Start by marking “Wanderings” as Want to Read:

Based upon the Bible, archaeological notebooks, and the writings of scribes, this work chronicles the six thousand years of Jewish history from Sumer, through medieval Christendom, to modern secular societies.
Mass Market Paperback, 576 pages
Published March 12th 1982 by Fawcett (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Wanderings, please sign up.

The Chosen by Chaim PotokMy Name Is Asher Lev by Chaim PotokDavita's Harp by Chaim PotokThe Promise by Chaim PotokThe Gift of Asher Lev by Chaim Potok
Best of Chaim Potok
7th out of 19 books — 26 voters
Maus I by Art SpiegelmanMaus II  by Art SpiegelmanThe Chosen by Chaim PotokThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankMy Name Is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok
Best Jewish Books
27th out of 187 books — 56 voters

More lists with this book...

May 08, 2010 Amanda rated it liked it
I upgraded to three stars out of sheer Jewish guilt. The kind my Grandmother would be proud of. But Potok's treatment of most aspects of culture, Jewish and non-Jewish, are at times not just a-historical, but disrespectful. I got through almost 450 pages of the book before the feeling that I was reading something a bit ridiculous hit critical mass -- Potok literally refuses to address Reform Judaism. He calls them "enlightened or assimilated Jews" in a condescending tone for 4 pages and then fun ...more
Al Johnson
Oct 12, 2015 Al Johnson rated it it was amazing
Chaim Potok never disappoints, and Wanderings is a fantastic example of his ability to blend narrative style, personal observation, and global perspective while maintaining the core understanding of the history of Jewish diaspora in a myriad of communities and times. Easily one of the more readable books on Diaspora, Potok brings perspective to each with continuity, balance, and a look at his own inner journey that many of us take via our own wanderlust through life and the globe.

Highly recommen
Gustav Dinsdag
Jan 10, 2015 Gustav Dinsdag rated it liked it
Shelves: jewish-history
I wasn 't exactly looking forward to picking up Wanderings. But I had a reason for giving it a try.

When I was growing up, the Jewish tragedy was often present in our family, all be it in a vague historic mist. Things had happened, unspeakable things. As a kid, the closest I came to these horrors was my grandfather showing me his yellow star and his ausweis with the big 'J' on it every time I visited him and my (non-jewish) grandmother.

I had a crazy uncle who was seeing nazis everywhere. The wo
Phenomenal. If you know a fair bit about history (which I do), and are not Jewish (and I'm not) it's very, very interesting to see it all presented through a slightly different lens. I know the bible pretty well (Xian, not Jewish, but that makes little difference BCE), and I know a good bit about ancient history thanks to museums (mostly the ROM, but some others as well), but I'm not used to thinking about them much in the context of each other, and this book is really good at that. It's also a ...more
Nov 18, 2011 Jimmy4reading rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It's the first history of the Jewish people I have read so I'm limited in my approach to authentication, I plan on reading Paul Johnson's History of the Jews next, so I'll see.
Over all it was expansive and imaginative. Potok's knack for understanding the motives of historical characters is a testament to his outstanding credentials as a novelist. I hate the phrase "they bring the characters to life," but, yeah he did. At least in a providential way considering the limitation
Apr 25, 2012 refgoddess rated it really liked it
A novelist's view of a complex religious history: combines bibilical scholarship, archeology, and imagination. Really interesting. Reading my Revised Standard Bible in conjunction.

