Start by marking “No Lease on Life” as Want to Read:
No Lease on Life

No Lease on Life

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  12 reviews
It's 5:00 a.m. and Elizabeth Hall can't sleep. She sits at her apartment

window, entertaining murderous fantasies, while on the street below morons smash bottles,

flip trash cans, vomit, and dance. Elizabeth struggles heroically to keep her wits,

whether fighting with her landlord, the housing agency, or simply trying to survive.

Twenty-four hours later the morons are back
Audiobook, unabridged, 0 pages
Published December 21st 2010 by Iambik Audio Inc. (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about No Lease on Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Lease on Life

MJ Nicholls
What is better? Life in a hushed towerblock on the town’s outskirts where nothing but the clinking of champagne flues and the twittering of middlebrow bourgeois (hasn’t Mad Men gone downhill? OMG Twin Peaks is coming back!!!) from the flats below can be heard; or life in a streetside tenement with the thrum and rumble of the traffic (HONK! move your stinking Renault!) and pedestrians; or life in a Ballardian high-rise where filth and trash are dumped in the corridors, stoners practice their musi ...more
Sam
Patrick Ewing was sweating, drenched. A.C. kept talking to the cops on the car phone. O.J. wanted to go to his mother, to his home or to the cemetary, to Nicole's grave. Starks missed a basket. Elizabeth started to cry.
—What's the matter, Roy asked. The Knicks are winning.
If he did it, anyone could do it. No one was safe from each other or from themselves. He wants to go home to his mother.
—I just saw him in Naked Gun 33 1/3. He was funny, she said.
—The first Naked Gun was funnier.

and Mackey Sas
Lori
from publisher

Listened 5/29/12 - 6/15/12
4 Stars - Strongly Recommended to lovers of the cynical and insomniacial
Audio Download (approx 5 hrs)
Publisher: Iambik Audio / Cursor, Red Lemonade

I have been Elizabeth. Not in NYC, but in the Pocono's. In a gated development, on a quarter acre of land, in a house on a street that is draped in trees. Most developments are gated to keep the riff-raff out. Mine, we joke, is gated to keep the riff-raff in.

The outer walls of my home are extremely thin. I lie i
Megan
Dec 04, 2009 Megan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Megan by: mary
i liked this quite a lot. very strong voice, third-person limited used in a way i haven't seen before, something like "mrs. dalloway," i.e., assocational, memories stacked, triggered by setting; with an archness and cynicism appropriate for 90s nyc. very funny in parts, with jokes scattered throughout, breaking up the narration.

There was nothing Elizabeth could do about Jeanine, the elusiveness of sleep, or the stagnant effects of memory. Sleep wouldn't absolve her anyway. It wasn't her friend
Dan
Elizabeth is a woman tortured by the elements surrounding her apartment: The morons breaking car windows outside, the super who hordes trash instead of cleaning it up, the junkies and hookers polluting the hallway. As Tillman paints a picture of New York City, circa the OJ trial/Knicks vs. Rockets finals, something odd happens to the reader: He/she becomes engulfed in Elizabeth's life, her struggles, even her occurring neurotic obsession to murder the kids making noise outside her window. Normal ...more
Steve
Simply adored how the narrator offers such a vibrant and realistic snapshot of the social malaise affecting the late twentieth century urban landscape. The reader can feel the claustrophobic existence of the apartment dweller as she observes the outcasts and predators on the streets below. So well-written and such a fantastic portrayal of New York street-life.
Jessica
Lynne Tillman doing again what she does so well, step into a persona and never leave it to the point of consistency that borders on flatness. This book was amusing and sad.
Alison
Very dark, very funny and beautifully written book about shitty neighbors, awful landlords and the uneasy compromise of living in a New York City that doesn't exist anymore.
Kio Stark
I really love Tillman's detachment, both the narrator and the central character are deliciously clinical here.
Les
Funny and caustic, NY in the 90s.
Richard Chiem
one of my favorite novels
Hester Thorpe
Hester Thorpe marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Carl
Carl marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Gabby
Gabby marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
megan
megan marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Anthony Vacca
Anthony Vacca marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Abhinaya
Abhinaya marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Bucky
Bucky marked it as to-read
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Maurice Alexander
Maurice Alexander marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Izzy
Izzy marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Carina
Carina marked it as to-read
The
The marked it as to-read
idk
idk marked it as to-read
Cat Murphy
Cat Murphy marked it as to-read
Anton
Anton marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Oh Pure and Radiant Heart
  • Paradoxia: A Predator's Diary
  • Mulligan Stew
  • Almost No Memory
Here’s an Author’s Bio. It could be written differently. I’ve written many for myself and read lots of other people’s. None is right or sufficient, each slants one way or the other. So, a kind of fiction – selection of events and facts.. So let me just say: I wanted to be a writer since I was eight years old. That I actually do write stories and novels and essays, and that they get published, stil ...more
More about Lynne Tillman...
Someday This Will Be Funny American Genius Haunted Houses This is Not It Bookstore: The Life and Times of Jeannette Watson and Books & Co.

“How many performance artists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
I don't know. I left early.”
2 likes