Start by marking “Self-Printed: The Sane Person's Guide to Self-Publishing: How to Use Digital Self-Publishing, Social Media and Common Sense to Start Earning A Living ... or Shouting 'Down With The Big Six!')” as Want to Read:
Self-Printed: The Sane Person's Guide to Self-Publishing: How to Use Digital Self-Publishing, Social Media and Common Sense  to Start Earning A Living ... or Shouting 'Down With The Big Six!')

Self-Printed: The Sane Person's Guide to Self-Publishing - How To Use Digital Publishing, Social Media and Common Sense To Start Earning a Living as a Writer Through POD Paperbacks and E-books (And Do It Without Saying "Gatekeepers" or Shouting "Down With The Big Six!") Do you think that no one has the right to stand between you and your published writer dreams? That the ...more
Published April 29th 2011 by CreateSpace (first published April 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Self-Printed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Self-Printed

Self-Publishing In the Eye of the Storm by Karl WigginsNaked News for Indie Authors by Gisela HausmannHow to Publish and Market AudioBooks by Shelley HitzThe 7-Step Guide to Authorpreneurship by Rochelle CarterViral-Marketing Professor by Nylus Stanton
Self Publishing Success
12th out of 14 books — 11 voters
Self-Publishing In the Eye of the Storm by Karl Wiggins2003 - Thanks for the Vodka by HarpieIndie Author Survival Guide by Susan Kaye QuinnWrite. Publish. Repeat. by Sean PlattIndie Authors Naked by Loren Kleinman
Self-Publishing
24th out of 54 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

S.L. Saboviec
Nov 07, 2015 S.L. Saboviec rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All self-publishers
When I give something 5 stars, it means that it's something that changed my life and gave me a different perspective. I reserve the elusive 5 stars for books like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which I read when I was young and impressionable, or We Need to Talk About Kevin, which made me bawl when I wasn't pregnant. I gave this book 5 stars. That means that if you want to self-publish, you have to read this book. I might make it required reading for everyone who submits a request for a revie ...more
R.m. Nicholls
Jan 21, 2014 R.m. Nicholls rated it it was amazing
I have found this book so helpful. It is now dog-eared, covered in post-it flags and pencil notes. Also the spine is a bit broken from my putting a heavy weight on it to keep it open while formatting my book for kindle. I don't normally treat books this way - only the ones I truly love! I am referring back to it at the moment and have no doubt that I'll refer to it again and again.

I love Catherine Ryan Howard's tone of voice, which is friendly and reassuring. I also like the healthy dose of rea
Roewoof
Oct 20, 2015 Roewoof rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So let's start about what this book is: This book is a guide and inside look at what it means to self publish. This is not a book on how to write, what to write, what sells, what doesn't sell, and it's not a book that shits on traditional publishing. Howard makes it very clear that this guide is for authors that want to self publish and also follow more traditional avenues of publishing.

As we all know, this interests me. ( Shameless plug: And I am a Goodreads author: Rodopi Sisamis )

One of the
Amelia
Dec 05, 2014 Amelia rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
I wanted to love this book, but I just didn't. I wound up skimming most of it. The author is extremely opinionated, and in some cases I agreed with her opinions. Other times, not so much.
The good points:
1. Catherine Ryan Howard is funny as heck. There were some laugh-out-loud moments, an uncommon find in how-to books.
2. The author covers publicity and marketing much better than most of the other how-to-self-publish books I've read.
The bad:
1. The book is too long. At least twice, the author men
Sarina Langer
Oct 31, 2015 Sarina Langer rated it it was amazing
As with so many books these days I came across this one in my library. The only difference being that this time, I was actively searching for a book on how to self-publish. Since we don’t have many books on the subject this one stood out rather easily so I took it out, read the whole thing and went on to buy my own (updated) copy.

If you’re a writer and you want to self-publish your book, this is the guide for you. It’s informative, covers everything you need and it’s funny. She has a brilliant s
Ryan Slattery
Feb 09, 2015 Ryan Slattery rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marketing
Self-Printed is a step-by-step how-to on self-publishing both online (KDP and Smashwords) and physically.

