Start by marking “X-Men: Curse of the Mutants” as Want to Read:
X-Men: Curse of the Mutants

X-Men: Curse of the Mutants (X-Men Vol. III #1)

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  648 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
When a suicide bomber strikes in downtown San Francisco, it gets the immediate attention of the X-Men. But this is not your garden variety terrorist - and he's not acting alone. Vampires from around the globe are descending en masse on the City by the Bay, staking a brutal claim for the patch of land the X-Men call their home. What is their agenda? Who is their mysterious ...more
Published February 1st 2011 by Panini

To ask other readers questions about X-Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about X-Men

Anne
Dracula vs X-Men!
This was my nerd-nod to Halloween, and it turned out to be much better than I had originally hoped.

Jubilee gets infected with the vampire virus, and it's up to the X-Men to save her from the son of Dracula!
Of course, what is a vampire story in the Marvel universe without Blade?
The correct answer is: You can't have a vampire story without Blade. Duh.
So. Yeah, Blade makes an appearance and kicks some undead butt.
(view spoiler)
The X-Men b
Albert
Jul 04, 2016 Albert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
X-men: Curse of the Mutants at face value seems like a desperate stretch. We've run out of mutant versus human stories, or mutant versus mutant, or mutant versus space aliens, or demi-gods, so let's go for the mutant versus vampires storyline. As absurd as it sounds, the story actually works and sets in motion the re-birth of a character that had been falling out of X-men universe for some time. That is of course, Jubilation Lee.

After the events in House of M, Jubilee is one of the mutants that
Greta is Erikasbuddy
A Note to the Comic Book Guys

Hi! I'd like to make it known before you read my review that I am not a geek or a nerd. I didn't have a lot of comics growing up so I'm not a DIE HARD person who is going to know everything. I just like to have fun. My comic reviews are not going to say how much I hated this writer or how they should have used this artist. It's just going to be fun! With that in mind, most comic book peeps scare me with their extensive superhero knowledge. I feel like an outsider whe
William Thomas
About 20 years ago, there was a single issue comic of What If? titled What if Wolverine became Lord if the Vampires? It was a fun book, something that gave you a look at an alternate universe where Wolverine usurped Dracula and spread vampirism like bird-flu.

Here we have a reimagining of the What If? book in the actual timeline. And for all of the criticism of this new series I'll have to say that this puts the X-Men not only in the hands of Grant Morrison worshipping pseudo-intellectuals, but
Carina
Oct 22, 2013 Carina rated it really liked it
I love charity shops, sometimes you find some real gems - like this graphic novel (though I do wish I had splashed out and bought the four Avenger ones that were there too :( ah well, I know for next time!).

I know that there are various runs and arcs on graphic novels, in particular I believe they are quite obvious with the X-Men and this is my first step out from the Uncanny X-Men arcs - I have to say I enjoyed it immensely. You can see the difference from the get go - this is very obviously a
M
Jul 30, 2011 M rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The latest volume of X-Men sees the assembled mutant nation on Utopia become the targets of the newly-unified vampire nation. Thanks to an initial suicide vamp outbreak, Jubilee is infected and San Francisco is under seige. While Cyclops enlists the help of both Blade and a resurrected Dracula, Wolverine falls victim to Jubilee's bite. In order to repel the invasion, Cyclops pulls out all the stops: Namor's aquatic assault, a blessed Iceman to rain down frozen holy water, and a Trojan Horse gamb ...more
Silas
Jul 18, 2014 Silas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recently, I picked up an X-Men comic that had Jubliee and went, "Wait, she's a vampire, now? When did this happen." Turns out, right here. This is a big slugfest of X-Men vs. Marvel vampires, and it's pretty fun in that way. I find it interesting how much different parts of the Marvel universe are drawing together. Vampires now show up here and there, more and more characters are going into space, and mutants are being integrated into other teams. In a way, I like that, but in other ways, it's k ...more
Edward
Jul 19, 2015 Edward rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I haven't been keeping up with comics since around 2007 or so except for getting trades from my library. I was a little surprised to see that novelist Victor Gischler wrote the X-Men. His story is kind of an odd one. The X-Men versus...vampires? Well that's different. Honestly it was a good story. Guest starring Blade (and Namor or is he with the rest of the mutants now?) the X-Men go up against Draculas son Xarus and different factions of vampires losing Jubilee to the virus in the process. Not ...more
Adam Fisher
May 03, 2016 Adam Fisher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars... almost perfect.
While out relaxing in a community square, Pixie and a (post M-Day) de-powered Jubilee sit and enjoy a meal and hang out. A man dressed in all leather comes in, disrobes and after a skin sizzle in the sun, explodes, spreading his infected blood over many. Welcome to the beginning of the Vampire Plague.
Jubilee converts to a vampire and after she runs off the join the other Vamps, war is on.
Vampires vs. Mutants.
At first making strides against the horde (with special gue
Arturo
Aug 14, 2014 Arturo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With Amazing covers, a title like that, and the premise of X-Men vs vampires i'd expected a darker story. But once I opened the book up, the actual interior art seemed kinda cartoony. Once I got over it, the art seemed like a perfect fit for the story, and It was just a fun read.
I don't know why they didn't include "The Death of Dracula" which is a pretty good prelude, by this same writer and artist.
The story starts with vampires wanting to be friends and be a big happy family with the mutants
Abhinav
The X-men are one of the most iconic of Marvel’s various IPs and as such they’ve received a lot of attention over the years, whether it is in the form of various animated TV shows, or video games, or live-action movies, or even novels. Cyclops, Wolverine, The Beast, Professor X, Magneto and others are an instantly recognisable brand even if you are only minimally into comics.

