Start by marking “Otherwise Engaged” as Want to Read:
Otherwise Engaged

Otherwise Engaged

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  605 ratings  ·  59 reviews
What if you could live the life you've always dreamed of -- but never pursued? What if your choices -- married or single, career or motherhood, city or country -- could be made all over again? Bestselling author Eileen Goudge ponders "what might have been" in this tender, provocative tale of two best friends who exchange lives -- and discover the surprising places where th ...more
Published March 15th 2005 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Otherwise Engaged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Otherwise Engaged

Jennifer Wardrip
I'll admit it up front-I am a huge fan of Ms. Goudge's work. She has the ability to mix women's fiction with romance, tragedy, hope, and love in a seamless mix of words on a page. I began reading her work years ago, and I'm glad I never stopped. If I had, I never would have had the pleasure of reading OTHERWISE ENGAGED, a book that hit me particularly hard.

What woman-for that matter, what human-hasn't at least once in their life wondered what would happen if they could change places with someon
Shh I'm reading!
Jaime Atkins
The premise of this book was pretty interesting, but the actual story fell WAY short. I read through page 178 and then I just started skipping around to see what was going to happen. I think the author missed a chance to write a good book. A better story line would have been if Jessie had gone "home" and rediscovered love with Mike after all these years. The split story between Erin and Jessie just didn't work like it could have. I don't know quite how to express it, but I just couldn't grasp t ...more
Ann Mulholland
story of two best friends, one living in New York City, one in Arizona. With changes happening in tnier lives, they decide to 'switch lives' for 6 months. Each discovers things about themselves and find out that it's not always 'greener on the other side'.
Emily
Again, think I read this book before and forgot. This was an interesting book not amazing though.

This book is about Jessie a single girl in new york and Erin (Jessie's best friend) who stayed in their small new mexico home town and is raising a family. As both are faced with obstacles in their life, Jessie needing a change in her career and Jessie's marriage is falling apart, they decide to trade places for 6 months.

The rest of the book is about how their lives change. As Erin is given the cha
Shera Melton
I really really liked this book, even though going into it I thought I wouldn't. Coming from a small hicktown, and aspiring to follow my dreams and wind up in a bigger city, I know just how the characters felt, and as a child of divorce I understood that angle too. Overall this book was so good, with only one thing really bugging me. Jessie was a fool. When you have one man who barely makes time to talk to you, whose family hates you, and who seems indifferent about whether you are near him or n ...more
Mary
It was fairly okay. But one line near the ended sort of ruined it and sucked it up for me,
"Is there such a thing as wedded bliss?" Jessie wondered aloud. "I mean, seriously," she turned toward Erin, "is there ever a day when you wake up next to your husband and think, 'my life with this man is perfect, I wouldn't change a single thing?"

"Erin snorted. "If that ever happened, I'd know I was still dreaming."

Well for basically being chick lit, that line ruined it, because a book centered around hap
Jaclyn
2 stars feels a little harsh, but I can't really say I "liked" this book either. Maybe 2.5 is a better rating... Anyway, I read this book b/c my mom and sister-in-law both read it and liked it, and they rarely lead me astray. However, I wasn't all that captiaved by it and found it interesting that they both thought it was so good that I should read it too. I don't feel it was a waste of time necessarily, but I also didn't like it so much that I would really recommend it to others either. It's go ...more
Melissa
2.5 stars Two friends switch lives when their own are at a crossroads. Nothing original despite an interesting premise. No depth.
Joanie
Wish I could do 3.5 stars for this one but I settled on 3 because although I enjoyed it, I'm probably not going to run out and tell everyone I know to read it. Lifelong friends Jessie and Erin are living very different lives, one in NY and one in AZ, and neither is really happy with how things are going. They agree to switch places for 6 months for a magazine article and to find out what would have happened if they had made other choices. Cute, fun, predictable-good beach read.
Kelly Trowbridge
I actually really enjoyed this book. At first the story seemed kind of overdone, two people are wishing they could turn back time and see how their lives could have ended up, but then it gets a little better with the fact that Jessie was originally from the same place that Erin is living. Therefore she had ties to the town and a history to play off of. Overall, I liked the characters, they weren't too annoying or over the top and the story line played out smoothly.
Bree
This one had been recommended to me by a friend, and I finally got around to reading it because it was chosen for a bookclub. I actually enjoyed it, while the idea is not "new" - people swapping lives for a certain period of time, to find themselves and figure out what they want - it was still enjoyable. I liked the main characters and found myself willing them to do things, lol. There weren't really any surprises in the plot at all, it was just a simple, good read.
Traci
I needed something a little fluffy after Love Among the Ruins. It was that, but it was also a little boring and predictable. I know that this type of book is supposed to be predictable, but normally there's a thrill involved, too. Not this time. Added to that, the characters weren't very well developed on the page. They changed, certainly, but most of the transformation occurred when the reader wasn't with them. Frustrating.
Kristin
This book took me over a week to get through. Mainly because I was really busy, but also because it was a little slow to get in to.