5/8/10. Have been reading this in bits and pieces. As I read, I think of The Source, which I read one cold mini-term in the house at Knox, Manfred Mann's Earth Band providing the constant musical back drop. That's the main fictional book I've read about the history of Israel, and I'm just about at the point where Potok
Adam Glantz
Jan 07, 2016 Adam Glantz rated it it was amazing
A solid synthesis of Jewish history through the ages from a legendary Jewish-American author. Potok combines his writer's talent with erudition. I particularly appreciated his humility and honesty. He's not afraid to conjecture when the historical record becomes thin, but he shows all his cards in those instances. And though he's emotionally committed to his subject, he portrays Jewish history warts-and-all, giving critics of the Jews and Judaism the limelight when appropriate. His narrative pet ...more
Nov 15, 2008 Jeffrey rated it liked it
i enjoyed wanderings a great deal, although about 50% of the book could have been excised without seriously disrupting the parts i found really fascinating -- the patriarchal period, the transition from cult-based to Rabbinic Judaism, the shifting centers of Rabbinic thought from Jerusalem to Babylon, and then to Cordova in Muslim Spain, western Europe, and finally to eastern Europe and the United States. Also of interest (for me) was his tracing of the development of anti-Semitism, and how it b ...more
Jul 02, 2007 Ted rated it it was ok
have officially given up on this book, after reading over 100 pages. i loved potok's novels, and i was hoping that his history of the jews would hold my interest as well as his jewish fictions--but alas. his writing is middling: he does not write with the authority of an expert (which he admittedly is not), but still attempts to cover as much ground as he can (the book is huge, given the subject matter). potok's novelistic tendencies betray him here, leading to him speculate rather unhelpfully a ...more
Sep 22, 2012 Lee rated it really liked it
Being fascinated by Jewish history this book is over the top in details. It begins way before what I would consider recorded history (man's, not the Bible's) and brings out details I had no idea about. For example that the Jewish people were a very important part of Polish history and were well respected citizens there long before Hitler came into power. Deep deep deep, but so interesting. This is a great reference book but since I am not buying books right now - will have to wait to see if I bu ...more
David Abramowitz
Jan 08, 2014 David Abramowitz rated it really liked it
Very very thorough survey of Jewish history from before time of Abraham to time of publication. As Potok moves through the stories of the Bible it can read like a very nicely written list, with side trips to the various grand nations of the ancient world (Sumer, Egypt, etc.). Its tone is mainly journalistic with echoes of nostalgia and mourning. Potok conveys a deep sense of empathy for the Jews of prior ages, none more so than the generations of the 18th through 20th centuries.

