Start by marking “The Seven Spiritual Laws of Superheroes: Harnessing Our Power to Change the World” as Want to Read:

We live in a golden age of fictional superheroes, perhaps because we can agree on the attributes of so few real ones. Deepak Chopra's The Seven Spiritual Laws of Superheroes proposes that we have to apply the spiritual lessons of history and myth's superheroes to the looming problems of our deeply challenged era. Like other books by this bestselling author (The Seven Spiri

Audio CD
Published May 31st 2011 by Dreamscape Media (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Seven Spiritual Laws of Superheroes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seven Spiritual Laws of Superheroes

Gus Sanchez
Admittedly, Deepak Chopra's brand of New Age wisdom wears a bit thin on me. He may be on a quest to save us from ourselves, but he's a businessman at heart. Yeah, go ahead, call me cynical. Whatever.

I approached his comic-book inspired novel, however, with great interest. I was curious to see how his take on Eastern and Western philosophies would mesh with the possibilities of the superhero genre.

Instead, we're served up with a lot of the obvious: there's a superhero inside of us, waiting to sa
Chris Arnone
Eric
Well, my initial impression was this didn't have so much to do with superheros as an ideal person. I can see how he's adapted his seven spiritual laws to fit superheros, but they might not all apply to any one character, except maybe Superman.

The examples he gives in the beginning of the book to tie into superheros we know aren't very compelling, but toward the end he got me when he starts talking about Silver Surfer.

Norrin Radd becomes Silver Surfer by essentially surrendering his ego to a hig
Maria Carmo
Feb 07, 2012 Maria Carmo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.
I enjoyed this book. It is not so much that it brings anything radically new (Deepak Chopra is a prolific author who has shared many of these teaching in other books, namely in "The Seven Spiritual Laws ..." - but it is rather inspiring to do it now with these Super Heroes, because in all truth, we are (deep down) the Heroes we are waiting for. And until we reckon that and assume to practice that state of mind in our daily lives, we will not change, nor will the society we help tp form.

So, read
Sowmya
Oct 09, 2011 Sowmya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, non-fiction
Powerful stuff. He says in sentence what it sometimes takes a lifetime to grasp. He's the original 'Fringe' guy!

First Impression: Whoa! So this is what all the hype was about.

Perceived Influences: I haven't read many books by self styled spiritual gurus.Jiddu Krishnamurthy ? I wouldn't know. I do think his philosophies are similar to Paulo Coelho's although Paulo says it mostly through fiction.

Feel good factor: Depends what stage of awakening your 'soul' is in when you read this book (and I say
Joseph Young
Dec 17, 2014 Joseph Young rated it liked it
It's okay. Uses some examples of superheroes to show the overall struggle to change yourself and the world. Unfortunately, it seems rather light in terms of delving into the superheroes stories.
Jason Prasad
Jan 01, 2015 Jason Prasad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Firstly, the Chopra boys touch on a number of great lessons and laws to learn and live by. At times, it can get quite intense but they manage to keep the delivery fairly direct and with very handy action steps to take at the end of each chapter to help you put what you've learnt into place, and experience it for yourself.

Deeprak & his son Gotham did a great job in drawing the lines between all of the epic tales that have been told for both our own personal and collective development througho
Skye
Nov 29, 2014 Skye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. Have been reading quotes about Chopra all over the place- Tumblr especially. Decided to try a little of his books. Here Deepak Chopra discusses superheros with his son, Gotham Chopra. (Gotham means Gautama... equals Buddha. Wow right?)

