Start by marking “Touchpoints: Creating Powerful Leadership Connections in the Smallest of Moments” as Want to Read:

A fresh, effective, and enduring way to lead--starting with your next interaction Most leaders feel the inevitable interruptions in their jam-packed days are troublesome. But in TouchPoints, Conant and Norgaard argue that these--and every point of contact with other people--are overlooked opportunities for leaders to increase their impact and promote their organization's s ...more
Published April 12th 2011 by Jossey-Bass (first published April 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Touchpoints, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Touchpoints

Gini
Jun 08, 2012 Gini rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

The concept of the TouchPoint is a very simple yet powerful way to look at all of our interactions as opportunities rather than interruptions to our day. At first, the book was slow moving for me and I found myself thinking that it was written for CEOs of extremely large companies, but then about half way through that changed. The leadership models and new fresh ways of thinking and looking at situations presented really intrigued me. And I enjoyed all the questions in the book that completely
Lisa
Jan 18, 2016 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I'm going with 3.5 for this one. There are some really helpful tips in here on how to be a better communicator and coworker. How to treat people with respect and understanding,m. I personally think all office workers could learn a thing or two from this concept. Especially people with bigger titles... Us peasants hate when you talk down to us.
Heather
Jan 23, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
This is a GREAT book about leadership that acknowledges that we will each lead differently. We should! We need to be authentic and true to ourselves, but Conant and Norgaard offer a few simple ideas that I think are very profound and can help everyone in their role as a leader.

Leaders should be tough-minded (on results), but tender-hearted (on people) and really think about every “touchpoint” or interaction as an opportunity to lead. Each of these small moments add up and make you the leader tha
Soundview Executive Book Summaries
TouchPoints: Creating Powerful Leadership Connections in the Smallest of Moments by Douglas Conant and Mette Norgaard was chosen by Soundview Executive Book Summaries as one of the Top 30 Business Books of 2011.

THE SOUNDVIEW REVIEW:

Ask any leader to list a few of the irritants of his or her job and one would likely hear about frequent interruptions as a source of frustrations. Former CEO of Campbell Soup, Douglas Conant, along with consultant and co-author Mette Norgaard, understands that many o
Gene Babon
Jan 28, 2012 Gene Babon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Your people feel tired and unappreciated. Apply TouchPoints.

A TouchPoint takes place any time two or more people get together to deal with an issue and get something done. TouchPoint leadership is about being present in the moment and feeling confident that you can deal with whatever happens in a way that is helpful to others -- and by extension, to yourself and your organization.

If you feel like the information age has morphed into the interruption age, take heart. Simply view an interruption a
Nate
Generous line spacing, deep printing margins, pages in between sections, unnecessary clip art - ah yes, the same tricks you need to turn a paper in during middle school are also helpful when authoring a book on management as an ex-CEO. I heard Mr. Conant on Bloomberg and based on his pitch it seemed interesting enough, so I opted to borrow it from the library. The book is not bad, but the pitch I heard on Bloomberg was kind of like when you see a trailer for a movie and then realize half way thr ...more
Greg
Jun 02, 2012 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the premise of the book. I actually thought I would get more out of it than I did but I did find a few good gems. I particularly liked chapter three which was about creating your own personal leadership model. I plan to sit with that chapter next week and see what I come up with. Reading as I was, waiting for an eye doctor appointment, I was filled with ideas and excitement but nowhere to capture them. The final chapter on TouchPoints was pretty decent and had some useful tips. The rest ...more
Tiffani
Jan 06, 2013 Tiffani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read to inspire organizational leaders to better engage and build relationships with other employees. The authors' foundational commitments to inquiry, reflection, and practice are explained in a straightforward manner while leaving the reader with points to ponder and improve upon. Overall I would recommend this book to anyone seeking to expand their effectiveness with others in order to foster meaningful work relationships.
Rachel
Nov 25, 2011 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A book about how the little interactions that we think of as interruptions in our workday are actually where a lot of the real work occurs. Which is nice in theory, but there is not a lot of practical "this is how you implement this" in the book. I was also completely unimpressed by the examples the authors did give. Everyone is part of a multi-national, Fortune 500, multi-million dollar company, but I supervise 15 people and just couldn't relate.
Eduardo
I like TouchPoints and it's a good book in overall.

