Start by marking “Simplify Your Spiritual Life: Spiritual Disciplines for the Overwhelmed” as Want to Read:
Simplify Your Spiritual Life: Spiritual Disciplines for the Overwhelmed

Simplify Your Spiritual Life: Spiritual Disciplines for the Overwhelmed

Jesus faced incredible challenges and suffered agonizing trials, but there was simplicity in His relationship with His Father that we can emulate. And in that simplicity, we can realize our greatest fulfillment as believers.

If your Bible study seems tedious and your prayer life wearisome, stop and rediscover how rewarding the simple Christian life can be.
Published June 23rd 2003 by NavPress

To ask other readers questions about Simplify Your Spiritual Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simplify Your Spiritual Life

Mark Nenadov
Sep 21, 2012 Mark Nenadov rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
Having previously read and enjoyed Whitney's "Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life", I decided to read through this one. I expected a fair amount of repetition, and while there certainly was a fair deal of a common ground, I was pleased to find it quite a bit that is fresh and new as well.

Whitney shares great, practical advice. The advice is delivered in wonderfully short two page "chapter" segments that can be easily digested in a very short reading. There area lot of good tidbits here.
Joel Rockey
Jan 28, 2016 Joel Rockey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is divided into nice little "bite-sized" chapters. Each chapter gives a practical (gospel motivated) way to simplify your spiritual life. I have enjoyed all of Donald Whitney's books, and this one is no exception. There are high and low points, which can be expected when an author is tackling such a broad topic. However, the high points in this book are awesome! Recommended.
Kathy
Mar 01, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it
This is a great follow-up to Whiney's book on the spiritual disciplines. It not only helps us to simplify our spiritual life but also to prioritise it as well. I Don't know about others, but I find myself feeling overwhelmed by the idea of practicing all the disciplines. This book shows how to avoid that. It also helps in simplifying other areas of life. Prioritising and simplifying are essential if we want to accomplish what we were created for. This book is a great tool in helping us achieve ...more
Eric
Mar 27, 2015 Eric rated it it was amazing
Excellent adaptation of Whitney's best-known book, Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life.

This breaks down the ideas of that book into short, easy-to-read chunks. Each "chapter" is no more than 2 pages and shouldn't take longer than 5 minutes to read. Great format to put the topics into application immediately.
Alan
Nov 09, 2009 Alan rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Alan by: Russell Moore
This is great book on Spiritual Disciplines. The title may sound light, but the content is not. The author takes many of the disciplines he discusses in his more comprehensive book "Spiritual Disciplines of the Christian Life" and puts them into bite sized, one or two page sections that can be read daily, or even weekly. For me, the reading on praying scripture was worth the price of the book.
Jan
Feb 11, 2009 Jan rated it it was ok
I went through this book as a daily devotion, taking one "chapter" per day. Much of the content is pretty obvious stuff, some good reminders, etc. Nothing earth-shattering. I found the journaling section really helpful, though, because I'm often stuck on "what" to put in my spiritual journal. The author provides some good prompts.
Natalya
Jul 11, 2012 Natalya rated it it was amazing
I didn't expect to like this, but it is fabulous. Full of insight and practical ways to grow your relationship with God. I was kind of turned off by the title especially the simplify part. However his version of simplify is getting rid of needles stuff and adding more prayer, bible reading and redirecting your focus.Awesome Stuff
Guy Lancour
May 08, 2013 Guy Lancour rated it it was amazing
One of the better books on spirituality. It is written in easily digested but powerful portions. He has taken the spiritual disciplines and connected the dots on how to not be overwhelmed but to simplify them in your life. Great book.
Matt Mason
Dec 07, 2012 Matt Mason rated it really liked it
Sound, simple, devotional, often very practical. This book is pretty unique in the range of things it's speaks to. It offers much help toward living life on purpose.
Micah
Micah rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2015
Lori
Lori rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2008
Gustavo
Gustavo rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2015
Elaine Mazzo
Elaine Mazzo rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2016
Frank
Frank rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2015
Benjie Shaw
Benjie Shaw rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2015
Floyd
Floyd rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2013
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2013
Laura rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2014
Michelle Buck
Michelle Buck rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2016
Lau
Lau rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2013
Jake
Jake rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2015
Gary Shogren
Gary Shogren rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Pat Ennis
Pat Ennis rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2013
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2011
Goragen
Goragen rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2007
Jonathan Brown
Jonathan Brown rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2012
Desiree Barker
Desiree Barker rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Wes Hagerman
Wes Hagerman rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2012
Stacey Douglas
Stacey Douglas rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2012
John Hanson
John Hanson rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
hey! 1 2 Oct 28, 2012 11:34PM
  • The Freedom And Power Of Forgiveness
  • The Godly Man's Picture
  • The Potter's Freedom: A Defense of the Reformation and a Rebuttal of Norman Geisler's Chosen But Free
  • The Christian in Complete Armour
  • The Practice of Godliness
  • The Hour That Changes the World: A Practical Plan for Personal Prayer
  • Pleasing People: How not to be an "approval junkie"
  • Five Views on Law and Gospel
  • The Letters of Samuel Rutherford (Puritan Paperbacks)
  • The Christian Life: A Doctrinal Introduction
  • Through the Bible, Through the Year: Daily Reflections from Genesis to Revelation
  • Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices
  • Reverberation: How God's Word Brings Light, Freedom, and Action to His People
  • Desire and Deceit: The Real Cost of the New Sexual Tolerance
  • A Lifting Up for the Downcast
  • Open Heart, Open Home: The Hospitable Way to Make Others Feel Welcome & Wanted
  • Face to Face: Meditations on Friendship and Hospitality
  • Debating Calvinism: Five Points, Two Views
DON WHITNEY has been Professor of Biblical spirituality and Associate Dean at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, KY, since 2005. Before that, he held a similar position (the first such position in the six Southern Baptist seminaries) at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Kansas City, MO, for 10 years. He is the founder and president of The Center for Biblical ...more
More about Donald S. Whitney...

“From matters as crucial as the death of Jesus, to those as mundane as eating and drinking, the Bible presents the glo ry of God as the ultimate priority and the definitive criterion by which we should evaluate everything.” 1 likes
“No one coasts into Christlikeness. Any progress in godliness requires Spirit-filled effort and purpose.” 0 likes