Start by marking “If There Be Dragons” as Want to Read:
If There Be Dragons

If There Be Dragons (Pepper #2)

3.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  824 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews

In the isolated sanctuary of her Montana ranch, no one could hurt Brooke Kennedy, whose gift had led her to build walls of ice around her heart. One person had stormed those barricades: her friend Pepper, who embraced the world and meddled in the lives of those she loved. Now Brooke needed help, and Pepper sent troubleshooter Cody Nash to melt the barriers Brooke had raise

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published October 1st 2008 by AudioGO (first published December 1984)

To ask other readers questions about If There Be Dragons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If There Be Dragons

Cindy
Mar 01, 2011 Cindy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A friend recommended the book Here Be Dragons as an excellent book to read. I made the mistake of grabbing this book instead. This book was terrible. The story went nowhere. It was so boring and silly. I listened to it on CD while in the car. The more I listened the more I couldn't wait for it to be over. The narrator wasn't very good either.
Julie (jjmachshev)
Well, umm, it was easy to see this is a re-release of one of her older books (Loveswept, 1984). What a difference almost 25 years makes, eh? The story was... interesting, but I'm pretty sure it was the purple prose that made this so hard for me to get through.

Don't get me wrong. I'm actually a fan of her 'Bishop Special Crimes Unit' series. And I'm mighty glad that her writing has matured over the years and it's always fun to look back at favored authors' earlier stories and try to find similar
Brittany
Nov 14, 2014 Brittany rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book by the author that I read. I did purchase two other books by the author at the same time. Thankfully the reviews on the other two books look good.
I found "If There Be Dragons" to be very boring. The summary on the back made it sound better than it is and more of a thriller. The book is actually a very cheesy love story.
Apparently the man falls in the love with the woman in 2 hours- which is ridiculous; and the the woman is apparently a psychic- which is also ridiculous. To
Carol
Feb 02, 2014 Carol rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was my mistake..I don't read romance and haven't since 1980. I can't rate this book as I did not have the time to read it..So many books but so little time left for me...
Sharon
Feb 04, 2010 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
Read this book in 4 hours. Loved it! The characters Brooke & Cody had the best banter - made me smile. I hate love stories, but this one captured me. "Mister", the donkey as well as "Phantom & Psyche", the wolves made this book enchanted. Oh my gosh.....did I just say that!????!! : ')
Chana
Mar 23, 2015 Chana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, montana
I thought it was a sweet romance. It involves a man and a woman, an isolated lodge in Montana and being snowed in for days. She has trust issues, he wants to be her prince and slay her dragons. A lame wolf is also a character in the story and he has his own romance, love is everywhere. The emphasis is on the emotional bond that develops between the characters rather than on the details of the physical relationship. I think I have just been in the mood for romances lately and so can ignore the l ...more
Vanessa
Mar 16, 2010 Vanessa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Romance
Shelves: own
I gave this one 2 stars instead of one because I now realize I'd read it before and liked it, but frankly, I don't really know why. I thought the Psychic angle would make it more interesting, and I think somewhere near the end, it did. I gave it a good shot this second time around, about half-way through the third out of five discs, I gave up. I love Kay Hooper's Bishop FBI series, and so I can't understand why the writing style in this book made me want to roll my eyes about every 10 seconds.

P
Belle
Jun 18, 2015 Belle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Capitalizing on Hooper's popularity, this reject from the 1980s was republished. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that when I bought the book and eagerly began reading. It quickly became evident that this was drivel and I wasted my money.

Forget the debate about labeling genetically engineered food. Congress needs to demand that previously published books should have a disclaimer on the cover that says "Re-Released".
Linda
I enjoyed the first 2 1/2 hours I devoted to this book but not the last hour and a half. I really felt that if I heard "golden eyes", "honey eyes", "beautiful green eyes" "darling" or "my love" one more time, I might be physically ill. (yes, I listened to the audio book) Not one I would recommend even if someone were looking for a mindless romance as I was.
Denise
Apr 19, 2014 Denise rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romances
Not up to Kay's usual standard. Thought the whole book was based on some strange concepts. Wolves that come to humans for help, wolves that can project their thoughts to humans, and the whole love at first kick thing. I am interested to read the first book in the series. Pepper and Thor sound interesting.
Rosemary Mayes
To bad they don't have a "I'm neutral about this book star. I didn't hate it, but didn't like it so much. It is about a girl and guy stuck in a snowstorm. He helps her to deal with all of her "dragons". Pretty light weight. I didn't quit it so that must mean something.
Caroline
Mar 22, 2009 Caroline rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book doesn't have much of a story line. At all. I kept waiting and waiting, because it starts out ok, but it never goes anywhere. Under the surface, there is a little something. It is what every girl wants to have happen--that her knight will come and make her see reason (or maybe just him) and save her from her quirks...minus all the blizzards. I never wanted blizzards...
The bigger message is that love conquers all and never really abandons you, even if you lose someone in your life. It's
Doris
May 21, 2015 Doris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up as I am a fan of the author's paranormal detective series, the Bishop Files, but this book, although it promised a mystery and a physic event, was just a romance, and not even a good one. Not worth the time it took to speed read.
Judi
Apr 24, 2015 Judi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a decent quick read. The imagery was well written and the love story was perfect. But it was missing something for me ... it didn't have the excitement and adventure i was looking for by reading the title. Still a good read though.
Ashleigh Cutler
I got this from a taxi driver who thought of it because of the "golden eyes" term used in both my own work and this book. I honestly must say yes, I enjoyed it. Still it is trite and romance-novelish which just means I don't like how repetitive said novels ARE. Most of them you can guess the turns and for the most part I did. Still, I like the book enough to keep it so I guess that's something.
Katy
Jun 05, 2014 Katy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kay Hooper is without a doubt one of my favorite authors, but this book was so bad. It was painful to read at times. I love easy to read, romance novels, but this romance felt cheesy and forced.
Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave
This book was boring. The only reason I finished it was because I had it on audio CD and put it on my IPOD. So I was able to do housework while I listed. If it had been any longer than 5 CDS, I wouldn't have bothed to finish it at all. It wasn't truly horrible. But there was no real plot. A mutual friend sends the hero to help the heroine out of trouble. But she isn't in trouble of any kind. She's just lonely. They just sit around and talk most of the time. There's no obstacle to overcome. No ba ...more
Shirley Alvarez
Nov 08, 2015 Shirley Alvarez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
IF THERE BE DRAGONS

