Start by marking “Il mondo, la carne e Padre Smith” as Want to Read:
Il mondo, la carne e Padre Smith

Il mondo, la carne e Padre Smith

4.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  39 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
La vita e i pensieri di un ingenuo e, al tempo stesso, disincantato secerdoto, pieno di buona volontyà e di comprensione per tutti gli uomini, peccatori inclusi. Un capolavoro di umorismo e di toccante umanità.
Library Binding, TEADUE, 272 pages
Published March 1989 by Editori Associati (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about Il mondo, la carne e Padre Smith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Il mondo, la carne e Padre Smith

John Schneider
Mar 03, 2012 John Schneider rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature, fiction
I read this very insightful and humorous books as a seminarian on the advice of an old priest. Now that I am priest I appreciate this book even more! Far from being an intimidating read, this book opens up the reader to a much different way of life and love - the parish priest. I understand now why that older priest suggested that I should read it every year. If you want to understand what the priesthood is really about, read this little book.
Carol
Dec 23, 2013 Carol rated it liked it
I read this title in English: The World, the Flesh and Father Smith. For some reason, the English book is not on Goodreads.

I'd like to give it 3.5 stars.

Father Smith is a Catholic priest in Presbyterian Scotland, a priest who prays daily for Scotland’s conversion. I don’t think I’ve ever read a novel with such a strong emphasis on Catholic theology, and, at first, I found it off-putting. But I discovered that I appreciated many of this humble man’s thoughts. I think any conservative would appre
Anne
Mar 16, 2015 Anne rated it it was amazing
The World, the Flesh, and Father Smith: another wonderful book by Bruce Marshall.
Andre
Jan 26, 2010 Andre rated it really liked it
A Book of the Month Club selection back in 1945, this hilarious book by Bruce Marshall tells the story of Father Smith, a catholic priest in a Scottish city, of his friends, the exiled French nuns, of the Bishop, of Monsignor O'Duffy, who wages simple, violent war against simple sins, of father Bonnyboat, the liturgical scholar and all the people who come into the gentle orbit of Father Smith. Three decades are covered.
Dee
Sep 08, 2010 Dee rated it it was amazing
A great story of what the Catholic church in Scotland was like in the early 20th century. The story lines lead Father Smith and the others to compare views on life and on the Catholic faith. Since Scotland at that time was anti-Catholic, there is good discussion on the variances and on the ecumenism that comes naturally to people who are generally good of heart.
Peter Julius
Apr 10, 2013 Peter Julius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written story about a Catholic priest in a small industrial city in Scotland during World War I, the 1920s and the 1930s. Deals with anti-Catholic bigotry, the everyday travails of living as a Christian and the meaning of sin. Very well written; like taking a trip back in time to a simpler era. I had to keep looking up out of date phrases.
Susan
Dec 29, 2008 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book when I was in high school, and I loved it. Reread it to see if I could still find anything in it, and I did. it's a gentle book,with musings about the world, the Catholic church, and it's meaning and purpose.
Willa Grant
Jan 30, 2009 Willa Grant rated it it was amazing
A sweet little book of fiction about a priest's life, written in 1945, set around 1908- 1940. This is a favorite of mine since I was about 12. Funny & serious & delightful. I re-read it every few years.
Leslie Sholly
May 29, 2008 Leslie Sholly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Catholics
This is a Catholic book, a story of everyday holiness over a long and faithful life, and a portrait of a particular time and place in the life of the Church and of Scotland.
Katheryn Kirchmeir
Feb 10, 2012 Katheryn Kirchmeir rated it it was amazing
Read it in English. Funny, sad and a good look back.
Carlo Mayer
Oct 17, 2012 Carlo Mayer added it
Shelves: inglese
Finito il 1966
Chiara
Chiara rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Simonetta Scotto
Simonetta Scotto rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2016
Libor Zukal
Libor Zukal rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Karel
Karel rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2015
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Tommaso Simone
Tommaso Simone is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2015
Robino
Robino marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Kelly Beaudoin
Kelly Beaudoin marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Vojta
Vojta rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2015
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2015
Pietro Versari
Pietro Versari rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2015
Marcin Bajer
Marcin Bajer rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2014
Tereza
Tereza rated it it was ok
Sep 22, 2014
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014