Start by marking “Irish Lace (Nuala Anne McGrail, #2)” as Want to Read:
Irish Lace (Nuala Anne McGrail, #2)

Irish Lace (Nuala Anne McGrail #2)

Published April 1st 2010 by Tor Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Irish Lace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Irish Lace

Katie
Jan 20, 2010 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so this book sounds even MORE like a bodice-ripper than "Irish Gold" but it's not, I swear. The main characters and their relationship are still a lot of fun, and I learned about the part that Chicago played in the Civil War (a topic completely new to me). Be forewarned: Republicans are consistently the bad guys, and the author makes no apology for this. The blatant political leaning is unnecessary and gets tiresome.
Toni
Jan 20, 2009 Toni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like all the "Irish" Greeley books. The Nuala Anne McGrail Series is my favorite.
Robyn Jones
Mar 18, 2017 Robyn Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not much into romance novels, however .. that being said.. there was a lot more to this book then just the romance. I found the historical aspects of this story to be interesting, although I am not sure how accurate. I enjoyed the many conspiracies the main character had to work through, and the "Irish brogue" made for interesting reading. There was a fair amount of politics in the story, but I felt that it couldn't have been written any other way considering the characters and the history. ...more
Robyn Jones
Mar 18, 2017 Robyn Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Barbara
Thought I’d try this series – especially since I remembered enjoying Father (a Catholic Priest) Andrew Greeley’s books in the past.

I did enjoy this. However, I did forget how sincere, passionate and interminably focused Greeley could be on the Celtic/Irish race, heritage, folklore, etc., etc. I do have small stake in this – for some odd known reason I have been drawn to the Celtic heritage/race and have married a man of Irish descent. However, why I seem to understand and resonate with this her
Gloria
Feb 15, 2010 Gloria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The beautiful and fey--as they say in the Old Country--Nuala Anne McGrail uses her psychic abilities to help solve mysteries. But even she will admit with a smile that she couldn't do it without Dermot Michael Coyne, her devoted admirer and self-proclaimed "spear carrier."Now both living in Chicago, their unique courtship is once again interrupted by one of Nuala's "spells." On a quiet street on the South Shore, she is overwhelmed by the screaming of thousands of dying men--Confederate soldiers ...more
David
Nov 25, 2011 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although it won't be the most memorable book, still a good read. When I picked it up, seeing that it was published by Tor. Tor specializes im Fantasy/ Science fiction Books. I said to Myself, This should be interesting, Andrew Greeley Writing a novel in this vein. And about a psychic at that.

