Start by marking “Simplify Your Life with Kids: 1 Ways to Make Family Life Easier and More Fun” as Want to Read:
Simplify Your Life with Kids: 1 Ways to Make Family Life Easier and More Fun

Simplify Your Life with Kids: 1 Ways to Make Family Life Easier and More Fun

Simplify Your Life with Kids, first published in 1997, has sold over 250,000 copies. Here is the paperback edition of Elaine St. James's best-selling guide to making life with children easier, simpler, and happier.Everyone with children has experienced the frustrations of trying to juggle softball practice, PTA meetings, meals, laundry, and comforting a crying child with m ...more
Published March 1st 2000 by Andrews McMeel Publishing (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Simplify Your Life with Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simplify Your Life with Kids

Janene
Feb 04, 2008 Janene rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, help
Had a lot of great ideas, I don't remember this one being as "life-changing" as her first, but I agree with the emphasis on the simple joys of child/parent togetherness, and the reminder of what a fleeting time it is.

Was the author having a hard time trying to get to 100 items?...I became bored when it veered towards discipline, etc. Not that they were bad ideas, just not so much what I was looking for in this book.
Cher
Aug 03, 2012 Cher rated it liked it
not as good as the first book I read by this author. Here I was expecting actual tips on simplifying my life (with kids) instead I got a lesson on parenting which was not what I was looking for ... also the author's ideas of parenting don't necessarily Meld with my own views on the topic so ... eh? take it or leave it ... whatever ...
Kim
Mar 07, 2009 Kim rated it it was ok
Well. I bought this used at Bookman's, and the pages I read while browsing seemed pretty smart (esp. about how to wash kids' socks and not lose them or have to sort them). Much of it, though, as with many advice books, seemed either common sense or preachy/weird... but it was marginally interesting and helpful for the scattered gems.
Aimee
Jun 23, 2009 Aimee rated it liked it
Alot of the points in this book are self explanatory ...However I did enjoy reading it to get additional ideas and also to remind myself what can be improved, because I am in no way.... a perfect mom
Cary
Jan 06, 2009 Cary rated it it was amazing
I found this when my babies were 10 years old. I wish I had found it when my oldest was a newborn because she has some terrific ideas. I was able to incorporate many ideas of Elaine's into my family's life. For many years this is the gift I would give at baby showers especially first time moms!
Cathy
Jun 16, 2007 Cathy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teens and Adults
Shelves: fantasyfiction
What a great book! Another great fantasy series. I wonder why they made The Seeker a separate book instead of doing the entire series? It could be another Harry Potter. I love the scenery it invokes when reading: Cornwall and the sea. Oh to jump right in the book....wonderful.
Amy A.
Jul 12, 2010 Amy A. rated it liked it
Was pleasantly surprised to find that I already have taken on many of the habits and suggestions in this book in my own family, but it was still an interesting reference, and had some new ideas that I would like to implement.
Kylene
Aug 31, 2015 Kylene rated it liked it
This book was good. It has some helpful suggestions of how to have a better relationship with your kids. I learned a few things, but most of the other information was stuff I've already heard or already tried. Easy read, and I'm sure I'll use a few of her suggestions.
Sheri Rose
Feb 13, 2010 Sheri Rose rated it liked it
I have a hard time accepting advice from this author that doesn't have children at the time that she wrote it. However, there are methods that she mentions that we already practice. Not sure if that's good or bad. :-]
Jess Gill
Feb 25, 2012 Jess Gill rated it really liked it
i'd read another book by Elaine St. James, and found it useful, so i was interested to see how she applied her simplification strategies to parenting. i found this full of helpful tips - many common sense, but all compiled in one quick, easy-to-read book.
Cortney
Aug 04, 2007 Cortney rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
You can pick and choose what would really help simply your life. The sections are divided into different areas of our lives: money, house, job, etc. The chapters are short but give excellent ideas on how to make life more peaceful and simple...which I am all for!
Juliet Ezati
Dec 19, 2010 Juliet Ezati rated it it was ok
good
Janet
Mar 10, 2008 Janet rated it really liked it
Shelves: life, children
How to do less, and enjoy more. Worth the investment.
Vanessa
Jul 12, 2008 Vanessa rated it it was ok
The information in this book is somewhat interesting and helpful but the layout of the book bothered me. The first section of the book was most enjoyable and then I ended up skimming the rest.
Stephanie
Apr 16, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Great tips!
Melissa
Jan 25, 2008 Melissa rated it liked it
Very enlightening and helpful book... every mom needs one :-)
Heaether
Jan 04, 2011 Heaether rated it really liked it
this book is great for toddlers and up, but not so relevant for a mom-to-be but i will definitely read it again in the future.
Tommi
Feb 04, 2010 Tommi rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, parenting
It was more a parenting how-to guide than ways to simplify. They were all great ideasfor being a great parent but I didn't find any helpful suggestions for simplifying.
Shanda
May 19, 2009 Shanda rated it really liked it
It was interesting to see how many things we were already doing as a matter of survival with four kids, lol. I took lots of notes.
Amy
Aug 15, 2010 Amy rated it liked it
I'd say about 25% of the stuff in this book was helpful. Most of it is common sense, but it was nice to be reaffirmed, I guess.
Stacey
Oct 23, 2008 Stacey rated it liked it
Some good practical advice and a short read which I like when I am recieving advice.
Marti
Jul 13, 2011 Marti added it
Very dated in certain respects. The author has a bad habit of telling you what you MUST do, instead of simply offering suggestions. Did not enjoy.
Patty
Patty rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2009
Betsy
Betsy rated it it was ok
Feb 06, 2012
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2012
Dawn Rich
Dawn Rich rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2012
Adelle Sabornido
Adelle Sabornido rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2013
Kara
Kara rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2009
Sydney
Sydney rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2010
Neil Shelley
Neil Shelley rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Joy of Simple Living: Over 1,500 Simple Ways to Make Your Life Easy and Content-- At Home and At Work
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff with Your Family: Simple Ways to Keep Daily Responsibilities and Household Chaos from Taking Over Your Life
  • The Simple Living Handbook: Discover the Joy of a De-Cluttered Life
  • Dr. Montessori's Own Handbook
  • Epistemology: A Contemporary Introduction to the Theory of Knowledge
  • On Becoming Pre-Teen Wise: Parenting Your Child from 8-12 Years
  • The Simple Living Guide
  • The Challenging Child: Understanding, Raising, and Enjoying the Five ""Difficult"" Types of Children
  • Sterling's Gold: Wit and Wisdom of an Ad Man
  • Writings of Florence Scovel Shinn
  • Windows 7 For Dummies
  • Things I Wish I'd Known Sooner: Personal Discoveries of a Mother of Twelve
  • John Rosemond's New Parent Power!