It's brief and straighfowarded and, have some powerful insights (specially up to first half of the book).

The positive side of the book is on the key questions the author provides as excercises of self assessment.

Anyway, it's for sure not a masterpiece and, specially if you're already a veteran reader of leadership books, you'll find lots of redundat stuff here.

Robert B
Practical leadership advice from the former CEO of Campbell Soup and a leadership consultant. Argues that leaders should listen carefully, help others frame their issues, create a sense of urgency, and engender confidence about the next step. There's no particular gimmick but perhaps that's the point – just common sense advice.
Melina
Feb 20, 2016 Melina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read on the topic of leadership. The recurring theme is making time for touchpoints and making them impactful. Conant's research and stories shared by other leaders emphasize this point over and over. He also spends time addressing different management styles and how to mold oneself's style to better suit the needs of their team and organization.
Chris
Aug 04, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that teaches how a leader can and must use both the heart and mind to leverage on the day-to-day interactions with each person that he meets or that comes to him from his organization to drive the Organization forward. Each touchpoint matters...
Sep 09, 2011 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not exactly scintillating prose here, but a competent, easy-to-read, well-organized construct for showing leadership in small as well as large moments. Aimed at the business person, but useful on other levels as well.
Birthe Hjortlund
Spændende letlæst bog, som jeg er i gang med efter at have hørt et inspirerende oplæg af forfatteren. Hjælp med din nysgerrighed andre til at forsætte den rette bevægelse
Shila
Very informative.
Krista
Nov 22, 2013 Krista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read, this book was about using your head, heart, and hands when interacting with coworkers and those around you on a daily basis.
Beth Gardner
Not bad - definitely some helpful information and perspectives
This was a good, solid book, but there was really nothing in it that seemed new to me. However, it was well-organized and short- just how I like 'em.
Booksandball
May 16, 2015 Booksandball rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Touch points is great

Great insights into what it takes to really connect with others not just to understand them better, but to also build more effective relationships with them.
Peta
Peta rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2013
Josh
Josh rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2012
Victor
Victor rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2015
Kristin
Kristin rated it liked it
May 23, 2015
Brenda
Brenda rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2012
Clinton Dix
Clinton Dix rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2015
Paul Alberti
Paul Alberti rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2015
Polina Moskovaya
Polina Moskovaya rated it it was ok
Jun 16, 2014
Annalee Hall
Annalee Hall rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2013
John
John rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Escape Velocity: Free Your Company's Future from the Pull of the Past
  • Disciplined Dreaming: A Proven System to Drive Breakthrough Creativity
  • Rainmaking Conversations: Influence, Persuade, and Sell in Any Situation
  • Unusually Excellent: The Necessary Nine Skills Required for the Practice of Great Leadership
  • Beyond Performance: How Great Organizations Build Ultimate Competitive Advantage
  • Ctrl Alt Delete: Reboot Your Business. Reboot Your Life. Your Future Depends on It.
  • The Black Mile (Soho Noir #1)
  • Harvard Business Review on What Makes a Leader
  • Real-Time Marketing & PR: How to Instantly Engage Your Market, Connect with Customers, and Create Products That Grow Your Business Now
  • The Drucker Lectures : Essential Lessons on Management, Society and Economy
  • Change the Culture, Change the Game: The Breakthrough Strategy for Energizing Your Organization and Creating Accountability for Results
  • Making Things Move: DIY Mechanisms for Inventors, Hobbyists, and Artists
  • Mentoring 101
  • Credibility: How Leaders Gain and Lose It, Why People Demand It
  • K.A.R.M.A
  • Dead End
  • Guns of Seneca 6 (Guns of Seneca 6, #1)
  • Reality-Based Leadership: Ditch the Drama, Restore Sanity to the Workplace, and Turn Excuses Into Results