While the step-by-step part is, I'm sure, super helpful, I skimmed those parts and bookmarked them for when I actually "get to that point." The marketing aspect of this book was what I read with most of my interest, and it gives a lot of useful information.

How to use Goodreads giveaways for maximum visibility was particularly interesting to me. I also started a blog because of this book. I'm
Joël Linger
Feb 11, 2015 Joël Linger rated it really liked it
The second book I'm reviewing in a short while of a writer I recently met. Well, I met and interviewed Geoffrey Robertson QC. As for Catherine, I can only say that I was present at a seminar where she was speaking. Nevertheless I did very much like this book.

It's very informative, exactly what I needed and the only thing I needed on this subject. She very kindly supplies a variation of other books and blogs you could visit but for me this isn't necessary. The seminar plus this book is more than
B.R. Maycock
May 25, 2015 B.R. Maycock rated it it was amazing
They say that 'On Writing' is the Bible of writers. I would argue that there (for Irish readers anyway) is a holy trinity-three MUST READ books. The first, yes, is 'On Writing,' the second is The Writer and artist's yearbook, the third is Catherine Ryan Howard's Self Printed. I cannot recommend this book enough. It gives in depth detail on the nuts and bots of the self publishing process(though I think even if you weren't self publishing, this would be invaluable), telling you exactly how to put ...more
Jim Gibson
Jul 11, 2012 Jim Gibson rated it it was amazing
I'm moving from writing books for traditional publishers, as I have in the past, to epublishing, and my habit is to read widely to educate myself about any new project. This book is, frankly, one of the best for two simple reasons.

One. She's done it. Recently. I'm appalled and somewhat shocked at the number of 'experts' who really haven't published much, but for Catherine Howard, it's an ongoing process. She's doing it as she writes about it. So she knows what she's talking about. That's good.
Darryl Pendergrass
May 08, 2013 Darryl Pendergrass rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: publishing
Catherine, in her book 'Self-Printed', provides solid advice to aspiring authors and independent publishers. The lessons she shares from her experience paralleled my personal experience closely. I just had to learn the harder way because I was unaware of her book at the time I worked on my own. I recommend that those aspiring to publish independently first read this book. You will minimize your headaches and get a big picture view along with some details for delivering a successful product.

In th
Sheena Lambert
Oct 21, 2012 Sheena Lambert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have this 2nd edition as an ebook (doesn't seem to be listed...) so I am going to review it briefly here.
Catherine Ryan Howard is like a mecca for all self-pub wanabies. We should all turn to Cork a couple of times a day and venerate. Her blog is always informative, and her tweets are fun and useful.
So no surprises that her book comes highly recommended. No one else that I know of has put together such a comprehensive how-to of getting one's own book published in such an entertaining fashion.
P.C. Zick
Feb 11, 2013 P.C. Zick rated it really liked it
This book had been on my kindle for a weeks. Two days ago, I finally opened the book to see if it was one that would help me. I had no intention of reading it because I was simply going to organize all my self-publishing help books. Instead, I found myself engrossed in the advice (once I became used to the author's sense of humor, which can be a distraction at times). I began incorporating some of the advice immediately especially about Wordpress. I learned about things that have puzzled me in m ...more
Adam Henig
Dec 09, 2013 Adam Henig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this new era of publishing, the major houses fear their business models are nearing extinction, eclipsed by the self-publishing industry. Catherine Ryan Howard, the author of Self-Printed: The Sane Person’s Guide to Self-Publishing (2nd Edition), calls it, "self-printing."

The stigma of being an author who finances the publishing of his or her book has all but ceased to exist, according to Howard, a commercially successful self-published author. Self-Printed is a must-have for any would-be wri
Lorna
Jan 12, 2014 Lorna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book after stumbling across the author's site and devouring the info there with increased interest. I found it to be a welcome dose of no-nonsense advice, covering the often daunting spectrum of information that a person needs in order to successfully self-publish/print.

