Start by marking “Living Well with Pain and Illness: The Mindful Way to Free Yourself from Suffering” as Want to Read:

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  6 reviews
After two serious spinal injuries, Vidyamala Burch found herself facing the loneliness of disability and chronic pain with few skills or resources to turn to. But instead of giving up, she set out on a mission to embrace her physical challenges with compassion, acceptance, and peace. Living Well with Pain and Illness shares the fruits of her courageous life's work, teachin ...more
Published February 1st 2010 by Sounds True (first published November 6th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Living Well with Pain and Illness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Well with Pain and Illness

Kat Davis
This book is based primarily on Eastern philosophies and pays close attention to the idea of mindfulness. I read it as part of a pain management course for my rheumatoid arthritis. I've had RA for nearly 13 years and it is starting to take a toll on my joints, reducing my mobility and drastically increasing my levels of pain.

People say arthritis is like having bad toothache all over your body you can do nothing about. I am lucky and have only several really bad joints, so I prefer to think of it
Maggie
a VERY helpful practical book that shows the what and the how of separating primary pain from secondary suffering. the first is sometimes unavoidable; the second is thoroughly optional. but we need wisdom to know the difference in being aware and dealing with pain.
Satia
The title is misleading in that it implies a purely physical interpretation of pain and/or illness. For more thoughts on this book:

I would recommend this book to anyone who has tried to read John Kabat-Zinn's Full Catastrophe Living and didn't make it through or for someone who wants to rediscover similar principles but in a different voice.

Linda
I'm not very far into this book, but so far it is pretty helpful in describing the difference between pain/illness and the attitudes or reactions to pain/illness, which exacerbate the suffering. I think it will fit in with other things I have studied.
Kerryn
I think this book is inspirational and appropriate for clinician and client alike.Read it first as an eBook then just had to have it in hard copy on the shelf for ready reference and use.
Jilda Leigh
This gave some great pointers on how to try to manage your pain and illness by using meditation and mind control, breathing, etc.
Noel
Noel marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Barbara
Barbara is currently reading it
Feb 13, 2015
Missi
Missi marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Paula Tuttle
Paula Tuttle marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Martin Rusev
Martin Rusev marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Anitra
Anitra marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Em Dahlström
Em Dahlström marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Priscila
Priscila marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Jessica Fitzgibbon
Jessica Fitzgibbon marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Michelle Kolbe
Michelle Kolbe is currently reading it
Feb 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Mindfulness for Health: A practical guide to relieving pain, reducing stress and restoring wellbeing Body Scan CD - Managing pain, illness and stress with mindfulness meditation Kindly Awareness You Are Not Your Pain: Using Mindfulness to Relieve Pain, Reduce Stress, and Restore Well-Being---An Eight-Week Program A CD to Accompany 'Living Well with Pain and Illness'