Start by marking “Blue Horse Dreaming” as Want to Read:
Blue Horse Dreaming

Blue Horse Dreaming

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  63 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Blue Horse Dreaming is the story of Abigail Buwell, who is kidnapped by a Native American tribe and later redeemed by U.S. military troops. Distraught at being returned, Abigail views her redemption as yet another captivity with freedom still agonizingly out of reach. Ultimately, she remains a captive on many levels?in the shackles of otherness, language, physical confinem ...more
Published March 1st 2005 by MacAdam/Cage Publishing (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Horse Dreaming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Horse Dreaming

Jennifer Miera
Oct 30, 2008 Jennifer Miera added it
Recommends it for: literary historical fiction lovers
Brutal, but moving. I don't even know what to say about this book. It was beautiful, stark, heart-wrenching. I have a thing for Indian captive stories, but not the bodice-ripper trash that is so prevalent. The stories where the captives wanted to remain with the tribes who stole them and were incorporated into the Native culture. The story of Abigail Buwell, the "redeemed" captive, and Major Cutter parallel eachother in tragic ways.
Kristi
May 28, 2010 Kristi rated it it was amazing
This book is truly AMAZING! I was totally hooked and couldn't put the book down. The story is heart rending, but wonderful. The imagery the author puts in your head is amazing...sometimes amazingly beautiful, and sometimes amazingly sad...but still amazing! Beautiful book! I will definitely be reading this one again!
Booknblues
Jan 24, 2016 Booknblues rated it liked it
Shelves: bnb
Blue Horse Dreaming has an etheral quality to it. Abigail Buwell is saved from the Indians although she doesn't want to be and taken to a lonely fort which does not have enough supplies, is under attack from Indians and has an outbreak of an deadly epidemic.
While this sounds as if it may be exciting, i found that the book had such emptiness to it that it was a listless ride.
It was one of those reads that as much as I wanted I couldn't attach myself to any of the characters.
Chris Maier
Feb 26, 2016 Chris Maier rated it it was amazing
Best I've read in a long time. Original style, so fresh and haunting. So tragic.
Genean
Nov 19, 2011 Genean rated it really liked it
Shelves: drama
This book has a sad and eerie feel that dogs the footsteps of any pioneer traveller seeking their future across the west of America. It's sense of disenfranchisement from family, it's dereliction and abuse caused by isolation and it's mighty sense of loss by way of brutal confrontation. It's a book which breaths the arid semi dessert with it's haggard entrails of hope clinging to whatever became of the last outpost's sanity. To say the west was won without failure is a fools wish for glory. This ...more
Sam
Apr 02, 2016 Sam rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
Incredibly depressing. I generally do not mind traumatic when the story supports it but this was bleak. Some will love it but I just could not wait for it to end so I could return my borrowed copy.
Hayley
Jul 22, 2011 Hayley rated it did not like it
It had a good idea for the plot, but was poorly written, long-winded and disjointed. Not worth the time.
Samantha Vamos
Aug 06, 2011 Samantha Vamos rated it really liked it
Poignant and unique. Another favorite.
Zozetta
Dec 05, 2015 Zozetta rated it really liked it
Εξαιρετικό!
SJF
Sep 10, 2009 SJF rated it it was amazing
savage
Nancy Mckinstry
Nancy Mckinstry marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Margkw
Margkw marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
George Spirakis
George Spirakis marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Asimamar
Asimamar marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
louisa
louisa rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2016
Maddison
Maddison marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Georgia Melode Hole
Georgia Melode Hole rated it did not like it
Jun 28, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Cara Mackay
Cara Mackay marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Christina Spyropoulou
Christina Spyropoulou rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Elena Graphics
Elena Graphics marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Elaine Roden
Elaine Roden rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Kailind
Kailind marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Hannah Maier
Hannah Maier rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Veranna
Veranna rated it it was ok
Apr 23, 2016
Dimitris Iosifidis
Dimitris Iosifidis rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Nikkole
Nikkole rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Panagiotis Kanavos
Panagiotis Kanavos rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Melanie Wallace was born and raised in Manchester, New Hampshire, and now lives with her husband in Myloi, an agrarian village below the Ohi mountain range in Greece, and in Paris.

Wallace's novel "The Housekeeper" was longlisted for the 2007 Orange Prize.
More about Melanie Wallace...