Start by marking “Who's That Girl?” as Want to Read:
Who's That Girl?

Who's That Girl?

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  3,854 ratings  ·  283 reviews

If only you knew then what you know now . . . Imagine if you could go back ten years and meet your younger self – would you recognise her? And what advice would you give?

Wear sunscreen!

Back away from those PVC trousers?

DON’T give that idiot your phone number?

Lemon juice won’t bleach your hair – it just attracts wasps . . .

He's the one - don't let him go!

For Charlotte

Published (first published December 23rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Who's That Girl?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who's That Girl?

Who's That Girl? By Alexandra Potter
As I felt before with Alexandra Potter’s books, I think she picks great ideas and then doesn’t develop them enough.
The great idea here was: what if you could travel back in time and advise yourself not to make the same mistakes you did?
The poor development was:
1. The first 30% of the book was utter B.O.R.E.D.O.M.E.! You have to force yourself through it. I mean, if I buy a book about travelling back in time I can’t wait for it to happen! She makes you wait 11
Simply amazing. A magical story that makes you reflect and ponder what you are doing in life and if you are really happy in what you are doing now?

Charlotte Merryweather is 31, successful, owns a PR agency, has her own apartment, dresses in designer wears, has a boyfriend and a very very busy and hectic lifestyle.
But, is she happy?

Out of the sudden, while out driving, she saw a girl who looks like her, 10 yrs ago.
And chance upon a guy whom she did not notice 10yrs ago.
What happened next is simpl
Intriguing premise, not well executed......and tedious.
This could have been a great story if the author had actually committed to what she was setting out to create, but she didn't seem to know how to actually do that.
If the story is about going back in time to help yourself make other decisions, then the characters should do that and as an author you should do that and not have it that she can't actually change anything. Other wise you've wasted not only the character's time, but also mine and

Reading the back of the book, I admit I was already excited at the idea of this story. I was thinking a little too much along the lines of "being Erica" (goggle it if you don’t know it as if you enjoyed this book you will enjoy the TV series) and perhaps even a little sci-fi-ish....? (I said ish). I know it’s a chick-lit but come-on, it’s time travel all mixed into the pot!
I thought Charlotte was a little dumb at times, I doubted she was made of the hard stuff a women needs to have to survive in
This book is utterly boring!! The going back in time is barely explored... I expected some general end-line moral about how you shouldn't change your past because it would change who you are, BUT some things she should have changed!! By not changing it, and by mentioning what she didn't change, the author added sadness to an already dreadful book.
Plus i felt like the biggest part of the book was about her job, B.O.R.I.N.G.
Aug 12, 2015 Curious rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chick lit and Alexandra Poter fans
Shelves: chick-lit
The character tries to stop herself doing the mistakes she did when she was younger (Now that she knows it was wrong!) but she can't stop it. It is how it was supposed to happen.

I didn't understand the end. Did she dream of herself when she was 21 because of the medicines or what?
It has a happy ending, but it seems to me that something is missing.

Overall impressions: something is missing.
I got about a 1/3 of the way through the book, but it is just boring. The premise is reasonably intersting, but the writing is just dull. I wouldn't recommend it, but maybe someone else would enjoy it.
Norah Sumner
''OK, so I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm relaxed as such, but who is these days? I run a company. I have a mortgage, and responsibilities, and lines round my eyes to take care of. I mean, it's not like I'm twenty-one any more.And thank goodness.''

Okay,this was such a fun book.Like all Alexandra's characters,Charlotte(one of my favourite names,btw)is sooo relatable and lovable.She might be a PR manager,but she's not as serious as her title say she is.She changed a lot since her twenties-she t
Elle Temu
Why I decided to read this book?
I was looking through the library for a new book I would read, I saw the title and it reminded me of a well-known song so I thought I would grab it and read the synopsis. The synopsis made me want to read the book even more.

