Start by marking “Jake (The Cowboys, #1)” as Want to Read:
Jake (The Cowboys, #1)

Jake (The Cowboys #1)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  364 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The freedom of the range, the bawling of the longhorns, the lonesome night watch beneath a vast, starry sky--they got into a man's blood until he knew there was nothing better than the life of a cowboy...except the love of a good woman.

Isabelle

Born and bred in Savannah, Georgia, she was the kind of woman Jake Maxwell avoided at all cost. "Neat as a pin and stiff as starch,
Mass Market Paperback, 391 pages
Published April 1st 1999 by Leisure (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Jake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jake

Annie's Song by Catherine AndersonEyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold by Ellen O'ConnellComanche Moon by Catherine AndersonTexas Destiny by Lorraine HeathThe Texan's Wager by Jodi Thomas
Favorite Historical Western Romance Novels
83rd out of 395 books — 747 voters
Porter by David   MichaelFilthy Desire by Sebastian ExGabriel's Inferno by Sylvain ReynardGabriel's Rapture by Sylvain ReynardDesires Unleashed by Miles Hightower
Romances written by men
36th out of 138 books — 143 voters

More lists with this book...

Denise
Nice intro book to a 13 book series. I adore historical American westerns, so I am pretty sure I will continue with this series.

Jake came back from the civil war to find that most of his family ranch has been taken up by squatters who now legally own this land. To top it all off, he has to pay them for damages to their crops and property because of his cattle. He lost his father and brother to the war and his mother ran off when he was a child. He has women issues.

Isabelle is from a well to
Sabrina
I've read all the Cowboys series. I loved them all. I sent Leigh Greenwood an email asking when he'll publish the rest of the family, cause it was something like two years passed and there was no knew book for the next family member. I was thilled when he emailed me back and answered my question.
Crystal
loved this series!! can't wait to finish the rest of the books!
Abigail
¿Qué puedo decir? Me gusta tanto el autor y su estilo de escribir que no pude evitar seguirme con esta saga. No me gustó mucho los personajes de Isabelle y Jake. Ella era demasiado terca y él igual, nunca se ponían de acuerdo y te rematabas hojas y hojas con sus discusiones con soluciones tan sencillas.
Tampoco el hecho que se manejaran tantos personajes, 11 niños huefarnos con distintas personalidades y traumas que te dejaban ganas de saber más de ellos. Batallé bastante con saber quien eran qui
Yona
I've read about 50 pages and Isabelle is annoying me so much that I'm almost one step away from closing the book for good. From the middle to the end I read between the lines in order to finish it as soon as i can. Isabelle didn't got any better I don't how anyone in his right mind would want to be with her. She is stubborn and awfully annoying and she ruined the whole book...
Jaimey
Pretty good story but I found the heroine, Isabelle, incredibly annoying most of the time with her holier-than-thou airs and self-righteous posturing. Jake was a little dumb but I was fascinated with the orphans. Each and every one of them were very interesting characters.
Nancy
<3 Loved! This was the book that took me to a period in time that I love reading about. I've loved all the books in this Cowboy series and went out and got all in the Seven Bride series! I have read every book I've found by this author and have not been disappointed.
Greg
I enjoy westerns and romances. This one has both, but is different in that it is written by a man. Most western romance novels are written from a woman's perspective. The series has about ten books and they are all good.
Theadra
I loved it. I stayed up till 1:30 am reading it, on a work night. I can't wait till I can get the next book in the series.
Heidi
This was an excellent book. A great start to the series. However, the story started dwindling around Sean.
Kira
I haven't read a western in years. I enjoyed this one and will read the next one in the series.
Nikki
I've read almost all the Cowboys books. This one is by far the best.
Nancy
For a Weastern / Romance I thought it was pretty good.
Booklover
will read it later
Karen Breshers
great adventure
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Blue Falcon
Blue Falcon marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Ang
Ang marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Jennica
Jennica marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Beerchen
Beerchen marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Gladys Garcia
Gladys Garcia marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Elizabeth Fairbanks
Elizabeth Fairbanks marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Deborah Macias
Deborah Macias marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
  • The Texan's Touch (The McLain Series, #1)
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • Open Country (Blood Rose, #2)
  • Wild Sweet Wilderness (Missouri, #1)
  • A Rogue in Texas (Rogues in Texas, #1)
  • The Bridal Veil
  • A Reason to Live (Forrester Brothers, #1)
  • Mustang Wild (Wild, #1)
  • Cold Night, Warm Stranger
  • Golden Chances:  Romance from the Heart of America

The Cowboys (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Ward (The Cowboys, #2)
  • Buck (The Cowboys, #3)
  • Chet (The Cowboys, #4)
  • Sean (The Cowboys, #5)
  • Pete (The Cowboys, #6)
  • Drew (The Cowboys, #7)
  • Luke (The Cowboys, #8)
  • Matt (The Cowboys, #9)
  • The Mavericks (The Cowboys, #10)
  • A Texan's Honor (The Cowboys, #11)
Rose (Seven Brides, #1) Fern (Seven Brides, #2) Laurel (Seven Brides, #4) Violet (Seven Brides, #6) Lily (Seven Brides, #7)