Before picking up Victor Gischler’s new 2010 run on the superhero team (volume 3), my only previous run-in with them was t
Trevor
Aug 07, 2012 Trevor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
X-Men teaming with Blade and resurrecting Dracula, all to fight a war with an army of vampires led by Dracula's son? It sounds like a pretty stupid idea, but I enjoyed it much more than I expected to. Victor Gischler does a good job keeping the story fun. There were a couple things that bothered me - one is that, considering this story takes place so soon after the events of Second Coming, it seems weird that all of the characters seem somewhat un-bothered by the idea of already going into anoth ...more
Christopher Mclean
I've picked up x-men books here and there in the past, including a number of the "must read" volumes, and for the most part have been unimpressed. So I came into this with very low expectations and was very surprised. For whatever reason this story and it's characters really clicked with me. I loved it the whole way through and would probably rank it as my favourite x-men book. It's very much from the light and fun end of the spectrum but that is just what I was looking for.
M. Ashraf
Nov 15, 2012 M. Ashraf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
It was very good to watch X-Men Vs Vampires , it was a great ride watching Wolverine turned into one scary Vampire ,the big war , the return of Dracula it was all good and the final issue of the volume was amazing , in one moment you think he lost for good but in the same time you think they must have plan to return him back and there was a back up plan it was good , quite the turn that you expect it would be.

The idea itself of X-Men being Vamps is ridiculous but very fun to watch what they actu
Niall519
May 18, 2012 Niall519 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Oh dear God, this was bad! Just... bad. Worse than the lamest episode of Buffy, and I didn't particularly like the blonde wonder and moral voice of America.

The dialogue was clunky enough to contend for a Bullwer-Lytton award, the plot about 4th grade in inventiveness, and the art like the puling, bastard love-child of better X-Men stories and Sailor Moon.

All the 'bite' of a slice of over-ripe melon left out in the sun for a few hours. All the grace of an epileptic tree-sloth on roller blades.
Bryson McCheeseburger
A good start to the series. I like the addition of the vampire storyline and adding it into the X-men group. I have read two of the series already, but went out to get the run to see how it plays out in full. I would say from this beginning, I'm sure this is going to be a great run of books and stories.
Keith
Mar 29, 2015 Keith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I guess an "X-Men vs Vampires" book could go either way, but this was meh. The X-Men fight vampires in it. There's not enough issues so you have to look up a bunch of stuff on the internet afterward. It's kind of long anyway. The End.
AGamarra
Sep 02, 2015 AGamarra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
¿Qué puedo decir de un cómic que involucra a los X-Men con Drácula y otros vampiros? Suena muy raro, aunque Marvel suele hacerlo. Personalmente no me gusta las historias de los vampiros y la combinación no me gustó mucho. Las portadas sí eran muy atractivas y bien dibujadas, y bueno, la conclusión más importante fue las consecuencias de la saga en Júbilo, que hasta ahora persisten.
Jason Stalides
Enough mindless "cool" parts to escape two stars. But just barely. Story-wise: awful. But I'm just enough of a comic book and X-Men geek (in many respects, X-Men comics sparked my love of reading) to give this one a "pass." At the same time, I hold X-Men stories to a high standard. They deserve much, much better.
ComicsGate
Nov 02, 2012 ComicsGate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
النسخة العربية من ترجمة و إعداد: إسلام شاهين

