Start by marking “The Company She Keeps” as Want to Read:
The Company She Keeps

The Company She Keeps

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  298 ratings  ·  43 reviews
The author describes her connection to the Mafia, which began during her childhood in Rochester, New York, and the years of abuse and fear before she was able to escape from the darkness.
Published October 1st 1998 by Celebrity Press

To ask other readers questions about The Company She Keeps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Company She Keeps

Sonia Reppe
(Review originally printed at Bookpleasures.com)
For Georgia Durante, a Rochester-based model in the 60’s, the world was “mysterious, exciting, and seductive.” She had an “endless appetite for excitement” and she attracted dangerous men. This led to her having several ties to the Mob and more than one bad relationship, which you can read about in her confessional memoir, The Company She Keeps.

She started running errands for the Mob as a young mother, leaving her baby daughter with her mother. “
Maria
Amy
The back of the book is false advertising. It leads one to believe the story is about a get-away driver for the Mob but in actuality it's about an egomaniacal woman who makes countless terrible decisions and doesn't learn from any of them; it's a long, drawn out chronical of her past relationships with men. The get-away driver parts are next to nil. If you want to indulge in a conversation with a woman who relied heavily on her parents to raise her daughter while she grew up in a bar and several ...more
Melissa
A gritty, hard core insiders look at the world of organized crime, mainly based in Rochester, through the story of this woman's extremely difficult life. Her life is incredible: modeling, stunt driving, every kind of abuse imaginable, several marriages and divorces, plane crashes, murder, crime, corruption, you name it. It was very interesting to read in more detail about the Italian mafia when I've only heard brief stories through family members over the years. It's a world that most of suburbi ...more
Angie
I am obsessed with the mafia. This was an interesting perspective of someone not quite "made" but a part of the inner circle of the Rochester mafia. If you can get past the fact that the author is a unrelenting egomaniac, you can be entertained. It was hard for me to respect a woman who repeatedly made such poor mistakes. I hoped to read her epiphany in actual events instead of having her say, "I had my a-ha moment.". Still it was an entertaining read.
Mark
Feb 12, 2008 Mark rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: women and men who like to read about adventurous women
Recommended to Mark by: Georgia Durante
Georgia wrote a first person account of a life that would make a good movie or series. She was a beautiful and wild teenager who got mixed up with gangsters and drove getaway cars while she was modeling for Eastman Kodak. I think most women will find her story compelling and a lot of men will as well. I know I did. She did a good job of telling her story and she's got quite a story to tell.
Jessica
This is a great book. The mob world is something that I knew nothing about, so that was interesting. The social worker in me cried for Georgia and I'm thankful for her speaking out for abused women. Knowing her personally in her life after what the book covers makes it a special book for me. Great lady, great book!
Craig
Georgia Durante has lived a life few have.She has had her ups and downs like anyone else has.But with her her highs and lows have been so much more.The book kept me up most nights.With this true life story being fast paced and an inspiration.And shows how people can have two diffrent sides to them as diffrent as night and day.
Roxanne
This is a wonderful survivor story about a women who married into the mob and the life she lead.From Beautiful model to driving for gangsters it is a page turner that you just cannot put down. Great for people who like memiors,true crime or just a really good book.It is one that stays with you.
Christie

Excellent book. This woman fell into a life that books are to be wrote about. Her involvement in the mob and the way they protected her. Her hardships in relationships were heartbreaking. I admire her for how she overcame adversity and made something of herself....on her terms.
Amanda
I heard Georgia Durante on the breakfast buzz and thought it would be a cool book to read since it's so close to home. I could not stop reading this book, it was amazing!
Lindsey Jones
Couldn't get enough of this book...what a life!
Catherine
I read this book because I grew up in Rochester NY. Many of the neighborhoods were familiar to me, as were many of the situations. I read about them in the newspapers as they were happening. My family even had a connection with some of the characters. So I read those parts of the book with interest and anticipation...even taking the time to Google Sammy G, and the rest.

