Meet Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #2)

Meet Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile #2)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  313 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Cécile Rey can't wait for Mardi Gras--New Orleans' dazzling season of parties and costume balls. For the grandest event of all, the Children's Ball, Cécile is determined to come up with a fantastic costume like no one else's. Everyone will notice her And after Mardi Gras, Cécile beloved brother, Armand, will finally come home after two long years in faraway France. But Mar...more
Published August 30th 2011 by American Girl

To ask other readers questions about Meet Cécile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meet Cécile

Meet Samantha by Susan S. AdlerMeet Addy by Connie Rose PorterMeet Molly by Valerie TrippMeet Felicity by Valerie TrippChanges for Molly by Valerie Tripp
An American Girl
123rd out of 127 books — 42 voters
Interview with the Vampire by Anne RiceA Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee WilliamsA Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy TooleAll the King's Men by Robert Penn WarrenNew Orleans Mourning by Julie Smith
Louisiana Fiction
80th out of 95 books — 53 voters

More lists with this book...

Holly Letson
In this book, we get Cecile's side of the story. Cecile is a spunky little free POC that is Marie-Grace's best friend. She's the one that brings forth M-G's braver and less shy side, and deeply shapes who M-G is as a person.
--------
We once again see them meet at Mademoiselle Oceane's vocal classes. But, this does not talk about the all-girls school later on, as Cecile is not a member of that, however we do still get the wonderful story of the Mardi Gras switch.
--------
And, in addition, we get...more
Gabriela
Basically a rehashing of Meet Marie-Grace. I liked MG so much that Cecile was going to have to be unique to keep my interest. I just didn't find her character as captivating. MG is dealing with a new home, making friends, and mean girls, while C is just worried about her brother returning.

I did love the chapter where C and her grandfather buy sweets and C begins to see that not all of the US is like New Orleans. It was very poignant, yet appropriate for the age level.

Maybe more like a 3.5, but...more
Miri
It's 1853 and Cecile Rey is a free person of color, living in New Orleans with her father Jean Claude, Mother Aurelia, Grandfather Simone, Aunt Octavia and young cousin Rene. Her brother Armande is away in Paris.

Cecile Rey dreams of being an actress, but has to settle for music lessons from Madame Oceane, at one of her lessons she meets Marie Grace, a white girl who has recently returned to the city after many years away. Cecile and Marie son become fast friends and have a secret rendezvous duri...more
Rosemarie
This is the first time 2 Girls have shared a 6 book series and I really liked that idea. I was also loving the idea that this series was set in New Orleans, and there were some wonderful references to Mardi Gras, St. Louis Cathedral and other New Orleans landmarks.

Unfortunately, I have to admit that I didn't love this series as much as I was anticipating. The historical event that was the main focus throughout the 6 books was the Yellow Fever epidemic of 1853. You hear about such events and you...more
Ciara
this is the second book in the marie-grace/cecile historical new orleans book set. full disclosure: i want to like this character & this book because i think the doll is so pretty. so that could influence my judgment a little.

this book is essentially meet marie-grace told from cecile's perspective. it is written by a different author & some of the events from marie-grace are slightly different (somewhat expanded dialogue scenes, for example), but it's mostly the same events all over agai...more
Katie
Recap:
Cecile Rey is one of the "gens de couleur libres" or "free people of color" living in New Orleans in 1853. Together, she and her friend, Marie Grace, experience all that the diverse, busy city has to offer: Mardi Gras parades and costume balls, outdoor French markets, helping to fight a yellow fever epidemic, volunteering at a local orphanage, and performing at a city-wide benefit for the orphaned children.

Review:
Happy Mardi Gras, book lovers! In honor of the holiday, today I'm featuring a...more
Daisy
I am glad AG came up with another interesting historical girl of color. Unfortunately I am not a big fan of the co-historical "system" AG created with the release of Cecile and Marie-Grace. I read Meet Marie-Grace first as it is number as book 1 in the series. When I was reading Cecile's book I had no patience to read the parts that had already been covered in Meet Cecile. I am not within the "target age-range" for AG but have always enjoyed the stories. I am going to continue to read this serie...more
Preethi
This book was amazing! I love how both the first book and the second book are about the same thing, but in the views of two different people. It's also nice how even though the main events in both books are present, there are also differences that make both books, well, different. Another reason I really love this book is that there are French words in it!! Actual real French words!! Now you may be wondering why that matters. Well, I take French and it's just so cool to see how much I understand...more
Lindsay Collett
Childhood memory: None ... Okay, so this isn't technically one of the American Girl books I read as a kid. But, my memories of those I did enjoy keep me interested in checking in on the historical American Girl books as AG publishes them.

Revisited review: Overall, this particular series is just okay. This review will be for all six books in the series. Not sure if I like the deviation from the typical AG historical format (____ saves the day, happy birthday ____, etc.), but that seems to be the...more
Rebecca
This book is the second in the new American Girl series about Cécile and Marie-Grace, two nine-year-old girls from very different backgrounds who both live in New Orleans in 1853. This book takes place at the same time as Meet Marie-Grace, showing the same events from Cécile's perspective. Cécile comes from a wealthy and respected family from New Orleans' vibrant community of free people of color.