TLDR: a great su
Dec 21, 2014 Kay rated it really liked it
This year were studying the Old Testament in Sunday school. I'm reading this to supplement my studies so it may take me awhile to get through this book. I'll be going through it slowly and it's over 400 pages long, to boot.its also a textbook size book. Well I didn't actually read every word, I used it as a reference book. It offered information that helped me get a better understanding of the Old Testament. We'll be studying the Old Testament again in four years, so I'll get back to it then.
David Stutzman
Sep 18, 2007 David Stutzman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
Written with a authors flow and narrative, this book covers the story of the Jews through the books of the Bible, through the Middle Ages and to the present. I found this book very helpful in understanding the scope and story of the Jewish history and it was poignant in illuminating the context of the Bible, particularly the Old Testament. I also found the chapters on the Middle Ages to be fascinating in regard to the Messianic figures that emerged out of the dire situation of the diaspora.
Oct 15, 2012 Guilie rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Knowing very little of Jewish history, I learned a lot and got answers to several questions I'd been mulling over for years. Where did the Jewish people come from, originally? How did this Palestinian mess happen, and why is peace such an impossible goal? I think, for Jews and non-Jews alike, this is a book that provides a great, real, and educated perspective on Judaism.
Sergio Conti
Oct 23, 2015 Sergio Conti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
libro storico scritto da un romanziere, cioè non da uno storico, e, forse, proprio per questo molto bello e scorrevole. Pur essendo molto lungo si legge bene. Certo i giudizi molte volte sono di parte e non dettati da una vera indagine storica. Ma gli elementi essenziali ci sono per dire che è un bel libro storico molto utile per conoscere la storia degli ebrei
Apr 01, 2008 Bethany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bethany by: My Pop
Brother Mead would be so proud - of my own volition I am learning history. This is a TEXT book, but what an aid to the Bible....a Jew's look at the historical context surrounding Old Testament happenings. Takes work to ingest and retain what I'm reading but about 20% of the way in I've decided it's well worth the effort.
Elizabeth Almeida
Aug 04, 2013 Elizabeth Almeida rated it really liked it
I love the subject and I was looking for a book that could me teach a little bit about Judaism. Sometimes it was a little boring but in general it is a great book for people who is looking for understanding the culture and what this people went thru for centuries.
May 18, 2015 Voss rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una storia dall'inizio ( le prime città-stato sumere) ad oggi (Stato di Israele) raccontata da un romanziere.
Molto affascinante, molto, dichiaratamente, di parte. Agile letture, riflessioni interessanti. Troppo materiale per poche pagine, ma decisamente riuscito.
Un bel libro.
Victoria Stevens
Aug 04, 2013 Victoria Stevens rated it it was amazing
I learned more of the history of the sacred writings and of the peoples of the Book from Chaim Potok's "Wanderings" than I have in churches and parochial schools and University. Thank you for this in-depth and loving review.
Jun 08, 2016 Steblg rated it it was ok
Sorry, not for me. As much as I liked 'Chosen', I disliked this one. Wanted to finish, really tried, but ...
Overly wordy, watered down and slow. Maybe 50 years ago this would've been OK. But now, I certainly have better books to read.
Jun 12, 2009 Lauren rated it it was ok
I haven't actually read this book completely through. I started it, but it was too boring. It is a non-ficion about the beginnings of the Jewish religion. It was interesting for a while, but then I got distracted by other books and so I quit reading it.
May 31, 2008 Stacy rated it really liked it
I read this book in conjunction with a religion class in college. Very well written. Definitely not a lighthearted easy read, but if you want some guts go ahead and pick it up. Follows the history of the Jews through the bible, interesting perspective.
Mark Singer
Jul 04, 2016 Mark Singer rated it it was ok
Shelves: history, religion, judaism
I'm on page 243 of 576 of Wanderings and its not an easy read. Very dry, and it does not flow. Time to put this book away until after the semester is over.
Nov 29, 2008 Nathan rated it it was amazing
A comprehensive and thorough compendium of the travels of the Jewish people across the centuries. A truly amazing work.
Jul 10, 2015 Patricia rated it really liked it
Shelves: old-rare
Thorough of the foundations of Judaeism and a historical view of Jewish through the ages. I read it several years ago and have never gotten it out of my mind.
Feb 19, 2008 Julie rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! If you want some serious/educational/heavy reading about the's beautiful, of course.
Steve Congdon
Sep 05, 2009 Steve Congdon rated it really liked it
do interesting to see how many desperate times the Jews have thought a Messiah finally surfaced only to be misled;fascinating study of their struggle and perseveranace
Aug 09, 2008 Patrick rated it liked it
This book has been menacing my shelves for a quarter of a century, now I'm finally reading it. Moderately compelling, but no competition with Barbara Tuchman or Karen Armstrong.
Jul 04, 2008 Jeniann rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
Very interesting book about the history of the Jews from a Jew; it gave me many insights into the Bible
Dec 28, 2011 Ben rated it liked it
Shelves: history, jewish
I struggled through the first half of the book... it seemed to me Mr. Potok was simply summarizing the bible. However, his account of Jewish history from about 1000 to the present is excellent.
Overall 1 6 Nov 13, 2008 03:51PM
  • Jews, God, and History
  • Back to the Sources
  • The Book of Jewish Values: A Day-by-Day Guide to Ethical Living
  • To Be A Jew: A Guide To Jewish Observance In Contemporary Life
  • World of Our Fathers: The Journey of the East European Jews to America and the Life They Found and Made
  • Major Trends in Jewish Mysticism
  • To Life: A Celebration of Jewish Being and Thinking
  • God in Search of Man: A Philosophy of Judaism
  • Messengers of God: Biblical Portraits and Legends
  • A History of the Jews (Perennial Library)
  • Arab and Jew: Wounded Spirits in a Promised Land
  • Essential Judaism: A Complete Guide to Beliefs, Customs & Rituals
  • Standing Again at Sinai: Judaism from a Feminist Perspective
  • The Jew in the Lotus
  • The Jewish Study Bible
  • Hasidic Tales of the Holocaust
  • God Is a Verb
  • Jews of Spain: A History of the Sephardic Experience
Herman Harold Potok, or Chaim Tzvi, was born in Buffalo, New York, to Polish immigrants. He received an Orthodox Jewish education. After reading Evelyn Waugh's novel Brideshead Revisited as a teenager, he decided to become a writer. He started writing fiction at the age of 16. At age 17 he made his first submission to the magazine The Atlantic Monthly. Although it wasn't published, he received a n ...more
More about Chaim Potok...