Howard covers the editing process (yes, you need one, even if you think you don't), the murky world of vile, amateurish covers, e-book formatting, paperback publishing, pricing, Amazon, US tax issues, and much more.
Demelza Carlton
Oct 08, 2013 Demelza Carlton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I stumbled across this book (like most marketing books) and figured I'd take a look at the beginning. Catherine's style and no-nonsense approach as she published her first book in the same way I chose to made it automatically of interest to me, so I bought the whole book. After all, if her Createspace, Smashwords and Amazon experience was yielding her higher sales than mine, I wanted to know what she was doing right that I wasn't.

Now, she doesn't answer all the questions I had as clearly as I'd
David Roberts
Apr 21, 2013 David Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book I read to research this post was Self Published by Catherine Ryan Howard which is an excellent book which I bought from kindle. Catherine has written several other books some of which are reviewed at http://oldscratbag.com. One of her books in particular called Mousetrapped which is about her experiences working at Disneyworld in Orlando, Florida is a really good book which has been quite popular and this book is about her experiences trying to sell that book & ebook. She suggests i ...more
Caroline Mitchell
Nov 17, 2013 Caroline Mitchell rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in self publishing and writing
Shelves: writing
I stumbled across this book while searching for writing blogs online and I'm so glad I did. I immediately clicked with Catherine's writing style as her sense of humour, which is pretty akin in mine. (Being a fellow Irish woman I get it!). I also have an insane love of coffee and Catherine is someone I'd really like to share a hazelnut latte with. The practical advice in the book is invaluable. It did not all apply to me as I'm well on my way in my self publishing journey as my book is due out ve ...more
Aidan Reid
Mar 09, 2016 Aidan Reid rated it it was amazing
This was my bible for self-publishing my debut novel Pathfinders.

I had been a lurker on Catherine's blog for a long time and decided to pay for the book after hoovering up much of the free content on her site. I bought the 3rd edition and it helped me navigate the murky waters of self-publishing and bring my novel from draft to available on the World's Biggest Bookshelf that is Amazon. Highly recommended and at over 100,000 words, well worth the investment.
Nicola
Jun 14, 2015 Nicola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Catherine Ryan Howard makes for a friendly guide into the confusing world of self-publishing. The fact that this book started life as a series of blog posts does mean that it's occasionally repetitive, but it also makes it an amusing and "easy" read.

I cannot attest to how well this book will set you up for self-publishing your own work ('cause I have not done that yet), but I can tell you it made me 100% less stressed/scared about the whole process.
Mina Lobo
Feb 03, 2013 Mina Lobo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Howard packs a lot of useful, possibly little-known info (to an author striking out on her own for the first time) (such as myself) into this book, painstakingly culled from her own experiences in self-publishing. As with her fabulous blog, her voice here is crisp, authoritative, and humorous - when a gal can successfully make me giggle as she's plodding through the tedious steps of e-book formatting, I gotta give her props. Though I disagree with her take on the Blogger.com platform and the ter ...more
Caroline Frechette
Jan 18, 2014 Caroline Frechette rated it it was amazing
The BEST book on self-publishing and online book marketing out there. If you have to buy just one book on the subject, make it this one! It is FANTASTIC! It was actually hard to put down, and if you've ever read a non-fiction marketing and instructional book, you know that means that the writing was great. It was funny, compelling, and incredibly practical, without offering any magic formula. Every self-publisher should read this, and I would add that every micro-press should read it too, as wel ...more
Sumiko Saulson
Jun 20, 2014 Sumiko Saulson rated it it was amazing
Catherine Ryan Howard livens up what would otherwise be a dull, technical discussion of the basics of self-publishing with her considerable humor. I enjoyed her wit and wisdom when reading her blog, which is what inspired me to purchase her book. Her advice is sound and well rounded. I highly recommend this book.
Linda Parkinson-Hardman
Apr 20, 2012 Linda Parkinson-Hardman rated it it was amazing
This book is brilliant and it gave me so many great ideas and suggestions that I could apply and adapt to my own work too. In fact I wouldn't have found goodreads.com if it hadn't been for Catherine's book. I'd highly recommend it to anyone thinking about getting started on the whole self publishing / self printing journey.

