Prelude to a Hero (Chronicles of a Hero, #0.5)

Prelude to a Hero (Chronicles of a Hero 0.5)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Wendell is a young man who learns what his potential is while on a strange, enchanted world with a funny old wizard and ugly troll to mentor and guide him. Prelude to a Hero, the debut book about how Wendell came to be the one expected to save an entire world. . . by accident.
Published May 27th 2011 by On The Fly Publications

To ask other readers questions about Prelude to a Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prelude to a Hero

Jennifer (Books That Spark)
Prelude to a Hero is the debut novel from author Jaime Buckley and the first of the Wanted:Hero chronicles. After reading the synopsis, I was eager to get started. Although I'm already a HUGE fan of fantasy fiction, this book appealed to me as I felt it would be something new and unique... I wasn't left disappointed!

The book follows the adventures of Wendell and from the minute I was introduced to him, I knew I was going to love him. He lives in the shadow of his longest and best friend Evan, an...more
Lisa
Jun 05, 2011 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: other
Prelude To A Hero is a unique story, to say the least. I found it quite entertaining so don't let the cover discourage you. Wendell, geeky and socially-awkward, finds himself suddenly placed on a path to be a "hero" on a distant planet for goodness knows what reason. Little did he know, accepting a tiny little gift would change his life forever.

I must admit that this fun tale had me giggling throughout. Jaime Buckley makes good use of Wendell's hilariously unaware and over-the-top personality. H...more
Nathan
It has been a very long time since I have been deeply moved by a book. And you know you have found a great book when you want to slap the author and give the author a hug at the same time, when you take some of the plot turns personally. How can you laugh (a lot), cry, feel vengeful anger and fall so in love with the characters in a book thinner than your pinky?!
Dulcy
Publisher: On the Fly Publications
Age: Young Adult/ Adult
Species: Humans, Iskäri, Elävoimä, Evolu, Vallen
Rating: 3.5/5
Interest: Heroes/Requested Review/ 200 in 2011
Source: Ebook from Author

I honestly liked this book much more than I initially expected. I'm not usually an "epic quest" kind of girl. The series has potential to be very popular among boys when it gets more promotion. I'm not sure what to say about the book. I don't feel qualified to judge boy's books most of the time as a girl becau...more
Kaitlyn
These books started out as comic books... which is way cool.

This is a really fun, fantasy read. Right from the beginning, the book tells you that, “This story begins with a stranger. A self-proclaimed coward. A mere boy from a different world--who united the hearts of nations by accident.” (Location 52) This is a classic underdog story and I cannot wait to see where Wendell ends up. Wendell is actually a really funny character. He is self-deprecating, awkward, and some of his inner (and spoken)...more
Jessica Bronder
As Wendell, basically a no body, is planning how to get himself a girlfriend, he is kidnapped by a little green, smelly, foul mouthed creature, Dax. He wakes up at the feet of a blue man that proceeds to tell him how he is the last of a bloodline and that he is there to collect his treasure. What he doesn’t learn is that the treasure comes with a great cost.

Wendell is now a Hero to protect Iskari from Dark Lord Mahan. He doesn’t really want the job and is told that in a month he can return the p...more
Leilani
Prelude to a Hero was one of the most enjoyable books I've read this year. It's about a young man named Wendell who, by accident, is taken to another world and finds himself among creatures he never knew existed and finds thousands of lives relying on his leadership. No pressure right? I loved this book because it takes a misfit who was never really liked or appreciated and it shows the beginning of the process of him unlocking his potential and becoming something greater than anyone would have...more
Olivia
Quirky, unique and oh so funny. That's how I would describe Prelude to a Hero. This book is an intruduction to the awesome tale in which an awkward boy has to save the blue residents of a far away planet from evil. This debut novel is a epic story that will leave you craving for more.

The writing in Prelude to a Hero was incredible. The narrating and inner thoughts of Wendell (the main character) were really amusing. You know that awkward guy who never tries to be funny, but everything he does an...more
Nathan
The theme of a misplaced, unlikely and reluctant hero never grows old for some of us who remain boys at heart. We like to believe that it's possible that the fate of the universe could rely on someone not too different from us, who can become many of the things we long to be.

