Found: A Daughter's Journey Home

Found: A Daughter's Journey Home

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  289 ratings  ·  53 reviews
In this powerful follow-up to her New York Times bestselling memoir, A Paper Life, Academy Award®-winning actress Tatum O’Neal returns with an extraordinary chronicle of family, forgiveness, redemption, and commitment—a remarkable story told with honesty, humility, determination, and above all . . . love

The golden child of a glamorous Hollywood couple, Tatum O’Neal had a c...more
Published June 14th 2011 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Found, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Found

Shawna
Meh. More of the same things she said in her other book, and her other book was mentioned on almost every page.

I'm convinced she's a bit nutty after watching the show because she's such a nag. She harps on everything her father does, and they're both in therapy, so if they really want to make things work, she's got to back off a bit. She's never going to get all the apologies she seeks, so if she wants her relationship with Ryan to be smoother, she's got to let go of her bitterness about the pas...more
Chris
This book is 200 pages of Tatum whining about the estrangement of her and her father. She tends to call him Ryan in the book. She whines about her life, how she and her brother were left along with an alcoholic mother, and abandoned by her father, when he goes to live with Farrah Fawcett. She talks about the making of her reality show on OWN with her father, that most people did not see. She really needs to just "get over" her negative feelings towards her father, and forgive him, and get on wit...more
Leanna Dinsmore
I wish I had read Paper Life first. I am currently mid-way through this book and while I find it very telling, I feel a personality is missing. There is a lot of whiney blame placed on her mother and more specifically on Ryan. I can understand that you had a bad to good and then bad again relationship with your parents but I honestly cannot stand it when people do not take responsibility for their own life. To blame your father for your heroin addiction is absurd. He didn't shoot you up, you did...more
Mary
I've been intrigued with Tatum O'Neal for the past few years, not so much for her work as an actress (I've only seen her performance in Paper Moon for which she won an Academy Award at age 10). I'm fascinated with the drama of her personal life, particularly the dysfunctional relationship she has with her father, actor Ryan O'Neal. I read her first biography, "A Paper Life" several years ago and was so fascinated with her story I knew I wanted to read this newly-released biography sequel, which...more
Debbie
I have followed Ms. O'Neal's career from the beginning and I enjoyed her first book, "A Paper Life". I also watched the Ryan and Tatum reality show on OWN, so I thought this book would be interesting. I was wrong.

Much of what she writes is a rehashing - with less detail - of what she wrote about in "A Paper Life". What stood out to me most, though, is her tendency to exaggerate and contradict herself, starting in the very first chapter. She talks about being arrested, describes what she was wear...more
Belinda
This book picks up where A Paper Life left off, telling the story of Tatum's life after the publication of the book, her docuseries with her father, Ryan and her attempts to reconcile with him. I just adore Tatum and always have--I wanted to be the little girl I thought she was in The Bad News Bears and Little Darlings--she was beautiful, spunky and wild. After reading her first autobiography I was set straight. I did not want to be that little girl. I don't think very many Hollywood kids have b...more
LaurieH118
I get the feeling that if Farrah Fawcett hadn't died, the tentative reconciliation between Tatum and Ryan never would have happened. Farrah passes away and Sean McEnroe decides he wants to get to know his grandfather, and Tatum reaches out to her father, and now Ryan is open and receptive. At least initially.

These are universal themes. Especially as our population ages and more of us find ourselves looking at imperfect parents that we love, and want to find peace and resolution when we still can...more
Jeannie
Uggghhh, another example of someone writing a book for money. Which obviously she needs since when is the last time you saw her in a movie or in anything of note? I really enjoyed Tatums first book A Paper Life (and she should have stopped there but no....) so I was eager to read this one but she just took her first book and rehashed it. Read that, know that...her addiction, her father, her horrible childhood, her kids..on and on...didn't need another book to read it all again. I mean "Come on!"...more
kathi
This book is very interesting to me as I can relate to parts of her story. The fact that she grew up and survived the horrendous parenting job her parents did is amazing. She was able to fight her addiction, marry and raise three fairly normal children and through 12-step and therapy begin to heal her life.

