Start by marking “The Stranger You Seek (Keye Street 1)” as Want to Read:
The Stranger You Seek (Keye Street 1)

The Stranger You Seek (Keye Street #1)

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  3,059 Ratings  ·  525 Reviews
In Atlanta, Georgia, a vicious serial killer is at loose, luring victims with ease, killing them with a combination of precision and twisted brutality.

Keye Street is not happy. Formally a rising FBI star, with two university degrees and a brilliant track record in criminal profiling, she's now working for herself as a bail recovery agent. It's not exciting work, but it kee
Published August 4th 2011 by Headline (first published August 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Stranger You Seek, please sign up.

Michelle Schwerdtfeger this author write police/serial killer books. But it isn't a police procedural type it's more about the human relationship.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
This book was my favorite female character for the year of 2014. It's on sale on amazon today (1-1-15) for 1.99!

I recently read the third book in this series and I loved it enough that I had to go back and read the others. This book is the first in the Keye Street series and I hope it's going to be a long set of books.
I adore this main character. She is tough without ever coming off as conceited. If nothing else she knows her weaknesses all to well.

And the degrees: criminology from GA Southern
Robert
Oct 09, 2012 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love discovering new authors. It’s like finding a new best friend that you plan to visit with over and over again. The best ones are both invigorating and frustrating, because no matter how hard you try, you just can’t stay away. Amanda Kyle Williams has quite a bit of potential, and I’m rather curious to see how her next novel turns out. As for her debut, THE STRANGER YOU SEEK was a well-written, intriguing, and quick-paced read. The characters had baggage, were tormented, and ended up being ...more
Adam
Jul 18, 2012 Adam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
About 25 pages into this book, I really liked it. The detective, her support network of family, friends and coworkers seemed to have a nice dynamic, the story had a good mix run and gun bounty hunter action and behavioral profiler procedural and a nicely nasty serial killer. It was really promising and I was already writing a 4 star* review in my head where I apologized for saying all the Shamus award nominees always suck.**

By 125 pages in my review of the book had shed a star because nothing wa
Diane S ☔
Aug 13, 2011 Diane S ☔ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was sent an ARC of this book by the publisher and I can see why the folks at Random House are so excited about this debut of a new series. Keye Street is engaging, at turns tough and sensitive. The other characters in this book are engaging, the crime scenes are not for the weak but the storyline is fantastic. Twist and turns and I had no clue who the killer was. At times this book was laugh out loud funny, she has such a different and kooky family. All in all I will definitely read the next b ...more
Elizabeth B

This is a creative plot and the author does well at giving only hints at information throughout the novel. This builds the suspense in a methodic way which most readers of this genre will readily appreciate it. While it may not be up to the caliber of most mainstream suspense, it will definetly keep the reader plowing along until the end in hopes of resolution.
I had two big problems with this novel and, unfortunately, they are probably big enough that I won’t read another by this author. The mai
E.
Dec 18, 2015 E. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, mystery, thriller
At one time, Keye was at the top of her game. FBI profiler with the BAU, but her relationship with alcohol destroyed that. She has since moved back to Atlanta near her family, started her own PI firm, and tried to get her act together.

The characters and story are a unique blend of horrific and quirky. Her family is a blended one. Keye is Asian, her brother is black, adopted into a white southern family that can be warm or run cold on any given day. Her assistant is a pot smoking, slow driving co
Pamela
Nov 15, 2011 Pamela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Ethan
Jun 06, 2011 Ethan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Look out Stephanie Plum and Kay Scarpetta! There's a new sheriff in town! In this new novel, the first in a planned series, author Amanda Kyle Williams debuts one of the best female crime fighters in recent memory. Keye Street is funny, charismatic, and serves as a completely engaging narrator. Down on her luck and running a private investigating business in Atlanta, Georgia, Keye is called in by her friend at the APD to help investigate a series of brutal, sadistic murders. When the killer reac ...more
Wendy
Oct 11, 2011 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oct-11
This book had it all. Murder, suspense, humor and a story that had me turning the pages til the wee hours.
A creative plot that shocked and surprised me with interesting sub-plots thrown in.
My favorite part of this book is the cast of amazing characters. They were original, quirky and, at times. had me laughing out loud especially with some of the one-liners.
This book has to be one of my favorites this year and I look forward to the next book in the "Keye Street" series.

Lisa
Oct 14, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started out well had me interested with the storyline but the writer suddenly wrote too much on the main character it got a bit mundane & boring for me a real letdown for me had been wanting to read this Author for a long time thems the breaks i suppose
Robert Carraher
Sep 10, 2011 Robert Carraher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had all the ingredients to fail, or at most become just another "PI seeks serial killer" thriller. Instead, Amanda Kyle Williams has crafted one of the finest debut detective novels of the year.

