Start by marking “Blood Mountain” as Want to Read:
Blood Mountain

Blood Mountain

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  16 reviews
For fans of Jack Kilborn, Jack Ketchum, and movies like The Last House on the Left and I Spit on Your Grave.

Mercy Higgins is a recent college graduate who isn’t very experienced. Following the death of her mother to cancer, her father brings her on a hike for a needed respite.

Victor Dolor has been secretly watching Mercy. Consumed with the certainty that the End of Every
Published April 30th 2011 by J.T. Warren (first published April 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Mountain

Elke
I was really surprised, and positively surprised at that, by this novel. I always regard unknown authors with suspicion, "hoping for the best but expecting the worst" (to quote a favorite song from my youth...).

One of its greatest strengths is that the novel is short. Each sentence serves to push the story forward, there are no distracting sideways, no boring chapters written only to fill a required page limit. This straightforwardness works especially well with the fast-paced, pulse-quickening
Carol Ward
I don't generally read a lot of horror and I'm not even sure I knew this book was categorized as horror when I started reading it (I read it on my Kindle and didn't really look at the cover). But I found it hard to put down, nonetheless.

Of course it was the characters that caught my attention, but it was the story that kept me going. That's not to say it was an easy read, it was in fact very disturbing in places, but it was well written.

I found the slow transformation of Mercy from victim to s
Tara
I bought this book for two reasons. One, it was cheap ($2.99). Two, it was described as "for fans of Jack Ketchum and Jack Kilborn". I love Ketchum and Kilborn, so I figured it was worth a try.

Blood Mountain follows a recent college graduate named Mercy as she and her father try to bond on a hiking trip up Blood Mountain. Unfortunately for them, a crazy guy named Victor has been stalking Mercy and follows them up the mountain. Sounds interesting, right?

Well, it could have been better. It wasn't
Gail Ritter
This is a page turner read, fast and "OMG! How's it going to end?!" I labeled this "gratuitous horror" because there's a LOT of brutal fighting, a lot of knives and slashing, and lots of blood. I liken it to those slasher movies where the blood flows freely, and anyone who gets in the way better beware. (I admit to watching a lot of those movies.) Mercy is such a foolish girl/woman...she has Cosmo dreams of meeting Mr. Right, or meeting any guy at all. She is a repressed woman whose thought pro ...more
Todd Russell
I was drawn in by the different character points of view in this killer stalking his human prey tale. The father daughter going up to the mountains thing dragged out a little too long, making the story longer than it should have been. I didn't learn enough different things about the characters to warrant the time spent getting to the horror.

When the killer finally makes his move the story tightened up again and was really good for awhile and then it just kind of ended with no real bang or surpr
Mallory Heart Reviews
Nov 11, 2012 Mallory Heart Reviews rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mallory Heart by: FreeBookDude
Reviewing for FreeBookDude for Oct. 6 2012

Review of Blood Mountain by J. T. Warren
5 stars

This is not a story of hikers stalked in the forest by a Supernatural force such as a Wendigo, nor of campers in danger from natural forces (lightning, forest fires, earthquakes). Although the danger is nearly as implacable and as unthinking as a force of nature, it is ostensibly in human form-and it’s name is Victor Dolor. Intriguingly, “Dolor” is Latin for pain, grief, misery, suffering, and “Victor” is a
Robert Wilson
After reading the first two chapters on the author's blog I had to read the rest of this. I started reading the rest yesterday and finished the book a little over an hour ago. I'm a slow reader. Only the real page turners can make me read that fast. Blood Mountain is dark, gory, and spectacularly disturbing. The characterization is great and the prose is well crafted. J.T. Warren is definitely an author to keep an eye on. I will have to check out his other books now.
Chris DiLeo
I'm the author, so clearly I think this is a really good read. It's full of suspense and gore without sacrificing meaningful characterization. Also, I have pledged to donate money to First Book, a non-profit organization that provides books for children from low-income families if the book sells well. I will make a donation when Blood Mountain reaches the Kindle Top 5000, 2500, 1000, 500, and 100. Buy the book and force Warren to give and give and give.
Lisa
WTF did I just read? Victor was one effed up dude. Honestly don't know how to rate this book…first book I've read like this.
The action was nonstop and awesome. Some of the back story really turned my stomach. And I get that's part of what makes Victor the way he is...but it still makes me gag.
Mercy was a little pathetic but in the end was badass despite her never ending battle. She never gave up. And the end scene was killer!
Lou
Really surprised at how good this was! Gripped me all the way through. Made me feel just like Richard Laymon used to; what the hell kind of a person has this stuff in their head? Wonderful, thankyou!
Sharyn
I read numerous reviews about this and was told how fantastic it was and they couldn't put it down and yadah yadah. I found it an ok book. Not the worst book I have read but certainly not a super page turner and unable to be put down.
Kenni
I didn't finish this book. The beginning was too trashy for me. I wish books came with ratings like movies do. But if you don't mind that stuff give it a shot, it got good ratings otherwise.
Chris Howard
Nice tight mystery, well developed, beautiful descriptive passages, multiple POV's sometimes made it confusing and hard to follow.
Kit★
Jan 20, 2013 Kit★ marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Downloaded a handful of freebies for the Kindle, this is one of 'em.
~Charmer~the 1click addict
This book was intense. That's all I got.
Momoffive
Momoffive marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Jessiebee
Jessiebee marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Alana
Alana marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Jessica Smith
Jessica Smith marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Kathy Doolittle
Kathy Doolittle marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Sandra Dean
Sandra Dean marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Renee Griswell
Renee Griswell marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Horror aficionado, lover of Halloween, author of the upcoming young adult horror novel, HUDSON HOUSE, available in print and ebook formats.

J.T. Warren was born on Halloween, a few months after his mother saw Jaws at the movies. His affinity for horror can be traced to an early age when he built a coffin out of cardboard and pretended to be a corpse, much to the concern of his parents. He can still
More about J.T. Warren...
Hudson House The Lemonade Stand Rampage: A Romance Thriller The Mannequin Child Meat Camp