Start by marking “Simplify Your Spiritual Life: Spiritual Disciplines for the Overwhelmed” as Want to Read:
Simplify Your Spiritual Life: Spiritual Disciplines for the Overwhelmed

Simplify Your Spiritual Life: Spiritual Disciplines for the Overwhelmed

Jesus faced incredible challenges and suffered agonizing trials, but there was simplicity in His relationship with His Father that we can emulate. And in that simplicity, we can realize our greatest fulfillment as believers.

If your Bible study seems tedious and your prayer life wearisome, stop and rediscover how rewarding the simple Christian life can be.
Published June 23rd 2003 by NavPress

To ask other readers questions about Simplify Your Spiritual Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simplify Your Spiritual Life

Mark Nenadov
Sep 21, 2012 Mark Nenadov rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
Having previously read and enjoyed Whitney's "Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life", I decided to read through this one. I expected a fair amount of repetition, and while there certainly was a fair deal of a common ground, I was pleased to find it quite a bit that is fresh and new as well.

Whitney shares great, practical advice. The advice is delivered in wonderfully short two page "chapter" segments that can be easily digested in a very short reading. There area lot of good tidbits here.
Joel Rockey
Jan 28, 2016 Joel Rockey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is divided into nice little "bite-sized" chapters. Each chapter gives a practical (gospel motivated) way to simplify your spiritual life. I have enjoyed all of Donald Whitney's books, and this one is no exception. There are high and low points, which can be expected when an author is tackling such a broad topic. However, the high points in this book are awesome! Recommended.
Kathy
Mar 01, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it
This is a great follow-up to Whiney's book on the spiritual disciplines. It not only helps us to simplify our spiritual life but also to prioritise it as well. I Don't know about others, but I find myself feeling overwhelmed by the idea of practicing all the disciplines. This book shows how to avoid that. It also helps in simplifying other areas of life. Prioritising and simplifying are essential if we want to accomplish what we were created for. This book is a great tool in helping us achieve t ...more
Eric
Mar 27, 2015 Eric rated it it was amazing
Excellent adaptation of Whitney's best-known book, Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life.

This breaks down the ideas of that book into short, easy-to-read chunks. Each "chapter" is no more than 2 pages and shouldn't take longer than 5 minutes to read. Great format to put the topics into application immediately.
Alan
Nov 09, 2009 Alan rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Alan by: Russell Moore
This is great book on Spiritual Disciplines. The title may sound light, but the content is not. The author takes many of the disciplines he discusses in his more comprehensive book "Spiritual Disciplines of the Christian Life" and puts them into bite sized, one or two page sections that can be read daily, or even weekly. For me, the reading on praying scripture was worth the price of the book.
Jan
Feb 11, 2009 Jan rated it it was ok
I went through this book as a daily devotion, taking one "chapter" per day. Much of the content is pretty obvious stuff, some good reminders, etc. Nothing earth-shattering. I found the journaling section really helpful, though, because I'm often stuck on "what" to put in my spiritual journal. The author provides some good prompts.
Natalya
Jul 11, 2012 Natalya rated it it was amazing
I didn't expect to like this, but it is fabulous. Full of insight and practical ways to grow your relationship with God. I was kind of turned off by the title especially the simplify part. However his version of simplify is getting rid of needles stuff and adding more prayer, bible reading and redirecting your focus.Awesome Stuff
Guy Lancour
May 08, 2013 Guy Lancour rated it it was amazing
One of the better books on spirituality. It is written in easily digested but powerful portions. He has taken the spiritual disciplines and connected the dots on how to not be overwhelmed but to simplify them in your life. Great book.
Matt Mason
Dec 07, 2012 Matt Mason rated it really liked it
Sound, simple, devotional, often very practical. This book is pretty unique in the range of things it's speaks to. It offers much help toward living life on purpose.
Jerid Krulish
Oct 29, 2012 Jerid Krulish rated it really liked it
Shelves: prayer, ministry
Good book, refreshing and in short chapters. Nice to keep on the desk and read a page a day.
Ki
Mar 01, 2010 Ki rated it liked it
It had a ton of good ideas, and it was broken up into easy to read sections. A good read.
Susan Ellis
Nov 29, 2008 Susan Ellis rated it really liked it
Practical help with spiritual disciplines.
Crossbones
Oct 28, 2012 Crossbones rated it really liked it
3.2A - Spiritual Growth
Henry Suryadi
Henry Suryadi marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Logan Sharp
Logan Sharp marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Diego Kim
Diego Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Demarian Williams
Demarian Williams marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Michelle Buck
Michelle Buck is currently reading it
Aug 02, 2016
Elmtree
Elmtree marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Monica Duarte
Monica Duarte marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Emily Donovan
Emily Donovan rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Megan Elizabeth
Megan Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Lauren
Lauren is currently reading it
Jun 19, 2016
Wendy Wriggins Ernst
Wendy Wriggins Ernst is currently reading it
Jun 12, 2016
John Bechtold
John Bechtold marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Marcolus
Marcolus marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
hey! 1 2 Oct 28, 2012 11:34PM
  • The Freedom And Power Of Forgiveness
  • The Godly Man's Picture
  • The Potter's Freedom: A Defense of the Reformation and a Rebuttal of Norman Geisler's Chosen But Free
  • The Christian in Complete Armour
  • The Practice of Godliness
  • The Hour That Changes the World: A Practical Plan for Personal Prayer
  • Pleasing People: How not to be an "approval junkie"
  • Five Views on Law and Gospel
  • The Letters of Samuel Rutherford (Puritan Paperbacks)
  • The Christian Life: A Doctrinal Introduction
  • Through the Bible, Through the Year: Daily Reflections from Genesis to Revelation
  • Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices
  • Reverberation: How God's Word Brings Light, Freedom, and Action to His People
  • Desire and Deceit: The Real Cost of the New Sexual Tolerance
  • A Lifting Up for the Downcast
  • Open Heart, Open Home: The Hospitable Way to Make Others Feel Welcome & Wanted
  • Face to Face: Meditations on Friendship and Hospitality
  • Debating Calvinism: Five Points, Two Views
DON WHITNEY has been Professor of Biblical spirituality and Associate Dean at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, KY, since 2005. Before that, he held a similar position (the first such position in the six Southern Baptist seminaries) at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Kansas City, MO, for 10 years. He is the founder and president of The Center for Biblical Spiritua ...more
More about Donald S. Whitney...

“From matters as crucial as the death of Jesus, to those as mundane as eating and drinking, the Bible presents the glo ry of God as the ultimate priority and the definitive criterion by which we should evaluate everything.” 1 likes
“No one coasts into Christlikeness. Any progress in godliness requires Spirit-filled effort and purpose.” 0 likes