These aren't new ideas, they've been around from the legend of a slave brought up under the guise of Egypt's royalty, to the story of a Connecticut Yankee's misplaced in time. How they get there is half the adventure, whethe...more
Krista (CubicleBlindness Reviews)
I want to say right away that this type of book is not my usual type of reading. But I did give it a try and I did enjoy it overall. I do think it's a book that boys will love. Great adventure and humor, from a boys perspective.
The first chapter kind of threw me. It is heavily laden with foreign names and set in a Universe and time that unknown to us, leading us into more of what will happen later in the story.
But the second chapter dives more into Wendell's story and takes on a more light hear...more
Michelle
This book is a quick read. It is a nice, short introduction for what seems to be a very promising series! I will admit that at some points early on in the story I was as confused as Wendell (the main character) appeared. But it worked well to show the mystery surrounding the alien land.

I loved the narrator of the story. He was funny and philosophical all at the same time. He would interject thoughts and facts at random times in the story, and I thought that they were a really nice break. I also...more
Uptill2a.m.
Sep 10, 2011 Uptill2a.m. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to laugh.
Shelves: gotta-own-it
I really enjoyed this one. You know a book is good when you develop strong feelings and relationships with it's characters right from the start. I loved and even hated a few of the characters as soon as i met them. I was sucked into the story's totally new universe and ,like Wendal, I simply couldn't escape. It was funny and very entertaining. You feel for Wendal, you connect with the strange new people,you get angry at the High Elder...
It starts out as a classic underdog story. Wendel is your...more
A Book Vacation
I really liked this novel. The writing, the characterization, the plot… it was all very well done, and it was funny too! Wendell is a really likable character and I loved his wit throughout the novel. I found myself snorting in laughter as I read, especially as Wendell interjects his thoughts and feelings about being the long lost hero that an “alien” world has been waiting for. I see a little of myself in Wendell, and so I can’t help but like him—and I think he will appeal to readers of all age...more
The Book Mystress
I enjoyed prelude to a hero, being inside Wendell's head was a fun time, this awkwardly geeky teen that is accidentally thrown on a path of a hero to save a far away planet from evil.
All the terminology was a little bit hard to get through, The Book Mystress mostly reads about Vampires and paranormal so you kind of get used to the terminology of the Paranormal realm but after I got past that it was pretty smooth sailing.
Wendell is up there with Peter Parker or Clark Kent in the sense you would...more
Shadowlantern
Jaime Buckley's Prelude to a Hero novel, from Wanted:Hero, is excellent!

At the start of the book I was guessing a bit as to what would happen. I had read the comic book's previously but also knew that, in order to make a successful novel of it, it would require some straying from the comic books themselves. I was a bit skeptical... But I have become a believer.

This book had me laughing several times throughout it, and cringing in dread and sorrow at certain points.

The book is an easy read, a fun...more
Meredith
First, I will say, this is not the type of book that I would normally read. The first chapter of this book dives right into a new universe, and some very odd names, and I was a little confused as I often am during the first chapters of books. So, I admit, I was a little dubious. Then the second chapter came in and you really got to meet the main character, Wendell. And from there on- the books gets better and better! I loved the 'under-dog' aspect of it! Also, I really liked that this book was o...more
Karl2121
This is the kind of story that makes me fall in love with reading all over again. I loved the main character Wendall and his minds inner workings reminds me of me :) The true beauty of this book is how vast this universe is, its not just one guy saving the world, but worlds upon worlds. I can't wait to see where Wendall ends up next!
Alain Burrese
“Wanted Hero Prelude to a Hero” by Jaime D. Buckley is an entertaining and enjoyable beginning to the adventures of Wendell, an unlikely prospect to get a date for the prom, little lone save the universe. But when transported to away from Earth with a little green troll like creature and told by a High Elder that he is the chosen one, this reluctant hero accepts the great responsibility to battle the forces of evil and live up to the expectations the Elders have of him – well almost...

Buckley fi...more
carole
Wanted: Hero Prelude to a Hero is a book that I may not have picked up off the shelves. It's different from the books I normally read and I'm glad I gave it a chance. It's an easy read and relatively short, it gives the reader just enough information to hook them in for more. More is what I'm now craving.

The beginning confused me and I felt lost. It's an introduction set in a foreign place that is hard to get into and understand. which led me to put the book down. Eventually, I went back and tri...more
Nic
Humans know so many things yet are oblivious to so many other facts. Those facts will change Wendell's life forever when he is kidnapped and teleported to another whole new galaxy. Upon arrival he is told that he is the last bloodline of the royal family and the only hope to defeat evil, which is growing ever stronger. Wendell doesn't want to have anything to do with these strange martians and so, he decides to bid his time until he can come back to Earth. Soon he meets an ecstatic girl named K...more
Penelope Reece
**I received this book free from the author in exchange for an honest review**

First I want to reiterate, this story is more for adolescent males. Going by the tone and pubescent humor, this book definitely appeals to teens (and all those grown-ups who cannot or will not let go of their immaturity).