But to my dissapppointment it was a typical Mystery Novel. But a good portion of the Book, described the Civil War as it Played out in the Chicago area, so i was pleasantly suprised by that fact, since i am
Rachel
Dec 31, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've truly liked the books of this series. There are some mystical elements that are a bit strange, but the characters are interesting and have mostly good morals. All in all, these are good mysteries. They are written well also although I was surprised at the level of eroticism considering the series is by a priest.
In each book,the couple solves at least one older often ancient mystery and a current-time mystery that are slightly connected as well as work through a crisis in their relationship
Robin
Apr 09, 2011 Robin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This one had been sitting on my shelf for years. I have no recollection as to when or why I bought it. Maybe during my Nora Roberts Irish phase? I dunno. Well. It was a long, trudging journey. I kept expecting (hoping!) it would somehow get better, the narrator less annoying and cloying, the "mystery" (frankly, there wasn't much of one) more gripping, the preachiness less grating... but no. It didn't. At least I finished it. Though I kind of wonder why.
Paigersoccerfan
Jan 16, 2009 Paigersoccerfan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book in 4 days! I liked it almost as much as Irish Gold. It was charmingly written, great characters, a good bit of history and mystery and romance. My only criticism is that there was a little too much political rhetoric in this book to suit my tastes. I love the characters, however, so I'll keep reading. I have to know what happens next, don't I?
Thomas S
Maybe 2 and 1/2 stars. The sequel to Irish Gold and not as compelling. Set in Chicago as opposed to Ireland, the dynamic Irish duo this time set out to investigate a mystery surrounding a Union POW Camp on the shores of Lake Michigan during the Civil War. A quick, easy read but I wasn't sorry to finish.
Beth
Aug 26, 2008 Beth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't get started. I read the first 30 pages two or three times and gave up. I guess that doesn't really count as reading....
Whimsical
Aug 05, 2011 Whimsical rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Not my favorite Greeley novel.
Jayne
Oct 01, 2009 Jayne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by my dad, it was okay. Too disjointed and too much political rhetoric
Patti Papineau
Sep 10, 2014 Patti Papineau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy Naula and Dermotd
Suzanne
Jul 14, 2008 Suzanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody
Recommended to Suzanne by: bought it at book fundraiser
The main character came over from Ireland & had a view of how the Americans live. Got a glimpse of how the Irish speak & what they wear. A fiction book with lots of history. Very nice love story.
Beth McGoldrick
Apr 23, 2014 Beth McGoldrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
liked the history of Chicago Camp Douglas aspect and the end ( won't spoil it)
Barbara
Another good Greely book of Irish America but is it becoming a wee bit political?
Ellen
Sep 05, 2016 Ellen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as Irish Gold
Beth
May 24, 2010 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Nuala Anne McGrail's world mysteries in present day America or Ireland always parallel the past, mysteries old and new get solved, and love wins out. I love escaping into her world.
Sherry
Mar 13, 2014 Sherry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't really like it...I like some history in my books, but this one had TOO much. Couldn't finish it.
Kirk
Jan 21, 2013 Kirk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2nd of 12 books. Love the characters.
Lois
May 31, 2013 Lois rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
R.I.P Andrew M. Greeley
Marie
Jun 18, 2010 Marie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Read many, many years ago when I was going through my Irish phase.
Joan
Joan rated it liked it
May 05, 2011
Raegan
Raegan rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2011
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Kat
Kat rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2012
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2012
  • Irish Blood
  • Black Collar (Uncommon Rebels Trilogy, #1)
  • One for Sorrow, Two for Joy
  • THE BARREL MURDER - a Detective Joe Petrosino case (based on true events)
  • Endangered (Summer Westin Mystery, #1)
  • Tuesday the Rabbi Saw Red
  • 1921: The Great Novel of the Irish Civil War
  • A River Town
  • Pussyfoot (Midnight Louie, #2)
  • Best European Fiction 2012
  • Pay The Devil
  • Through the Window (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #12.5)
  • Archie in the Crosshairs
  • The Typist
  • A Trio for Lute
  • The Lincoln Conspiracy
  • The Ballroom on Magnolia Street
  • Long Time Coming
Andrew Greeley was a Roman Catholic priest, sociologist, journalist, and author of 50 best-selling novels and more than 100 works of nonfiction. For decades, Greeley entertained readers with such popular characters as the mystery-solving priest Blackie Ryan and the fey, amateur sleuth Nuala Anne McGrail. His books typically center on Irish-American Roman Catholics living or working in Chicago.

htt
More about Andrew M. Greeley...

Nuala Anne McGrail (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Irish Gold (Nuala Anne McGrail, #1)
  • Irish Whiskey (Nuala Anne McGrail, #3)
  • Irish Mist (Nuala Anne McGrail, #4)
  • Irish Eyes (Nuala Anne McGrail, #5)
  • Irish Love (Nuala Anne McGrail, #6)
  • Irish Stew! (Nuala Anne McGrail, #7)
  • Irish Cream (Nuala Anne McGrail, #8)
  • Irish Crystal (Nuala Anne McGrail, #9)
  • Irish Linen (Nuala Anne McGrail, #10)
  • Irish Tiger (Nuala Anne McGrail, #11)