The book has a very calming quality to it, and was very approachable. The superheroes picked were pretty prominent one so it's easy to understand (notably, Superhero, Iron Man, Spiderman..) I like how this is pitched for people that don't really
Angela
Jul 10, 2013 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is simply about "the power within." I was a comic fanatic for a big part of my youth, and I liked the connections Chopra makes comparing superheroes to how the average Joe thinks/operates. One of common themes throughout the chapters was control over oneself. He went into physiology as well, as is expected with Chopra. I would recommend to anyone who was/is a collector, and who often asks, "Why am I here?" "What is my purpose?"
Lindsay Goto
I think that this would have been better if it was separate book. I can understand wanting to connect superheroes to spiritual laws, but to raise them to a supreme ideal strips away their flaws and quirks. I think the problem is that I see super heroes differently than he does. I see them as deeply flawed individuals who are struggling against their nature, where that's what's beautiful and wonderful about them. To someone like me, reading about the spiritual laws of superheroes, it felt like Mr ...more
☪♥Magic Love Wonderland☯♥Love☮
Jun 05, 2016 ☪♥Magic Love Wonderland☯♥Love☮ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Spiritual Seekers
Recommended to ☪♥Magic Love Wonderland☯♥Love☮ by: My partner
Shelves: spirituality

The Seven Spiritual Laws of Superheroes is very straight-forward and gives you the basic knowledge of how we humans can be a superheroe ourselves.
I like how Deepak is explaining everything with one of the modern superheroes we know today. Very cool explained.
Elizabeth Olson
Chopra entertainingly illustrates connections between world myths, stories from world religions, and modern superhero stories. Chapters devoted to each of seven archetypal superheroes, each leading in to the next, serve as an easily understandable map and guide to personal spiritual growth.
Bernie Gourley
This is Deepak Chopra's attempt to capitalize on society’s fascination with superheroes. By “capitalize” I’m not necessarily saying to “make money off of,” but perhaps to “use to his advantage in conveying his lessons.” [I’ll leave it to the reader to make judgments about the former.] There are books on the physics of superheroes, the philosophy of superheroes, and the mythology of superheroes, so why shouldn’t there be a book on the spiritual life of superheroes?

The book uses both the superhero
Faith Tydings
I really wanted to love this book but, just like everything I've read by Deepak Chopra, I felt myself zoning out and barely paying attention. I was hopeful that this book would be geared more toward a younger, simpler person but he was still very wordy and way too smart for me. I tried! And, I liked the idea of this book...I'd really like to see a "Deepak Chopra for Dummies!" I may be able to follow that! Maybe if I keep trying...
Stefan Grieve
I found this book interesting, thought provoking and helpful, in regards to my greater understanding of theology and superhero mythology. It's a great way for people interested in either of those subjects to read into, although I guess you still have to know the basics because the terminology isn't always so basic, which for me, is a good thing.
C-chan
Mar 18, 2014 C-chan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I found the message of this book good, it was too based in sweeping generalizations that really didn't hit me as being specifically grounded in what it was claiming to be (superheroes).
Also, the use of religious figures as superheroes somewhat miffed me -- it's a terminology thing, but I do feel it was used incorrectly here.
Javier Maldonado
Creo que Deepak Chopra no entiende mucho ni de cómics ni de superhéroes y solo usa este libro como una excusa para hablar de los mismos temas que ya ha tratado en sus publicaciones anteriores. Una lástima porque me había hecho otras expectativas. Si te interesa la espiritualidad new age esto te podría gustar, de lo contrario, y si buscas un estudio realmente acabado sobre la figura del superhéroe, mejor busca otra cosa.
Sonnet
I did enjoy it and thought it had some good points. I did, however, want to smack him a couple times because he kept using the phrase "Greek Gods" even when the god he was referring to was Norse. I also didn't agree with other things he said about superheroes in comic books.
Linda Stefánsdóttir
At first, I found the continuous references to fictional superheroes a bit annoying, but once I got past that, there is a lot of wisdom in this book. I liked Deepak's writing, and may check out the seven spiritual laws of success.

