug Cake rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2015
Dassi
Dassi rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
Sriraam
Sriraam marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Megan Stapleton ryan
Megan Stapleton ryan rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2016
Brooke
Brooke rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2015
Robyn Hunt
Robyn Hunt rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Debra
Debra rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Traer Scott is an award winning fine art and commercial photographer and author of five books. Her work has been featured in National Geographic, Life, Vogue, People, O and dozens of other national and international publications. She was the recipient of the Rhode Island State Council for the Arts 2010 Photography Fellowship Grant and the 2008 Helen Woodward Humane Award for animal welfare activis ...more
More about Traer Scott...