Start by marking “The Case of the Missing Family” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Missing Family

The Case of the Missing Family (Buddy Files #3)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Buddy has settled in with his adopted family, but he’s never given up on finding his beloved human, Kayla, and his first family.One night he sees people taking things out of Kayla’s old house and loading them into a van. What’s up?In the middle of the night Buddy decides to make a daring move, leaving everything to find Kayla.Dori Butler’s third chapter book in The Buddy F ...more
Published June 7th 2011 by Albert Whitman & Company (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Missing Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Missing Family

Seikaiha
It had been kind of special for me to read dog stories for quite a long time in the past. I even often wept on TV dramas with a dog. I lost my dog when I was around seven. It was a snowy day. He liked snow as most Akita dogs do. So, my father took his leash off the collar to let him play on his own. Back then the laws were not so strict on taking care of our dogs. He didn't come back. We searched him for days. He seemed to run after a delivery guy of newspaper or milk the next morning. Maybe I'm ...more
Amy
I've been reading books from this series with my 7yr old. She loves them and the way they "keep her guessing". I find them predictable of course but I love reading with her and I love that she enjoys them.
Della
These books are very cute for early chapter readers. My 7 year old and I enjoy reading them together.
Jessica
See my review of The Buddy Files #1 The Case of the Lost Boy.
Marblesaurus
It was so good. Dog lovers must read this. I've never had a dog, but enjoyed these three books a lot. Finally King/Buddy could his long lost human Kayla and came to a conclusion about which human he's going to live with. I hope the author will write more Buddy books and I'm sure there will be, because Buddy has just passed a test to become a therapy dog at school.
LJ
The mystery of Buddy's missing family is carried through the first three books. The plots are well organized and at the right level for six- to nine-year-old readers. I enjoyed the first three books immensely and look forward to reading the next ones. I can't wait to see what my grandchildren think. The ONLY reason I don't rate these a 5 is . . . I don't know!
W.H. Beck
I love this early chapter book series by Dori Hillestad Butler! More importantly, my eight year old does. In this book, Buddy (formerly known as King) finally tracks down his first owner Kayla and finds out why he was put in the P-O-U-N-D. But then, what to do? Should he go back to Kayla or stay with his new owner, Connor, who also needs him?
Janice
Buddy is a mystery solving dog...a skill he learned from his previous owner. He now puts his skills to use to find his old family because he is sure they are not "That Word" (dead). He's been adopted by a nice new family that is training him to be a therapy dog so he can go to school and be read to.
Kelly
I'm glad that we finally solved the case of what happened to Buddy's family. Interesting for a series to make a case carry over for three books, but I liked it. I'm glad Buddy found his old family and knows what happened to them. They aren't, that word, that Mouse always wants to say.
Smilinhere
Read to my son (7-yr old) he LOVED it (he's also a dog-lover)

The story is written from the dog's point of view & by changing my voice a few times - with each dog ... made it TONS of fun for me & my boys!! :) My prayer is she will add more books to this collection! :)
Bkwmn
Jan 31, 2012 Bkwmn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 2nd and 3rd graders
I really enjoyed reading the first in this series to my second graders...I wanted to read this to find out what happened Buddy's family...cute story, but raps up a little too neatly...maybe it is better as a read aloud?
Rachel
I really like how real the dog seems. His thought processes and mannerisms are really well-matched with current thoughts on dog psychology and behavior, despite being a book for young kids.
Wakako Sugawara
This is my favorite series. In this case, Buddy solved most biggest mystery lately, so I'm very worried the series might be final. It was wrong, series will be continued!!!
Christi
In book 3 of the Buddy Files series, Buddy finally figures out the answer to what has happened to his first family.
Wesley
I liked that it was about a dog. The title is kind of misleading because the book is not really much of a mystery.
Karen Arendt
Buddy/King finds Kayla but learns a tough lesson about fmaily.
Lauren
It was good! Buddy had to find where his people, Kayla and Mom, went.
Mary
The adventures of King/Buddy and his old/new family.
Egan Smith
INteresting book. It took me two weeks to read it!
Tony
Tony marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Anya
Anya marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Loisa
Loisa added it
Mar 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Never Swim in Applesauce (Roscoe Riley Rules, #4)
  • The Case of the Weird Blue Chicken: The Next Misadventure (Chicken Squad Adventure, #2)
  • The Fenway Foul-Up (Ballpark Mysteries, #1)
  • Leroy Ninker Saddles Up (Tales from Deckawoo Drive, #1)
  • Alvin Ho: Allergic to Camping, Hiking, and Other Natural Disasters (Alvin Ho, #2)
  • Jasper John Dooley: Star of the Week
  • Tales of Bunjitsu Bunny
  • Love, Mouserella
  • Like Carrot Juice on a Cupcake (Eleanor, #3)
  • February Friend (Calendar Mysteries, #2)
  • Melonhead
  • Violet Mackerel's Brilliant Plot (Violet Mackerel, #1)
  • LOST! A Dog Called Bear
  • Sophie The Awesome
  • The Case of the Spooky Sleepover (Jigsaw Jones Mystery #4)
  • Anna Hibiscus
  • The Case of the Vanishing Golden Frogs: A Scientific Mystery
  • Amelia Bedelia Means Business (Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books #1)
Dori Hillestad Butler grew up writing, for she had no brothers or sisters to play with until she was eight years old. The first book she published was The Great Tooth Fairy Rip-Off , it took her many years to sell that book, followed by four more picture books. She then started writing YA books short stories have appeared in anthologies entitled, The Green Umbrella and Other Sports Stories (Hig ...more
More about Dori Hillestad Butler...

Buddy Files (6 books)
  • The Case of the Lost Boy (The Buddy Files, #1)
  • The Case of the Mixed-Up Mutts (The Buddy Files, #2)
  • The Case of the Fire Alarm
  • The Case of the Library Monster
  • The Case of the School Ghost (The Buddy Files, #6)
The Truth about Truman School Do You Know the Monkey Man? The Case of the Lost Boy (The Buddy Files, #1) Yes, I Know the Monkey Man The Case of the Library Monster