Start by marking “On Leaving Charleston” as Want to Read:
On Leaving Charleston

On Leaving Charleston

From the waning glory of the Old South...

The plantation house, the lands, the golden traditions of Ashley Barony made it the pride of Charleston. But its fortunes fell violently, irrevocably, on Margaret Garden Tradd's scandalous wedding day.

To the wild razzle-dazzle of the jazz age....

From an ugly duckling love child, Garden Tradd became the glorious belle her mother, Mar
Published September 1st 1991 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about On Leaving Charleston, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Leaving Charleston

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk KiddThe Prince of Tides by Pat ConroyLowcountry Boil by Susan M. BoyerSouth of Broad by Pat ConroyLowcountry Boneyard by Susan M. Boyer
Books Set in South Carolina
23rd out of 98 books — 44 voters
One for the Money by Janet EvanovichOthello by William ShakespeareOne Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken KeseyThe Once and Future King by T.H. WhiteOutlander by Diana Gabaldon
Good Books that Begin with O
74th out of 339 books — 44 voters

More lists with this book...

Sara Jo Schmidt
Jul 07, 2013 Sara Jo Schmidt rated it it was amazing
This is one of the rare occasions where the sequel was better than the original!

The reason I liked this one more was because it was not as predictable as the first one. In the original "Charleston", I could practically see when danger was coming. I knew what was coming and when it was going to come. Still enjoyed it, but was not the same in this enthralling sequel.

