Start by marking “Brisingr (Inheritance, #3)” as Want to Read:
Brisingr (Inheritance, #3)

Brisingr (The Inheritance Cycle #3)

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  207,971 Ratings  ·  7,712 Reviews

Oaths sworn . . . Loyalties tested . . . Forces collide.

Eragon and his dragon, Saphira, have narrowly escaped with their lives after the colossal battle against the Empire's warriors on the Burning Plains. Now Eragon finds himself bound by promises he may not be able to keep.

He must help rescue his cousin Roran's beloved from King Galbatorix's clutches. But he also owes

Published 2008 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Brisingr, please sign up.

Katie I think the rating is high because a lot of people who read and enjoy books don't think much about quality. Much the same reason series like Vampire…moreI think the rating is high because a lot of people who read and enjoy books don't think much about quality. Much the same reason series like Vampire Academy get high ratings. But the people who take time to review books look with a bit of a more critical eye. Eragon had a lot of critics anyway, and since Brisingr is almost universally recognized as being lower quality than Eragon and Eldest I think a lot of fans were upset with how disappointed they were. And we didn't hold back in our reviews.

Also, like Kay said, a lot of people kept reading because we want to know what happens next. (less)

Alena
Oct 05, 2008 Alena rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone needing kindling to start a fire
For the love of all that is good and decent in the world, MAKE THE EXPOSITION STOP!!!

I didn't think it was possible for this series to get worse after Eldest. I was wrong. This book is nearly 800 pages of pointless adjectives, with perhaps six pages' worth of plot... most of which is just review (described in *excruciating* detail) from the previous books.

Don't waste your time or money... unless you really need a cure for insomnia.
Jedidiah
Sep 30, 2008 Jedidiah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I wish it was longer. Amazing!
Swankivy
Sep 07, 2011 Swankivy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lauren
Sep 24, 2008 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers, Star Wars fans, Lord of the Rings fans, Tamora Pierce fans
So, I was a little disappointed with this third installment of Paolini's Inheritance "Cycle" now - since he changed the game and made this a 4 book series instead of 3, as it was originally intended.

The story was good and what I have come to expect from this series. But honestly, it did not have to be 748 pages long. I understand the author's desire to flesh out his characters, but the way that he kept going back and forth between the different characters I found annoying. The descriptions of th
Bibiana
Sep 21, 2008 Bibiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just completed reading Brisingr, and I must say that I was very impressed with the plot!

To compress all of my thoughts and the plot in to only one word, this has to be it - Unpredictable.

Certain events that happened in the book really took me by surprise and I have to applaud Christopher Paolini to even think about such a complex plot. I could hardly guess what might happen in the next few pages, and the only way for me to find out was to keep my head buried deep within its depth.

Seriously, an
Trina (Between Chapters)
If you want a story with awesome dragons and magic, this is a series to check out! I listened to this on audio and it was SO engaging. This book had a lot of action sequences, as well as many moments that were packed with emotion. What a great blend! Uhnnn, I just love it.
Mindy
Jan 11, 2014 Mindy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, ya
I'm sure I'll get hate comments for this rating. But I just was bogged down by Paolini's formal and dry descriptive text. Maybe I'm just too far removed from the other books these years later. I really liked the first two, I just couldn't get into this one. I feel like the story just sort of meanders around.

(SPOILER ALERT) The wedding scene was particularly terrible. It was so long and drawn out. I don't like to go to long drawn out weddings in real life. Reading one was that much worse. (END S
Rebecca Honeycutt
Is it just me, or is this series on a serious downward spiral? Eragon was uninventive but entertaining; Eldest was a bit of slog, but pulled through in the end; Brisingr, however, just left me exhuasted and annoyed. At least half of this novel could have be edited out, and as with the previous two books, Paolini seems more interested in showing off his vocabulary (both English and invented) and in delivering lengthy, detailed battle scenes than in telling a compelling story. Oh, and....SPOILER B ...more
Cory
Jan 20, 2014 Cory rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody.
Shelves: abenteuer, fantasy
“The purpose of life is not to do what we
want but what needs to be done.”

1. Sentence: “Eragon stared at the dark tower of stone wherein hid the monsters
who had murdered his uncle, Garrow.”

What the fart.
Seriously.
WHAT THE FART.

This series goes downhill rapidly with every book I read. I really liked the first book , I found the world-building to be amazing and original, even though I noticed the similarities to other fantasy novels. I didn't mind, though. The second book was then a big disappo
Colleen Houck
I was glad that Chris Paolini ended up spliting this book in two because I didn't want Eragon's adventure to finish. I felt like all the characters moved forward in their development and that Eragon finally came into his own as a dragon rider. Fantastic. I highly recommend this book.
Hasham Rasool
I really like this book a lot. Alhamdulillah.

I thought Brisingr was a lot better than Eldest.

Christopher Paolini is good author.

Oromis, Glaedr and Angela are one of my favourite characters.

