Start by marking “Journey to the Ants: A Story of Scientific Exploration” as Want to Read:
Journey to the Ants: A Story of Scientific Exploration

Journey to the Ants: A Story of Scientific Exploration

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  280 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Hailed as "a masterpiece" by Scientific American and as "the greatest of all entomology books" by Science, Bert Holldobler and Edward O. Wilson's monumental treatise The Ants also was praised in the popular press and won a Pulitzer Prize. This overwhelming success attests to a fact long known and deeply felt by the authors: the infinite fascination of their tiny subjects. ...more
Published July 21st 1998 by Belknap Press (first published March 1st 1996)

Dеnnis
You'll learn a lot from this extremely interesting book. But first - couple of quotes.

- It can be said that while human societies send their young men to war, weaver-ant societies send their old ladies.

- If ants had nuclear weapons, they would probably end the world in a week.

In this book however you'll not only learn about the art of ant war, like:
* Home turf matters - majority of battles are won on fields where future victors' droppings prevail.
* They seal defenders in their nests, spraying th
Adam
Journey to the Ants is THE indispensable and, as far as I know unparalleled book for myrmecophiles. Wilson's and Holldobler's prose is exceedingly clear, untechnical, and personal. Their passion for the realities of ant biology and ethology (as complemented by the isolated scientific knowledge thereof) makes every page alive. There is a LOT of really really cool stuff in this book.

Reading about the complexity and interesting permutations of ant behavior made me realize how little human justifica
Huyen
I was reading this article on superorganism on the internet the other day and saw Bert Holldobler and found out he wrote a 1000-page Pulitzer-winning tome on ants. That’s pretty impressive and gives me enough excuse to read this random book. Also my time in Australia made me fascinated by these tiny, apparently mindless creatures running about and organizing extremely efficient societies and evolutionary machines. And this is definitely a wonderful and exciting book that anyone remotely interest ...more
Andrej Karpathy
Journey to the Ants paints a very interesting picture of an ant colony as an intricate super-organism in which individual ants are only small, dispensable, fairly mechanical and easily replaceable walking batteries of exocrine glands that sense their world primarily through array of chemical words, touch, sound, and very poor vision in some cases. The fascinating image I take away from this book is that the colony is the individual, and every ant is like a protein flowing through the veins of th ...more
Juan Hidalgo
Pocas veces se concede el premio Pulitzer al autor de un libro de divulgación científica y los artífices de este son una de esas raras excepciones. El libro está descatalogado desde hace años y me costó Dios y ayuda conseguir un ejemplar de segunda mano en papel, que pude localizar finalmente en una librería de Jaén y comprar a través de Internet. Su lectura es fascinante, amena, instructiva. Sus contenidos sorprendentes y maravillosos, a poco que te guste la naturaleza y que te apasione la vida ...more
nathaniel
Ants are really, really strange--but strangely familiar. For instance, the decomposing body of a dead ant emits a chemical that prompts other ants to carry the body to the colony garbage heap. If you put that chemical on a living ant, other ants treat it like a corpse, and drag it to the garbage heap over and over again. I can relate to that. The NY Giants have been dragging me to the garbage heap for about twenty five years.
Reza Wahadj
Beyond imagination, stunning the degree of social complexity achieved by such small brains.
However, the real catch is the author's passion about their subject.
I would recommend that everyone read at least part of this book
Karen
Hell yeah!! Journey to the motherfuckin ANTS!!
J.T.
This book is an exploration into all aspects of ant life, written for general readers. Holldobler and Wilson, who wrote the massive scientific reference volume, The Ants, felt that there was also a demand for a less formal book about ants that ordinary readers might enjoy reading from cover-to-cover. In this book, they describe not only the lives of ants and ant colonies, but also how their own interests in ants developed. The book covers such topics as the dominance of ants, the life and death ...more
Jamie
Very interesting. Like all other forms of life, ants are fascinating. I learned a lot about: the diversity of ants; what makes colonial life (eusociality) so powerful (along with some of its drawbacks); why eusociality may have evolved in the first place (and about when that evolution took place); that among professional biologists there are naturalists and non-naturalists; and many, many other tidbits.

What I didn't like so much was the writing style. For example, too much time was wasted on say
Susan Keller
I am sure my science teachers did the best they could with the textbooks they add. But, oh boy! If I had had this book in high school, I might be a biologist today. Besides having some lines that made me laugh out loud, "Journey" was endlessly fascinating and added to the respect I have for the relentless parades of ants that invaded the house all last summer.
Maryanne
Journey to the Ants 06172007 Bert Hölldobler and E. O. Wilson
Journey to the Ants 12063010 by Bert Holldobler & Edward O. Wilson
Great book reread!!!
I picked this up at the library in order to prepare for a presentation I had to give on army ants. I planned on just skimming the sections covering army ants, but ended up getting sucked into it. Ants are oddly fascinating little creatures. I got so into it I actually read it by flood light in my friends drive way while they worked on a plumbing issue. I kept reading portions aloud to them, but I don't think they found the ants as intriguing as I did. I did appreciate having read the book when I ...more
Plucino
"A popularized account of a 1991 Pulitzer-winning encyclopedia"