While Tatum never said anything pointedly derogatory about her parents she was able to paint a very clear picture of growing up with no adult supervision or guidance. The fact that CPS never g...more
Lenore
This was a very sad tale, of the movie star life style at it's worse. Tatum, daughter of Ryan O'Neal was abandoned by her father, after he met Farrah Fawcett. She and her brother had to pretty much fend for themselves, before they were adults. After a disastrous marriage to John Macenroe, she found heroin, cocaine, and any other drug that would offer solace. The story details her fight for sobriety, and restarting her career. Definitely a cut above, the usual Hollywood memoir.
Annette
I didn't really want to read Tatum's first book that detailed all of the tragedy of her young life. I know she had a very rough childhood and that she has struggled with addiction as an adult. I was more interested in her journey with addiction and reconciling with her famous father, Ryan O'Neal. I watched their docu-series on OWN and came to have a respect for Tatum's courage and strength. This book was a positive look at a daughter's journey home.
Carla
I haven't read A Paper Life, but I did see her's and her Dad's show on OWN network. I thought the series very heartfelt, and this came out in her book as well. I will say however that there is nothing in the book that wasn't presented or stated in the show already. For this reason, I only gave it 3 stars. She's a determined lady, and had a pretty screwed up life during her formative years. She's been the round of "blaming" though, and seems able to own up to her own faults, and is trying to reco...more
Wendy
Certainly not as riveting and dark and revealing as her first book “A Paper Life”, but a much more positive journey to become the woman she is today and her journey back to having a relationship with her famous father, Ryan.

Being close to the same age, I watched Tatum grow up from afar. Enjoying her movies when I was young and still loving “Paper Moon” to this day, it’s easy to be interested in her life and her story.

I hate to use the word uneventful to describe this book, but it was, a bit. But...more
Barb
I am sure that this was cathartic for Tatum. I still wonder about her ability to forgive her mother so easily and have such a difficult time accepting her father. Turns out she has proven that the incident with the gun and her brother was not a crazy Ryan. She shares other stories that show, finally, the other side and it is not all a monster Ryan. Did he do the right thing when she was young? No. Can that ever be changed? No. I still get the feeling she justifies drug abuse for her and her moth...more
Bonnie
I really enjoyed this book because of Tatum O'Neal's brutal honesty and sincerity and genuineness in her desire to reconcile with her father Ryan O'Neal.

Lenn
What a beautiful story of recovery. As someone who has experienced the recovery and growth process firsthand, reading this was inspirational. I was rooting for Tatum throughout the book. I love that she doesn't play the victim and is taking responsibility for her own actions. I also identified with the living amends process she has going on with her children. My heart breaks for what she and her brothers have gone through but I do find it beautiful that she has found recovery and that there is a...more
Gloria
Interesting...she was very honest about her relationship with Ryan Oneal.
Katie Aldana
This book did not hold my interest as much as the first one did. The fact that this book covers 2-3 years of her life did not elicit enough material for the book. Her show on the O Network was discussed in depth and was dragged out too much. She also blames her father and criticizes him often. I do think Ryan O'Neal was a poor father (I think he has some mental/emotional problems too), but the bashing got old after a while. Kudos for Tatum for continuing to seek recovery and stay clean, though--...more
Emily
Okay, I probably shouldn't have read a book so focused on "recovery" while doped up on Vicodin. But I have to say, it really was the perfect thing. I had a little mishap with my foot, which explains the painkillers. I watched their reality show, and found it engrossing -- even more than Celebrity Rehab.

Okay so she repeats herself, and its about 30 pages too long.

