Spell Bound (Women of the Otherworld #12)

Spell Bound (Women of the Otherworld #12)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  8,910 ratings  ·  640 reviews
The #1 "New York Times" bestselling author sets the stage for a battle of epic proportions.
Savannah Levine is all grown up. As a witch endowed with an array of spells, she is also a force to be reckoned with. As a paranormal investigator she is finally coming into her own. But her last case tore a family apart, and Savannah swore she'd give up her powers to fix the mess s...more
Published July 1st 2011 by Plume Books

To ask other readers questions about Spell Bound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spell Bound

Tatiana
Just finished this very early ARC of Spell Bound and I truly hope it will be worked on some more. For now my thoughts are: this installment is rather messy and anticlimactic.

The novel starts with Savannah and Adam investigating the loss of Savannah's spell-casting powers and learning more about witch-hunters introduced in Waking The Witch. Eventually however all the trails lead to something huge, something that puts the whole supernatural community in danger.

The thing is, we never actually find...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)
I loved this book. Loved it so much, in fact, that it may be my very favorite Otherworld book of all time. Yes, I know that's a pretty bold statement. And not everyone will agree. After all, generally the best Otherworld books are Elena books and I'm the first person to say so. But what makes this book so fantastic is that even though Savannah is the narrator, it brings everyone together. Savannah, Adam, Paige, Lucas, Hope, Karl, Elena, Clay, Jeremy, Jamie, Benicio, Troy, Griffin, Sean, Bryce, K...more
Bookwormgirl
I hate Cliff Hangers.

That said, I did like this book. The pacing was good and action packed. Savannah as the narrator is sometimes annoying, but that is a major character trait of hers. The dialog between characters was snappy and engaging. While the story is intense, the sarcastic humor keeps it from becoming too dark.

I would have to classify this as more YA urban fantasy, unlike the other additions to Women of the Otherworld. This book and the previous book have been about Savannah coming of a...more
Rebecca
Really disappointed with this. I've read other books in the series and liked them. I was excited to see Savannah as the lead character here in "Spell bound" but this book was a mess.

It started off being about Savannah feeling guilty about whatever happened in the previous book, then some unknown entity stripped her of her witch powers, then there was some bit with her being targeted by a family of witch hunters, followed by her getting kidnapped by a group obsessed with exposing Supernaturals ....more
Sandy
SPELLBOUND (Women of the Otherworld #12) by Kelley Armstrong

ABOUT THE BOOK:

Savannah Levine is in terrible danger, and for once she's powerless to help herself. At the heartbreaking conclusion of Waking the Witch, Savannah swore that she would give up her powers if it would prevent further pain for a young orphan. Little did she know that someone would take her up on that promise.

And now, witch-hunting assassins, necromancers, half-demons, and rogue witches all seem to be after her. The threat...more
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under The Covers

I may have a girl crush on Savannah! This is the second book with her as the narrator, and I just love her! I love her personality, her spunk. She starts to do some growing up in this book. First of all, picking up right where Waking the Witch left off, she doesn't have any powers. And this is not the best time to be left without them as she is still dealing with a witch hunter.

But that is not the only threat her and Adam are facing in this book. Some of...more
Lisa Kessler
Wow I loved this book!!!

There is a supernatural war coming and this book just boiled it up to the edge... can't wait for the next book!!!

Not to mention Savannah and Adam finally... I won't spoil it... Great read! :)
If you've loved the Women of the Otherworld series up to this point, as I have, you will quite simply be amazed by Spell Bound. This book takes the series to unforeseen levels of danger, intrigue, action and romance. Everything that has come before culminates into something completely epic in Spell Bound, leading us to the final book in the series.

I've always loved the way Kelley Armstrong has rotated main characters in the Women of the Otherworld series, allowing readers to really get to know t...more
Suzan
Jan 31, 2013 Suzan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
I loved this installment! There was a lot more happening then the last book as plot progresses and events are set in motion for the big finale in the next book! Savannah does a lot more growing up in this book as well and is now making a conscious effort not to run when things get tough emotionally but to face up to the consequences of her actions and face her fears more.
The result is that towards the end I think Adam is looking at her in a different light then normal cause for once she's apolog...more
Margay
"Sexy, smart, and action-packed! Kelley Armstrong is truly one of the greats in this genre."
-Richelle Mead, author of the bestselling Vampire Academy series

"Kelley Armstrong's bewitching ability to entertain remains as strong as ever."
-www.alternativeworlds.com

"Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld goes beyond standard paranormal fiction . . . moving from one set of characters to another through the books, yet intertwining their stories to provide a rich background for the readers."
-San Franc...more
Kathy
Spell Bound is an entertaining addition to the Women of the Otherworld series. It had an eventful plot with appearances from characters from past books- my favorite character, Clay, shows up which made me very happy and he gets to use his werewolf muscles to save Savannah who has lost her magical powers.