All Kay Hooper books are wonderful. I have read all in paper back and now have all on my kindle. These are books you should read more than once.
Michelle
Mar 20, 2014 Michelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Blah! This was so sickening sweet and over dramatic it reminded me of the old 40's movies where everyone overacted. If you're in to mushy romances then this is for you, otherwise just a huge waste of time!
Chrys Matthews
Easy reading

Not really sure but not what I am usually reading. Initially I thought it would be similar to the Bishop series. Good reading through
Randy Holmberg
Quick and easy read. Like all her other romance books, easy yet predictable. This one was a little lame because there were was no suspense or mystery.
This was a slow paced, but sweet story about a couple falling in love while they were trapped in a blizzard in a Montana lodge.
Heather
May 21, 2012 Heather rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
its been a really long time since ive read this,but i remember sum things clearly.
like the fact that the guy had only known her for like a few hours and was basically confessing his undying love. love came really quickly in here if i remember correctly.
everytime the guy would go to say a cuss word, the girl would stop him and he'd end up saying things like "fell on my...pride" or somethin like that.
i remember some figurative/metaphoric stuff about a dragon or somethin. i may have thought some of
Justine Oh
Aug 14, 2015 Justine Oh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
boring comparing with her other books
Linda
Apr 11, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All I can say is I loved it!! Would tell anybody to read it!!
Lisa Penland
This is def. a re-release of an earlier work. I'm a fan of Kay Hooper's Bishop Crime series, and was hoping something in those lines. This story, about a grumpy psychic named Brooke and a professional fixer named Cody is not on the same level. It barely has a plot, and the psychic elements are barely represented - the whole wolf plot line could have been left out.

The only reason I didn't give this book 1 star was the insight into the evolution of the writer. Her growth since this effort has been
Barbara ★
This book is a very cheesy love story that is so sickening sweet, I made me want to puke. So not what I was expecting from Kay Hooper who is actually one of my favorite authors. Come to find out this is a very old book so not up to her usual standards. It started out okay and had a good premise but I kept waiting and waiting for something to actually happen (Brooke was supposed to be in danger after all), but it never goes anywhere except to mushy-gushy overly romantic and dramatic drivel.
Amelia
Definitely not the read I was expecting of Hooper! She's written some amazing books and ' If There Be Dragons', in my opinion, doesn't figure in that list. Although the romance is sweet, the plot lacks conviction and peters out towards the end. Maybe I was expecting it to finish with a bang, with her being psychic and all that, well it wasn't so! Not a bad read, though! However, don't attempt it if you're in the mood for some fast, thrilling drama and action...
Terri
Sep 27, 2008 Terri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I admit that I was expecting a thriller, like the other Kay Hooper books that I've read, and instead got a romance novel. That colored my opinion of the book.

As a love story, it was okay. The romance moved a little fast for my taste, and there wasn't a lot of conflict. Plus the characters have this weird banter about whether or not to use "obey" in their vows, and that was just weird and a bit insulting.

So, an okay book, but nothing great.
  • Capture The Rainbow (Sedikhan, #4)
  • Wither's Legacy (Wendy Ward, #3)
  • Full Moon (Moon, #1-2)
  • Thicker Than Water (Mordecai Young, #1)
  • Inferno
  • I Witch
  • Awaiting the Moon
  • Sealed with a Kill (A Decoupage Mystery, #3)
  • Running Scared (Rarities Unlimited, #2)
  • No Ordinary Man
  • The Labyrinth
  • Missy the Werecat (Missy the Werecat, #1)
  • With a Southern Touch: Adam/A Night in Paradise/Garden Cop
  • The Surgeon (Canadian Mounties, #2)
  • Violets in the Snow (Dukes Trilogy, #1)
  • Slay Bells (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #14)
  • Tressa's Treasures (The King's Jewel, #1)
  • Beguiled (Clan Mackenzie, #4)
Kay Hooper was born in California, in an air force base hospital since her father was stationed there at the time. The family moved back to North Carolina shortly afterward, so she was raised and went to school there.
The oldest of three children, Kay has a brother two years younger and a sister seven years younger. Her father and brother are builders who own a highly respected construction compan
More about Kay Hooper...

Pepper (2 books)
  • Pepper's Way (Pepper, #1)

“But in real life, happily-ever-after is just the beginning. It's where life starts.” 38 likes