Start by marking “The Ant Bully ” as Want to Read:
The Ant Bully

The Ant Bully

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Lucas wishes he could squash that big bully Sid like a bug. But Lucas is too little, and so he bullies the ants instead. Feature film coming Summer 2006!

Lucas is picked on by the neighborhood bully, and in turn terrorizes the ant colony. The ants create a potion that shrinks Lucas to the size of an ant. They put him on trial, and find him guilty of crimes against the colon
Published July 1st 2006 by Scholastic Inc. (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Ant Bully, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ant Bully

Kelly Haacke
I chose the book "The Ant Bully" By John Nickle. This picture book is about a boy named Lucas who gets bullied by his neighbor Sid. Lucas wishes he could squash Sid like a bug, but since Sid is bigger than Lucas, Lucas bullies the ants. Lastly, the ants don't appreciate Sid's games and they attack back. I would say this book is for children ages 5 and up. I gave the book a 3 out off 5 because I thought it was kind of a long picture book and it was an okay book. The plot and the characters were e ...more
Alexandra Chauran
I really enjoyed this book even though it didn't teach any practical lessons about bullying. The tale of a boy shrinking to the size of an ant reminded me delightfully of my Honey I Shrunk The Kids childhood fascination with the idea.
Abby Rose
A little boy gets bullyed by a neighborhood bully named Sid and wants to bully someone to so he decides to bully the ants. I like this book. I totally recommend reading it to 1,2,3 and 4 graders!
Jackie
The Ant Bully is a subtle lesson to teach kids what it is like to be a bully and to be bullied and how its evil passes from one kid to another. Lucas, with funny glasses and a strange hat, is bullied by neighborhood meanie, Sid. Lucas, in turn, bullies something smaller than himself, a colony of ants. When the ants have had enough, they work together to teach Lucas a lesson. Lucas slowly realizes how his bullying is destroying the ant's colony and the queen gives Lucas a job to finally redeem hi ...more
Kirsten
This isn't the world's greatest story, but it went over really well as a read-aloud. The kids were initially interested because of the movie that came out last year, but they also got into the plot and the surprise ending. The illustrations are nice and big, which is helpful for a read-aloud, but I'm not sure how much of the detail comes through for the kids in the back row.
Kayla
Children never think about the insect world much, I know I never did as a child. This cute little book not only teaches kids about the lives of ants but also the importance of leaving nature as it is. This poor fellow gets bullied and thus takes out his anger by bullying the ants. A cute little tale on respecting others as well as nature.
Ryan
The movie wasn't great but it was certainly better than this book.
Nickle's plot was sloppy, his illustrations mediocre, and the story's moral, ambiguous at best. He learns to be nice to insects while getting revenge on his own enemies. That's healthy.
Completely underwhelmed.
Lanelibrarylady
Cute and simple, with the message "treat others the way you would want to be treated", and "you never know how some one feels until you are in their shoes". Simple text and eye catching graphics will make this sometimes sensitive topic an enjoyable read.
Kate Hastings
Grades K-3. Lucus becomes a bully (to ants) when he is bullied by an older child. Good book to use with bullies who might be taking their aggression/frustration out on younger/smaller classmates.
Stacie Graham
Funny and fanatical book about bullies. Interesting to see the life of an ant and how they view humans or "bullies". Good classroom tool if bullying is present.
Sally Staples
I read this book to my kindergarten class. They really enjoyed the illustrations. It is about bullying which led into a good lesson about how to be a good friend.
Michelle
We enjoyed this book a lot. We would talk about how cool it would be if you could go into an ant hill. They work too hard so we wouldn't stay long!:)
Frank
Frank was totally fascinated by this book, and read it many times by himself in addition to all the times he had me read it to him.
Scott Bemisdarfer
This is a great book to discuss bullying and conflict. My four year old thinks this book is mean and doesn't like how the ants are treated.
Jenny
Apr 07, 2008 Jenny rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kindergarten and first graders
Cute story about a young boy taking his frustrations out on ants. The queen ant gets back at him and teaches him a valuable lesson.
Page
We've had some trouble with our 4 year old bullying his little brother and this seemed to give him something to think about.
Suz
Good story to show that bullying others just because you are bullied is not a good choice.
Shannon Clark
Cute story-I was glad that Sid the bully was shrunk at the end!
Dolly
Jul 05, 2008 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with kids
Shelves: childrens, 2006
I didn't think our girls would like this book, but they love it!
Chelsea Bashore
I read this with my little brother and he loved it :)
Courtney
Great book about bullying.
Cws
Jul 07, 2009 Cws added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jear
JEAR3-Nic
Alex Barber
Alex Barber marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Travis
Travis marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Cherysh Furberg
Cherysh Furberg marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Jerika
Jerika added it
Apr 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Alphabet Explosion!: Search and Count from Alien to Zebra Alphabet Explosion! Tv Rex (hc) The Ant Bully Nickle Noir: The Art of John Nickle