There is a lot of Savannah and Adam- Savannah's gorgeous, half-demon, best friend, and love intrest. The romance fan in me wanted more sexual tension and well sex between Savannah and Adam but it...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Rating* 3.0
*Genre* Urban Fantasy

*Review*

Kelley Armstrong’s Spell Bound is the Twelfth installment in the Women of the Otherworld series. It picks up right where Waking the Witch left off with Savannah Levine somehow having lost her powers after wishing she could do something to help a little girl named Kayla. Obviously, you need to read Waking the Witch to understand what I’m referring to.

In Spell Bound, there's a group of supernaturals called Immortality questers, who feel it is time for them...more
Petula Darling
Wow - what a disappointment!
I usually give books from this series 4-5 stars, but this one was just terrible. The story sprawled out of control - there were too many characters in it and none got a decent storyline of their own (well Savannah got plenty of paper, but I wouldn't call her storyline a decent one since it was too preachy and she was too annoying). The supernatural world has gotten so vast and required so many explanations that the story didn't flow well. The Big Bad was a bit too big...more
Mel
I LOVED this book. A perfect mix of action, great characterization, lots of humor and some on-the-edge-of-your-seat moments.
Savannah had some lessons to learn in this book and she learned them the hard way. Death and destruction, lots of angst and a telling off by Clayton Danvers... the girl doesn't have it easy.

Spell Bound has a great plot which ties the last book to the overal series' arch, has great cameos of pretty much all of the Otherworld characters who each have a significant role to p...more
Louisa
Loved to reread this book, and everything that happened, from the witch hunters, to SLAM, and the dead demon expert who was told to summon Lucifer, and yeah, lots of traveling going on!

*First read March 14th 2012*
Great, great book, Savannah has some really tough times, and she grows through the book-being told to be mature helped, and yeah, lots of action, movement, and it was just a great book! Can't wait to read the 13th, called 13, and I think it's the last one in the series! Yep.
Jess
This book gets three stars for two reasons.

1) Sean. (I LOVE YOU, SEAN!!!!!)
2) Aaron and Cassandra flirting.

Otherwise, it's just a really exposition heavy book that I still don't entirely get the need for.
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

SPELL BOUND might have well been titled WOMEN OF THE OTHERWORLD: THE ALLSTARS EDITION because just about every main character from the series pops up. Elena and Clay, Paige and Lucas, Hope and Benicio, Jaime and Jeremy, and on and on…It’s a a fun flashback for fans of the series and it even inspired me to go back to some of the books I missed before.

As far as the story goes, SPELL BOUND picks up right on the heels of WAKING THE WITCH and for the first h...more

I love Kelley Armstrong and I love the Women of the Otherworld series.

This book was so good. It had me all teary by the end!

I have really grown to love Savannah (the narrator for this book). And I really really enjoyed Spell Bound.

My only small complaint is that I wish there had been more of Elena (probably my favorite Otherworld character).

But I loved how most of our favorite characters got to be in this book (Elena included). And I love love love Savannah and Adam's relationship. It is so swee...more
Spell Bound continues with the supernatural conflict that mostly began in Waking the Witch . Savannah, who loses her powers at the end of the previous book, becomes deeply involved in trying to figure out 1) how to get her powers back and 2) who this mysterious group is that's trying to collect supernaturals. One could argue a 3) to see if Adam, her longtime crush, likes her back.

Like Waking the Witch , this book is told from Savannah Levine's perspective.

Savannah does a lot of maturing in t...more
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
Spell Bound is book 12 in the Women of the Otherworld Series by Kelley Armstrong. I LOVED THIS BOOK! I loved it so much that I wanted to reread it as soon as I finished it. Savannah is the best character EVER! Elena was my favourite in WOTOW series until this book. I adore her so much. She's tough and vulnerable, she's powerful and (view spoiler)...more
Lindsey
I have been so out of touch with reading for the past year that it has been a struggle as of late to find a book that has captured my attention enough to read it. Kelley Armstrong has been a favorite author of mine for years and after reading Waking the Witch in August of 2010, I fell in love with the protagonist Savannah Levine. As a character I enjoy her feisty spirit and tenacity, which is balanced by a vulnerability instilled in her due to her chaotic past. I first became intrigued in her ch...more
Sara
Plot: 4 Stars
Every other chapter had this twist or that turn. Every time I thought I had figured something out, WHAM! a new twist had smacked me in the face. I've never read a book that made me feel like I was on a roller coaster until Spell Bound. It was non-stop action and mystery and danger and suspense around every corner. It was a wild ride, and I had a lot of fun reading it. Besides all of the shocking twists and turns, I really enjoyed how all of the characters came together. The mystery...more
Dck133
I really wanted to like this book, but so many things are just off for me. The story itself is good - it is very exciting and I could hardly put it down. Once you read the ending and realize that it is a huge cliffhanger I was so glad that i already had the next book so I could see what happens next. It is a whirlwind plot that takes you everywhere and you pretty much revisit every character from previous books.

