Start by marking “I Will Repay” as Want to Read:
I Will Repay
read book* *Different edition

I Will Repay (The Scarlet Pimpernel #3)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  541 ratings  ·  48 reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Paperback
Published October 11th 2007 by BiblioLife (first published 1906)

To ask other readers questions about I Will Repay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Will Repay

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles DickensThe Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska OrczyMadame Tussaud by Michelle MoranMarie Antoinette by Antonia FraserA Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel
The French Revolution
122nd out of 132 books — 157 voters
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo IshiguroEverything That Rises Must Converge by Flannery O'ConnorAre You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy BlumeRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom StoppardSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
Titlemania III: Whole-Sentence Titles
373rd out of 655 books — 74 voters

More lists with this book...

Elaine
Jun 11, 2008 Elaine rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of The Scarlet Pimpernel
I Will Repay is the first of many sequels to Baroness Orczy's The Scarlet Pimpernel, and is, likewise, set amidst the French Revolution. Though I did not think it was quite as good as the original book, I liked it all the same. I Will Repay centers around two new main characters, Juliette Marny and Paul Deroulede. Years before the Revolution, Juliette's brother was killed in a fair fight by Deroulede, and her deranged father had Juliette swear to avenge her brother's death. In the aftermath of ...more
Rosemary Morris

I Will Repay by Baroness Orczy was first published on September 27th, 1906. The quotation the baroness chose for the novel is: “Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.” – Romans. Xii. 19.

Forced by an oath to take revenge on the duellist, who killed her brother in a sword fight, Juliette Marnay, daughter of the old Monsieur le Duc de Marny, will be at the mercy of the mob during the French Revolution. She will also be at the mercy of conflicting loyalites and emotions, which will lead to
Barbara
I Will Repay is a sequel to The Scarlet Pimpernel, the fictional English hero who, through clever planning and disguises, rescues many who are slated for the guillotine during the French Revolution.

The story begins with a heated argument between young Vicomte de Marny and the older Paul Déroulède. De Marny is accidentally killed, and even though the fight was fair, de Marny makes his 14 year old daughter Juliette swear that she will avenge her brother's death.

Ten years later the French Revolut
Tasha
If this wasn't a eBook, I would set fire to it.
Amanda Allen
Depending on your list of sequels this may or may not be the 2nd book. I think the reason for that is that some of the sequels follow directly the actions of the Pimpernel. I have yet to read one that directly follows the Pimpernel, so we’ll see if I’m right.

The rest of the novels seem to follow other dudes, but the Pimpernel shows up. I Will Repay is of the second sort. The main characters in this book are a french dude who has some sort of government post and wants to free Marie Antoinette and
Rick Davis
I really enjoyed "The Scarlet Pimpernel". I also liked the sequel, "The Elusive Pimpernel". These books are goofy and silly, but they work because the author clearly knows what she's writing and avoids any pretensions to the contrary.

Unfortunately, it appears that Baroness Orczy wanted to overstep her limits in "I Will Repay". The story centers on a young girl who is caught between opposing forces, her faithfulness to her father, and her love for the man she has sworn to kill. Dickens could have
Amy
A very cute novel.
Yes, the Scarlet Pimpernel.
Cute.
It seems like a sacrilege to say it, but the ending of this book made it that. It was adorable. Romantic. Passionate. But the ending was so lacking. It was to predictable, to easy. Despite all the frequent comments that this would be "The Scarlet Pimpernel's Most Difficult Situation Yet..." I didn't feel like it was.
Oh, Percy was a genius. Of course. When is he not? But sometimes....a little less about Robespierre's water sea eyes and a bit mo
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in May 2000.

In this melodramatic romance set during the French Revolution, the factor that has ensured it a measure of survival (the involvement of the Scarlet Pimpernel) is fairly incidental to the plot, as he is basically a supernatural element to bring a successful resolution in an impossible situation. It is the silliest and least realistic of the Scarlet Pimpernel novels, and it is also the one which has dated the most.

