Start by marking “Self-Printed: The Sane Person's Guide to Self-Publishing: How to Use Digital Self-Publishing, Social Media and Common Sense to Start Earning A Living ... or Shouting 'Down With The Big Six!')” as Want to Read:
Self-Printed: The Sane Person's Guide to Self-Publishing: How to Use Digital Self-Publishing, Social Media and Common Sense  to Start Earning A Living ... or Shouting 'Down With The Big Six!')

4.62 of 5 stars 4.62  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Self-Printed: The Sane Person's Guide to Self-Publishing - How To Use Digital Publishing, Social Media and Common Sense To Start Earning a Living as a Writer Through POD Paperbacks and E-books (And Do It Without Saying "Gatekeepers" or Shouting "Down With The Big Six!") Do you think that no one has the right to stand between you and your published writer dreams? That the ...more
Published April 29th 2011 by CreateSpace (first published April 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Self-Printed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Self-Printed

Self-Publishing In the Eye of the Storm by Karl WigginsWrite! Stop Waiting, Start Writing. A Step-By-Step Guide to T... by Cathy PreslandThe 7-Step Guide to Authorpreneurship by Rochelle CarterViral-Marketing Professor by Nylus StantonHow to Publish and Market AudioBooks by Shelley Hitz
Self Publishing Success
10th out of 12 books — 8 voters
Indie Author Survival Guide by Susan Kaye QuinnSelf-Publishing In the Eye of the Storm by Karl WigginsIndie Authors Naked by Loren KleinmanIndie & Small Press Book Marketing by William HertlingThe Self-Publishing Roadmap by Lois   Hoffman
Self-Publishing
14th out of 44 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

S. Saboviec
When I give something 5 stars, it means that it's something that changed my life and gave me a different perspective. I reserve the elusive 5 stars for books like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which I read when I was young and impressionable, or We Need to Talk About Kevin, which made me bawl when I wasn't pregnant. I gave this book 5 stars. That means that if you want to self-publish, you have to read this book. I might make it required reading for everyone who submits a request for a revie ...more
R.m. Nicholls
I have found this book so helpful. It is now dog-eared, covered in post-it flags and pencil notes. Also the spine is a bit broken from my putting a heavy weight on it to keep it open while formatting my book for kindle. I don't normally treat books this way - only the ones I truly love! I am referring back to it at the moment and have no doubt that I'll refer to it again and again.

I love Catherine Ryan Howard's tone of voice, which is friendly and reassuring. I also like the healthy dose of rea
Amelia
I wanted to love this book, but I just didn't. I wound up skimming most of it. The author is extremely opinionated, and in some cases I agreed with her opinions. Other times, not so much.
The good points:
1. Catherine Ryan Howard is funny as heck. There were some laugh-out-loud moments, an uncommon find in how-to books.
2. The author covers publicity and marketing much better than most of the other how-to-self-publish books I've read.
The bad:
1. The book is too long. At least twice, the author men
Ryan J Slattery
Self-Printed is a step-by-step how-to on self-publishing both online (KDP and Smashwords) and physically.

While the step-by-step part is, I'm sure, super helpful, I skimmed those parts and bookmarked them for when I actually "get to that point." The marketing aspect of this book was what I read with most of my interest, and it gives a lot of useful information.

How to use Goodreads giveaways for maximum visibility was particularly interesting to me. I also started a blog because of this book. I'm
Joël Linger
The second book I'm reviewing in a short while of a writer I recently met. Well, I met and interviewed Geoffrey Robertson QC. As for Catherine, I can only say that I was present at a seminar where she was speaking. Nevertheless I did very much like this book.

It's very informative, exactly what I needed and the only thing I needed on this subject. She very kindly supplies a variation of other books and blogs you could visit but for me this isn't necessary. The seminar plus this book is more than
Brmaycock
They say that 'On Writing' is the Bible of writers. I would argue that there (for Irish readers anyway) is a holy trinity-three MUST READ books. The first, yes, is 'On Writing,' the second is The Writer and artist's yearbook, the third is Catherine Ryan Howard's Self Printed. I cannot recommend this book enough. It gives in depth detail on the nuts and bots of the self publishing process(though I think even if you weren't self publishing, this would be invaluable), telling you exactly how to put ...more
Jim Gibson
I'm moving from writing books for traditional publishers, as I have in the past, to epublishing, and my habit is to read widely to educate myself about any new project. This book is, frankly, one of the best for two simple reasons.