I simply cannot understand the bad choices the author made--over and over and over again! So when the book wrapped up 'the mob'
Jess
A story of abuse, with a loose background cast of mobsters. First 1/4 was very compelling, but the book slowed toward the halfway mark and thereafter.
Erin
I had heard Georgia on "The Breakfast Buzz" and this book sounded fabulous. She grew up in East Rochester. Her time in ER was in the 60s so a lot of the stuff was unfamiliar to me. She also talked a lot about mob affiliations in Rochester, another unfamiliar topic to me. It's an interesting read, but I finished thinking "This cannot all be true!" It was one bad situation after another. It wasn't what I was expecting, which is why it took me so long to read and it probably never would have been f ...more
Richard Devin
Great insight into the tortured life of a mob wife.
Jan
I have mixed feelings about this book. It was interesting, but seemed very far fetched. If it was all true, it is an example of the truth being stranger than fiction. The author spends a great deal of time justifying bad choices and blaming others. It is a great book for light travel reading if you like to read about the Mafia. I read a digital version, it would have helped to have pictures.
M.J. Groves
Well, a writer she's not, but the story was pretty darn interesting anyway. I was difficult for me to read about her persistent victim-hood, and with lack of awareness of how self-centered she was/is. But, she's real, and that was enough of a good read for me. I would definitely recommend it, just don't expect great writing.
Julia
This was definitely a page-turner about a series of insanely dysfunctional, abusive relationships. Reading this book is like listening to your kind of wild friend who has a crazy life talk for a long time. The drama hooks you in, but you get worn out after hearing the same story over and over but with different characters.
Angela Fierce-marathoner middaugh
An interesting story. This adventure seeking woman got exactly what she was looking for in life and strangely seems to blame others for an unhappy lifestyle. The ending was a bit of a disappointment as she fails to see how her bad choices effected her children. Again, blames others.
Vanessa
Very entertaining, page-turner. Great vacation read, I finished it on a four-day cruise. I enjoyed her style immensely, gutsy, honest and very stream-of-conscious. Not groundbreaking literature, it is the story of a remarkable and sometimes detestable life.
Ratforce
This is the true story of a supermodel who finds herself married into the mob, a position that often leads to her acting as getaway driver, eyewitness, and ultimately deeper into the criminal world than she ever expected. Great for fans of true crime.
Bette Mcmahon
I liked the book very much....I learned about the underworld from a a women's point of view.And what a point of view. This gal has been through a lot. She makes everything so vivid that I felt I was riding along. Goodread for goodfellas and goodgals. WOW!
Melanie Call
Georgia Durante's story is intriguing. I found myself rooting for her, while sometimes also wanting to strangle her for her choices! It was a good book to the end, and it was nice to see an afterword of some updates on her life and her daughters.
April
This was a very good read. It also helped that I was able to meet the author and actually sit down and talk to her. Georgia Durante is a very interest person. This book about her life is a fascinating read.
Sue
Amazing true story of Georgia Durante. Well worth the read. Has some bad language because parts of the book deal with the "mob". It amazes me how one woman could make so many bad choices.
Sheila
A chronicle of Ms. Durante's chaotic, mob-infused life. Highly readable, good beach book, mostly for the train-wreck factor. Three stars. And thanks to Paula for the read!!!!
Janet
True story of Rochester, NY native turned Kodak model in the 60's turned Mafia get away driving turned Hollywood stuntwoman. Abused but fought back. Strong woman, very good!
Suzanne
It was interesting reading - her life was very complicated and she really made bad choices with men. Her kids really have some issues due to the way they grew up.
  • Little Lost Angel
  • The Last Mafioso: The Treacherous World of Jimmy Frantianno
  • Stolen in the Night: The True Story of a Family's Murder, a Kidnapping and the Child Who Survived
  • Mr. Capone
  • Such Good Boys: The True Story of a Mother, Two Sons and a Horrifying Murder
  • The Valachi Papers (aka The Canary That Sang)
  • Mafia Kingfish
  • Blood Secrets: A Forensic Expert Reveals How Blood Spatter Tells the Crime Scene's Story
  • Psycho USA: Famous American Killers You Never Heard Of
  • Every Move You Make
  • Little Man: Meyer Lansky and the Gangster Life
  • Baby Be Mine
  • Red Zone: The Behind-the-Scenes Story of the San Francisco Dog Mauling
  • Laci: Inside the Laci Peterson Murder
  • Anne Perry and the Murder of the Century
  • But I Trusted You and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #14)
  • A Mind for Murder: The Education of the Unabomber and the Origins of Modern Terrorism
  • Foreign Faction - Who Really Kidnapped JonBenet?