The plot is about revenge (hence th
The UHQ Nasanta
Nic
A 3.5, really. So . . . I can sort of see why the sequels to The Scarlet Pimpernel aren't as well-known as the original story. The prose is vividly violet, the characters get utterly overwhelmed by their emotions frequently and with an almost comical earnestness, and there's a lot of telling-not-showing and some really black-and-white good and evil characters.

Still, the book was fun in some ways. I always like the Pimpernel and his clever schemes. The sweet - if sometimes weird when viewed throu
Stacy
While not as good as The Scarlet Pimpernel, this was still a fun, fast read that I couldn't help but get caught up in. Shed some more light on the dreadful times of the French Revolution as well. The book opens with a duel between a young boy and a slightly older man. The boys death causes the emotional collapse of his father who makes the boy's sister promise the seek revenge on the other man. From there, the book takes us on the girl's journey as she tries to wrestle between the solemn oath sh ...more
Suzannah
Charming, but so silly! Not a good use of my time!
Grace
I enjoyed this book. Monsieur Derroulade was a very likeable fellow: so chivalrous, kind and noble! The climax and end were not as good as some others of the Pimpernel tales, but still, "I Will Repay" deserves its place in the series. :)

As a side-note, I also like how a Christian worldview is portrayed, for the most part, throughout the Scarlet Pimpernel books. It is not often that one finds action and adventure, romance, historical fiction, and a swashbuckling, well-told tale complete with goo
Rachel
Another entertaining Scarlet Pimpernel story. The story starts before the French Revolution when Paul Derolede kills a young man in a duel that he tried very hard to avoid. Several years later, Juliette Marny, the young man's sister, comes to fulfill a vow she made to her dying father to avenge her brother's death. It's a sweet love story set with the back drop of Paris during the French Revoltion, as many of the Scarlet Pimpernel books are. The version I read had some spelling mistakes and wron ...more
Eirene
Love! Love! Love! Although it does not top The Scarlet Pimpernel (and, truly, what could?), I Will Repay is a fantastic sequal. Sir Percy is not the main character, but his brief appearances are so quintessentially him, I fall in love with him all over again. The story is a perfect juxtaposing with that of Percy and Marguerite, in the original. The Baroness seems to warm to the theme of redemption. I also love her style of writing as well as her adventurous plots. A must for any lover of The Lea ...more
Kaycie
I enjoyed the book but there wasn't as much of the Scarlet Pimpernel in this book until the end. The book gave a little more insight into how the leadership of the French Revolution operated and, sadly, how easy it was to denounce someone. The Pimpernel deffinately shows up and shows off his cleverness. It wasn't quite as good as "The Scarlet Pimpernel" in my opinon. I think it is still worth reading, though, since "I Will Repay" does continue to develop the character of the Scarlet Pimpenel.
Elise
Feb 27, 2011 Elise rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who liked the first SP book - though don't expect to see much of Percy here.
A tad silly and melodramatic, but still a fun read. The romance wasn't as compelling as that in the first book, and the hero isn't as swoon-worthy as Sir Percy. However, this is more evenly paced than its predecessor: whereas The Scarlet Pimpernel took 8 chapters or so to hit its stride, I Will Repay was fun and engrossing from the first page. As others have noted, the conclusion of the book and the romance perhaps wasn't as satisfying as it could have been.
Ramya
One of many sequels following the adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernal through the tumultuous times of the birth and death of the first French Republic during the Reign of Terror during the French Revolution. This is a period romance novel centered around Sir Percy's friend in Paris who in the end is helped by the Pimpernal to escape into freedom and love away from hatred and vengeance.
Alis
Our hero _Pimpernel_ seized the spotlight least (so far) in this the #3 installment in Orczy's series. Consequently, the story lacks the intensity of certain elements of adventure, clever scheming and plain good humor (abounding in the original). A good 'lighter' read though with its rich threads of 'romance' worked well into the familiar Paris setting during the Reign of Terror.
Teresa
Jun 17, 2014 Teresa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
"Her prose is really well-pitched and effective throughout-full of passion for her subjects. So despite that I despised her heroine for existing and seethed at the weak stereotyping of women, I ended up actually enjoying it despite myself. "
read more: http://likeiamfeasting.blogspot.gr/20...
Cameron
Not a bad book and a quick read. this is different than the first Scarlet Pimpernel book where you see everything from the perspective of The Pimpernel. This book is from the perspective of someone he saves from the guillotine. I enjoyed it after I got used to not seeing Sir Percey so much. If you are a fan then you should read this.
David Nichols
A dreadful book. The characters were one-dimensional, the plot thin and predictable, the final chase scene sketchy and dull. Only the author's utter contempt for working-class people kept me reading, in a state of horrified semi-fascination. The other redeeming virtue of this novel is its price: it's available for free on Gutenberg.org.
Jenalyn
More of a love story and the Scarlet Pimpernel isn't in this one as much. It isn't as funny as some of the books but none of the characters went off and did something so stupid I wanted to kill them. So if you are a Pimpernel fan read it and you'll most likely enjoy but not love this one.
Jane
I can't help it. I need more Pimpernel!