When the story begins, Cécile misses her older brother, who has gone to France to study, and can't...more
Samantha
In many ways this book reads like Marie-Grace's story, though from a different perspective. Reading both books back to back makes for an all too familiar read as many sections are written the same way they were in the previous book. From a series standpoint I didn't like that, but I did like reading about Cecile's family life and her own unique personality. Cecile shines in the scene where she stands up for herself and her grandfather as free people of color and her vulnerability shows when she...more
StoryStereo
Christina
Well. I think it's pretty lame that this is the same story as Meet Marie-Grace, this time told from Cécile's p.o.v. I hope future books aren't retellings, because I really like Cécile better than her counterpart. Isobel's interest waned quite a bit, probably because the story wasn't new and possibly also because some of the important ideas about racial prejudice went right over her five-year-old head. I loved learning about Gens de couleurs libres, though, and I think Isobel will too when she re...more
Lauren
I read Meet Marie-Grace first, and this book is the same story retold from Cecile's point of view. Cecile is very likeable as a character, but I felt they should have moved forward with the story instead of re-telling it. In general I'm not as captivated by the Marie Grace and Cecile stories as I was by Rebecca's, Josefina, Addy's, Samantha's, etc., but I'm hoping they will become more interesting as they go on.
I wondered how the sharing of a series of books would work, and after reading this one I'm pleasantly surprised. Cecile's attitude in one scene from book one was explained in this book. Shows there are two sides to the story. I am overwhelmed by the lives Free People of Color lived in New Orleans in the 1850s. I'd love to read a history of race relations in that city.
Ashley
We loved this book--I learned more about free people of color in New Orleans, and Abby and I talked about slavery. I love the little history sections in the back of the books that explain some of the historical issues the characters face. However, come to find out I cannot do a good French accent. I also cannot pronounce the French names without bothering Abby:)
Amanda Wheet
I found this at the library and picked it up, wanting to test out the "new" American Girls. While the central story is decent, the novel overall falls flat. Cecile is a very thin character, time jumps enormously, and the illustrations are dreadful. However, American Girl does well in creating a world for Cecile and Marie-Grace that is well researched.
ReadingWench
Cecile. Quite an interesting girl who many readers might learn a lot from.

We all hear about slaves and their struggles in the south. Hardly anyone knows of the people of color who were free at the same time.

As always, the American Girl series, educates and entertains children with historic accuracy.

AR 4.6
Karol
I adore Cecile! She has a wonderful heart and a kind spirit. I really like that she made it possible for her and Marie-Grace to experience both Mardi Gras Balls. I cherish the history lesson in Cecile's story and in the Looking Back chapter. I look forward to getting to know Cecile and Marie-Grace better in their other books.
Kersten
Cecile's story is so much more interesting than Marie-Grace's. It's better written, her character is different than any other American Girl character I've read (she's such a pretty doll). I still wish they had picked a slightly different time period, but I think Cecile has a great personality that a lot of girls will relate to.
Dani
The Marie-Grace/Cécile series is not as historically based as the other series nor does it address issues as serious as the others. It glosses over things and is extremely superficial. Considering the basis for the series, it could have been very well done and interesting, but came up extremely short.
Kristine Pratt
Seems a bit slower than the book about Marie-Grace but that might be because it's the other half of the same story - so you know what's coming for the most part with few surprises. I'm not sure I like this method of story-telling. Though I do like Cecile.
Sydney
its about Mardi Gras is coming up and Cecile is so excited but she is even more excited about her brother coming home from Paris.then she meets a girl and becomes friends with her.so she and the girl she meets goes on a amazing adventure.
Kristen Luppino
Really like the idea of these two stories intertwining, but didn't like how much the dialogue was exactly the same in places. It seems like laziness, though I would like to keep reading the series.
Mrspam4ever
I loved it, like all the American Girl Books! I loved how the same story was told by both sides.
Madalyn H
My favorite part of this book was when Cecile got to see her brother after two years in France. Armand was in France studying and he finally came home and everyone was really happy.
Traci
This was basically "Meet Marie-Grace" from Cécile's perspective. Cute, and I liked Cécé, but I would have liked to have seen a little more originality.
Stephanie Carlson
Same story as "Meet Marie Grace" but from Cecile's perspective, so I found it a bit redundant, but from Lydia's perspective it was a wonderful read.
I really like hearing another version of Meet Marie-Grace. Cecile is a lively character who is very easy to like. What a good story!
Nancy Brown
The new American Girl lives in New Orleans. She is from a well to do family and volunteers at an orphanage. I enjoyed this book.
  • Meet Marie-Grace (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #1)
  • Meet Caroline (American Girls: Caroline, #1)
  • Changes for Josefina: A Winter Story
  • Candlelight for Rebecca (American Girls: Rebecca, #3)
  • Kaya Shows the Way: A Sister Story (American Girls: Kaya, #5)
  • Happy New Year, Julie (American Girls: Julie, #3)
Troubles for Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #4) Cécile's Gift (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #6) A Matter of Souls The Car Washing Street Red Dancing Shoes