As someone who has been down the self same road several times over the years and who has made all the mistakes and then some, it would have been great to have had it to hand
Jillianne Hamilton
Jun 15, 2014 Jillianne Hamilton rated it it was amazing
I kind of wish I purchased the paperback version of this book instead of the ebook because then I'd be able to highlight all of the things. But I'll just have to have the ebook open while I venture into indie publishing. Catherine's book covers everything involved in the publishing process- cover, template, ebook conversion, book keeping, marketing and more. This is no 30-page booklet- this is a hefty how-to manual. I'll definitely be going back to this bad boy soon.
Donna Callea
Oct 29, 2014 Donna Callea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining as well as informative

Catherine Ryan Howard is very funny. She's also very frank and opinionated. Which is good. If nothing else, her how to guide will discourage those who must be discouraged from publishing "stinky poo." It's full of valuable, practical information and lots of laughs.
Mike Blaylock
Jul 15, 2016 Mike Blaylock rated it really liked it
A very strong book, particularly since it doesn't enhance the debate between self-published and traditionally-published. It acts as an instruction manual, not propaganda for either side. Some excellent tips and it taught me some new things about publishing and how much easier, yet harder it is than I realized. Great tool for writers wanting to try something exciting, yet challenging.
Sheena Lambert
Oct 27, 2014 Sheena Lambert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is THE definitive book on self-publishing. It's the most practical and useful guide to the business of getting your book out there. Can't recommend highly enough if you are interested in self-publishing or want to learn how to market your traditionally published book online.
Lena Goldfinch
This review is for the 2nd edition, just released:

Self-Printed is both funny and so useful. (This and Let's Get Digital by David Gaughran are two must-reads for any author considering self-publishing, whether new material or re-issuing an out-of-print title.) There's a level of down-to-earth realism and practicality here, without the taint of "Big 6" cynicism or delusional, get-rich-quick promises. Just your average girl being levelheaded & realistic (and funny!), while sharing her own succe
Ben Hodson
Sep 18, 2013 Ben Hodson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found a wealth of information about the in's and out's of self-publishing based on Catherine's real world experience. This takes you step by step, showing you how to build an author platform, get your book printed in both digital and paper formats, and how to use social media to extend your reach.

Highly recommended for authors trying to navigate the waters of self-publishing. My only hesitation in giving 5 stars is Catherine's very direct and sometimes a bit over-the-top tone as she speaks to
Eric
Mar 24, 2013 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found Catherine Ryan Howard from a promotion she did for her book "Backpacked". She has a personable style and wry wit mixed with a little self-deprecating humor.
"Self-printed" is written in the same easy style and is packed with useful information. She takes information that could be dry as dust and breathes life into her words and makes it engaging and interesting. I had the feeling we were chatting over a cup of coffee (or several cups of coffee).
I follow her on Twitter now and read her blo
  • Let's Get Visible: How To Get Noticed And Sell More Books (Let's Get Digital, #2)
  • How To Market A Book
  • Emotion Amplifiers
  • The Career Novelist: A Literary Agent Offers Strategies for Success
  • furtl
  • How I Made Over $42,000 in 1 Month Selling My Kindle eBooks
  • Wild Girls, Wild Nights: True Lesbian Sex Stories
  • Other Systems
  • Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel: How to Knock 'em Dead with Style
  • The Difficult Sister (Emma Golden Mysteries, #2)
  • It's Elementary
  • 7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life: How to Rapidly Relieve Back and Neck Pain
  • Bone Dressing: The Dreaming (Book 2)
  • I Have Cancer. And I've Never Felt Better!
  • Poetry Matters: Writing a Poem from the Inside Out
  • Gateway to Reality
  • Camelot & Vine
  • Mother Earth
Catherine Ryan Howard was born in Cork, Ireland, in 1982. Prior to writing full-time, Catherine worked as a campsite courier in France and a front desk agent in Walt Disney World, Florida, and most recently was a social media marketer for a major publisher. She is currently studying for a BA in English at Trinity College Dublin.
More about Catherine Ryan Howard...