***

Okay, still so good. But I didn't get any masked-avenger action until the last two chapters! I need more than that! This one had a little more description of the Jacobins than I was looking for, but the final action was good. Satisfying!
Stephanie
Not as wonderful as the first book as it does not include Sir Percy nearly as much until the end, where he performs a rather simple role.
However, it is a sweet love story that parallels Sir Percy and Marguerite's in the sense that there is misunderstanding and betrayal.
Jill
More fun French Revolution lit from the Brit perspective. Utterly predictable and had some really obnoxious descriptions of the stereotypical idiot/angel dream female of the time period. The Scarlet Pimpernel is much better, but I still enjoyed this one.
Stefanie
This one was a lot better than ElDorado. And, of course, nothing could be quite as good as The Scarlet Pimpernel. But this one was really very good. It read fast, and had a great Scarlet Pimpernel twist, which is why we read these books, right?
Jun 23, 2011 Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
A good sequel to The Scarlet Pimpernel. Well writen, but I can begin to see her pattern unfold. And I found parts of the love story....gaggingly obnoxiously lovey-dovey. Perhaps I just need more of a break.
Jana
After reading "The Scarlet Pimpernell," I thought I should read this, the next book in the series. However, I found the plot to be very predictable for the most part, especially after reading the first book.
Allison
Another scarlet pimpernel story. I thought it was great! Very clever and adventurous like The Scarlet Pimpernel. The main story doesn't revolve around Percy, but he is involved.
  • Men of Iron
  • The Boy Colonel: A Soldier Without a Name
  • Beric the Briton
  • The Sea-Hawk
  • Rebel's Keep (Crown and Covenant, #3)
  • In Search of Honor
  • The Spear
  • The Man With Two Left Feet (Jeeves, #0.5)
  • Lucy Maud Montgomery Short Stories: 1904
  • Pearl-Maiden: A Tale of the Fall of Jerusalem
  • To Have and to Hold: A Tale of Providence and Perseverance in Colonial Jamestown
  • The Spy
  • A Father's Promise
  • Death of a Lake
Full name: Emma ("Emmuska") Magdolna Rozália Mária Jozefa Borbála Orczy de Orczi was a Hungarian-British novelist, best remembered as the author of THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL (1905). Baroness Orczy's sequels to the novel were less successful. She was also an artist, and her works were exhibited at the Royal Academy, London. Her first venture into fiction was with crime stories. Among her most popular c ...more
More about Emmuska Orczy...
The Scarlet Pimpernel The Elusive Pimpernel  El Dorado: Further Adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel The League Of The Scarlet Pimpernel The Adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel

“Is it love to worship a saint in heaven, whom you dare not touch, who hovers above you like a cloud, which floats away from you even as you gaze? To love is to feel one being in the world at one with us, our equal in sin as well as in virtue. To love, for us men, is to clasp one woman with our arms, feeling that she lives and breathes just as we do, suffers as we do, thinks with us, loves with us, and, above all, sins with us. Your mock saint who stands in a niche is not a woman if she have not suffered, still less a woman if she have not sinned. Fall at the feet of your idol an you wish, but drag her down to your level after that- the only level she should ever reach, that of your heart.” 3 likes
“Even the sparrows on the house-tops are objects of suspicion.” 2 likes