The language is as sweet as a Georgia Peach and as dark as the under-belly of a thunderhead. The scenery and the sense of place make you want to add "I declare" to your vocabulary and root for The Braves. The plot is brilliant, twisting, full of red herrings but red herrings that are keepers.

T
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookviews
The Stranger You Seek is a very eerie, creepy, stalkerish kind of mystery, in which Keye Street gets through so many twists and turns it was impossible to figure out who the killer was.

Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews
Michele at A Belle's Tales
I haven’t read a lot of thrillers lately, and I didn’t realize how much I missed that genre until I started reading this brilliant story by Amanda Kyle Williams.

Keye Street is a former FBI profiler turned PI who battles a past addiction and takes on an assortment of cases, from serving subpoenas to chasing after bail jumpers. When a serial killer haunts the sweltering city of Atlanta, Keye’s best friend/police Lieutenant Aaron Rauser asks for her help in profiling the murderer. She is then draw
Love Fool
Oct 27, 2015 Love Fool rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The papers have called me a monster. You’ve either concluded that I am a braggart as well as a sadist or that I have a deep and driving need to be caught and punished.

I love a good mystery, especially one that I can't figure out and this was it. There were surprises left and right and I appreciate that. Keye was likable as well with her flaws and her love of food. I like that she wasn't the cookie cutter version of a "messed up" character, meaning Amanda Kyle Williams didn't make Keye the typic
Connie
Sep 15, 2011 Connie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book devoted too much time analyzing the sexual identity of every character which was not important to the story. There was also way too much description and repetition of the gory details of the crimes. The ending came as a surprise because it was completely nonsensical. This book was a big disappointment after reading all of the positive reviews.
Elizabeth

Holy shit. It's rare that I rate a thriller this high but I just LOVE LOVE LOVED it. Everything, from the first-rate crime investigation to the kickass MC to the surprising and creepy villain, was just perfection.

Keye Street may be my favorite investigator of all time. She's a fiesty, adopted Asian-American who runs a private detective agency in Atlanta, Georgia. She was adopted by a Southern couple and studied all her life to be a Profiler in the FBI, a dream which she attained only to
Christa
Sep 20, 2011 Christa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook-arc
The Stranger You Seek was a great book, and I can already foresee this becoming one of my favorite series. Keye Street was a great character -flawed, yet strong and likeable. Aaron Rauser was a wonderful counterpart for her - a good friend who trusts Keye's professional insights regardless of her past. This book had a great, suspenseful storyline, a bit of romance, and some delightful humor was added to the mix.

Keye Street is building a successful business as a private investigator after alcoho
Elvan
Mar 04, 2014 Elvan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this first book in the Keye Street series.

Keye Street is a private investigator and recovering alcoholic. She is also a former profiler with the BAU and so ends up assisting Atlanta PD's Aaron Rauser as he tries to catch a very grizzly serial killer.

While the subject matter is often grim, what set this book and this PI above many others is the way the author follows the life of a PI, bumps, bruises and all. Keye Street might be helping hunt a killer, but she also has bi
Rashika (is tired)
This could have been a 4 star read but the mystery completely fell apart. Like nothing lines up. The twists were unnecessary and really did piss me off because they weren't even twists, they were parallels (thinking in weird mathematical terms). If person x was the murderer, what happened to all the other evidence that was mentioned in this book?
Did that all go down the shitter?

The main character also indulged in light slut shamming. It wasn't 'serious' but it did grate on my nerves.

I am still
Diane
Feb 08, 2014 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG - for a debut novel, this author has nailed it. I like her style, and love her flawed characters. Keye Street is the main character, an ex-FBI agent, an alcoholic from an adoptive dysfunctional family, has an adopted stray cat called White Trash, was married, isn't now, and has a great friendship with Atlanta Lt. Rauser.

Fired from the FBI due to alcoholism, Keye is running her own PI business - sometimes lucrative, sometimes not, sometimes it's an odd job, sometimes it's not.

A really bad ser
Heather
I'm a sucker for a good murder mystery and this was one of the best I've read in a long time. Not only was my first guess at the murderer wrong, but so was my second and third guesses. When I found out the truth, I was completely surprised. I actually started flipping back through the book to look for the tell-tale signs and there they were, scattered throughout the text, pointing me in the right direction, but I was fooled into misinterpreting them just the same as the lead detective. Excellent ...more
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Excellent!!!
I really enjoyed this book a lot.
Nothing like a good old serial killer story from your state.
Edited 8/23 to include:
This was an ARC from the publisher.

Engaging thriller with a likeable, flawed narrator. Keye Street is a recovering alcoholic whose successful criminal profiling career went down the drain due to her drinking. She's a humorous and highly intelligent narrator, if a bit overly dramatic at times, as she helps Atlanta PD track a serial killer.

