Start by marking “Should Christians Embrace Evolution: Biblical & Scientific Responses” as Want to Read:
Should Christians Embrace Evolution: Biblical & Scientific Responses

Should Christians Embrace Evolution: Biblical & Scientific Responses

Thirteen scientists and theologians examine the claim that Christians must either embrace evolution or be opposed to science. They set out a clear framework for relevant biblical, theological, and scientific issues and answer crucial questions.
Published May 30th 2011 by P & R Publishing (first published November 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Should Christians Embrace Evolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Should Christians Embrace Evolution

John Brackbill
Dec 26, 2011 John Brackbill rated it liked it
This book is a really two brief books in one comprised of essays from various authors. The first half deals with biblical arguments against evolution and therefore theistic evolution. The second half deals with scientific issues in relation to evolution.

The concluding chapter and summary of book answers the question of the title this way: "Our answer is a resounding 'no'--absolutely not. Theistic evolutionists have failed to demonstrate a theology consistent with the supremacy of Scripture" (21
Lis Carey
Jun 24, 2013 Lis Carey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
I had hoped and expected this book to be a serious discussion of the relationship between science and religion, and how when approached seriously and openly, each can inform and enlighten the other. Instead, this collection of essays is an apologia for Young Earth Creationism and Intelligent Design, with the voices of believing Christians who are engaged with science nowhere permitted to speak for themselves.

Raised as a Catholic in the 1960s, I was taught from diocesan-approved textbooks that sa
Jacob Stevens
The middling rating could be that I had higher expectations for this book. I expected an entry-level look into Biblical and scientific reasons to cast a skeptical look at the theory of evolution. However, the book was primarily a response to Denis Alexander's book on theistic evolution. Most of the authors did not interact, specifically with the theory of evolution but with the model of theistic evolution that Alexander brought forth. The theology section was, in my opinion, better than the ...more
Mike Jorgensen
Oct 23, 2016 Mike Jorgensen rated it it was ok
Shelves: theology
This was required reading for a course I took from a different seminary than the one I go to. It is a bit myopic and tends to straw-man alternate positions. The titular question is obviously rhetorical and the answer is negative. The responses come from some respectable scholars, but I thought the tone of the book was negative, the content unhelpful, and the conclusions unconvincing. I would not recommend this to most Christians and certainly hope a non-Christian wouldn't stumble across this.
Mark James
Dec 14, 2012 Mark James rated it really liked it
While some of the scientific articles can be complex and technical, despite the obviousness that they tried to dumb it down to a lay level, there are still some helpful scientific chapters in here. The theological chapters are for the most part well-done. Overall, this is a helpful book, but I'm not sure if it would help the average lay church person. I think it would have to be further distilled by the pastor/elder to help the congregation better understand it. Apparently this book was written ...more
Brinn Clayton
Feb 02, 2015 Brinn Clayton rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book. It was not an easy read. The chapters on the science problems, were technical. I am not strong in science. The writers and editors handled this subject carefully and thoroughly. They examine the theological issues of Theistic Evolution and the scientific issues with Neo-Darwinism.
The book challenges the ability to bring together Biblical teaching of Creation, Death, Adam and soteriology with Neo-Darwinian Evolution as God's tool of creating the universe. It also addresses the
Jimes
Dec 28, 2011 Jimes rated it really liked it
Definitely geared more toward Christians and those who like to dig into some of the theological issues around evolution. It could definitely seem a little technical sometimes. Most of the book focuses on the theological difficulties of believing in evolution (Adam and Eve not the first humans which makes some of Paul's arguments less weighty, there was no real Fall as there was death in the world for a long time before the Fall even though the Bible calls it the "last enemy", etc.). The ...more
Rob Steinbach
Dec 12, 2014 Rob Steinbach rated it liked it
Great read in this topic adequately demonstrating the untenable position of theistic evolution. I loved the combination of theology and science. You'll need a background in biology to get some of the chapters. The intro by Heiden is also great!
Ian Hammond
Feb 21, 2016 Ian Hammond rated it liked it
Some good chapters. Some bad chapters. The bad ones, I thought, were anti-scientific. At times it seemed that they were pitting God's general and special revelation against each other. Also, some chapters took a very low few of common grace. The good chapters were very good though.
Nathan Mladin
The kind of book I've been looking for, one that teases out the theological implications of adopting an evolutionary framework for creation.
Marcus
Marcus rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2014
Alasdair Peterson
Alasdair Peterson rated it liked it
James
James rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2012
Hamid
Hamid rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2013
Scott Carter
Scott Carter rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2015
Rachel
I liked it. ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2013
Amy Ivey
Amy Ivey rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2013
Dennis
Dennis rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Dan Sundersingh
Dan Sundersingh rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2015
Alex
Alex rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2012
Staci Johnson
Staci Johnson rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2012
Pete
Pete rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2015
Laura rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2015
Daniel Wells
Daniel Wells rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2012
Ryan Swale
Ryan Swale rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2014
Dave Anderson
Dave Anderson rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2014
Daniel Ellis
Daniel Ellis rated it really liked it
Iain Hamill
Iain Hamill rated it liked it
Professor Emeritus of Medical Genetics, Queen's University, Belfast
More about Norman C. Nevin...