شارك في الترجمة و الإعداد: محمد إيهاب محمد وصفي و محمد النمر - العدد الأول فقط

ملحمة دموية مرعبة تتميز برسومات و ألوان مبهرة و قصة شيقة حيث يواجه الرجال إكس مصاصي الدماء في صراع دامي جداً و غير متوقع

القصة مكونة من ستة أعداد

لقراءة الأعداد باللغة العربية اتبعوا الروابط التالية
La Revistería Comics
Vampiros y lagartos y mutantes y muertes inesperadas y más en este tomotoco que recopila todos los capítulos de X-Men editados por Ovni Press previos a Ruptura.
Ryan
Oct 12, 2012 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
While the overall plot and story is not the most imaginative, this is a nice addition to the franchise. The art, by Medina is nice and clean. Having the X-Men fight vampires for the first time in 30 years is also fun. But Gischler could have done long time X-Men fans a service by leaning a bit more heavily on the classic Tomb of Dracula stories. Yes, he does briefly mention the classic story where Dracula bit Storm. But this Dracula looks different for no real reason. Also, instead of inventing ...more
Patrick
What's supposed to be an epic battle between X-Men and vampires is more of a turkey shoot.
Marcela
Jan 23, 2014 Marcela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by this. I went in thinking it would be garbage, but it was actually enjoyable. I like stories where Wolverine looks like a brutish idiot and Cyclops wins at some cerebral chess game. Plus, vampires.
Sean
Jan 10, 2012 Sean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The idea of X-Men vs. vampires seems ridiculous to me but Victor Gischler pulled it off pretty well. The story is basically about to opposing forces and their leaders, Cyclops and Xarus. While the story centered on just a handful of characters it still seemed to have a grand scale and the danger seemed real. I enjoyed it and was glad the vampire hook wasn’t cheesy. The art by Paco Medina was good but not great. The art style might have been better served if it had heavier inks given the dark ton ...more
Claire
Jun 06, 2014 Claire rated it really liked it
This is probably right up there with my favourites so far, out of the ones I've read. Hard Labour is still my favourite, I think, and Joss Whedon's is going to be very close to the top of anyone's list, I would think, but this is a good solid story and the artwork is wonderful and the characters are rich and true to what I have always known in the universe. I really enjoyed the arc and really want to get my hands on more of it in the future, if I can, especially to see how Jubilee's story works ...more
PJ Ebbrell
Oct 11, 2011 PJ Ebbrell rated it really liked it
Always a big x-men fan, bu over the last decade have fallen away. i thought this was a great showcase, some great scenes and showing Cyclops at his best. Standing on his own and making his own decisions. Not sure if the vampire thing has been done to death (if you pardon the pun), but it was good idea, well executed. The artwork flowed and definitely worth a read.
Joshua
Eh. Vampires dudes in leather and lace, vampire chicks in skin tight leather with they ta-tas hanging out. The X-Men resurrect Dracula. Jubilee becomes a vampire. Oh yeah, so does Wolverine for a little bit. Blade hangs out and cuts heads off and then gets pissed because the X-Men refuse to kill Dracula and Jubilee. Oh, yeah, Spoilers.
Shannon Appelcline
On the good side: solid scripting and some interesting repercussions. On the bad side: a terrible take on vampires that makes them super villains rather than monsters; a generally ridiculous premise; and some decisions that make zero sense (resurrecting Dracula, letting Wolverine be turned). Sadly, this is Gischler at his best.
Kevin
Jan 07, 2014 Kevin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
X-men fighting vampires. Jubilee transformed into a vampire. Plot and dialogue just wasn't there.
  • X-Men: First to Last
  • Avengers vs. X-Men: Consequences
  • X-Men Legacy: Back to School
  • X-Men: Schism
  • Cable, Vol. 1: Messiah War
Victor Gischler is an American author of humorous crime fiction.
Gischler's debut novel Gun Monkeys was nominated for the Edgar Award, and his novel Shotgun Opera was an Anthony Award finalist. His work has been translated into Italian, French, Spanish and Japanese. He earned a Ph.D. in English at the University of Southern Mississippi. His fifth novel Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse was published in
More about Victor Gischler...

X-Men Vol. III (8 books)