This book was a prime example of some SERIOUS girl on girl hate. Namely a mother in law against a daughter in law who really didn't
A great book of the South in the early 1900's.
A story of how the blood lines of persons were more important
than the amount of money they may have.
A young Southern 17 year old girl marries a man from a family
with money and goes to live in Europe and lives a very wild
life. The mother does not approve of her because she had lived
in Charleston as a child also and was in love with this girl's
father but did not marry him. Revenge is very prominate in the
telling this story.
I really enjoyed this story
Jan 17, 2016 Alicia rated it really liked it
I read this book forever ago, so i dont remember all of the details, but i do remember that it was REALLY good, just what you expect from alexandra ripley. the main character is real and lovable, and the plot is amazing, spanning several decades and featuring a few smart, beautiful, kick-butt southern women
Paula Mccallum
Aug 11, 2016 Paula Mccallum rated it really liked it
Historical fiction is my genre! This covered, not only my beloved adopted home of SC, but the fascinating events of the first third of the 20th century (the South, still recovering from the wohwah [civil war] and adjusting to a new way of life, the dawning of the age of the automobile, electric lights & the telephone, the roaring 20's, the Europe of F. Scott & Zelda Fitzgerald & Ernest Hemingway (a seriously fast crowd
Elizabeth Ruth
Sep 15, 2013 Elizabeth Ruth rated it really liked it
So this is the sequel to another Ripley tome, which I had to read immediately because the first book ends on a cliffhanger. And I almost put this down more than once, because the cliffhanger doesn't end for the first 300 pages of this one. I fumed and raged and read on, because I couldnt give up hope.. And I was vindicated. This is a tremendously satisfying and salacious sequel to the first Charleston book, if you can forgive the ridiculous narrative structure and prolonged cliffhanger. Ripley l ...more
Jenn Konkel
May 26, 2015 Jenn Konkel rated it it was ok
Mar 03, 2010 Chris rated it it was ok
Alexandra Ripley has a gift for describing the beauty of the south. I didn't enjoy the story line as much as I thought I would. In the first 70 pages you enjoy 8 new characters, then she kills off 7 of 'em! It seemed like killing off the troublemakers was her way of taking care of the difficulties, which was kind of boring. It was, however, a nice light read that took almost no concentration to stay into; which is great when I'm trying to escape into a book for 10 min at a time.
Oct 07, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it
As with all the other Ripley books I have read, this one had a rushed ending that came abruptly. Talk about deux machina too. I enjoyed reading about the time period, but didn't like how they ended Garden and Sky. Nor did I care for all the Charleston rules stuff. I could have gotten over my dislikes more if the ending were stronger. Not a bad read, but it could have been a great one.
Aug 10, 2009 Rosslyn rated it it was amazing
The 1920's are often skipped in the world of romance, not so in this wonderful novel that covers this time period elegantly and realistically. This is one story that is full of historical facts. The author gives the reader a refreshingly accurate depiction of life as a 1920's flapper, a lifestyle which she shows was not without its repercussions.
Jan 13, 2008 Ann rated it it was amazing
Loved it. LOVED it. Absolutely loved it.
I am a big Charleston fan, so anything about the city is just a joy for me. I fell in love with the characters. You need to read Ripley's first book about Charleston before this one, tho.
Feb 25, 2009 Tammy rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
I read this the first time way back when I heard she was going to write the sequel to 'Gone with the Wind'.
Apr 23, 2009 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Another good read.You fall in love with the characters and you also hate the evil mother inlaw..Hard to put down and you feel sad when the story ends.Not that ends badly it's just you miss the characters and the story.
Lori Baldi
Oct 11, 2011 Lori Baldi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book and need to re-read it soon. This was the first book I read by Ripley and have been a fan ever since. I love the time period of the 20s and the main character was exciting. This is a keeper!
Sep 08, 2011 Raye rated it it was amazing
Another one that was great! I was happy with how it turned out but really got mad at some of the charectors in her book. That's how you can tell it is a good book-how invloved you get with the people.
Jun 23, 2007 HeavyReader rated it liked it
Recommends it for: romance novel junkies
Shelves: fiction
Another one that I remember nothing about except that I really liked it at the time, "the time" being high school or maybe even junior high.
Linda Kemp
Aug 02, 2010 Linda Kemp rated it it was amazing
Garden's life from ugly duckling to becoming full of beauty, strength and facing the "facts", realizing who you are and what you want.
Oct 26, 2008 April rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all-time favorite books. It's about to fall apart because I have read it so many times! It's just a fun read!
Jan 05, 2011 Marilyn rated it really liked it
It's a bit Gone with the Wind - ish, but I loved reading historical fiction on Charleston when I was there.
Jul 03, 2011 Vikki rated it really liked it
This is the continuation of the book Charleston. An excellent book. I really did enjoy it. A clean book.
Dec 03, 2007 Lindsay rated it really liked it
I got into the main character. I could relate to her feelings of displacement. Read it straight through.
Meghan Weaver
Aug 25, 2008 Meghan Weaver rated it liked it
It was okay, for once I did not feel like Ripley left me flat and unfulfilled.
Dec 22, 2008 +*ashley*+ rated it really liked it
I have read this book so many times and still do not get tired of it.
Laura Millerick
started reading on 9/3/94 i gave it 3 stars back then ***
Aug 02, 2007 Christa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves Charleston and the old south
I save this and pull it out to reread every few years.
Jan 21, 2014 Justice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stacy added it
Oct 16, 2016
Kara rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2016
  • Before the Darkness Falls (Savannah Quartet, #3)
  • Crescent Carnival
  • A Woman Called Fancy
  • Nightsong
  • Three Cheers for Me (The Bandy Papers, #1)
  • Canaan: A Novel
  • The Black Swan
  • As Ever, Booky (Booky, #3)
  • Domingo's Angel
  • Spanish Serenade
  • Night Jasmine
  • In the Shadow of the Moon
  • Wild Swan (Wild Swan Trilogy, #1)
  • Crescent City
  • Charleston
Alexandra Ripley was an American writer best known as the author of Scarlett, the sequel to Gone with the Wind. Her first novel was Who's the Lady in the President's Bed?. Charleston, her first historical novel, was a bestseller, as were her next books On Leaving Charleston, The Time Returns, and New Orleans Legacy. Scarlett received some bad reviews, but was very successful nonetheless. She atten ...more
More about Alexandra Ripley...