So why did I rate it 3 stars? Because after you put the book down and start thinking...more
Marie
Alright, Kelley Armstrong, I love you and your writing, but this one was sort of a let down. It was one of the few out of this series I never really got into. I love Savannah, but I guess I expected more from her? It was very much "woe is me!" and everyone was like "GET OVER YOURSELF" and she was like "ALL MATURE NOWZ~"
Or at least that was the feeling I got, and I didn't like it, I really didn't. (Even if I appreciated Hope and her lovely protector being around -- did like that!).
The Savannah/Ad...more
Lisa
Spellbound continues on from Waking The Witch - literally the same night - so reading this straight after is actually pretty cool. I think both books could have been combined into one single volume without any loss (making the book longer, of course) and there are some nice scenes where you find out a bit more about the characters from other books - Elena and Clay, Jeremy, Jaime, and Cassandra to name but a few. The story moves smoothly along and it was hard to take breaks away from it.

The relat...more
Vernieda
+ the plot hangs together better than in the previous installment

+ I liked that the character conflict was based on Savannah being tested. She's always been a magical prodigy and has never had to work for it. As a result, her entire identity's been built up around this thing. So when her powers are taken away, she has a massive identity crisis. What is she without her powers? I like that.

+/- baby steps towards Savannah/Adam. And I do mean baby steps. Miniscule, tiny, teeny baby steps.

- There are...more
Liz
Women of the Otherworld is one of my favorite series, and this installment didn't leave me wanting. Spell Bound is a continuation of Waking the Witch and follows Savannah as she tries to regain her powers and locate the witch hunter who is attempting to kill her. Along the way Savannah is dealing with her feelings for Adam and encounters a conspiracy to out supernaturals to the regular population. The book touches base with many of the series regulars - Paige, Lucas, Clay, Elena, Jeremy, Jamie,...more
Paris
Sep 15, 2011 Paris marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
I was very disappointed when I started reading this book. I love the Otherworld series and I absolutely loved Waking the Witch and was excited to see that Spellbound started right where that book left off. Unfortunately, after 100 pages in, I just couldn't get excited about what was going on. So I skipped ahead to the last 30 pages...and even then I was disappointed. I had a difficult time finding those pages to be the exciting conclusion that I wanted. The end was abrupt and choppy and didn't l...more
Enjee
Thanks to NetGalley for an early review copy.
This book picks up right where Waking the Witch ended. Savannah has lost her powers and still has a witch hunter after her.
This is a YA book, whether the author intended that or not. Savannah does not seem like a 21 year old, rather more like a rebellious teen still making bad decisions.
The pace moves along quickly, however there is much moving around by car and plane and I sometimes wondered why the traveling was taking place...it wasn't always clea...more
Christina
This first "Savannah" was really good, this one not so much. While I enjoyed the book I was waiting for something to happen throughout the whole thing. It felt all over the place & didn't seem like there was a clear stroyline progression. Yea there was the bad guys & they were doing bad guys things but it was never clear where things were leading & then the book was just done. This is the first K. Armstrong book I have not been really happy with. Her storys are usually really good &...more
  • Death Magic (World of the Lupi, #8)
  • Kitty's Big Trouble (Kitty Norville, #9)
  • Night Huntress (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon, #5)
  • Darkness Rising (Dark Angels, #2)
  • A Fantasy Medley
  • Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead
  • Shady Lady (Corine Solomon, #3)
  • The Hour of Dust and Ashes (Charlie Madigan, #3)
  • Magic on the Line (Allie Beckstrom, #7)
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.2)
  • Unseen (Outcast Season, #3)
  • Spider’s Revenge (Elemental Assassin, #5)

Today, she continues to spin tales of ghosts and demons and werewolves, while safely locked a...more
More about Kelley Armstrong...
The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3) The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2) Bitten (Women of the Otherworld #1) The Gathering (Darkness Rising, #1)

“‎"If you want that kind of thing, call Nick. His advice is shit, but he really likes to give it.” 33 likes
“Stuffing people into boxes is for those who have issues about their own box.” 24 likes