Start by marking “Irish Lace (Nuala Anne McGrail, #2)” as Want to Read:
Irish Lace (Nuala Anne McGrail, #2)

Irish Lace (Nuala Anne McGrail #2)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  752 ratings  ·  25 reviews

Published April 1st 2010 by Tor Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Irish Lace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Irish Lace

Toni
I like all the "Irish" Greeley books. The Nuala Anne McGrail Series is my favorite.
Barbara
Thought I’d try this series – especially since I remembered enjoying Father (a Catholic Priest) Andrew Greeley’s books in the past.

I did enjoy this. However, I did forget how sincere, passionate and interminably focused Greeley could be on the Celtic/Irish race, heritage, folklore, etc., etc. I do have small stake in this – for some odd known reason I have been drawn to the Celtic heritage/race and have married a man of Irish descent. However, why I seem to understand and resonate with this her
Gloria
The beautiful and fey--as they say in the Old Country--Nuala Anne McGrail uses her psychic abilities to help solve mysteries. But even she will admit with a smile that she couldn't do it without Dermot Michael Coyne, her devoted admirer and self-proclaimed "spear carrier."Now both living in Chicago, their unique courtship is once again interrupted by one of Nuala's "spells." On a quiet street on the South Shore, she is overwhelmed by the screaming of thousands of dying men--Confederate soldiers ...more
David
Although it won't be the most memorable book, still a good read. When I picked it up, seeing that it was published by Tor. Tor specializes im Fantasy/ Science fiction Books. I said to Myself, This should be interesting, Andrew Greeley Writing a novel in this vein. And about a psychic at that.

But to my dissapppointment it was a typical Mystery Novel. But a good portion of the Book, described the Civil War as it Played out in the Chicago area, so i was pleasantly suprised by that fact, since i am
Rachel
I've truly liked the books of this series. There are some mystical elements that are a bit strange, but the characters are interesting and have mostly good morals. All in all, these are good mysteries. They are written well also although I was surprised at the level of eroticism considering the series is by a priest.
In each book,the couple solves at least one older often ancient mystery and a current-time mystery that are slightly connected as well as work through a crisis in their relationship
Patti Papineau
I enjoy Naula and Dermotd
Robin
This one had been sitting on my shelf for years. I have no recollection as to when or why I bought it. Maybe during my Nora Roberts Irish phase? I dunno. Well. It was a long, trudging journey. I kept expecting (hoping!) it would somehow get better, the narrator less annoying and cloying, the "mystery" (frankly, there wasn't much of one) more gripping, the preachiness less grating... but no. It didn't. At least I finished it. Though I kind of wonder why.
Sherry
Didn't really like it...I like some history in my books, but this one had TOO much. Couldn't finish it.
Katie
Okay, so this book sounds even MORE like a bodice-ripper than "Irish Gold" but it's not, I swear. The main characters and their relationship are still a lot of fun, and I learned about the part that Chicago played in the Civil War (a topic completely new to me). Be forewarned: Republicans are consistently the bad guys, and the author makes no apology for this. The blatant political leaning is unnecessary and gets tiresome.
Paigersoccerfan
I finished this book in 4 days! I liked it almost as much as Irish Gold. It was charmingly written, great characters, a good bit of history and mystery and romance. My only criticism is that there was a little too much political rhetoric in this book to suit my tastes. I love the characters, however, so I'll keep reading. I have to know what happens next, don't I?
Thomas S
Maybe 2 and 1/2 stars. The sequel to Irish Gold and not as compelling. Set in Chicago as opposed to Ireland, the dynamic Irish duo this time set out to investigate a mystery surrounding a Union POW Camp on the shores of Lake Michigan during the Civil War. A quick, easy read but I wasn't sorry to finish.
Suzanne
Jul 24, 2008 Suzanne rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody
Recommended to Suzanne by: bought it at book fundraiser
The main character came over from Ireland & had a view of how the Americans live. Got a glimpse of how the Irish speak & what they wear. A fiction book with lots of history. Very nice love story.
Beth
In Nuala Anne McGrail's world mysteries in present day America or Ireland always parallel the past, mysteries old and new get solved, and love wins out. I love escaping into her world.
Beth Mcgoldrick
liked the history of Chicago Camp Douglas aspect and the end ( won't spoil it)
Beth
I couldn't get started. I read the first 30 pages two or three times and gave up. I guess that doesn't really count as reading....
Jack
Fun tale of two lovable young Irish characters that weaves in some interesting Irish history
Jayne
Recommended by my dad, it was okay. Too disjointed and too much political rhetoric
Barbara
Another good Greely book of Irish America but is it becoming a wee bit political?
Marie
Read many, many years ago when I was going through my Irish phase.
Joyce McKune
Nuala Anne & Dermot solve conspiracy mystery.
Whimsical
Not my favorite Greeley novel.
Carol
Fun, didn't want to put it down.
Kirk
2nd of 12 books. Love the characters.
Lois
R.I.P Andrew M. Greeley
Bobbi Hawkins
Bobbi Hawkins marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
  • Irish Blood
  • THE BARREL MURDER - a Detective Joe Petrosino case (based on true events)
  • One for Sorrow, Two for Joy
  • A River Town
  • Black Collar (Uncommon Rebels Trilogy, #1)
  • Tuesday the Rabbi Saw Red
  • Endangered (Summer Westin Mystery, #1)
  • 1921: The Great Novel of the Irish Civil War
  • The Murderer's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #6)
  • Through the Window (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #12.5)
  • The Lincoln Conspiracy
  • Pussyfoot (Midnight Louie, #2)
  • The Lodge of the Lynx (Adept #2)
  • The Cat Who Said Cheese (Cat Who... #18)
  • The Tudor Plot (Cotton Malone, #7.5)
  • The Ballroom on Magnolia Street
  • Murder of a Botoxed Blonde (A Scumble River Mystery, #9)
Andrew Greeley was a Roman Catholic priest, sociologist, journalist, and author of 50 best-selling novels and more than 100 works of nonfiction. For decades, Greeley entertained readers with such popular characters as the mystery-solving priest Blackie Ryan and the fey, amateur sleuth Nuala Anne McGrail. His books typically center on Irish-American Roman Catholics living or working in Chicago.

htt
More about Andrew M. Greeley...

Nuala Anne McGrail (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Irish Gold (Nuala Anne McGrail, #1)
  • Irish Whiskey (Nuala Anne McGrail, #3)
  • Irish Mist (Nuala Anne McGrail, #4)
  • Irish Eyes (Nuala Anne McGrail, #5)
  • Irish Love (Nuala Anne McGrail, #6)
  • Irish Stew! (Nuala Anne McGrail, #7)
  • Irish Cream (Nuala Anne McGrail, #8)
  • Irish Crystal (Nuala Anne McGrail, #9)
  • Irish Linen (Nuala Anne McGrail, #10)
  • Irish Tiger (Nuala Anne McGrail, #11)
Irish Gold (Nuala Anne McGrail, #1) The Cardinal Sins Irish Mist (Nuala Anne McGrail, #4) Irish Whiskey (Nuala Anne McGrail, #3) The Bishop and the Beggar Girl of St. Germain (Blackie Ryan, #13)