After the mastodontic, hard-going and Pulitzer-winning "The Ants", Hölldobler and Wilson had put together a shorter, manageable and lavishly illustrated volume, "Journey to the Ants".
Here, they explore the most interesting aspects of the lives of ants (and of the people who study them, known as myrmecologists).
Some of the covered topics are: evolution, communication, symbionts, parasites and predators.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Skylinebal
I first purchased this book when Tom was in 7th grade and was fascinated by ants (and spent time in the driveway with a magnifying glass burning some..) The writing is wonderful. The biology of ants is fantastical. Nonfiction is always a slow read for me- a few pages each night. I liked how the authors organized the chapters on themes and then gave multiple examples using ant species from diverse habitats. E.O. Wilson is my academic hero--he is the ultimate natural historian.
Jonathan
It's simply beyond belief how complex, varied and sophisticated these little social beasts are, and the authors do a splendid job describing not only the ants themselves but also how the research is carried out, both in the field and in the lab. I'm sure I'm going to hurt myself because I now walk around the kibbutz with my eyes fixed firmly on the ground, looking for ants. It will change your life. Read this book!
Mlindsey
Jun 12, 2008 Mlindsey rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mlindsey by: Mike Laus
Absolutely stunning the degree of social complexity achieved by such small brains. Definitely made me consider altruism and conflict in terms of genetics and social survival. Just amazing. Seems like I'd be smarter and more productive given how much larger my brain is, compared to these guys...
Jeremy
This book is a fantastic introduction to the world of ants. Co-authored by the famous E.O. Wilson, the passion for these tiny social insects is palpable and contagious. A great read for anyone interested in eusociality, evolutionary biology, the hive mind, or just ants.
Jen
Awesome, awesome, awesome book. Great book to flip through and look at pictures, grab random facts from when you're bored. It helps that I really, really love ants.

It should be noted that this book is a summary of all the best bits of their much more detailed book, The Ants.
Bernie
This is a great book, even if you don't care about ants. It is all you wanted to know (perhaps more) about ants, but the real catch is the author's passion about their subject. I would recommend that everyone read at least part of this book
Ethan
Jan 06, 2009 Ethan marked it as to-read
By the guys who won the noble prize for "The Ants" and the follow-up "The Superorganism"

Remember - By sheer weight - there is more Ant then Human !!!!
Hal Brodsky
Science for the multitudes at its best. This book made me want to grab a magnifying glass and spend the summer on my belly.
Ghostneuron
Like the ant world, as if they are human, a beautiful piece of art work on biology, evolution and society organization...
Jenny
If you've ever bent down, watched an ant nest and wondered what goes on inside...this is the book for you.
Pat
Fascinating! A well written and nicely illustrated lay person's introduction to ants.
Joe
Sep 09, 2008 Joe marked it as to-read
Maybe this will help me finally understand exactly what those ants are telling me to do.
Eric
Everything you ever wondered about ants and so much more. Check out his TED talk as well.
Meg
I never knew that ants were as fascinating as this book makes them seem.
T Hauser
fascinating read for anyone interested in insects and their behavior.
Marissa
One hell of a fine book on ants, naturalism, and anecdotes about research.
  • Naturalist
  • Adventures among Ants: A Global Safari with a Cast of Trillions
  • Wandering Through Winter: A Naturalist's Record of a 20,000-Mile Journey Through the North American Winter
  • The Problem of Slavery in Western Culture
  • Children of Crisis: Selections from the Pulitzer Prize-winning five-volume Children of Crisis series
  • Ashes to Ashes: America's Hundred-Year Cigarette War, the Public Health, and the Unabashed Triumph of Philip Morris
  • So Human an Animal: How We are Shaped by Surroundings and Events
  • Move Your Shadow: South Africa, Black and White
  • And Their Children After Them: The Legacy of Let Us Now Praise Famous Men: James Agee, Walker Evans, and the Rise and Fall of Cotton in the South
  • Ants at Work: How an Insect Society is Organized
  • Arab and Jew: Wounded Spirits in a Promised Land, Revised and Updated
  • Beautiful Swimmers: Watermen, Crabs and the Chesapeake Bay
  • The Haunted Land: Facing Europe's Ghosts After Communism
  • For Love of Insects
  • Gandhi's Truth: On the Origins of Militant Nonviolence
  • Rousseau and Revolution (The Story of Civilization, #10)
  • The Social Transformation of American Medicine: The Rise of a Sovereign Profession and the Making of a Vast Industry
  • Annals of the Former World
Bert Hölldobler is Foundation Professor at Arizona State University and the recipient of numerous awards, including the Pulitzer Prize and the Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prize. He lives in Arizona and Germany.
More about Bert Hölldobler...
The Ants The Superorganism: The Beauty, Elegance, and Strangeness of Insect Societies The Leafcutter Ants: Civilization by Instinct Tergal and sternal glands in ants. On the metapleural gland of ants.