Start by marking “How to Sell Your Crafts Online: A Step-by-Step Guide to Successful Sales on Etsy and Beyond” as Want to Read:

With over 400,000 sellers on Etsy, how can you make YOUR shop stand out and increase your sales? This is a key question for many crafters and artists who are selling online these days. Now here are all the answers and much more from author and Etsy seller Derrick Sutton. Based on his self-published guide, and drawn from his practical experience, you will learn how to boost ...more
Published October 11th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about How to Sell Your Crafts Online, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Sell Your Crafts Online

Melissa Henderson
Feb 27, 2013 Melissa Henderson rated it it was amazing
Great information and examples to boost your Etsy shop profile. There are so many tools available that I didn't know about that will help with my pricing/inventory strategy. I'm in the process of implementing many of the author's recommendations in hope that my sales will increase.

So far, I've recieved more "likes" than before. Much of Etsy success has to do with being connected and all over the social media. It takes time, but in the end, should hopefully be worth it.
Noemi Mendez
Apr 19, 2014 Noemi Mendez rated it really liked it
I found it to be very useful. I have used Etsy in the past to buy but never to sell. The author shows you a lot of different tools that you can use to promote and set-up your store. I read one other book on how to set-up an Etsy store and this one did a better job job showing you exactly how to do that.

This edition is a bit outdated. It talke about webpges that no longer exist such as Su.pr and Google Reader. I did appreciate it's explanation of Google analytics and how to set it up. The author
Anne
Jan 31, 2016 Anne marked it as craft-books
** note to self: to re-check from library later: lots of good help on marketing & promotion
Aisha Oaktree
Originally Posted on By The Broomstick

My sister is a businesswoman and she has been pushing me to make my scarves and sell them for years now. Before I jumped into the fray I decided I needed to know more. This book is great for those who have never used Etsy before and wanted to know how to use the craft site and promote your products without going to a website developer.

I have personally played around with Etsy for a little while. I was once going to start selling my crochet crafts but decided
Sheila
May 27, 2012 Sheila rated it liked it
Shelves: business-startup

How to Sell Your Crafts Online: A Step-by-Step Guide to Successful Sales on Etsy and Beyond is very much on Etsy and not so much beyond. It would be a great resource for someone who wants to set up an Etsy shop and is not very internet-savvy.

The book provides step-by-step instructions for setting up an Etsy shop as well as accounts on several social media sites. Most of this is overkill for anyone who's fairly internet-savvy, but the book is probably still worth a flip thru for anyone selling o
Janette Fuller
Aug 28, 2012 Janette Fuller rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafts
I have sold on eBay for many years but I just opened an Etsy shop a few months ago. I have been looking for books that would help me get up and running on this site.

This book covers every subject that you need to know to get started on Etsy. There are instructions for setting up the shop, writing listings that sell, tagging and taking photographs of your items.

The author explains the importance of getting involved in the Etsy community by participating in forums, forming teams and creating Etsy
Dawn
Nov 11, 2013 Dawn rated it really liked it
This book is helpful in understanding how to post and promote craft products you wish to sell online. One thing I like about this book is that it gives you many options to do this and the cost of each of these steps. Where he can the author also tells you free options, such as free websites or applications that can help. I also like that some of the information in this book can be used to improve my media skills in using the internet in general... even if I do not end up starting an Etsy busines ...more
Jessi
Jan 05, 2012 Jessi rated it did not like it
I have checked out several books like this one recently, and I have to say that I wasn't impressed with any of them. I've been using social networks since the beginning, basically, so maybe that's why a lot of the information in this book seemed like common sense to me. If you really aren't familiar with the internet and have never visited websites like Etsy, Facebook, and eBay, this book may be helpful to you. I would recommend getting this book and others like it from the library, though. To m ...more
Amy
Jul 19, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
I highly highly recommend this book! To me, it was a lot more user friendly than others out there (Craft Inc, The Handmade Marketplace, etc). I love the format of each chapter being a lesson with things that you can apply to your etsy shop at the end of each chapter. I especially loved the chapter about SEO and the following chapters about creating powerful backlinks to drive traffic to your shop. Extremely helpful!
Milka
Aug 05, 2014 Milka rated it really liked it
A very useful book on how to start an Etsy shop, especially if you've never done it before. Sutton takes you step by step on setting things up, and then finding many ways to promote your shop online. This book can be applied to any online shop, not just an Etsy shop, although half of the content really is about an Etsy shop set-up. Great book to get you started. There are probably many other books out there to help you keep going once you're passed the early steps.
Rebeca
Jan 03, 2013 Rebeca rated it it was ok
This book is ok. But nothing in here is new, it is already outdated and there is really no "beyond" - this book applies almost entirely to Etsy. The good thing about it is that is is really step by step. It shows you in depth how to create things like banners for free, how to design your own logo etc. However, if you have a passing understanding of photoshop, know how to use google and email and have basic common sense, this book will offer very little insight.
AdultNonFiction Teton County Library
TCL Call Number: 745.5068 Sutton D

