Start by marking “Talking to the Dead” as Want to Read:
Talking to the Dead

Talking to the Dead

Throughout history, people have sought ways to contact the dead and spirits. Such experiences challenge beliefs and often set people on a path of deeper exploration, looking for validation—and ways to have controlled, direct contact. Do spirit communication devices really work? What are the prospects of someday being able to pick up a cell phone or sit in front of a webcam ...more
Published October 11th 2011 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Talking to the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Talking to the Dead

Vincent O'Neil
Sep 06, 2011 Vincent O'Neil rated it really liked it
In the interest of full disclosure, Rosemary Ellen Guiley is a dear friend. I read as many of her books as possible, and know her to be the most through and accurate researcher of the paranormal available. I trust her.

I fall asleep listening to Coast to Coast AM every night. George Noory makes every effort to be fair and comprehensive. It is my favorite broadcast.

I really enjoy it when both get together on the radio, and wish they could do it more often. It is good to see them team up in print.

N
Kme_17
Sep 14, 2011 Kme_17 rated it liked it
I won this book with first reads. It is an very informative book. This book has facts and detail a plenty . If someone is truly intrested in starting to try to communicate with the dead it has a way of going about this. The book also has quite a history of the pursuit to talk to the dead. However for a person such as myself who has a novice intrest in the subject this book can get a little hard to read. Definitely informative and the authors truly try to look at all sides of the issue. Also I de ...more
Claire
Mar 03, 2017 Claire rated it really liked it
It's hard to research paranormal activity without feeling crazy, but this book did a good job of helping me feel like it's a valid topic.

Some of the theories and tools mentioned therein seemed a bit far-fetched to me, but then I saw one of the Timestream theories from the end of the book in a blockbuster movie!

I was looking for a book with more examples of paranormal experiences, but the information on technology used in this research was fascinating, anyway.

Samira Elytess
Jul 07, 2016 Samira Elytess rated it really liked it
Shelves: metaphysics
I learned about Electronic Voice Phenomena (EVP) in this book. It's an electronic box which Others (Beings, dead people,ETs, parallel universe,and etc.) talk through.
The Others helped inventors in building this device in the form of dream,inspiration,idea,or clairaudience. This tells me that the credit for inventions and discoveries should not go to human beings as humans are just a vessel to channel information. Therefore, all the noble prizes have to awarded to the non-humans.

As to how the b
Cornerofmadness
Oct 09, 2012 Cornerofmadness rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-hauntings
I bought this book for several reasons, the main one being my interest in ghosts and EVPs. I also listen to George Noory’s radio show Coast to Coast and I’ve read many of Ms Guiley’s work. I got this from her at the Mothman festival this year and am looking forward to talking to her next time about it if possible.

