Start by marking “Turkey: A Short History” as Want to Read:
Turkey: A Short History

Turkey: A Short History

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A virtuoso performance by historian Norman Stone, who has lived and worked in the country since 1997, this concise survey of Turkeys relations with its immediate neighbours and the wider world from the 11th century to the present day. Stone deftly conducts the reader through this story, from the arrival of the Seljuks in Anatolia in the eleventh century to the modern repub ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Thames & Hudson

To ask other readers questions about Turkey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Turkey

Saskia Watson
I'm going to be one of those annoying people and give 2,5 stars, something I've never resorted to. I really had to struggle through the first half of the book. At first I thought it was because I didn't know many names and a lot of the information was new for me (hence the reason I read this in the first place). After a while, some things started to annoy me. First here's the constant references to the ethomology of words. Normaly I find this facinating, but since I don't speak Turkish I could n ...more
Jaime Fernandez
He leído la versión española. Libro útil para entender a grandes rasgos la historia turca, de la cual desconoZco casi todo. Baja puntuación porque no es muy ameno, con alguna parte farragosa, las referencias históricas de los países que conozco (España) son muy desacertadas, el tema del genocidio armenio lo tarta en un solo párrafo y las conclusiones finales se están probando erróneas (Erdogan)
Hemant
I had only heard about Ottoman empire and Ataturk before getting this book and wanted to know more about them. Norman Stone tells about these at a very good pace which doesn't let reading be boring. So if you are interested in History or planning to visit Turkey and want to understand more about it quickly, then this is the book for you. Very concise history.
Jacob
Pervasive copy editing oversights, obnoxious tangents, and sweeping and elementary analysis of extremely important events and periods. Also, the author denies the Armenian genocide and covers the event in a single page. One would expect a book to provide a bit more insight into the slaughter of 1.5 million of its subject's citizens.
Patrick
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

The challenge of a "short history" or "concise history" is it often tackles sweeping periods of history. Edward Gibbon's The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire takes six volumes. The history of Turkey is no less daunting, and Norman Stone takes on the challenge with verve, reducing centuries of economics, war, rise, decline, and so on to less than 200 pages. Of necessity, much is skimmed or skipped. Suleyman's siege of V
Dan Shonka
I received this book as a Goodreads Giveaway. Norman Stone does a fine job of summarizing the complex, complicated history of Turkey. It's relatively difficult to keep up with all the players, and Professor Stone's writing is often complicated with too many parenthetical remarks. That being said, his book holds a wealth of information about Turkey, and he illuminates how this pivotal country fits in with their European, Asian, and African neighbors in the present day. Ultimately, Stone's love of ...more
Pepe González
El libro se deja leer a duras penas. Stone parte del supuesto de que el lector tiene conocimientos mínimos del contexto geográfico, político e incluso histórico del país que aborda. De ser así, imagino que la lectura puede resultar grata. Si no (como fue mi caso) es necesario hacer constantes visitas a la enciclopedia para ahondar en personajes y datos relevantes. El estilo, si bien no es difícil de seguir, dista mucho de ser amigable.
رناتا
Demasiado breve para mí y muy enfocado a datos anecdóticos más que a generales. Esperaba que se centrase más en la época republicana y sin embargo da muy pocos datos acerca de la misma. Es una pena que en castellano haya tan poco disponible sobre Turquía y creo que hay otras obras de Norman Stone u otros autores que merecerían también ser traducidos al castellano.
Mark
This is a very accessible book that covers a very long period of history. Norman Stone presents events in a way that is continually interesting. Although major time periods are covered in a very summarised level, we still get the opportunity to learn about some of the key characters and characteristics that are unique to Turkey. This book is a good stepping stone into studying further on the key events and people of this country.
Skeetor
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
This is a scholarly book that is great as a refresher or reference on the history of Turkey.
I found that the author’s wit dispersed throughout the book served to enhance the historical facts and lighten the text. However, the book itself is more concise than I desired. In an effort to present a lot of information in a short text, some sentences were a little too long with too many clauses. Several times I had to slowly reread sentences
Will
Just facts. Not much narrative. One of the driest books I've read recently.
Philip
Good primer for Turkish history and starting to understand the complex history of the country and its people.
Janice
Thoroughly enjoyed the book. It was concise, providing a good picture of Turkey past to present. The author has a wry sense of humor that he uses appropriately and keeps the reading enjoyable. I would have liked a little more on Ataturk but realize the book is "A Short History." Highly recommend the book to history buffs who want to know more about this part of the world. This was a first reads giveaway.
Ricardo
Conciso. Demasiado factico. Es ante todo una historia politica. Por momentos se va del tema que esta tocando para detenerse en anecdotas puntuales que bien podrían haber sido una nota a pie de pagina. No le falta sentido del humor. La edición española de Akai viene con lindas ilustraciones en el inicio de cada capitulo pero un solo mapa sin mayores precisiones.
Ege
A fun read, with its humorous and humane approach. Informative in its well-rounded, concise interpretations and the illuminating connections it makes between different aspects of events. Thanks to Prof. Stone for a good introduction that holds the lay reader's hand in their wandering through this challenging subject.
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Thomas Maas
Thomas Maas marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
itmfiddler
itmfiddler marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
David Addiss
David Addiss marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Cornelius
Cornelius marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Wesam Karam
Wesam Karam marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Hdw
Hdw marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Karen W Slater
Karen W Slater is currently reading it
May 20, 2015
  • The Thieves' Opera
  • Obscene in the Extreme: The Burning and Banning of John Steinbeck's the Grapes of Wrath
  • The King of California: J.G. Boswell and the Making of a Secret American Empire
  • From Memory to Written Record: England 1066 - 1307
  • The Hollow Crown
  • Floods, Famines, And Emperors: El Nino And The Fate Of Civilizations
  • Communities of Violence: Persecution of Minorities in the Middle Ages
  • The Myth of Nations: The Medieval Origins of Europe
  • The Mediterranean and the Mediterranean World in the Age of Philip II, Volume 2
  • The War That Forged a Nation: Why the Civil War Still Matters
  • A Monarchy Transformed: Britain, 1603-1714
  • The World That Trade Created: Society, Culture and the World Economy, 1400 to the Present (Sources and Studies in World History)
World War One: A Short History The Eastern Front 1914-1917 World War Two: A Short History The Atlantic and Its Enemies: A History of the Cold War Europe Transformed: Text and Context