Brisingr is one of my favourite books. Alhamdulillah.
Kass
Dec 01, 2008 Kass rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who come up with names for prescription drugs,collectors of little glass dragons
This book should be called Blahsingr because all it is is 800 pages of Blah Eragon, blah Roran, blah Arya, blah Orik, blah Galbatorix (which I'm certain is a new prescription drug for indigestion), blah, blah, blah.

We all know Paolini killed his trilogy by turning it into a "cycle" but making us read through another 784 pages after his horrific second book, Eldest, was grounds for banishment to the Empire's dungeons.

The book basically had no plot, just a bunch of diversions to keep you reading
Aaron
Dec 24, 2008 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally, this series has given me a novel that I have enjoyed every part of. I consider it the darkest of the three novels, as Eragon realizes what a dire situation he has placed himself in, and the slim chance that he might succeed in his mission to free the citizens from the tyrannical rule of King Galbatorix. This book finally brings its characters and its plot back down to Earth, and although the novel still thrives off fantasy, and now possesses a sense of reality to it.
This book has give
Zachhg
Jan 10, 2016 Zachhg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jonathan
I realised at last that to my loss I had yet to review several key novels within my extending lists. I have already reviewed and explained my appreciation of Eldest and Eragon.

Brisingr is perhaps, in my view, the better novel of all three currently in circulation. It is certainly written with greater confidence and signs of maturity. Although do not by any means equate word count with maturity. yes Brisingr is the far larger novel of all the Inheritence books and yet is perhaps still oddly the m
Oct 06, 2008 Laura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I give up. I've spent two weeks trying to get through this 700-page snoozefest and I'm still completely uninterested in what happens next. I can muster more enthusiasm for the third season of 'Rock of Love.'

To be fair, I've never been ecstatic about the Inheritance trilogy (although I think there's going to be one more book because 700 pages just wasn't long enough). Eragon was a pleasant enough, if unoriginal, story, made more impressive because of Paolini's young age. (Heck, when I was 15, I w
Moraes the Bookworm
This was an incredible book from the start. Differently from Eldest, there was no slow part at all. Eragon's training is far from over, there is a lot that he has still to learn, but the time for peaceful hidden lessons is over. The people of Alagaësia that oppose Galbatorix are finally uniting and rebellion, with Eragon and Saphira's support, is erupting everywhere. This brought a welcome change in comparison to the previous book: it is much more strategical and political, other than magical. O ...more
Laura Baugh
Oct 08, 2008 Laura Baugh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Markdc
Shelves: fiction, not-finished
Really, how much phenomenal cosmic power, gleaming musculature, purring voice, and natural musk that drives women wild are we supposed to take? And our Strong Female Leader can have her decision swayed by a eyebrow twitch from our Sexy Magically Powered Hero....

I will probably never know how this book ends.
amber
Mar 01, 2009 amber rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Wow. This one was really bad. As he's aged, Paolini;s writing has gotten worse. It's almost 800 pages of drivel. I feel like Paolini recently studied for the GRE and he's showing off the new words he learned. It was just really bad.
This book was so slow…until the end when it got much quicker and better!
Adam
Dec 09, 2008 Adam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya
No offense to those of you who liked this book. I had a really, really hard time getting through this one. I thought the first book of the series was neat cause it was written by a kid, but sadly, Paolini's story telling ability hasn't grown an iota.

Why did Paolini have to make this a four book series. He easily could have taken the 35 pages of actual plot from this book and prepended it to the beginning of the next book. The pace of this book was excruciating.

Does there really have to be thre
Leia
Oct 03, 2008 Leia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this, the penultimate installment of the Inheritance Cycle, though it does sadden me to remember the end is near. Eragon's slow transformation from simple yet inquisitive farmboy to the last free Dragon Rider is a joy to read, and I relished every insignificant detail. Roran, who shocked me with his strength and fortitude in Eldest, continues on his path to becoming a brilliant military strategist and leader, all the while leaving his heart with his beloved Katrina. Murtagh. ...more
Cindy
Jul 24, 2015 Cindy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Before anyone comments, I was a HUGE fan of the first book. Second book I thought was alright. This book sucked so bad. Between the terrible writing and the grammar and the fact that it was 800 pages of how long Paolini can babble about nothing and still keep an following.

The reason for the 4th book was this was for character development? What character development, the characters are more one sided then ever. You can almost predict what they will do before they do it because they are just
Shane
Oct 01, 2008 Shane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After waiting 100 years for book 3, I expected a lot more. The meat of this book could have been condensed into about 100 pages. Very little plot development occurred. There was some character development, but not enough to warrant 750 pages.

I probably wouldn't be so critical, but the video he posted stating why it took so long to get to book 3 said that he didn't feel he could do it in one book. Bad news. I bet that if you read book 1, book 2, and 3 selected chapters of book 3, you could go st
Erin
Oct 30, 2008 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's generally a very good story. Problems arise, however, when the fact that very little of it is original becomes distracting, the excessive wordiness and verbosity of the author (in both character voice and description) becomes distracting, and the number of random side adventures and random side characters become. . . yes, distracting.

