Start by marking “Mr. Allbones' Ferrets” as Want to Read:
Mr. Allbones' Ferrets

Mr. Allbones' Ferrets

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A young man out poaching. A beautiful maiden in a mysterious house. A perilous voyage to distant islands.

A literary sensation from New Zealand, Mr. Allbones’ Ferrets introduces a stunning new writer to American readers. The winner of numerous literary awards in New Zealand, Fiona Farrell is poised to capture a whole new continent of fans with this latest book.

A chance enco
Published August 4th 2009 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published January 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Allbones' Ferrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Allbones' Ferrets

Rudy Castaneda Lopez
Mr. Allbones’ Ferrets is a highly engaging historical fantasy around the transport of ferrets to New Zealand in the Nineteenth Century to combat the infestation of rabbits transported from Europe twenty years previously.
The narrative is told through the personal experience of the protagonist, Walter Allbones, a labouring class young man who makes some of his living in the Lincolnshire countryside by poaching rabbits. An unexpected encounter with a portly landowner and his granddaughter on a d
Penny
3.5 is the real rating. I loved the writing. Fiona Farrell puts words together so well. She can create an atmosphere and voice within a short amount of sentences. The only way this could have been better would have been to hear her read it (an opportunity you must take if you get the chance). But as to did I like it? That's hard. The subject matter disgusts me. She's taken the facts of the matter, perhaps the stupidest thing ever to happen to New Zealand - man introducing weasels, ferrets and st ...more
Denise
Mr. Allbones' Ferrets is the story of what happens when a wealthy natural scientist, Pitford, and and a poor, but intelligent peasant, Allbones, join forces to help New Zealand conquer its rabbit problem. Enter Eugenia, Pitford's delicate, beautiful, but also curious and intelligent granddaughter. Then Fowler an enormous, evil bully gets in on the game.

Part natural history, part social commentary, part love story this slim novel manages to be many things at once. Its gruesome at times with graph
Maria M. Elmvang
Very different from what I had expected. The story of how ferrets were introduced to New Zealand fauna, the writing style and genre reminded me a lot more of the emigration novels written at the turn of the last century than anything recent.

I was a bit hesitant about the story to begin with, but have to admit it grew on me. I really liked Walter Allbones, and wanted to learn more about him. The other characters were nothing special though - not very well fleshed out at all, and stereotypes were
Tim
My review of Mr Allbones' Ferrets by Fiona Farrell has now appeared in Landfall Review Online:[return][return]http://landfallreviewonline.blogspot....
Jaime
Apparently a runaway hit in Australia, if the book jacket is to be believed. This was a good story and I enjoyed the natural history insight. Still, the plot lacked some depth.
Leah
Vegans: do not read! This is a vile book. I have yet to find another author who so luxuriates in the abuse and murder of animals.
Elizabeth
only got partway into this and would have been more interested after I was in NZ and really understood the role of ferrets there!
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Jesse Baer
Jesse Baer marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Kirsty Smith
Kirsty Smith is currently reading it
Jan 07, 2015
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Jerrod
Jerrod marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2013
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2013
Liv Jourdain
Liv Jourdain is currently reading it
Feb 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Fiona Farrell, ONZM (born 1947) is a New Zealand poet, fiction writer and playwright.
More about Fiona Farrell...
Book Book The Broken Book Limestone The Skinny Louie Book Six Clever Girls Who Became Famous Women