One. She's done it. Recently. I'm appalled and somewhat shocked at the number of 'experts' who really haven't published much, but for Catherine Howard, it's an ongoing process. She's doing it as she writes about it. So she knows what she's talking about. That's good.
Darryl Pendergrass
Catherine, in her book 'Self-Printed', provides solid advice to aspiring authors and independent publishers. The lessons she shares from her experience paralleled my personal experience closely. I just had to learn the harder way because I was unaware of her book at the time I worked on my own. I recommend that those aspiring to publish independently first read this book. You will minimize your headaches and get a big picture view along with some details for delivering a successful product.

In th
Sheena Lambert
I have this 2nd edition as an ebook (doesn't seem to be listed...) so I am going to review it briefly here.
Catherine Ryan Howard is like a mecca for all self-pub wanabies. We should all turn to Cork a couple of times a day and venerate. Her blog is always informative, and her tweets are fun and useful.
So no surprises that her book comes highly recommended. No one else that I know of has put together such a comprehensive how-to of getting one's own book published in such an entertaining fashion.
P.C. Zick
This book had been on my kindle for a weeks. Two days ago, I finally opened the book to see if it was one that would help me. I had no intention of reading it because I was simply going to organize all my self-publishing help books. Instead, I found myself engrossed in the advice (once I became used to the author's sense of humor, which can be a distraction at times). I began incorporating some of the advice immediately especially about Wordpress. I learned about things that have puzzled me in m ...more
Adam Henig
In this new era of publishing, the major houses fear their business models are nearing extinction, eclipsed by the self-publishing industry. Catherine Ryan Howard, the author of Self-Printed: The Sane Person’s Guide to Self-Publishing (2nd Edition), calls it, "self-printing."

The stigma of being an author who finances the publishing of his or her book has all but ceased to exist, according to Howard, a commercially successful self-published author. Self-Printed is a must-have for any would-be wri
Lorna
I bought this book after stumbling across the author's site and devouring the info there with increased interest. I found it to be a welcome dose of no-nonsense advice, covering the often daunting spectrum of information that a person needs in order to successfully self-publish/print.

Howard covers the editing process (yes, you need one, even if you think you don't), the murky world of vile, amateurish covers, e-book formatting, paperback publishing, pricing, Amazon, US tax issues, and much more.
Demelza Carlton
I stumbled across this book (like most marketing books) and figured I'd take a look at the beginning. Catherine's style and no-nonsense approach as she published her first book in the same way I chose to made it automatically of interest to me, so I bought the whole book. After all, if her Createspace, Smashwords and Amazon experience was yielding her higher sales than mine, I wanted to know what she was doing right that I wasn't.

Now, she doesn't answer all the questions I had as clearly as I'd
David Roberts
The book I read to research this post was Self Published by Catherine Ryan Howard which is an excellent book which I bought from kindle. Catherine has written several other books some of which are reviewed at http://oldscratbag.com. One of her books in particular called Mousetrapped which is about her experiences working at Disneyworld in Orlando, Florida is a really good book which has been quite popular and this book is about her experiences trying to sell that book & ebook. She suggests i ...more
Caroline Mitchell
Nov 17, 2013 Caroline Mitchell rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in self publishing and writing
Shelves: writing
I stumbled across this book while searching for writing blogs online and I'm so glad I did. I immediately clicked with Catherine's writing style as her sense of humour, which is pretty akin in mine. (Being a fellow Irish woman I get it!). I also have an insane love of coffee and Catherine is someone I'd really like to share a hazelnut latte with. The practical advice in the book is invaluable. It did not all apply to me as I'm well on my way in my self publishing journey as my book is due out ve ...more
Mina Lobo
Howard packs a lot of useful, possibly little-known info (to an author striking out on her own for the first time) (such as myself) into this book, painstakingly culled from her own experiences in self-publishing. As with her fabulous blog, her voice here is crisp, authoritative, and humorous - when a gal can successfully make me giggle as she's plodding through the tedious steps of e-book formatting, I gotta give her props. Though I disagree with her take on the Blogger.com platform and the ter ...more
Caroline Frechette
The BEST book on self-publishing and online book marketing out there. If you have to buy just one book on the subject, make it this one! It is FANTASTIC! It was actually hard to put down, and if you've ever read a non-fiction marketing and instructional book, you know that means that the writing was great. It was funny, compelling, and incredibly practical, without offering any magic formula. Every self-publisher should read this, and I would add that every micro-press should read it too, as wel ...more
Sumiko Saulson
Catherine Ryan Howard livens up what would otherwise be a dull, technical discussion of the basics of self-publishing with her considerable humor. I enjoyed her wit and wisdom when reading her blog, which is what inspired me to purchase her book. Her advice is sound and well rounded. I highly recommend this book.
Linda Parkinson-Hardman
This book is brilliant and it gave me so many great ideas and suggestions that I could apply and adapt to my own work too. In fact I wouldn't have found goodreads.com if it hadn't been for Catherine's book. I'd highly recommend it to anyone thinking about getting started on the whole self publishing / self printing journey.