I found Hunter's character to be a little bit of a random character based on the rest of the story.

It's somewhat predictable and the story doesn't seem to flow at times. Of course, this could be because I had to pick up and put down the book so many times.
Ashley
A little long in the page numbers. The story was unique, but at the same time the characters were a little flat. This was a quick read and nice fluff piece after some non-fiction reading I did. If you are looking for something that ends in the typical manner of boy gets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl back- then this book is for you. It's also a great pick up/put down novel.
Lauren
Pretty interesting, though I'm not yet at a point in my life to really sit and think "what-if". It also was a little predictable, and no one's life ends perfectly. The amusing part was that her mother had a best friend named "Gay" who in my opinion was clearly her mother's girlfriend but I don't think the author thinks that way. It was perfectly entertaining - take it the beach!
Nicole
I'm relatively new to reading Eileen Goudge but this is the second of her novels I've read and really enjoyed. "What if....." don't we all ask ourselves that at some point? This was a feel good story of Erin and Jessie's "What if..." moment in life. It was fun, sad, thought provoking, and easy to read. Good stuff!!!
Judy
I took this from my book pile to bring to work to read at lunch. I was glancing at the back cover while sitting at a red light on my way to work, and realized I had read it aleady. Luckily, I got it from the library sale shelf for a quarter.It is now in the pile of books to be given away.
Kim
interesting book. Something I might like to try -- switching places with someone else and trying on their life for 6 months. I think she explored really well how these two women felt about this experience, but it was a bit of a fairy tale ending. Still entertaining, anyway.
Jen
I haven't read this author in awhile. Think of the tv show "Wife Swap" for a longer time period. I was glad both ladies chose with their hearts but I did feel like the last 30 pages or so were tying everything into a neat bow.
Sherry
For anyone who's every asked themselves that question, this book is for you. It's a cute story that gives a peak into what life could be like if you swapped places with your best friend. An easy, quick read. Enjoy!
Megan
This book was just plain fun. It sucked me in and I wanted to read it straight through. It's not life altering but is just a great book if you're looking for something light and fun. Perfect for the beach.
Elizabeth
I'm going to go with a good solid 3 stars on this one. I wanted to finish it. I let other things wait so that I could finish it. That's always a good sign, right? Light reading. Overall, fun.
Lauren
I'm having a hard time getting through this book. I don't look forward to picking it up like I do other books. I'm considering abandoning it even though I've already devoted two weeks to reading it.
It was a quick read but I was a little disappointed with the plot. I had a hard time relating to one of the male characters and from the beginning thought the storyline should have been different.
Eli
Jane Green's version of this story (Swapping Lives) was better. Also, the popular culture references that rapidly escalated at the end added nothing to the story & annoyed me.
Tin
Familiar premise with little twist. Heartwarming but not engaging. Nice read.

Full review:
Julie
Too light. Especially compared to Eileen Goudge's other (earlier) books. But, I didn't waste much time on this one; read almost the whole thing on the plane yesterday.
Linsey
This was a super easy read, more of a beach or by the pool read. I thought some of it was overly perdictable and bordered on romance novel cheesy. But I finished it!
  • The Ex Files
  • The Single Wife
  • Mean Season (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Back in the Game
  • Lost & Found (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Not Quite A Mom
  • The Accidental Mother
  • Nearlyweds
  • Young Wives
  • Girl Talk
  • Gucci Gucci Coo
  • Flip-Flopped
  • Me vs. Me
  • Heartbreak Hotel (Twilight Cove, #3)
  • The Last Year Of Being Married (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Lip Service (Butterfield Institute)
  • The Thing About Jane Spring
  • Fashionistas
I began writing at the age of eight, and wrote my way through the lean years, more than one marriage, single motherhood,and moving to the Big Apple on a wing and a prayer, with fifteen women's fiction novels to show for it. Every life experience I've weathered has found its way into my novels in one form or another:bad exes, births, deaths,divorces, pregnancy scares,true crime (I was nearly kidnap ...more
More about Eileen Goudge...
Garden of Lies The Diary The Replacement Wife Woman in Red Once in a Blue Moon