Start by marking “The Ant Bully ” as Want to Read:
The Ant Bully

The Ant Bully

Lucas wishes he could squash that big bully Sid like a bug. But Lucas is too little, and so he bullies the ants instead. Feature film coming Summer 2006!

Lucas is picked on by the neighborhood bully, and in turn terrorizes the ant colony. The ants create a potion that shrinks Lucas to the size of an ant. They put him on trial, and find him guilty of crimes against the colon
Published July 1st 2006 by Scholastic Inc. (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Ant Bully, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ant Bully

Mkittysamom
This was a great story about bullies! Shows what comes around goes around 😉! My kids liked it to, great lesson to treat all people and Animals with respect and understanding.
Kelly Haacke
Mar 16, 2015 Kelly Haacke rated it liked it
I chose the book "The Ant Bully" By John Nickle. This picture book is about a boy named Lucas who gets bullied by his neighbor Sid. Lucas wishes he could squash Sid like a bug, but since Sid is bigger than Lucas, Lucas bullies the ants. Lastly, the ants don't appreciate Sid's games and they attack back. I would say this book is for children ages 5 and up. I gave the book a 3 out off 5 because I thought it was kind of a long picture book and it was an okay book. The plot and the characters were e ...more
Melanie
Lucas is bullied by other kids because of his glasses and funny little hat. Sid is the worst bully. Lucas deals with the bullying by bullying the ants on the sidewalk. The ants have finally had enough and carry Lucas into their den underground where he meets the Ant Queen. She orders the Ant Wizard to shrink him and put him on trial. He is assigned to hard manual labor as punishment for how he's treated the ants. After awhile, Lucas come to enjoy working with the ants. When he is sent up into hi ...more
Jackie
Aug 16, 2010 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Ant Bully is a subtle lesson to teach kids what it is like to be a bully and to be bullied and how its evil passes from one kid to another. Lucas, with funny glasses and a strange hat, is bullied by neighborhood meanie, Sid. Lucas, in turn, bullies something smaller than himself, a colony of ants. When the ants have had enough, they work together to teach Lucas a lesson. Lucas slowly realizes how his bullying is destroying the ant's colony and the queen gives Lucas a job to finally redeem hi ...more
Kirsten
This isn't the world's greatest story, but it went over really well as a read-aloud. The kids were initially interested because of the movie that came out last year, but they also got into the plot and the surprise ending. The illustrations are nice and big, which is helpful for a read-aloud, but I'm not sure how much of the detail comes through for the kids in the back row.
Alexandra Chauran
Apr 23, 2014 Alexandra Chauran rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book even though it didn't teach any practical lessons about bullying. The tale of a boy shrinking to the size of an ant reminded me delightfully of my Honey I Shrunk The Kids childhood fascination with the idea.
Hamster
The movie wasn't great but it was certainly better than this book.
Nickle's plot was sloppy, his illustrations mediocre, and the story's moral, ambiguous at best. He learns to be nice to insects while getting revenge on his own enemies. That's healthy.
Completely underwhelmed.
Lanelibrarylady
Apr 22, 2009 Lanelibrarylady rated it really liked it
Cute and simple, with the message "treat others the way you would want to be treated", and "you never know how some one feels until you are in their shoes". Simple text and eye catching graphics will make this sometimes sensitive topic an enjoyable read.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 The Brothers rated it liked it
Lucas is being bullied by Sid who is much bigger than him, so in turn he bullies ants, who he is much larger than. The ants have enough and shrink him and set him at hard labor for all his misdeeds. In the end, they come to respect and like each other.

Good illustrations.
Chelsea Bashore
Oct 15, 2011 Chelsea Bashore rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I read this with my little brother and he loved it :)
Kate Hastings
Grades K-3. Lucus becomes a bully (to ants) when he is bullied by an older child. Good book to use with bullies who might be taking their aggression/frustration out on younger/smaller classmates.
Dolly
Jul 05, 2008 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with kids
Shelves: childrens, 2006
I didn't think our girls would like this book, but they love it!
Page
Aug 04, 2008 Page rated it really liked it
Shelves: logans-books
We've had some trouble with our 4 year old bullying his little brother and this seemed to give him something to think about.
Carolyn
Jan 06, 2008 Carolyn rated it it was ok
AR 3.2 -- 0.5
Stacie Graham
Dec 04, 2010 Stacie Graham rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Funny and fanatical book about bullies. Interesting to see the life of an ant and how they view humans or "bullies". Good classroom tool if bullying is present.
Michelle
Oct 23, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
We enjoyed this book a lot. We would talk about how cool it would be if you could go into an ant hill. They work too hard so we wouldn't stay long!:)
Shannon Clark
Nov 29, 2011 Shannon Clark rated it it was amazing
Cute story-I was glad that Sid the bully was shrunk at the end!
Abby Rose
A little boy gets bullyed by a neighborhood bully named Sid and wants to bully someone to so he decides to bully the ants. I like this book. I totally recommend reading it to 1,2,3 and 4 graders!
Scott Bemisdarfer
Oct 02, 2012 Scott Bemisdarfer rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to discuss bullying and conflict. My four year old thinks this book is mean and doesn't like how the ants are treated.
Sally Staples
Apr 17, 2012 Sally Staples rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
I read this book to my kindergarten class. They really enjoyed the illustrations. It is about bullying which led into a good lesson about how to be a good friend.
Mike B
Oct 03, 2016 Mike B rated it did not like it
wow someone knew someone to get this 6 page picture book made into a movie
Jenny
Apr 07, 2008 Jenny rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Kindergarten and first graders
Cute story about a young boy taking his frustrations out on ants. The queen ant gets back at him and teaches him a valuable lesson.
Suz
Apr 24, 2013 Suz rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-kid-lit
Good story to show that bullying others just because you are bullied is not a good choice.
Frank
May 04, 2009 Frank rated it really liked it
Frank was totally fascinated by this book, and read it many times by himself in addition to all the times he had me read it to him.
A
Lucas learns a lesson about bullying when he is pulled into the ant hole he has been tormenting.
Courtney
Aug 01, 2012 Courtney rated it liked it
Great book about bullying.
stephoncarroll
stephoncarroll rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2009
  • This Is the Dream
  • Mrs. Chicken and the Hungry Crocodile
  • Q Is for Duck: An Alphabet Guessing Game
  • There's Nothing to Do on Mars
  • A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue: Helping Kids Learn the Difference Between Tattling and Telling
  • Over in the Garden