But it's fun, and great if you're mental capacity is not 100%. Sorry Tatum, I don't mean that as a slam against you.
Meredith
This is the sequel to A Paper Life and it's just not all that interesting . Tatum repeats a lot of the stories from her first book; which I'm sure is to fill in readers who didn't read the first one.

I do find her and her story intersting, and I feel for her for what she's been through. It just seemed like this book was a lot more general. It seems like she doesn't want to disrupt the fragile peace she's working on with her father. I understand that, but not sure if we needed book #2.
Tara D-K
I was SO into A Paper Life that I couldn't wait to read this. I didn't even finish it. It was boring and she's so obsessed with her dad. It's creepy. He was or is awful. It seems like he has NPD- Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Yet she's in her late 40's or 50 & she still obsesses about getting daddy to love her. Dude. Get into hardcore therapy, get over him and cut him loose from your head & heart and gain your sanity and self respect! Ugh. It's all just so tragic.
Swhe641200
8/2011 From Davis County Library. This was a lot easier to read than A Paper Life. She wrote this more as a more healthy prospect as a Mother which meant the world to her. Her children have turned out well, how her relationship with her father, she is seeing his side, his prospective of all the drama of her life. She is clean by the end of the book and it has a better out look on her life she is happy and you can feel it in her book.
Jana
Finished her book, it was interesting I enjoyed it. It was pretty much her journey with Ryan through therapy about her memories of childhood versus his memories of her childhood. We all have different realities and it was good to see maybe they can meet on commmon ground and move forward. It was nice to see her finally get to a hopeful sober point of view. It followed the reality series pretty closely. I love tv what can I say....
Andrea
Compared to her book, "A Paper Life", Tatum O'Neal's description of her life as an adult was tedious and uninteresting. Apparently having appeared on a reality tv show with her father, Ryan O'Neal, Tatum described in detail her struggles with substance abuse, addiction, and a challenging family. I ended up skimming through the end of the book and its seemingly therapy-induced confessions.
Stacy
I like tatum Oneal. She is a very interesting person and I like to read about her success. This book, a follow up to her autobiography is okay. Its an easy read and takes off where she was arrested in 2008. It starts to detail her relationship with her father and her past...I wanted to hear more about her relationship but it ended a bit abruptly.
Rain
If you watched the OWN series about the O'Neals, this is a good companion piece. But I can't see it really standing on its own (no pun intended). A lot of what she covered in her first book is brought up here, and there's more resolution on the show itself than in this book. But, if you read the first book and saw the show, this is worth reading.
EMP
She didn't have enough new to say to write another book. Should have waited a while. I want to shake her and tell her to give up on having a fulfilling relationship with her dad. He sounds like a jerk and completely self centered.
Becky
It was good -- recap of some of the first book "Paper Life" and if you watched the reality show, you understood much of what she wrote. I'm glad I watch the reality show before reading the book.
Marian
Tatum O'Neal has led a very difficult life, and I give her a lot of credit for constantly searching for insight and improvement. I liked this book, and her previous memoir, A Paper Life.
Dale Stonehouse
Author: Well-intentioned, abuse survivor, PTSD, codependent. Author' subject (father): well-intentioned, possibly narcissistic, possibly Peter Pan syndrome. Book: Unnecessary.
  • The Real Girl Next Door
  • Both of Us: My Life with Farrah
  • I Was a Dancer
  • The Ear of the Heart: An Actress' Journey from Hollywood to Holy Vows
  • The Memory of All That: George Gershwin, Kay Swift, and My Family's Legacy of Infidelities
  • Untied: A Memoir of Family, Fame, and Floundering
  • After All
  • Sweet Judy Blue Eyes: My Life in Music
  • Good Stuff: A Reminiscence of My Father, Cary Grant
  • Patti LuPone: A Memoir
Tatum Beatrice O'Neal is an American actress best known for her film work as a child actress in the 1970s. She is the youngest to win a competitive Academy Award, at the age of 10.
More about Tatum O'Neal...
A Paper Life Becoming Myself: Reflections on Growing Up Female