I am anxious to see how the story ends, I just hate it when I can't stop thinking about the author's prose and plot choices while I'm reading a book.

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by The Compulsive Reader for TeensReadToo.com

Eragon and Saphira have just barely survived the latest battle between the Empire and Varden, and learned the truth about Eragon's parentage. Their encounter with Murtagh and Thorn has made them realize that they desperately need to revisit their teachers in Ellesmera, but their multitudes of promises keep them from returning. They must help Roran recover Katrina from the Ra'zac, rally forces for the Varden, and find a way to thwart Murtagh.
Mel
You can read a complete series review for the Inheritance Cycle here on my blog thatgirlbookworm

This series keeps getting better and better! i think what makes this series so enjoyable for me is the fact that I love the narrator in the audiobooks. I feel like if I didn't have that like for him I might not enjoy the books as much but I love them dearly.
The world this author has created is so intricate and detailed and every character is so well written and developed that I applaud his writing.
I
Werner
Jun 06, 2012 Werner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans, especially those who like dragons
Shelves: fantasy, books-i-own
The Inheritance series was originally supposed to be the Inheritance trilogy, with this as the concluding volume; but Paolini decided that he wanted to, in his words, "explore and develop the character's personalities and relationships at a more natural pace," so he made this into a sort of transitional volume between Eldest and the final climactic conclusion. But this isn't purely a time-marking exercise; significant things happen here. A dwarf king will be chosen (and the stakes, and tension, ...more
Sara Jesus
Sep 05, 2016 Sara Jesus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
Está cada vez mais próximo do confronto final entre Eragon e Gallorix... Neste terceiro volumo, Eragon torna-se num verdadeiro cavaleiro e compreende o que significa ser uma família. Adorei conhecer seu primo, o Martelo Forte, é mais corajoso do que aparenta. E a sua relação com Karina é pura e sincera. Não achei que a rainha foi justa com ele no início, mas por fim deu-lhe o comando.
O capítulo que conta a história de Brom, revelando a sua verdadeira identidade, foi o mais belo de toda a obra!
Karin
Nov 09, 2008 Karin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
poke me in the eye! This book is terrible! The first one was forgiven for it's rambling irrelevancies due to it's imaginative world and logical magic. This one has no excuses. First off, it's about as entertaining as watching a clock's hour hand tick. Second, approximately two things happen in the entire book that are even important! Each event can go beyond being summed up in a chapter or two. This was riddled with rambling text, inconsistencies, and fluff. A wonderful example of it's dull dron ...more
Drink & Discuss: August 2016: Brisingr 1 4 Aug 03, 2016 08:09AM
Charaters 8 21 Jul 20, 2016 07:59AM
Eragon Forever: Brisingr 1 5 Apr 20, 2016 04:57AM
Elves, Humans, Urgals, or Dwarves? (which is your favorite and why?) 15 29 Jan 29, 2016 01:49PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Brisingr (The Inheritance Cycle #3) by Christopher Paolini - Starting February 6th 2016 2 3 Jan 24, 2016 11:06PM
Bookreads :): Brisingr 1 2 Jan 09, 2016 02:35PM
  • DragonKnight (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #3)
  • Blade of Fire (The Icemark Chronicles, #2)
  • The Siege of Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice, #6)
  • The Singing (The Books of Pellinor, #4)
  • Dark Fire (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #5)
  • The Rivers of Zadaa (Pendragon, #6)
  • Isle of the Dead (Dragons of Deltora, #3)
  • The Shadow Dragons (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #4)
  • Faerie Lord (The Faerie Wars Chronicles, #4)
  • Syren (Septimus Heap, #5)
  • The Fall of the Templar (Grey Griffins, #3)
  • Enna Burning (The Books of Bayern, #2)
  • The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3)
  • Circles of Seven (Dragons in Our Midst, #3)
  • Rakkety Tam (Redwall, #17)
Christopher Paolini was born on November 17, 1983 in Southern California. He has lived most of his life in Paradise Valley, Montana with his parents and younger sister, Angela. The tall, jagged Beartooth Mountains rise on one side of Paradise Valley. Snowcapped most of the year, they inspired the fantastic scenery in the Inheritance Cycle.

Christopher is grateful to all his readers. He is especiall
More about Christopher Paolini...

The Inheritance Cycle (4 books)
  • Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1)
  • Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle, #2)
  • Inheritance (The Inheritance Cycle, #4)

67 trivia questions
10 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Perhaps not one religion contains all of the truth of the world. Perhaps every religion contains fragments of the truth, and it is our responsibility to identify those fragments and piece them together.” 445 likes
Have I ever told you how glad I am we're not enemies? Eragon asked.
No, but it's very sweet of you.
377 likes