Mwerevu
I give it 3.5 stars. The book had great lessons but what I would really like to read is The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success, where this book draws its inspiration from. I will definitely be trying out the meditation lessons shared here. I already meditate and I'm always looking for ways to enhance my experience of it.
Abbey
Mar 26, 2016 Abbey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not Bad

A really easy read.
More using superhero as a self-help idea than actual superheroes. Some details about the heroes were wrong but overall pretty good.
Nikki
Mar 30, 2015 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No idea why I borrowed from library, was actually looking for superhero books for my son... But I really enjoyed it. Opened my mind and heart... Reading on family vacation was especially helpful; forcing me to be 'being'.
Pamela
Apr 02, 2016 Pamela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't care for this at all. I love this author, but just could not get into the subject of this book.
Shanon
Sep 29, 2015 Shanon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio book the recording was fine the book itself is very obvious and not what I expected.
Murray Saylor
Feb 06, 2013 Murray Saylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deepak's and Gotham's collaboration worked for me and I enjoyed the content of the book. I am sure there are many of us growing up that wanted to be like our favourite superhero, defeating evil with a towel tied around my neck like a cape and running around the yard as if I were flying through the clouds.Overall, the book for me shared an important message, that we are all superheroes in some way. The differing factor is some of us don't realise our gifts and others use their powers for good or ...more
Clarissa
Jan 03, 2016 Clarissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for anyone who love comic books, or if they just like Deepak Chopra like I do.
Diego
Jun 16, 2014 Diego rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buen libro. Buenas enseñanzas. Aunque pareciera que Deepak Chopra hubiese leído muy poco los comics.
The Miracle Man
Very good book. I enjoyed it a lot. The way that the Chopras tie every thing together is amazing.
Carter
Oct 17, 2013 Carter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The concepts presented in this book are not new or innovative but rather represent spiritual teachings embodied in many different traditions including Hinduism and Buddhism. However, the way Deepak Chopra presents them, by explaining the concepts through superheroes, is innovative and interesting. I appreciated both the content and the delivery. I especially liked the sections at the end of each chapter that explain how one can develop these concepts/ways of thinking and being. This is a book on ...more
Daniela
Oct 30, 2015 Daniela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Corto, rápido y como siempre para inspirarte un poco en la vida diaria.
  • You Are Psychic!: The Free Soul Method
  • Secret Societies Handbook
  • Psyche and Symbol: A Selection from the Writings of C.G. Jung
  • Put on Your Crown: Life-Changing Moments on the Path to Queendom
  • The Mindful Woman: Gentle Practices for Restoring Calm, Finding Balance, and Opening Your Heart
  • True Perception: The Path of Dharma Art
  • Your Soul Contract Decoded: Discover the Spiritual Map of Your Life with Numerology
  • The Book of Chakras: Discover the Hidden Forces Within You
  • Sock and Glove: Creating Charming Softy Friends from Cast-Off Socks and Gloves
  • This Light in Oneself
  • Love Is a Story: A New Theory of Relationships
  • Spiritual Bypassing: When Spirituality Disconnects Us from What Really Matters
  • Breathing Space: Twelve Lessons for the Modern Woman
  • DailyOM: Inspirational Thoughts for a Happy, Healthy, and Fulfilling Day
  • Three Magic Words: Key to Power, Peace and Plenty: The Key to Power, Peace and Plenty
  • The Orphaned Adult: Understanding And Coping With Grief And Change After The Death Of Our Parents
  • Oneness
  • The Translucent Revolution: How People Just Like You Are Waking Up and Changing the World
Deepak Chopra, MD serves as the Founder and Chairman of The Chopra Foundation, and Co-Founder of the Chopra Center for Wellbeing.

As a global leader and pioneer in the field of mind-body medicine, Chopra transforms the way the world views physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and social wellness. Known as a prolific author of eighty books books with twenty-two New York Times best sellers in both
More about Deepak Chopra...

“In short, superheroes balance the forces of light and dark, rage and serenity, and the sacred and the profane within themselves and from it forge an identity that is powerful and purposeful.” 5 likes
“Contrary to some of our great myths, the universe was not created once upon a time, but rather is constantly being created and re-created.” 3 likes