What category on the bingo board this book completes?
The category this book completes is a book with a female main character. I find it really interesting reading books about other females. It gives me an insight on how other females live and
Amy Herbert
Genuinely the worst book I have ever read. You can accurately predict the entire plot after a few chapters, it's hideously cliched in every way, dialogue, plot, structure, characters. Don't even get me started on Oliver, the guy Charlotte (who talks to herself every other sentence using her own name encase you forgot what it was) inexplicably hates on sight and in an amazing plot twist, ends up falling in love with him after two minutes. Charlotte even tells her boyfriend when they break up 'its ...more
My first Alexandra Potter book was Going La La and after that I read Be Careful What You Wish For. I’ve also read Me & Mr Darcy but can’t really remember it. Who’s That Girl? is more in the Me & Mr Darcy vein that the other two as both main characters see – apparently – someone from long ago – Mr Darcy in Me & Mr Darcy and Charlotte see’s her twenty-one-year-old self Lottie.

I enjoyed the book in as much as it was an easy, told-in-first-person read and didn’t seem the 363 pages it act
Imagine if one day, you had the opportunity to meet your younger self? What would you tell this person? Would you have any specific advice for them?

This is exactly what happened to Charlotte Merryweather, a successful public relations executive in London. At age 31, she has her own PR firm, a stylish wardrobe, a personal trainer and what would seem like the perfect boyfriend for the perfect life. Underneath it all, is a stressed out executive who at the bottom of her heart, wonders if she's mad
This is the second book that I read written by Alexandra Potter(The first is Me and Mr.Darcy, pretty boring to be honest!!) and I am SURPRISED how much I'm fond of it despite they are from the same author -.-

Most fantasy book make their characters able to change what they've done wrong during time travel, however Charlotte/Lottie(I prefer Lottie actually) didn't succed instead she understands the fact that maybe after 10 years, the moment to start with Mr.Barman right is finally right. Being abl
I liked this book.
It raised some interesting questions, ok it's daft how she gets to time travel to meet her younger self but come on how many of us would love to do that? Or loathe to do that, but either way you probably have feelings about that.
The interesting point is there is a young girl - she doesn't have much - but she has the freedom that comes with not having much.
Then you have the older, more regal self who has all the things you think an adult should have, or nearly - she's not quite
Bettina Lippenberger
Das Leben könnte nicht besser laufen. Charlotte früher Lottie genannt, hat einen Freund, mit dem sie sich nie streitet. Eine PR Agentur, tolle Freunde und alles was man sich mit 31 so wünschen kann. Ihr Leben gerät ins Wanken, als sie eine Straße entlang fährt und urplötzlich ihren alten VW Käfer vorbei fahren sieht. Am Steuer ihr 21 jähriges Ich. Was soll das bedeuten? Hat sie Halluzinationen? Sie freundet sich mit ihrem früheren Ich an. Versucht sogar ihr Ratschläge für ein besseres Leb
Belinda Whiting
Awesome, fun, light easy read
"She's just..." he pauses, as if searching around for the right word, then finally finds it.
"The first time I saw her, it was boom."
"Yeah, boom. That was it...I'd fallen in love."
- Oliver to Charlotte

- Upon reading the synopsis of the book, I got very intrigued and my interest was piqued sooo I immediately read it. It started kind of slow but the wait is bearable. As I dive into the story more, my affection for the book grows more and more as I try to finish it. It
Rebekah Moan
I REALLY liked this book. I haven't read so many books of Alexandra's but from what I can tell so far is that she writes quirky, unexpected books. She turns predictable chick lit on its head but still manages to provide a happy ending.

About this one in particular, I identified a lot with Charlotte as I'm a type A, OCD-ish person myself. I'm also far too busy for my own good. Reading this book there were some pleasant surprises that I didn't see coming. The writing kept me engaged, the characters
Fiona Bauer
I wished the time-travel changing-the-past theme was more developed. In the end the book should have been mostly about that, instead I felt it was not explored enough. Also some bits are a bit boring.

Other then that, it was a cute romantic comedy and I love a bit of magic mixed in.
Monica Walsh
Up against other chick lit, this book isn't great. The potential is there, but the execution was off. And all because of the time travelling. It was just too unbelievable. Other than that I really enjoyed it.

