Start by marking “Letters of Abelard and Heloise” as Want to Read:
Letters of Abelard and Heloise

Letters of Abelard and Heloise

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Kindle Edition
Published (first published February 24th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Letters of Abelard and Heloise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters of Abelard and Heloise

Cheryl
"All men, I believe, are under a necessity of paying tribute, at some time or other, to Love, and it is vain to strive to avoid it. I was a philosopher, yet this tyrant of the mind triumphed over all my wisdom."

These are the words of Peter Abelard, a controversial philosopher of the Middle Ages, whose erotic and passionate love affair with Heloise caused a clash with ecclesiastical authority resulting in the "amputation of the offending member." Their story has thundered down through 900 years o
Ninette
I must say that these letters were not quite what I had expected. That was because Abelard and Heloise didn't exactly live up to their reputation. I'm not sure how they ever ended up on the most-romantic-tragic-love-story-list. Don't get me wrong, I found the letters profoundly interesting on many different levels. A treasure for historians. Interesting character studies. But romantic? Not so much.

Abelard strikes me as too much of a narcissist to raise much sympathy for his misfortunes – especia
It was encouraging to read Heloise's feisty demands for emotional reciprocity from Abelard (- her husband and father of their son), but a sad reminder that women today still have to fight like hell to get what they NEED, let alone what they want. Abelard was a big shot in philosophy circles, but it's possible that he knew Heloise was even smarter, though neither one would ever admit it.
Morteza
A Medieval era yet the age of atonement.
The time of man and woman bounded by spirituality & sexuality but separated with cruelty.
Story of a man who was dealt a humilating punishment for causing a crime in the eyes of church and its people.
Nienke
For my philosophy class
Crystal
While this is just a brief sample of the letters shared between this historical couple, it's easy to see how trouble their relationship was - and how devoted they remained to each other even after they were separated.
Angelica
A bright but effusive 20-something hopelessly in love with an older man, a famous thinker and polished writer who tries gently, and then less gently, to break it off. A medieval soap opera.
Stephen Trask
Stephen Trask marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Saskia
Saskia marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Binyam Mesfin
Binyam Mesfin marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Floresa Williams
Floresa Williams marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Dec 05, 2014
Sophie
Sophie added it
Dec 01, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Avie
Avie marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Alyssa  Smith-Lee
Alyssa Smith-Lee marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Ascent of Mount Carmel
  • Proslogium/Monologium/Cur Deus Homo/In Behalf of the Fool
  • Catherine of Siena: The Dialogue (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • On Loving God
  • Practice in Christianity (Writings, Vol 20)
  • Jesus Rediscovered
  • The Genesee Diary: Report from a Trappist Monastery
  • Early Christian Doctrines
  • The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church
  • The First Thousand Years: A Global History of Christianity
  • When I Am Playing with My Cat, How Do I Know That She Is Not Playing with Me?: Montaigne and Being in Touch with Life
Bayle was born at Carla-le-Comte (later renamed Carla-Bayle in his honour), near Pamiers, Ariège, France. He was educated by his father, a Calvinist minister, and at an academy at Puylaurens. He afterwards entered a Jesuit college at Toulouse, and became a Roman Catholic a month later (1669). After seventeen months, he returned to Calvinism and fled to Geneva.

There he became acquainted with the te
More about Pierre Bayle...
Historical and Critical Dictionary: Selections A Philosophical Commentary on These Words of the Gospel Various Thoughts on Occasion of a Comet Letter of Abelard and Heloise Pensées sur l'athéisme