Williams lays down some red herrings while weaving in Street's side endeavors as she balances the serial killer case with making a living
Vince Panone
Liked the main character, Keye Street and her support team. The ending, however, I just could not buy. I love a good twist, and am always on the lookout for the one I didn't see coming. This one I partially saw coming, and the part I didn't see, just did not make sense. I figured out the "killer" mainly because you knew it had to be someone you had met throughout the story, and even if it didn't fit, no matter how ridiculous, that must be the solution. (Occam's razor I believe.) Despite enjoying ...more
Darcia Helle
The Stranger You Seek is Amanda Kyle William's debut and also the first book in her Keye Street series. The writing style and main character have much in common with the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. The characters are vivid. The plot moves at a good pace, with just enough twists to keep readers guessing.

Throughout the story, Williams sprinkles little nuggets of information about Atlanta, the city in which Keye Street lives. The familiarity made me feel as if I was there in the city
Sheila
Jul 06, 2012 Sheila rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I felt, although the characters were well developed, that the story did move quite slowly for me any way. Also, I had a problem with the end as did another reviewer. It seems a bit far fetched to me that these strange events could have happened. That's quite a reach really. So I cannot give this a very good rating based on that fact only. Other than that the characters are quite likeable, but the story moved very slowly as a first book often does. It didn't "grab" me right away, or really grab m ...more
Heather
May 16, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yay!! Finally... a great thriller!! This is the first book I read from Amanda Kyle Williams and it was terrific! A friend recommended this book to me and I'm glad she did. HBO should make this a television series. Keye Street reminds me of a female Rayland Givens from Justified. She is sassy, smart, funny and never stops until she gets the results she wants. Great characters and a great story.
Can't wait to read the second book!
Betsy
Oct 15, 2011 Betsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed The Stranger You Seek. The main character, Keye Street, has flaws which makes her so human. I love the profiler angle as I always do. I love all the characters and enjoyed that the story takes place in Atlanta. Since I visit there so frequently, I love reading about places I actually know. I look forward to AKW's next installment.
Heather L
Dec 06, 2013 Heather L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: part-of-a-series
This is some good crazy suspense. Keye Street now seems to be a character that I will always look to enjoy visiting. I honestly did not see the twists in this book. I applaud Williams tremendously at being capable of keeping the reader on their toes. This was a definite entertaining and fun read. I look forward to more, so much more.
Timothy
Aug 24, 2012 Timothy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
AWFUL. Absolutely awful. Pages upon pages of needless descriptions of pointless crap and a killer I could see coming from 80 pages away yet the author tried to play it off like some big "Swerv-a-roo"...
Sisterhood of the...: The Stranger You Seek by Amanda Kyle Williams 6 22 Jan 07, 2014 10:35AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Stranger You Seek 1 5 Aug 08, 2012 08:09PM
  • The Missing (Darby McCormick #1)
  • Death on the D-List (Hailey Dean, #2)
  • The Bone House (Cab Bolton, #1)
  • Scraps of Paper (Spookie Town Murder Mystery, #1)
  • Long Gone
  • Very Bad Men
  • Is IT A Crime
  • Edge of Black (Dr. Samantha Owens, #2)
  • Dominance
  • A Very Simple Crime
  • Sacrifice of Passion
  • Mob Rules: What the Mafia Can Teach the Legitimate Businessman
  • Takeover (Theresa MacLean, #1)
  • The Burning (Maeve Kerrigan, #1)
  • You're Next
  • Body Count (Sophie Anderson,  #1)
  • The Impostor (The Alaskan Heart Saga, #1)
  • The Doll (Vanessa Michael Munroe, #3)
Amanda Kyle Williams worked as a freelance writer for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, worked with a PI firm in Atlanta on surveillance operations, became a court appointed process server and owned a dog walking and pet sitting business in Atlanta.

Author of 'THE STRANGER YOU SEEK', 'STRANGER IN THE ROOM' and 'DON'T TALK TO STRANGERS', featuring former FBI criminal investigative analyst Keye Stre
More about Amanda Kyle Williams...

Keye Street (3 books)
  • Stranger in the Room (Keye Street #2)
  • Don't Talk to Strangers (Keye Street, #3)

“Sometimes you only get one chance at something. Sometimes that's a good thing too. When that door slams shut on the thing you couldn't live without, what happens next is when the read education begins. You have to figure out how to make some peace with it all, how to have an interior life you can live with. Digging down deep is really never a bad thing in the end, but it will flat-out kick your ass while it's happening.” 12 likes
“Damn fool," Mother whispered, and covered her face with her hands. "It's not enough that he spells out Leon on the roof every year in Christmas lights. Now this!"
My father was dyslexic but would not admit it.”
7 likes