Start by marking “Gumption!” as Want to Read:
Gumption!

Gumption!

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Peter's been invited to go on a safari. He's brought:

1. Uncle Nigel, who's an explorer

2. hiking shorts

3. a canteen

But what he will need most is a bit of gumption.

(Gumption: n. Courage; spunk; fortitude; resourcefulness; good sense.)

Oh, wait...there are crocodiles in the river? Then he might need a lot of it!
Published June 28th 2011 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Gumption!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gumption!

David
Gumption! by Elise Broach, illustrated by Richard Egielski is the story of Peter and an African safari with his loud, funny, brave Uncle Nigel, an explorer, to spot the rare Zimbobo Mountain Gorilla. Uncle Nigel keeps urging his Peter on by saying "All it takes is a bit of gumption." Yet the oblivious Nigel never sees the problems Peter is having, or all the animals that assist his nephew.

The text focuses on the observations of Uncle Nigel, while the illustrations show the action taking place b
Jenny Young
Age:
Grades K-4

Genre:
historical fiction; science (space) fiction

Diversity:
African American; history

Illustrations:
The illustrations are created with pens, ink, and watercolors.

Personal response:
The book is very clever because it tells half the story with pictures, so it is important to really pay attention to what is going on in the pictures. The uncle, who's supposed to be the explorer, reminds me of Inspector Gadget from cartoons because he is very oblivious to things and the boy Peter would equ
Lynn K.
This is the story of a boy and his beloved uncle going on an adventure. The uncle is seemingly oblivious to any difficulties the boy is experiencing and subsequent assistance the nephew received from the wild animals, repeatedly telling his nephew all he needs is a little gumption (of which, the nephew never needs).

Cute story, but not amazing. However, the illustrations are engaging visually and allow for young readers to tell the story-behind-the-story!
Jess Brown
"Nonsense, my boy! All it takes is a bit of gumption," says Uncle Nigel to his nephew Peter. Anything that seems difficult can be overcome on this jungle exploration with a bit of gumption. Cute story with bold illustrations done by Caldecott medalist Richard Egielski, albeit a tad forgettable.
Serina
Great book! I loved the mix of words and nonwords. And the great theme of just sticking with something. I loved the tongue in check action of the little boy 'defeating' the animals while th uncle remained oblvious. Also enjoy the style of pictures too, realistic with a small cartoonish effect.
Sandy
Great book about a little boy named Peter. He is invited by his Uncle Nigel to take a trek through the jungle to look at some interesting life. When Peter thinks he can't do something while on the trail, his uncle always tells him, "Gumption, my boy!" C.2010, genre-concept/fantasy
Brenda Pritchard
preschooler story times; narrative skills, print motivation, vocabulary building

This book is about a boy who goes on an adventure with his uncle. It reminds me of "Where the Wild Things Are". They go through the jungle and spy all kinds of animals.
Christine Turner
When Peter goes on an African adventure with his beloved Uncle Nigel, who hopes to spot a rare gorilla, the oblivious Nigel urges Peter on by telling him to have gumption, while Peter keeps his eyes open and uses his ingenuity. www.hcpl.net

Phoebe
Uncle Nigel takes Peter along on his search for the Zimbobo Mountain Gorilla, declaring that though the trek will be tough, a bit of gumption will get them through. Cute enough story but sometimes the art is hard to interpret.
Molly
Ok, I had to work it a bit but the kids LOVED This in Ready to Read. If you read it flat and don't explain the pictures this would be best in a one-on-one setting. By the end the kids were screaming 'GUMPTION"
Laura Komos
Reminds me of how children are so in-tune to wonder and observing the world around them. while adults overlook so much! It will also be a good book to remind my first graders to use the picture clues.
Shelli
Silly story that reminded me a bit of the Berenstain Bear books. The ones where Papa bear is trying to teach brother bear a lesson but ends up having Brother save him or help him through the whole adventure.
Angie
Awesome. I picked it for the name ... couldn't we all use a bit of gumption?

Best shared in a small group where kids can get a good look at the pictures. Those are where most of the jokes happen. ;]
Aimee Owen
Peter and his favorite uncle trek through the jungle in search of the rare and wild Zimbobo Mountain Gorilla! To keep up with Uncle Nigel, Peter must prove that he has the gumption to be a real explorer.
Donalyn
Uncle Nigel invites Peter on an African expedition. Hacking their way through thickets, crossing deep rivers, and dodging elephants, Peter discovers that what he needs most is a little gumption.
Marcia
This book rubbed me the wrong way. The boy didn't show gumption as much as deviousness and disobedience. The story line was really forced, and the illustrations were a bit off. No thanks.
Lesley
Cute story about a boy who goes on an adventure with his uncle! Good example of how having gumption will increase your chances for having a great time!
Nancy J.
I liked this one for the contrast in observational skills between the Uncle and the young explorer. Very bright and dtailed illustrations.
Morgan
This was a fun read mostly because I was imagining the voice of explorer "Uncle Nigel" as Nigel Thornberry (aka Tim Curry/aka hilarious).
Becky Aughenbaugh
My boys really liked seeing how the animals helped Peter and seeing how the uncle misses it all.
June
Jan 12, 2011 June rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to June by: Cap Choices
Shelves: cap-choices-2010
Another in the theme of child smarter than the adult, however not a stand out for me.
Brody
The most spellbinding book to date! A must read, even for dogs.
Sherri
Cute illustrations. Great for slightly older readers.
Marge
good one on one read
especially for 7 year old boy
Polly
vocabulary learning opportunity
Kim
Jun 23, 2011 Kim marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Title sometimes gives clues to theme
Alisha
Alisha added it
Nov 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Elise Broach is the New York Times bestselling author of children's books including Masterpiece, Shakespeare's Secret, Desert Crossing, Missing on Superstition Mountain (the first book in the Superstition Mountain Trilogy) as well as several picture books. Her books have been selected as ALA notable books, Junior Library Guild selections, a Publishers Weekly Best Children's Book, a New York Public ...more
More about Elise Broach...
Shakespeare's Secret Masterpiece When Dinosaurs Came with Everything Missing on Superstition Mountain (Missing on Superstition Mountain, #1) Desert Crossing