With that said, I would have given this a higher rating if I were still my fifteen-year-old tomboyish self instead of a wife and girly girl. And I mean super girly girl.

The Plot
A boy who thinks he's no...more
Gemma Feltham
I found Prelude to a Hero to be concise, well-written and home to some wonderfully believable characters. An interesting and lovable world is depicted far above Earth in this humorous fantasy/adventure novel.

Initially I thought there were hints of a storyline that would be similar to I Am Number 4 by Pittacus Lore, but the more I read I found that there may be the odd similarity; but Prelude to a Hero is very much its own novel. The chapters are fairly short in comparison to other novels I’ve re...more
Joselin
This was a nice and short story about a boy named Wendell who finds out that he has to save this foreign planet from an evil dark wizard. Honestly I liked it more than I thought I would. When I saw the cover at first I was a bit skeptical and not sure what I was going to read. Yet when I finished reading it I thought it was pretty good. It didn't totally blow my mind but it was a well done story w/ a fresh plot.

Since it's so short I don't want to give anything away in case you decide to check it...more
Katie
By just reading the synopsis I didn’t expect something like this story. Although I found the special terms and unusual names of the characters a bit difficult to attach in the beginning, it got much better throughout the story. Although this is only a prelude and has only 104 pages therefore, it contained a lot of actions and you get to know pretty much about the new world Wendell has to live in now. It was an nique plot and I found it very interesting to follow, because you get to find out more...more
Vanessa
Wanted: Hero isn’t the type of book I usually read. When it comes to intergalactic sci-fi stories, I tend to be very picky. And what really intrigued me about Hero is the fact that it is the full novel of its comic version and Jaime Buckley had written the book (comic/novel) with a sole purpose of reaching out to kids nowadays, to inspire them to reach their full potential and fulfill their dreams. How awesome is that?

There were a few things about this book that really impressed me. Jaime Buckle...more
My Thoughts: I would say that this book is for younger kids, but I was still able to follow the story. Something interesting about this book is that it began as a series of comics.

I enjoyed the opening of the book (prologue), it introduces you to the narrator and the interesting writing style of the book. After that, I was pushed straight into chapter one and I did find it a bit confusing at first because it was a sudden leap. Once Wendell (the protagonist) is introduced in the second chapter it...more
Craig
This one of the best book I have ever read cover to cover... it really left me hanging at the end and I just cant wait for this Mr. Buckley to finish then next book to see how it all turns out! the planet in the book that the Hero visits make hope that one day are world can be that wonderful. I love this Book so-muck I am on my third read of the book.the dimension in this book that we all my have a Hero inside just did it for me!
Jessica
I really liked the book. It has funny characters--that make be burst with laughter.

This is hard, because I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't read it yet.

When Wendell slapped Dax in the dark..I chuckled. It's something I'd done to my own brother when he jumped out to scare me.

I recommend this book to anyone who likes fantasy or a good adventure!
Aubri
ASIDE from the demise of my favorite character, the book is great!! I was devastated that there wasn't more when I finished.

Go dweebs!
You're the man!
If you can't do it...
A HERO can!
-er, or not. ...You better just do it.
Sharon
This book was way funny and easy to read. I had a hard time putting it down. I am very excited and enthusiastic about were the story goes from here.Good luck Jaime. I ook forward to your next adventure!
« previous 1 3 next »
Jaime Buckley is a husband, father of 12 and dreams of a career as a Pepsi connoisseur. Heck, he’d even settle for being a cheese or sausage maker. Instead he labors from dawn until dusk building worlds, crafting magic, training heroes, fighting monsters and entertaining children around the world. When he saves up all his extra time, Jaime also designs games and teaches worldbuilding through his d...more
More about Jaime Buckley...
Demoni Vankil (Hobin Luckyfeller's Fieldguides, #1) WANTED:HERO The Truth About Lies WANTED:HERO - No Experience Necessary... Race to Til-Thorin, Part 1 (Chronicles of a Hero) Race to Til-Thorin (Chronicles of a Hero, #1)

“There comes a moment in every life when the Universe presents you with an opportunity to rise to your potential. An open door that only requires the heart to walk through, seize it and hang on.
The choice is never simple. It’s never easy. It’s not supposed to be. But those who travel this path have always looked back and realized
that the test was always about the heart. ...The rest is just practice.”
11 likes
“Nothing is truly free. Every gift has a price, paid for by someone in coin, favors, expectations or goods.
Things get a little sticky when Life shows up wanting to collect on something you thought was free.
Always ask the price.”