Watson's Afghan Adventure - How Sherlock Holmes' Dr.Watson Became an Army Doctor

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The good doctor explains to Sherlock Holmes how he chose to become an army doctor, served with the 5th Northumberland Fusiliers and how a treasure map brought him to the battle of Maiwand and on to 221B Baker Street.
Published (first published January 4th 2011)

Philip K.
This is the only Sherlockian book I know of by this author. It is Watson’s own tale of his experiences in Afghanistan. The narrative is a very realistic exposition of a British Doctor’s life during the Second Afghan War. I am not sure of the details of the campaigns involved, but the presentation is an accurate and intelligent view of what Watson would have seen and experienced.

The Watson presented here is very much the Watson who wrote the Canonical tales. He is inherently good and caring but...more
Rowan MacBean
At the most basic level, I liked this story. But it was very slow-paced, heavy on military stuff (obviously), full of character names with little to no actual character attached to them, and in desperate need of a competent copyeditor. I mean, honestly, if you're going to write something with a lot of horses in it, it's a good idea to know the difference between "reigns" and "reins."
Els
I think if you're a die hard fan of Sherlock and Watson then this is an okay read but it's a lot of "data" to put it mildly to get through. I felt like I was reading a text book rather than a story. Quick read though and simple plot so you'll be done it in an afternoon.
Stefano
Not as good as promised. Watson's voice,always so good when it comes to describe Holmes' exploit, sounds a tad flat in this tale where he's telling of himself.
Charles Emecz
Wonderful read. Detailed and pacy and of course featuring one of my favourite characters in Watson - what more could you ask for.
Jim
A very enjoyable Holmes story that believably fills in the details of Watson's life prior to teaming with Holmes.
Glenn Golaszewski
Glenn Golaszewski marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Kyah
Kyah marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Mariam Ussama
Mariam Ussama marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Donna Duvall
Donna Duvall marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Brandi
Brandi marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Jean-Christophe
Jean-Christophe marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Greens
Greens marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Anaida Ferrer
Anaida Ferrer marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Mandy
Mandy marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
Helen Kalavrou
Helen Kalavrou marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
Kathy Hale
Kathy Hale marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2013
Brooke
Brooke added it
Aug 29, 2013
Shaun
Shaun marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Sherlock Holmes and the Irish Rebels The Many Watsons Sherlock Holmes and the Black Widower Sherlock Holmes and the Mystery of the Boer Wagon Holmes and Watson - The War Years