Rousseau and Revolution (Story of Civilization, Vol 10)

Rousseau and Revolution (The Story of Civilization #10)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  323 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The Story of Civilization, Volume X: winner of the Pulitzer Prize, a history of civilization in France, England, and Germany from 1756, and in the rest of Europe from 1715 to 1789.
Published June 7th 2011 by Simon & Schuster (NYC) (first published 1967)

Blake Brownrigg
Will and Ariel Durant give us here both the end of an era, a king, an old feudal world and the end of their over 40 year journey of writing synthetic history (though they would live past their predictions and live two write one more volume). Volume X won the Pulitzer Prize for General Non-Fiction in 1968, and it is tough to decide whether it was the writing and dedication of its authors, or the age itself, bursting its seems with genius (Goethe, Mozart, Kant, Rousseau, Voltaire, Franklin), villa...more
Al
This amazing series of books needs no explanation or review. They are extraordinary--comprehensive, readable and even humorous. I have just read the last sections of this book, which deal with the early part of the French revolution, just to be informed on the facts because I am presently reading a novel on that event.
Dovofthegalilee
This volume was so much more refreshing than the last two or three but even then it seemed to go on forever. I think I liked this one more because it covered people who I read and knew before but I didn't know their history. For example Edward Gibbon's the author of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire had a medical problem where his testes would collect four liters of water in them! This with wearing tight britches in which Gibbon's thought flattered him! Retch...you have to dig a lot to fi...more
David Glad
Another excellent book by Will Durant. Although his The Age of Voltaire (previous) is so far my favorite in the series and the one I would be most eager to recommend (economic bubbles, enlightenment, etc), this book is certainly good too. Another who's who and how many of the historic figures lived along with the modernity of moving royalty to the sole position of figureheads.
Don Stanton
A must read if you are going to spend any significant time in France. For the effort, your understanding of what you will see and hear will be ‘enlightened.’
Not an easy read, but well worth the effort if want to have a complete sense of history and understanding when you go. I suggest you begin 3 to 4 months prior to departure.
Brennan
This is a good survey of that time period and the artistic, cultural and political faultlines that led to the Revolution. The Durants' style is a bit breezy for my taste - they are writing about the foundations of the Enlightenment with the tone I'd use for a story about my car - but for me this was a good primer.
Mikelkpoet
I find this book fascinating, but it is sooooooooo huge, it daunts me, and I have put it to the side because I own it(I found it on the side of the street, and now it is MINE!) Right now, I can borrow two books, at at time from the big, big bookstore that I work for, so I am saving Rousseau for a later time.
Keeko
Keeko I loved reading this book. Roger Ebert said if he could have lived in any other time, he would have picked the 18th century, and now, thanks to the Durants, I understand that. This one won a Pulitzer, and it is well-deserved.
Erik Graff
Jul 15, 2013 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Westerners
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: history
Like many of the volumes of the Durants' Story of Civilization, this one is strongest on political philosophies and ideologies--reflective of Will Durant's strong background in philosophy, of which he was an accomplished popularist.
Glenn Street
Rousseau and Revolution: A History of Civilization in France, England, and Germany from 1756, and in the Remainder of Europe from 1715, to 1789 by Will Durant (1967)
Ruth
France, England and Germany from 1756, and the rest of Europe from 1715 to 1789. 1091 pages. A staggering work. Donated to the library 2010 March.
Marts  (Thinker)
May 21, 2011 Marts (Thinker) marked it as shelved  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Volume ten of the eleven volume 'Story of Civilisation' by Will and Ariel Durant.
Kirk Lowery
One must not forget that Durant won a Pulitzer Prize for this volume.
John
nonfiction,history,The Story of Civilization,Enlightenment
Nancy Laney
The Story of Civilization, Book 10
Rick Stoebner
Rick Stoebner marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Kh Aboelnaga
Kh Aboelnaga is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2014
Lacey
Lacey marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Daker
Daker marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Marcelo
Marcelo marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Rohit Shinde
Rohit Shinde marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Helaine
Helaine marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Blake H
Blake H marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Filipe
Filipe marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Mhmd Hady
Mhmd Hady marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Nada EL Shabrawi
Nada EL Shabrawi marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Sudeep Kumar
Sudeep Kumar marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
  • Gandhi's Truth: On the Origins of Militant Nonviolence
  • Ashes to Ashes: America's Hundred-Year Cigarette War, the Public Health, and the Unabashed Triumph of Philip Morris
  • The Haunted Land: Facing Europe's Ghosts After Communism
  • Arab and Jew: Wounded Spirits in a Promised Land, Revised and Updated
  • Fin-de-Siècle Vienna: Politics and Culture
  • The Social Transformation of American Medicine: The Rise of a Sovereign Profession and the Making of a Vast Industry
  • Nazi Germany and the Jews: The Years of Extermination, 1939-1945
  • Beautiful Swimmers: Watermen, Crabs and the Chesapeake Bay
  • Stilwell and the American Experience in China, 1911-45
  • Imperial Reckoning: The Untold Story of Britain's Gulag in Kenya
  • Fire in the Lake: The Vietnamese and the Americans in Vietnam
  • Is There No Place on Earth for Me?
  • Carry Me Home: Birmingham, Alabama: The Climactic Battle of the Civil Rights Revolution
  • Original Meanings: Politics and Ideas in the Making of the Constitution
  • The Americans, Vol. 3: The Democratic Experience
  • William Cooper's Town: Power and Persuasion on the Frontier of the Early American Republic
  • The Outline of History, Vols. I and II
  • Present at the Creation: My Years in the State Department
William James Durant was a prolific American writer, historian, and philosopher. He is best known for the 11-volume The Story of Civilization, written in collaboration with his wife Ariel and published between 1935 and 1975. He was earlier noted for his book, The Story of Philosophy, written in 1926, which was considered "a groundbreaking work that helped to popularize philosophy."

They were awarde...more
More about Will Durant...
The Story of Philosophy The Story of Civilization (11 Volume Set) The Lessons of History Our Oriental Heritage (The Story of Civilization, #1) The Life of Greece (The Story of Civilization, #2)