I was hoping that it wouldn’t be just antecedents from the radio show and while there were a few of them, just enough to not feel overwhelming. Instead, the book was about the history o
Sreedevi Viswambaran
Jan 19, 2016 Sreedevi Viswambaran rated it it was ok
Few months ago I have read a book on afterlife - The Laws of The Spirit World. The book was not as impressive as I thought and I gave a 3 rating for that.(https://hazydreamsandreflections.word...). While reading this book, I was constantly reminded of that one. Many a things described in the book about afterlife and the 'other world' seem very similar to that one of the book. There is little chance of plagiarism and the similarities surprised me to say the least. May be the 'other' world is inde ...more
Jill Furedy
Jun 02, 2013 Jill Furedy marked it as to-read
Thought I'd better make a note on this book...won it on first reads over a year ago, and if I understand correctly, not reviewing it lowered my odds of winning other books. I entered to win it because my husband had been subjecting me to Ghost Adventures, or Hunters, or something like that...there are a couple of shows and I couldn't tell you which is which. I saw this in giveaways and thought it might be more interesting to read a book about it than to watch those shows, which are really about ...more
Matt
Sep 25, 2011 Matt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway-books
I really enjoyed this book, I poured right through it. The subject matter was very different from other books on the spirit world, that I have read. As a spirit medium and recent guest on Coast to Coast. I have expierenced many of the things talked about in the book. Spirit box communication, phone calls from the dead ect. The book goes into the history of these things and projects what could be in our future, The possibility of communicating with the dead in real time via a phone or computer. T ...more
Judy
Sep 16, 2011 Judy rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This is the first book that I have been privileged to receive as a first read.
Several times in my life I have heard, seen or dreamed things that really made me wonder. This book was really an interesting read that left me open to the possibility that communication with the deceased may happen. I found it fascinating that so many devices have been used, and with good results (?). Although questions remain for me, I am one who retreats back to my religious beliefs yet applaud the scientific resea
Amy
May 22, 2012 Amy rated it did not like it
If you like reading anecdotal accounts of talking to the dead using technology then this is the book for you. While this book had some interesting technical information, it really didn't spark my interest at all. Pretty sad since I do like to read about paranormal.
Lisa
Jan 26, 2013 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the flow of the book but after awhile I was bored with all the talk of the various electronic devices that have been built/used. I thought it would expand into more areas. I do enjoy George when I see him interviewed on tv.
Jana Denardo
Oct 06, 2012 Jana Denardo rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-hauntings
This is a very interesting book on the evolution of the electronic voice phenomenon (EVP) from it's earlier days til now. It also looks at the possibility of the voices not being ghosts but rather alternative dimensions so there's a little M theory tossed into the mix.
Lauren
Sep 04, 2012 Lauren rated it it was ok
I am a huge George Noory fan and was expecting a lot from this book. Clearly I am disappointed. The book is heavy on the history of spirit communications - I was looking for more current information and more personal experience stories. Still love George and Coast to Coast
Natajia
Sep 06, 2011 Natajia rated it did not like it
Eh.
While it did have a lot of information about the technology and instruments used to 'talk to the dead,' it wasn't any different than the 34837 other books on the subject.
So informative? yes.
New and exciting? not in the least.
Emily Dean
Aug 08, 2015 Emily Dean rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
This book was about 10% interesting and 90% about refuted "breakthroughs" that happened decades ago. Really disappointed.
Violet
Sep 19, 2011 Violet rated it liked it
Shelves: spritual-fiction
This book was okay. It seemed to concentrate more on th Electronic Vioce Phenomena and the boxes used. There were parts of this book that seemed a little far fetched and confusing.
Bill
Mar 15, 2013 Bill rated it it was amazing
Excellent book co-written by the host of Coast-to-Coast AM.
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2013
Don
Don rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Claire
Claire rated it it was ok
Dec 23, 2016
Yvonne Tirado
Yvonne Tirado rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2014
Jenny Charchar
Jenny Charchar rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
Leesa Bloom
Leesa Bloom rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
Hannah Stafford
Hannah Stafford rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2016
Christopher
Christopher rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Deborah
Deborah rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2015
Zenon
Zenon rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Dodie Reed
Dodie Reed rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2011
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2015
Deb
Deb rated it it was ok
May 01, 2012
  • The Mammoth Book of True Hauntings
  • The Haunting of America: From the Salem Witch Trials to Harry Houdini
  • Field of Screams: Haunted Tales From The Baseball Diamond, The Locker Room, And Beyond
  • Haunted New York City: Ghosts and Strange Phenomena of the Big Apple
  • Old Ghosts
  • My Pet Chicken Handbook: Sensible Advice and Savvy Answers for Raising Backyard Chickens
  • Poltergeist! (Fate Presents)
  • The Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits
  • The Lost Book of Mala R.
  • Calling Mr. King
  • Ghosts: A Natural History: 500 Years of Searching for Proof
  • Meatless Meals for Meat Eaters: Over 150 Delicious Recipes
  • The Ghosts Who Travel with Me: A Literary Pilgrimage Through Brautigan's America
  • The World's Most Haunted House: The True Story of the Bridgeport Poltergeist on Lindley Street
  • Occult America: The Secret History of How Mysticism Shaped Our Nation
  • The Laird of Loch Fyne
  • When Ghosts Speak: Understanding the World of Earthbound Spirits
  • Weeknight Gluten Free (Williams-Sonoma): Simple, healthy meals for every night of the week
American talk radio show host on paranormal topics.

Since January 2003, Noory has been the weekday host of the late-night radio talk show Coast to Coast AM.

He has also appeared in the History channel series Ancient Aliens and in Beyond Belief, a subscription-based online video series presented by Gaiam TV.
More about George Noory...