5 stars - Diana

If you have ever thought about selling crafts online through Etsy, this book will walk you through the process very clearly. It gives everything from basic information, like how to choose an Etsy shop name, to insider tips, like choosing strategic keywords and taking the best photos possible. Armed with this book, a digital camera, and of course your crafts, you can be selling on Etsy by the end of the day.
pea.
Mar 19, 2013 pea. rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
get it from the library.
good to scan while sitting in the car waiting for the kid to finish practice... not too much new, a few things i may look into later. can't say I expected much ... the 'w' embroidered on the cover is formed incorrectly and would drive my third grade handwriting teacher ballistic.
Cari
Sep 27, 2012 Cari rated it it was ok
The first third of the book would be very helpful if it wasn't already outdated by the time it was published. The last two thirds are blatant filler (here's how to post a Squidoo lens! Want to publish it? Click the "publish" button! Now it's published! etc.). Online how-to articles will get you farther than this book.
Tamara
Oct 20, 2011 Tamara rated it liked it
A decent introduction for those entering the world of Etsy.

Would have liked more visuals and example stores, but it covers the basics of creating a shop, marketing the shop, shipping, etc.

P.S. I have to say, I was surprised to see this was written by a man. Every crafty book I've read recently seems to have been written by a 20-or 30-something gal.

Kristen
Jan 04, 2012 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: work
I have been on Etsy for a few years so, this probably isn't the book for me. I already knew most of the stuff but I admit I do not take advantage of all of it. It was a good book to skim through. If I was just starting out I think it would be very helpful.
Diana
Sep 04, 2015 Diana rated it liked it
Shelves: non-ficton, crafts
Half of it felt like common sense, (at least if you have some idea to what sells). Then the other half felt like you'd need to overexpose yourself in every outlet you can find.
Really I think this is just a live and learn thing.
Alicia
Mar 24, 2015 Alicia rated it liked it
Wow, this has a lot of information. As someone completely unfamiliar with online marketing, I had no idea how all this worked and interconnected. It's really more involved than I'm prepared to be at this time, and as some other reviewers stated- parts are out-of-date. I may revisit this later.
Deborah
Mar 21, 2012 Deborah rated it really liked it
There is a lot of good information here, but it is more about promoting your shop than about getting started.
Alexis
Apr 03, 2012 Alexis rated it it was ok
This book is great for newbies and SEO. Otherwise, I think the other book I borrowed was more valuable in terms of scope of information in regards to selling your crafts.
Kylie
Feb 15, 2013 Kylie rated it liked it
It's one I skimmed for specific topics I was looking for. But it would definitely be a good reference for anyone with an etsy shop and great for someone just getting started.
Yulia
Oct 02, 2012 Yulia rated it it was amazing
Very informative and has a lot of step by step "how to" stuff. I had my Etsy shop for 4 years now but I found so much new information in this book and will definitely refer to it again and again.
Ashley
Oct 25, 2012 Ashley rated it it was amazing

This is a very helpful book. Anything you ever needed to know about successfully selling items on etsy is right here.
Sharon Johnson
Mar 23, 2013 Sharon Johnson rated it it was amazing
Excellent!! I am working through this book step by step and it seems to cover all the important considerations, especially for Etsy.
Kei
Jun 24, 2012 Kei rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Torrents of information that basically told me I need to do a lot more social networking site things than I really want to.
Tracy Canuck
Sep 23, 2014 Tracy Canuck rated it it was ok
Shelves: skimmed
Unfortunately the book is quite outdated already. Google Reader? lol. Still some helpful hints and tips for the newbie
Gaile
Aug 11, 2016 Gaile rated it did not like it
Shelves: self-help
This one was published in 2011 and I would have done better to have found a later edition as this one is outdated.
Emily
Dec 12, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
I haven't read this book all the way through yet, but so far it's been very informative and full of great ideas. I can't wait to apply this info to my own Etsy shop. EmsieOnEtsy.etsy.com
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
Barbara
Barbara rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Grow Your Handmade Business: How to Envision, Develop, and Sustain a Successful Creative Business
  • Etsy-preneurship: Everything You Need to Know to Turn Your Handmade Hobby into a Thriving Business
  • Handmade to Sell: Hello Craft's Guide to Owning, Running, and Growing Your Crafty Biz
  • Mod Podge Rocks!: Decoupage Your World
  • Craft, Inc.: Turn Your Creative Hobby into a Business
  • The Crafter's Guide to Taking Great Photos: The Best Techniques for Showcasing Your Handmade Creations
  • 1,000 Steampunk Creations: Neo-Victorian Fashion, Gear, and Art
  • Crafty Superstar: Make Crafts on the Side, Earn Extra Cash, and Basically Have It All
  • Craft-a-Day: 365 Simple Handmade Projects
  • The Art Journal Workshop: Break Through, Explore, and Make it Your Own
  • How to Make Money Using Etsy: A Guide to the Online Marketplace for Crafts and Handmade Products
  • The Collage Workbook: How to Get Started and Stay Inspired
  • Making Handmade Books: 100+ Bindings, Structures & Forms
  • BiblioCraft: The Modern Crafter's Guide to Using Library Resources to Jumpstart Creative Projects
  • Journal It!: Perspectives in Creative Journaling
  • Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists & Creatives of all Kinds
  • World of Geekcraft: Step-by-Step Instructions for 25 Super-Cool Craft Projects
  • Craftivity: 40 Projects for the DIY Lifestyle