Start by marking “No Lease on Life” as Want to Read:
No Lease on Life

No Lease on Life

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  12 reviews
It's 5:00 a.m. and Elizabeth Hall can't sleep. She sits at her apartment

window, entertaining murderous fantasies, while on the street below morons smash bottles,

flip trash cans, vomit, and dance. Elizabeth struggles heroically to keep her wits,

whether fighting with her landlord, the housing agency, or simply trying to survive.

Twenty-four hours later the morons are back
Audiobook, unabridged, 0 pages
Published December 21st 2010 by Iambik Audio Inc. (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about No Lease on Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Lease on Life

MJ Nicholls
What is better? Life in a hushed towerblock on the town’s outskirts where nothing but the clinking of champagne flues and the twittering of middlebrow bourgeois (hasn’t Mad Men gone downhill? OMG Twin Peaks is coming back!!!) from the flats below can be heard; or life in a streetside tenement with the thrum and rumble of the traffic (HONK! move your stinking Renault!) and pedestrians; or life in a Ballardian high-rise where filth and trash are dumped in the corridors, stoners practice their musi ...more
Sam
Patrick Ewing was sweating, drenched. A.C. kept talking to the cops on the car phone. O.J. wanted to go to his mother, to his home or to the cemetary, to Nicole's grave. Starks missed a basket. Elizabeth started to cry.
—What's the matter, Roy asked. The Knicks are winning.
If he did it, anyone could do it. No one was safe from each other or from themselves. He wants to go home to his mother.
—I just saw him in Naked Gun 33 1/3. He was funny, she said.
—The first Naked Gun was funnier.

and Mackey Sas
Lori
from publisher

Listened 5/29/12 - 6/15/12
4 Stars - Strongly Recommended to lovers of the cynical and insomniacial
Audio Download (approx 5 hrs)
Publisher: Iambik Audio / Cursor, Red Lemonade

I have been Elizabeth. Not in NYC, but in the Pocono's. In a gated development, on a quarter acre of land, in a house on a street that is draped in trees. Most developments are gated to keep the riff-raff out. Mine, we joke, is gated to keep the riff-raff in.

The outer walls of my home are extremely thin. I lie i
Megan
Dec 04, 2009 Megan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Megan by: mary
i liked this quite a lot. very strong voice, third-person limited used in a way i haven't seen before, something like "mrs. dalloway," i.e., assocational, memories stacked, triggered by setting; with an archness and cynicism appropriate for 90s nyc. very funny in parts, with jokes scattered throughout, breaking up the narration.

There was nothing Elizabeth could do about Jeanine, the elusiveness of sleep, or the stagnant effects of memory. Sleep wouldn't absolve her anyway. It wasn't her friend
Dan
Elizabeth is a woman tortured by the elements surrounding her apartment: The morons breaking car windows outside, the super who hordes trash instead of cleaning it up, the junkies and hookers polluting the hallway. As Tillman paints a picture of New York City, circa the OJ trial/Knicks vs. Rockets finals, something odd happens to the reader: He/she becomes engulfed in Elizabeth's life, her struggles, even her occurring neurotic obsession to murder the kids making noise outside her window. Normal ...more
Steve
Mid 4. Simply adored how the narrator offers such a vibrant and realistic snapshot of the social malaise affecting the late twentieth century urban landscape. The reader can feel the claustrophobic existence of the apartment dweller as she observes the outcasts and predators on the streets below. So well-written and such a fantastic portrayal of New York street-life.
Jessica
Lynne Tillman doing again what she does so well, step into a persona and never leave it to the point of consistency that borders on flatness. This book was amusing and sad.
Alison
Very dark, very funny and beautifully written book about shitty neighbors, awful landlords and the uneasy compromise of living in a New York City that doesn't exist anymore.
Kio Stark
I really love Tillman's detachment, both the narrator and the central character are deliciously clinical here.
Les
Funny and caustic, NY in the 90s.
Richard Chiem
one of my favorite novels
Tom Falcone
Tom Falcone marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Lizsport500
Lizsport500 marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
P. M.
P. M. marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Ashley Harris
Ashley Harris is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2015
Meagan Proctor Kavouras
Meagan Proctor Kavouras marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Myles Curtis
Myles Curtis marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
ashley
ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Konishka
Konishka marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
  • The Alligators of Abraham
  • Revenge of the Mooncake Vixen
  • Oh Pure and Radiant Heart
  • Paradoxia: A Predator's Diary
Here’s an Author’s Bio. It could be written differently. I’ve written many for myself and read lots of other people’s. None is right or sufficient, each slants one way or the other. So, a kind of fiction – selection of events and facts.. So let me just say: I wanted to be a writer since I was eight years old. That I actually do write stories and novels and essays, and that they get published, stil ...more
More about Lynne Tillman...
American Genius Someday This Will Be Funny Haunted Houses This is Not It What Would Lynne Tillman Do?

“How many performance artists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
I don't know. I left early.”
2 likes