Start by marking “Lawrence Of Arabia: The Authorized Biography of T.E. Lawrence” as Want to Read:
Lawrence Of Arabia: The Authorized Biography of T.E. Lawrence

Lawrence Of Arabia: The Authorized Biography of T.E. Lawrence

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The unabridged edition was selected by The New York Times as one of the six best nonfiction books of 1990. Now this critically acclaimed biography--abridged by the author--offers a portrait of the legendary modern-day knight, Arab revolt leader, British secret agent and World War I military genius. 32 pages of photographs.
Paperback, Abridged By The Author, 544 pages
Published April 1st 1992 by Collier Books (first published November 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Lawrence Of Arabia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lawrence Of Arabia

Into Thin Air by Jon KrakauerInto the Wild by Jon KrakauerThe Perfect Storm by Sebastian JungerWest with the Night by Beryl MarkhamIn the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick
Vicarious Thrills
35th out of 140 books — 71 voters
John Adams by David McCullough1776 by David McCulloughThe Guns of August by Barbara W. TuchmanTeam of Rivals by Doris Kearns GoodwinThe Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer
Best History Books
403rd out of 1,590 books — 1,480 voters

More lists with this book...

Stewart
T.E. Lawrence (1888-1935), best known as Lawrence of Arabia, was an enigmatic and perplexing man who undoubtedly was plagued with intermittent depression and, despite his fame, strong self-doubt. He had ample opportunity to gain fame and money but was indifferent to both. Jermey Wilson's 1989 biography, using letters to and from Lawrence and British Army documents until recently not available, provides an amazing amount of detail to this troubled soul and his unusual life.
Lawrence was an archa
Jim Good
Details the history of Lawrence of Arabia including his childhood, leading the Arab revolt against the Ottoman Empire, and his time in the air force following the war. The biography is exceedingly detailed, but does not draw any conclusions instead relying on the facts and letting the readers draw their own conclusions. Interesting details include Lawrence’s masochistic behavior (paying others to beat him up), his reclusive ness and unwillingness to use his fame following the war, and his insigh ...more
Debra J.
Very satisfying in -depth look at the real Lawrence of Arabia. An amazing man.
Clint
Pretty good, but too long, and the author thinks too highly of himself.
Laurence Burke
Those who only know T.E. Lawrence from the famous movie "Lawrence of Arabia" will find that there is much more to the man than his role in the Arab revolt against the Ottoman Empire during the First World War. Lawrence was establishing himself as an archaeologist in the years before the war and traveled in literary circles in the years following the war.

A blurb on the dust-jacket says, "This is Lawrence on a camel, not on a couch." That seems to sum this up nicely: Lawrence's actions are the cen
Marc
I'm glad I read it, but I caution those who wish to read the biography of their heros. Biographies remove the shiny nature of the hero adding patina where you wish there was polish.
Alton
The book has three parts. I read the first two parts from the original, nearly 700 pages of meticulous Middle East history and very little bio of the man. I finished by reading the last section from the abridged version. The author admitted his original should probably be considered more of a middle east history than a biography of Lawrence: every treaty, memo, letter, and military personality is quoted extensively. I also felt like it paraphrased Lawrence's own Seven Pillars of Wisdom book so f ...more
Izz
Author is a little dry for other biography's I've read. But a very interesting read.
Mike
A well put together biography of a great man.
A man who strived to not only serve his country, but to do this whilst respecting others. He had a great respect for the people of other nations. His courage and determination was only let down by actions of others.
A great true story of a great man ahead of his times, a few lessons for some even today.
If you are going to read about him, please choose this book.

Charlie Londono
BRILLIANT! The story, the legend, the writing style, all of it. No longer published, but can be found used. A must read for any history buff. One definitely gains a better understanding of how and why the Middle East is as screwed up as it is today. Had they only listened to Thomas Edward Lawrence, a.k.a. Lawrence of Arabia!
Aella
This is a book I have read twice before. If that doesn't tell you how much I love this one, I don't know what will! This isn't for everyone, it is a biography. But full of life.(lol)
Scooter Chick
One of the better books about Lawrence, by his official biographer. However, that also means that some very personal sides of his character are not revealed or explored.
Shahrun
Apr 17, 2012 Shahrun marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Tony Sacre
The movie made me read the book, the book inspired a portrait. One of my top five movies ever!The book was interesting but far to long!
Preston Malone
Great read. What a remarkable man Lawrence was - and Jeremy Wilson tells his story wonderfully.
Owen
My fav biography of Ned. An amazing and compelling person.
Arjun
Interested in learning about what we're doing in Iraq...
Victoria
Good comprehensive bio of a fascinating man.
Therese
Thought-provoking; a complex and admirable person, always struggling.
JOHN MCMANAMON
JOHN MCMANAMON marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Keith W
Keith W marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Kaplan
Kaplan marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Duncan Case
Duncan Case marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
  • A Prince of Our Disorder: The Life of T.E. Lawrence
  • Setting the Desert on Fire: T. E. Lawrence and Britain's Secret War in Arabia, 1916-1918
  • The Mint (Modern Classics)
  • Wellington, Volume I: The Years of the Sword
  • The Revolutionist
  • Knight's Cross: A Life of Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
  • Cromwell
  • Foreign Correspondent: A Memoir
  • Breaking News: A Stunning and Memorable Account of Reporting from Some of the Most Dangerous Places in the World
Minorities T.E. Lawrence: Catalog The Wizard of Gauze Internationalization and the Conservation of Canada's Boreal Ecosystems My Neighbor's Old Pictures