The plot is good, the characters well done (in terms of chick lit remember) and the ending was too fraught. It followed the same lines of those that have come before. I see why they added the time travel element - it's the point of difference. But it just hasn't worked. The premise is good -
Инна Гецова
Четенето върви много бавно. Първо, защото аз съм човек, който не обича сюжети с работохолици. Действието става бавно и всъщност пътуването във времето се извършва чак от 94-та страница, когато Шарлот среща по-младото си аз. Самата героиня е с няколко дразнещи характеристики. Страда от какви ли не алергии... не може да яде това, не може да пие онова... супер досадно. Идва ми твърде повече да чета постоянно за кариерата ѝ, което може би е причината защо чета толкова бавно книгата, по няколко стран ...more
The main theme is not explored, she talks more about her job (it felt like 70% of the book was about her PR agency), she doesn't fix the only thing she should have fixed from her past. And the pace is slow as hell!
Инна Гецова
Определено книгата не ме грабна никак силно. Доста време стоя на нощното ми шкафче, дори нямам желание да я продължа. Авторката прекалено много време е отнела да описва живота на една работохоличка с множество алергии и страхове... Дори незнаеща защо е с приятеля си и какво харесва в него. Изключително слаба творба. Бяха други очакванията ми за нея. Уви, никога не съм очаквала, че като захвана книга и ще я изоставя, дори недовършена. Просто нямам сили да продължа. Никога не съм очаквала, че може ...more
Was wäre wenn ich meinem jüngeren Ich noch einmal begegnen würde? Was würde ich für Ratschläge geben? Was würde ich gerne anders machen wollen?
10 Jahren zurück würden mir nicht reichen, 12 Jahre bräuchte ich. Nicht um die damalige Trennung zu verhindern (vielleicht doch?) aber ich würde mit der Trennung hoffentlich anders umgehen und ich hätte nicht so ein Trauma davon getragen.

Aber andererseits mag ich mich heute so wie ich bin und wenn mein Leben anders gelaufen wäre, dann würde ich nicht so
Just finished it and can't stop smiling…

When I started to read i found it a bit lame, thought "where is the story, come to the point.." But after a while it got me. Maybe because in 1997 I was also 21 and of course I started to think about myself that age. How cool we all were and with hindsight, how silly it seems now. But at the end, that's how we became what we are now, didn't we?

Yes, at some point the story is predictable. Maybe because we all read to much chick-lit over the years. But I do
Violet Prior
Really enjoyed reading this book, and the idea is very original I loved it <3
At first, I enjoyed the story. I liked the level of detail that Potter describes and admire her ability to capture the main character's drive and focus on career. However, when the question of being who one wants to be or be who one truly is, arises, I found myself getting somewhat confused by all of the back and forth between time periods and character interactions. Though the confusion remains -- even in the character's -- mind, I can't help feeling a bit disappointed by Charlotte's complete a ...more
Od autorky som už predtým čítala inú knihu (nehovoriac o kope iných chick-lit), takže som mala určité očakávania, ale bola som príjemne prekvapená, kniha mala úplne inú atmosféru. Aj keď trochu sa mi podobala na Remember me a Bohyňa v domácnosti od Sophie Kinsella, rozhodne ju však považujem za lepšiu ako Daj si pozor na želania. Dala som za ňu len 4 a možno aj vďaka tomu som naozaj nadšená.

Hlavná hrdinka je workoholička a hypochondrička, ktorá stretne svoje 21-ročné ja, ktoré je jej úplný opak.
  • Bridesmaids
  • 50 Ways To Find A Lover (Sarah Sargeant, #1)
  • Getting Away with It
  • Here Come the Girls
  • The Love of Her Life
  • Divas
  • Getting Over Mr Right
  • Late Night Shopping (Annie Valentine, #2)
  • Lizzie Jordan's Secret Life
  • I Heart Hollywood (I Heart, #2)
  • The Scent of Scandal
Alexandra Potter is the best-selling author of TEN romantic comedies (soon to be eleven when her latest novel, Love From Paris, is published summer 2015). Born in England, she has lived in London, Sydney, Australia and New York and LA, and can currently be found clocking up too many air miles travelling the globe researching ideas for her new book...
instagram: al
More about Alexandra Potter...

“And so taking the long way home through the market I slow my pace down. It doesn't come naturally. My legs are programmed to trot briskly and my arms to pump up and down like pistons, but I force myself to stroll past the stalls and pavement cafes. To enjoy just being somewhere, rather than rushing from somewhere, to somewhere. Inhaling deep lungfuls of air, instead of my usual shallow breaths. I take a moment to just stop and look around me. And smile to myself.
For the first time in a long time, I can, quite literally, smell the coffee.”
“Life isn't complicated. It's very simple, really. It's us who make it complicated.” 24 likes