As someone who has been down the self same road several times over the years and who has made all the mistakes and then some, it would have been great to have had it to hand
Jillianne Hamilton
I kind of wish I purchased the paperback version of this book instead of the ebook because then I'd be able to highlight all of the things. But I'll just have to have the ebook open while I venture into indie publishing. Catherine's book covers everything involved in the publishing process- cover, template, ebook conversion, book keeping, marketing and more. This is no 30-page booklet- this is a hefty how-to manual. I'll definitely be going back to this bad boy soon.
Donna Callea
Entertaining as well as informative

Catherine Ryan Howard is very funny. She's also very frank and opinionated. Which is good. If nothing else, her how to guide will discourage those who must be discouraged from publishing "stinky poo." It's full of valuable, practical information and lots of laughs.
Sheena Lambert
This is THE definitive book on self-publishing. It's the most practical and useful guide to the business of getting your book out there. Can't recommend highly enough if you are interested in self-publishing or want to learn how to market your traditionally published book online.
Lena Goldfinch
This review is for the 2nd edition, just released:

Self-Printed is both funny and so useful. (This and Let's Get Digital by David Gaughran are two must-reads for any author considering self-publishing, whether new material or re-issuing an out-of-print title.) There's a level of down-to-earth realism and practicality here, without the taint of "Big 6" cynicism or delusional, get-rich-quick promises. Just your average girl being levelheaded & realistic (and funny!), while sharing her own succe
Ben Hodson
I found a wealth of information about the in's and out's of self-publishing based on Catherine's real world experience. This takes you step by step, showing you how to build an author platform, get your book printed in both digital and paper formats, and how to use social media to extend your reach.

Highly recommended for authors trying to navigate the waters of self-publishing. My only hesitation in giving 5 stars is Catherine's very direct and sometimes a bit over-the-top tone as she speaks to
Eric
I found Catherine Ryan Howard from a promotion she did for her book "Backpacked". She has a personable style and wry wit mixed with a little self-deprecating humor.
"Self-printed" is written in the same easy style and is packed with useful information. She takes information that could be dry as dust and breathes life into her words and makes it engaging and interesting. I had the feeling we were chatting over a cup of coffee (or several cups of coffee).
I follow her on Twitter now and read her blo
Amanda
If you are thinking about self-publishing, read this. It has (oh joy!) details! So many details! What to click. What settings to use. How to make a copyright notice. Where to put things. Who to email. How to email them.

All that, and humor, too! Indispensable for the beginning self-printer. (And really, for many parts, for any author. Yes, if you're traditionally published the publisher will help with stuff. But you should be promoting too, and this book covers that really well.
Frankie Valente
Absolutely the Bible for anyone writer who is interested in self-publishing. Well written, easy to follow and hilarious too. Catherine does not take herself too seriously and as a result what she writes comes across with an honesty and directness that you don't always find in this type of book. It also makes you take a long hard look at your own work, which as she points out is essential if you want to achieve any kind of publishing success.
Tara Reed
Apr 16, 2014 Tara Reed rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Writers
I'd definitely recommend this as a top resource to anyone looking to publish their own novel. It's got well-laid out, practical advice with stern but disarming delivery.

Note: This is not a "How to publish any book anywhere on any platform a million different ways" book. It's about how Catherine Ryan Howard became a successful self-publisher - specifically what she used and what she learned throughout. And that's a good thing.
Alice Chau-Ginguene
LOVE THIS BOOK! She is right when she said it's the only 'sane' guide out there to tell you exactly what you have to do to self-published. The guide is so clear, it almost feels like she is holding your hand to guide you to click exactly which button on the screen.
Can't live without this book if you want to self-published.
Plus, did I mention she is hilarious?
I become her number one fan!
Rebecca Bradley
If you're even considering self publishing/printing, then this book is definitely for you. It cover all aspects, including social networks, writing, editing, covers, practically uploading your work to KDP and Smashwords, all the bits in between and all with a humorous dose of Catherine. It's a book I shall continue to go back through, even after reading it in full. Excellent.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Catherine Ryan Howard is a writer, blogger and enthusiastic coffee drinker from Cork, Ireland. She currently divides her time between the desk and the sofa.
More about Catherine Ryan Howard...
Backpacked: A Reluctant Trip Across Central America Mousetrapped Results Not Typical More Mousetrapped: A Little Bit More From That Year and A Bit The Best of Catherine, Caffeinated: Caffeine-Infused Self-Publishing Advice